Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 01-14-2015, 08:26 PM   #101
SecretTiger

Congratulations! I hope to be writing those words in due time. You, and all the other great people here, are helping me get there one moment and one day at a time.

Thank you!
SecretTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to SecretTiger For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-15-2015), Thank You (01-15-2015)
Unread 01-15-2015, 12:36 PM   #102
iamtrying

Good morning,

Thank you SecretTiger, Susie, lostdog and all...

Day 24 no drinks feeling good...

yesterday, i cooked nice food and enjoyed a movie....

Remembering again, One day at a time, I am responsible for my actions and their consequences ...think thru the first drink...relax and easy....stay strong...I make my choice and I live with it...

Thank you all so much for the support...and thank you God ....

Have a great wonderful day...
iamtrying is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to iamtrying For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-15-2015), Thank You (01-15-2015)
Unread 01-15-2015, 08:15 PM   #103
R. Lee

Great job iamtrying. You inspire new people to the site.
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-16-2015)
Unread 01-15-2015, 09:37 PM   #104
gmasusie

Congrats on Day 24!

Susie
gmasusie is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to gmasusie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-16-2015)
Unread 01-15-2015, 10:15 PM   #105
SecretTiger

Congratulations on day 24!
One User Says Thank You to SecretTiger For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-16-2015)
Unread 01-16-2015, 09:11 AM   #106
jenm

You are doing so well, iamtrying! I am so proud of you. You show us that this can be as simple as that. One day at a time. Keep it up! Jenm
jenm is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to jenm For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-16-2015)
Unread 01-16-2015, 12:26 PM   #107
iamtrying

Good morning...

Thank you JenM, Susie, Rlee, SecretTiger and all...

Day 25 no drinks feeling good...

Prior to 25 days ....most of the mornings i woke up saying Oh Shit with hangover...trying to pretend everything will get better as day goes by and drink lot of water and coffee etc etc. just to the beat hangover, I wasted my energy and time to just feel better from hangover..on top of feeling guilty of drinking..as evening came by sunset mostly i was ready again for next drink, any simple reason good or bad was good enough to pick up the drink.That was the vicious cycle I lived...

Today, I don't have to deal with that. I wake up fresh and great ideas come to mind as to how my day should be., I am more proactive than reactive...I definitely feel i am better person than what I used to be..but this is only beginning of my journey...Thank you all...Thank you God..

Again remembering, One day at a time, I am responsible for my actions and their consequences, Think thru the first drink...try to make best and efficient use of day...relax and easy...

Thank you all for your support...It helps me a lot...

Thank You (01-16-2015), Thank You (01-16-2015)
Unread 01-16-2015, 03:02 PM   #108
R. Lee

iamtrying, More will be revealed!!
Thank You (01-17-2015)
Unread 01-16-2015, 07:41 PM   #109
gmasusie

RLee is right. It only gets better.
Thank You (01-17-2015)
Unread 01-16-2015, 09:43 PM   #110
SecretTiger

iamtrying, that's great to hear! I read somewhere (probably here) someone said "I feel glad that I didn't drink last night. I've never thought I'm glad I did drink last night." I couldn't agree more.

We're getting closer to breaking the vicious cycle you talked about day by day.
One User Says Thank You to SecretTiger For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-17-2015)
Unread 01-17-2015, 12:43 AM   #111
gmasusie

So true!
2 Users Say Thank You to gmasusie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-17-2015), Thank You (01-19-2015)
Unread 01-17-2015, 04:21 PM   #112
iamtrying

Good afternoon...

Thank you RLee, Susie, SecretTiger and all...

Day 26 no drinks, feeling good...

Nice Sat morning today....Usually, my sat mornings were filled with guilt of Fri night drinking and something stupid I said to someone and I used to not even remember what the hell I said....and not to say fighting hangover...Now, I don't deal with those situations, makes my life easy and composed and can focus on better things...

Again remembering, one day at a time, I am responsible for my actions and their consequences, Think through the first drink...relax and take it easy...

Thanks you all for your support and Thank God....

Have a great day...
Thank You (01-18-2015), Thank You (01-18-2015)
Unread 01-17-2015, 08:43 PM   #113
lostdog

Nice job! Way to be so positive.
lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to lostdog For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-18-2015)
Unread 01-18-2015, 10:19 AM   #114
Tryntryagain

Good afternoon I Am Trying. Bright blessings to you.

What a positive attitude. It will get you to just about anywhere you want to go in life.

Isn't it so lovely not to have those thumping hangovers over the weekend? That "yukky" feeling that demotivates and ends up with us curled up in our shells. Your attitude yells life is for living, indeed it is, simply, and 1 day at a time.

I also want to thank you personally for the support you have given me on my journey. It has been a difficult time for a sober alcoholic, and through the power of the individuals in this family, i am sober this day. Thank you I Am Trying.

Be peaceful, be healthy and be strong. Loveness to you I Am Trying.
Tryntryagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2015, 11:47 AM   #115
R. Lee

iamtrying, Congratulations. Keep doing what you are doing now.
Thank You (01-19-2015)
Unread 01-18-2015, 12:10 PM   #116
iamtrying

Good morning...

Thank you RLee, Tyrn and lostdog and all...

Tyrn - you have been very motivational to all of us, you spawned from endurance to performance by showing us the time you have gone through and most importantly maintained to be sober...kudos to you brother...peace.

Day 27 no drinks...feeling good...

Remembering again, One day at a time, I am responsible for my actions and their consequences...think through the first drink...easy and relax...

I remember, I hated kids in my college who smoked and drank...soon in my 3rd year engineering it all started...there was no party without me...My parents were from very conservative family never smoked or drank...I was like an wild animal once I was out of the house into the college...I did very well in my college graduated with hons, got a great job..but mostly drank on weekends...but it caught up..slowly drinking in weekdays...but by no means it affected anything...I further completed two master degrees still drinking and read for my exams when i was drunk...surprisingly did well...i had gpas close to 4...later when i started drinking consistently almost every night ..but didn't impact my work or anything..so i kept drinking...I seriously felt i was not progressing enough in my career...when i analyzed it was all the drinking that was causing my hold back...i didn't want to be in status quo for rest of my career...I had to make changes in my life, with my habits, with my behavior, Today, I feel I have made 1% progress..more work to do on my part and keep my sober going...I am very thankful to all my friends here to help me express and to vent and to make myself sure i do the right thing....thank you , thank you, thank you and thank God..

Again,Thank you all for your support and motivation...

Have a great wonderful day....
3 Users Say Thank You to iamtrying For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-18-2015), Thank You (01-18-2015), Thank You (01-19-2015)
Unread 01-18-2015, 12:39 PM   #117
gmasusie

Iamtrying,

Congrats on Day 27!

I know it is a leap of faith to take a deep breath and share more of yourself with us here, but the more you connect, the more powerful the bond and the support.

I speak from experience. Keep sharing!

Susie
3 Users Say Thank You to gmasusie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-19-2015), Thank You (01-18-2015), Thank You (01-19-2015)
Unread 01-18-2015, 02:54 PM   #118
R. Lee

iamtrying, Thanks for the insight into your drinking history. A lot of people picture the alcoholic as something like a street person who never amounted to anything. Not the case.

Yes you were able to do many thing very well while drinking. I ran & completed 9 marathons while drinking everyday. I started running at 38 while I was fired from my career job for an off duty drinking incident. I was also going through my 2nd divorce at the time. Oh yeah the night of the incident that I was fired for my 11 year od daughter was home. She was visiting me from here home 2,500 miles away. No quality time with this drunk father. Drinking was my priority in life.

My parents did not drink or smoke either. I was raised right but chose to live life in a very selfish way always putting myself 1st.

You come in here with your degrees & instead of having you head in the clouds wishing to know an easier softer way you put your nose to the grindstone & take the simplest ideas like just for today, think the 1st drink through & I am responsible for my actions. You continue to mount the days up working a simple message that so many are not able to do.

Congratulations to you. As I have told others you help me to stay sober. Keep it up.

Last edited by R. Lee; 01-18-2015 at 03:04 PM..
Thank You (01-19-2015)
Unread 01-19-2015, 08:40 AM   #119
SecretTiger

iamtrying, congratulations on how far you've come already! You and everybody else here inspire me and convince me I'm on the right path.

It's interesting, I also got my master's degree, worked well, got published, ran marathons (and a couple of ultra-marathons) all while drinking heavily. As I mentioned before, I've had dry spells but never enough to commit properly to anything (besides drinking, that is).

Like you, I'm spending some time reevaluating what I want to do and how to go about it. Being here and sharing these experiences is helping the process along very well.
2 Users Say Thank You to SecretTiger For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-19-2015), Thank You (01-19-2015)
Unread 01-19-2015, 01:33 PM   #120
jenm

Hey iamtrying!

I am SO proud of you for how far you have come. Continue to keep it simple. Just keep it simple! Yes there are many of us who have accomplished a lot while still functioning as alcoholics, I am one of them as well. The only reason I completed my Master's degree with a 4.0 was because I was pregnant with my first two sons throughout grad school so I wasn't drinking. It didn't last forever though.....

Something that I notice in you is your ability to be humble. That is huge. We have to be able to humble ourselves in that alcohol has us beat. We are not the best thing that ever happened to this world and we are also not the center of the world. Frankly, we are not all that! It really isn't about thinking less of ourselves, it is thinking of ourselves less.

Keep up the good work, you are doing just fine! Jenm
3 Users Say Thank You to jenm For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-19-2015), Thank You (01-19-2015), Thank You (01-19-2015)
Unread 01-19-2015, 06:29 PM   #121
iamtrying

Good afternoon...

Thank you RLee, Susie, SecretTiger, and JenM and all...

Day 28 no drinks, feeling good...

Thank you and appreciate for all the kind words, means a lot to me...

Remembering, again, one day at a time, I am responsible for my actions and their consequences...think thru the first drink....easy and relax...

Had a little rough day at work today...but I am handling it well...I ate my butterfingers felt good and moving on...

Thank you all for your support....

Have a great wonderful day....
Thank You (01-19-2015), Thank You (01-20-2015), Thank You (01-19-2015)
Unread 01-19-2015, 10:27 PM   #122
R. Lee

Congratulations on 28 days.
Thank You (01-20-2015)
Unread 01-20-2015, 12:33 AM   #123
gmasusie

Rough days are normal. Not drinking over them is exceptional!! Good for you.

Susie
Thank You (01-20-2015), Thank You (01-20-2015), Thank You (01-20-2015)
Unread 01-20-2015, 10:19 AM   #124
iamtrying

Good morning...

Thank you RLee, Susie and all...

Day 29 ...no drinks feeling good....

Again remembering, One day at a time, I am responsbile for my actions and their consequences....Think thru the first drink....easy and relax...

Thank you all and have a great day....
One User Says Thank You to iamtrying For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-21-2015)
Unread 01-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #125
R. Lee

iantrying, Great job congratulations on 29 days.
Thank You (01-20-2015)
Unread 01-20-2015, 01:49 PM   #126
iamtrying

There is networking event today evening...there will be lot of booze...I am preparing myself to stay sober and strong, I will stick with soft drink or sparkling water...

I cannot avoid these, more coming up, but have to stay strong...any tips....regardless, i will be sober..
Unread 01-20-2015, 02:47 PM   #127
jenm

Hi iamtrying!

Make sure that you have a way out of this thing if you feel tempted to drink. Will your car be there? Make sure that you have a plan of escape to get out of there if you need to. NOTHING is worth drinking over. Remember where the first drink will take you - remember how you felt at the end of your drinking. People who do not have a problem with alcohol can have one drink and not think about it. Those of us on the other end, however, have one and are already planning the next several. You can do this and we are here. Jenm
3 Users Say Thank You to jenm For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-20-2015), Thank You (01-21-2015), Thank You (01-21-2015)
Unread 01-20-2015, 04:25 PM   #128
R. Lee

iamtrying, You know what you have to do. We are here for you.
2 Users Say Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-20-2015), Thank You (01-21-2015)
Unread 01-20-2015, 07:03 PM   #129
gmasusie

If you get water or soft drink as soon as you arrive, people generally don't bother you if you already have a glass in hand. Planand practice what you'll say, "No, thanks, I'll just have _____ tonight." or whatever is comfortable before you go, in case someone asks you. You can do this!

Susie
Unread 01-20-2015, 07:40 PM   #130
SecretTiger

One of the things I've read over and over about people who want to stop drinking is they find it difficult to explain why they're not drinking.

So far I've found the one moment/day at a time to be incredibly helpful, so I've adapted it for the couple of times so far I've been around people drinking. I just said "I don't want to drink today" or "I can't drink because I'm driving" or "I don't feel like drinking". All of them are true and avoid the explanation that might be asked for if I said "I've stopped drinking".

Good luck. If my experience so far is anything to go on, I'm already feeling better than I have in a long time, so that's a positive I want to hold on to.
3 Users Say Thank You to SecretTiger For This Useful Post:
Unread 01-20-2015, 11:11 PM   #131
iamtrying

Good evening...

thanks JenM, RLee, Susie and secretTiger...

I came back couple of hours ago, I didn't drink...I had diet mountain dew and water...and ate food...my presentation went well too...

Glad that I didn't drink and I didn't get any kind of carving too...

thanks again for all the support, greatly appreciate...

have a great night..
Thank You (01-21-2015), Thank You (01-21-2015)
Unread 01-21-2015, 09:20 AM   #132
R. Lee

Great job iamtrying.
Unread 01-21-2015, 10:48 AM   #133
gmasusie

Wonderful! Isn't it empowering? It really boosted my self-esteem and knowledge that I could live sober!
Thank You (01-21-2015)
Unread 01-21-2015, 11:21 AM   #134
iamtrying

Good morning,

Thank you RLee and Susie and all....

Day 30 no drinks feeling good...

Yesterday's network event went well...I didn't feel any craving at all, which is a good sign..

Again, remembering, One day at a time, I am responsible for my actions and their consequences, Think thru the first drink...stay strong and easy and be relaxed...

Thank you all for your support and strength... it means a lot to me...I hit 30 days mark today ...Just because of all of you, Each of you is Awesome! and helps me stay sober...Thank you so much...Thank you God.

Unread 01-21-2015, 02:30 PM   #135
Tryntryagain

Good evening I Am Trying. Bright blessings to you.

I am so grateful to be a sober alcoholic at these times. Reading and listening to another finding their way.

Just 1 thing i would like to run past you, you say "i hit 30 days mark today, Just because of all of you".

You hit the 30 mark today "because of YOU". We are here to support you on that journey. What you have done is to chose managing life on lifes terms, that takes a whole heap of courage.

Some of the most amazing people on that planet are those that want to recover, and are recovering alcoholics my friend. You are fine company, and you are in fine company.

1 day at a time, and think through that first drink.

Be peaceful, keep strong and keep sharing. Loveness to you I Am Trying
One User Says Thank You to Tryntryagain For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-21-2015)
Unread 01-21-2015, 02:33 PM   #136
iamtrying

Thanks Tyrn

appreciate your kind words...

have a great day..
Unread 01-21-2015, 07:55 PM   #137
jenm

AWESOME iamtrying!!!!!!!!! I am so proud of you. You are keeping it simple and doing this. Yay!! Jenm
Thank You (01-22-2015)
Unread 01-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #138
R. Lee

iamtrying, Congratulations on 30 days. What a milestone. Probably a month ago you could not conceive doing this. You have because you paid attention.

My response to Tryn concerning his response to your post just shows how we can quickly get off course. Keep doing what you are doing.
Thank You (01-22-2015)
Unread 01-21-2015, 09:19 PM   #139
gmasusie

Congratulations! We are all proud of you.
Thank You (01-22-2015), Thank You (01-23-2015)
Unread 01-21-2015, 11:49 PM   #140
Saint

Congrats Iamtrying! You are learning to live sober, to experience life sober. The good and the bad. Remember what worked for you an be prepared as best you can for the times caught off guard. Don't be afraid to leave a situation if it threatens your sobriety. In the end it's just not worth it, for me anyways.
You're doing great. Keep at it!!!!

Saint
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to Saint For This Useful Post:
Unread 01-22-2015, 10:30 AM   #141
iamtrying

Good morning...

Thank you RLee, Susie, JenM, Saint and Tyrn and all...

Day 31 no drinks feeling good...

Again remembering, One day at a time, I am responsible for my actions and their consequences....think thru the first drink...

Thank you again all for your support...

Have a great wonderful bright day....
Unread 01-22-2015, 10:54 AM   #142
R. Lee

iamtrying, Congratulations on 31 days.
Unread 01-22-2015, 08:34 PM   #143
SecretTiger

31 days - brilliant! It's great to hear you're feeling good, too.
3 Users Say Thank You to SecretTiger For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-23-2015), Thank You (01-23-2015), Thank You (01-23-2015)
Unread 01-23-2015, 10:22 AM   #144
gmasusie

The world is brilliant sober, and so are you! Congratulations!
Thank You (01-23-2015), Thank You (01-23-2015)
Unread 01-23-2015, 05:10 PM   #145
iamtrying

Good afternoon...

Thank you Susie, RLee and SecretTiger and all

Day 32 no drinks and feeling good....

Again remembering, one day at a time, I am responsible for my actions and their consequences...Think through first drink...

Thank you all and have a great weekend...

Thank You (01-23-2015), Thank You (01-23-2015), Thank You (01-23-2015)
Unread 01-23-2015, 05:20 PM   #146
Tryntryagain

Good evening I Am Trying. Bright blessings to you.

There is a vibrancy about you that i recognise in Jenm. A "go and get it attitude", a willingness to learn from yourself and others. Both are difficult. You are making fine strides my friend.

Keep remembering that when things need nattering about, we are all here.

Be peaceful, enjoy your continuing growing and learning, Loveness to you I Am Trying
One User Says Thank You to Tryntryagain For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-24-2015)
Unread 01-23-2015, 06:51 PM   #147
R. Lee

Great job iamtrying. Keep it simple. It is working!
Thank You (01-24-2015)
Unread 01-24-2015, 12:00 AM   #148
Saint

You're doing it!!! Keep at and keep learning.

Peace,
Saint
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Saint For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-24-2015)
Unread 01-24-2015, 08:10 AM   #149
jenm

So good to hear, iamtrying! You help me stay sober today. Jenm
Thank You (01-24-2015)
Unread 01-24-2015, 12:17 PM   #150
iamtrying

Good morning...

Thank you RLee, JenM, Tyrn, Saint and all...

Day 33 no drinks feeling good....

Yesterday, I went into a computer store, An associate in the store came to help me, She started explaining me and suddenly she looked like she was missing or not remembering...When I saw closely, she was drunk and her hands were shaking...I felt like I wanted to talk to her about it...but I didn't, thought she could get fired...I bought what i wanted and walked out of the store...not sure if I could have done anything about her or she would have agreed to what I would say..thought of sharing here...

Again, remembering, One day at a time, I am responsible for my actions and their consequences...think through the first drink...

Have a great and wonderful day all....
4 Users Say Thank You to iamtrying For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-24-2015), Thank You (01-24-2015), Thank You (01-24-2015), Thank You (01-24-2015)