Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 01-14-2017, 07:03 PM   #1
popup

Default Bad side effects

Hi everyone
I'm into my tenth day of 2mg subutex daily. I had a very mild oxy habit for about 8 months prior. I'm finding I'm getting very depressed and very anxious, almost panic attack---like symptoms. I'm wishing either just to quit, or if needed, to taper. The w/d from the oxycodone --20mg daily, is surely over. I'd appreciate any suggestions.
popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2017, 08:15 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi popup, welcome. Were you addicted to the oxy or physically dependent? Here's the difference:

The American Academy of Pain Medicine, American Pain Society, and American Society of Addiction Medicine, recognizes these definitions below as the current accepted definitions.

I. Addiction:
Addiction is a primary, chronic, neurobiologic disease, with genetic, psychosocial, and environmental factors influencing its development and manifestations. It is characterized by behaviors that include one or more of the following: impaired control over drug use, compulsive use, continued use despite harm, and craving.

II. Physical Dependence:
Physical dependence is a state of adaptation that is manifested by a drug class specific withdrawal syndrome that can be produced by abrupt cessation, rapid dose reduction, decreasing blood level of the drug, and/or administration of an antagonist.

III. Tolerance:
Tolerance is a state of adaptation in which exposure to a drug induces changes that result in a diminution of one or more of the drug’s effects over time.

Have you spoken with your doctor about how you're feeling? Maybe you can try stopping and seeing how that goes for you?

2mg could be overkill for 20mg daily of oxycodone, so either stopping or tapering to 1mg and on down from there could be options.

Sorry for all the questions.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2017, 12:47 PM   #3
popup

Thanks NancyB
I guess I'll try going down to 1mg and see how that works. I'm afraid of becoming addicted to the subutex. If I were to just quit would I have a hard time after 10 days at 2mg?
Unread 01-15-2017, 03:44 PM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi again, I'm not sure about if you were to just quit because what happened is that the Suboxone continued your physical dependence on opiates because it is an opiate. But in the sense of addiction, it stopped cravings and withdrawals so you could concentrate on fix ing anything that was damaged during addiction such as finances, relationships, etc. So, in my opinion, your biggest question is were you addicted (addiction: uncontrollable, compulsive behavior despite negative consequences)?

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 01-15-2017, 05:15 PM   #5
popup

Hi Nancy
I guess the real problem is that the subutex made me depressed and very anxious form the beginning. I started it after being off of my whimpy 20mg ocy habit for a week. I had already finished the w/ds...wasn't too bad. I chose to go on subutex so I wouldn't be tempted again. The panic and dizziness are just too much for me. Today I dropped to 1mg and feel the same. I think I'm just going to stop and use Xanax or diazepam to mitigate the w/d.
I really appreciate your input. I think I used because I'm retired and a bit bored with things. I need to do some work toward more involvement with others, etc.
I don't feel as if I was ever really addicted at all as opposed to the people I bought my stuff from. No financial or personal problems, except maybe aimlessness and lack of purpose. There's where my work is.
Thanks again.
One User Says Thank You to popup For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-15-2017)
Unread 01-15-2017, 07:24 PM   #6
NancyB
Administrator

Hi popup, I can see why 2mg of bupe effected you like that - especially after being off of everything for a week. If you do think you might be tempted, you can always talk with your doctor about naltrexone. Naltrexone is an opioid antagonist - you won't have any opioid effect like with bupe - but it will block opiates from reaching the opioid receptors. You could actually take that if you do get tempted as a precaution. Something to think about. Because of the 37-hour halflife of bupe, sometimes people don't feel a reduction for a day or two. So just be aware of that IF you do start feeling some WDs.

That's great that you've been thinking about it and figured it could be from boredom. Maybe volunteering in an area that you have an interest might be a good thing. Or is there a hobby you've been wanting to try? The town I live in has continuing education classes in everything from learning a new language to fitness classes, is there something like that in your town?

Please let us know how it goes, if you want. I hope it's very smooth and uneventful!

Nancy
Unread 01-19-2017, 11:26 AM   #7
popup

Default Day 4

I've gotten to day 4 without any subutex. I'm having a horrible time with focusing and feelings of depression and anxiety. Am I at the worst part yet? I have used a few xanax to help at night for sleep and panic-like attacks. I still have two subutex pills left and was wondering if I should break them into halves or quarters and try and ease the w/d. But if I'm near the end why screw it up. Any advice or input would be welcome.
Unread 01-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #8
NancyB
Administrator

Hi popup, can you relate how you're feeling now to when you have had withdrawals before?

Nancy
Unread 01-19-2017, 09:33 PM   #9
popup

Default Now

Oddly, this evening I started to feel a bit better. Don't know if it's temporary or not. I think I'll go along with not reinstating. I feel I may have hit the worst. Different sites say days 4 and 5 are the worst. I don't ever want opiates or subutex, whatever, in my system again. What a pain
Thanks Nancy
Reed

If anything changes I'll let you know. As to your question about prior w/d, they seemed much shorter and more intense. This seemed to stretch out for a long timed and was more depressing than anxious.
Unread 01-20-2017, 05:39 AM   #10
NancyB
Administrator

Hi popup, hopefully you're feeling even better this morning. Fingers crossed!

Nancy