Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 09-04-2016, 03:28 PM   #1
jimash55

Default Generic Bupe tablet vs. Bupe/ Naloxone film

I am presently involved in a dispute with the Veterans Adm. because they are denying me the film that I was prescribed at the Washington D C hospital. They will only give me the Hi-Tech generic tablet. I'm sure it is a cost effective thing but that's on them.
Hopefully someone can help me- does anyone know of any literature or study that states the film has a better biovalibilty rate than the generic tablet. This would help my arguement a great deal.
Thanks and have a great day... Stay Strong!!
jimash55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2016, 10:58 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Jim, oddly enough, look at what I found on the VA.gov site, although it's not about the Suboxone film, it's about the Bunavail film that goes on the inside of the cheek.

http://www.pbm.va.gov/PBM/clinicalgu...ted_Review.pdf

"The main difference between buprenorphine / naloxone buccal film and sublingual tablets is a two-fold greater bioavailability due to greater absorption."

Again from the VA, this IS about the Suboxone film:
http://www.mirecc.va.gov/visn4/Bulletins/Feb13BP.pdf
"...The FDA indicated there was a “potentially greater bioavailability” of the film over the tablet product."

Do you think that will help? If not, I'll keep looking for more.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2016, 11:14 AM   #3
jimash55

Default Film

Thanks for the info Nancy and it may be helpful but I need info on the original film. Has anyone else complained about those generic Hi -Tech( N8on one side and a arrow on the other)..,,horrible!
jimash55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2016, 07:48 AM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Jim, that second link in my post is about the Suboxone Film and it's from the VA.

Here's something else I found from the VA. I like using the VAs own documents because how can they contradict what they said! Well, I suppose they can... in any event, here it is:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&hl=en&ct=clnk

"Because of interindividual variation in pharmacokinetics and because the film did not meet all FDA criteria for bioequivalence to the SL tablets, some individuals may need dosage modification. Patients being switched from the tablets to the film should be monitored for potential overmedication, and those being switched from film to tablets should be monitored for possible underdosage and withdrawal symptoms."

Which pretty much says that there is better bioavailability with the film.

As for the generics, we've had people over the years complain about all the brands. Which probably stems from going from the film to a tablet and the lesser bioavailability with the tablets.

Hopefully that helps!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote