Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 12-19-2015, 02:03 PM   #701
Saint

Alexis, Lostdog,

Thank you for thinking of me. I'm doing ok given my Dad's health issues. The docs determined after another scan of his brain that the lesion they saw earlier is most likely malignant. It hasn't grown larger but has changed shape. They will treat it with radiation, 5 separate one hr. sessions in lieu of one massive dose. The separate sessions allow more accurate control, less intensity, and hopefully negate any side effects such as swelling which could lead to seizures. He needs to come off the medicine being used to treat the malignancy in his chest for a few days before. The combo of the radiation and the cancer meds being to much for the body. He's tired but otherwise doing relatively ok.

Thank you.

Saint
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2015, 03:26 PM   #702
Sam Bailey

Hi Saint,

Good to hear from you. You do know, don't you, Saint, that your are one of the bright spots on this forum, one of the most respected and well liked members of the site.

It's mostly due, IMO, to your kindness. Your support, too---of course. It's clear you're a good man, is my point.

So now that you're feeling such heartache, now that your Dad is suffering through his complicated health issues, people here WANT to embrace you (figuratively, at least)...and support YOU---and give YOU comfort.

Anyway.

To the extent that you have the time, please keep us folks updated. And, to the extent you're comfortable, share that heart pain with all of us. We can't fix it, but we can support you through your damn tough journey.

best Saint,

sam
Sam Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Sam Bailey For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-23-2015)
Unread 12-19-2015, 06:32 PM   #703
Alexis

Glad you are ok Saint, thinking of you & your dad, as always xxx
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Alexis For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-23-2015)
Unread 12-19-2015, 10:21 PM   #704
R. Lee

Saint, A tough time & we are here for you. Stay in touch from time to time.
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-23-2015)
Unread 12-19-2015, 11:08 PM   #705
gmasusie

Saint, you know what Tryn and I have been through this year. We really are with you, in spirit, mind and heart.
gmasusie is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to gmasusie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-23-2015)
Unread 12-20-2015, 03:23 PM   #706
Frankie

I lost my mom to a brain tumor, and that part of my life was the absolute pits. I'm not saying that's what is going on with your dad Saint, but going to the hospital, then the hospice, then loosing her in a month altogether was indescribably awful, and the pain would just not stop.

For me, the only thing that helps is knowing there really is an after life, and I will see both mom and dad when I pass. I really hope your dad pulls through and you get to keep him longer. Take care Saint.
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Say Thank You to Frankie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-20-2015), Thank You (12-20-2015), Thank You (12-23-2015), Thank You (12-23-2015)
Unread 12-23-2015, 01:54 AM   #707
Saint

Thank you Sam, Alexis, Lee, Susie.

I find my emotions close to the surface these days. I've been feeling low, down, 'blue', sad would be the word closest to how I feel.

Sam your words touch me and for some reason make my eyes well up.

This isn't me, not how I normally am and I don't like it. I am fortunate I have been able to excercise. It helps with the sadness..

My parents are selling their two cars to get a new one for my Mom. My Dad is preparing for the future and remains stoic and realistic, resigned perhaps with what he sees as his fate. He wants to get a picture of the immediate family and as much as it is normal I am left to wonder if this will be the last of us all together.

My Dad starts his radiation treatment today. He will have another round on Thursday and then three sessions on three different days the following week.

Frankie it is so nice to see you back here. I have missed you and your humor. I also take comfort knowing that should my father pass from this disease he will be in a better place, his soul meeting up with his Mom and Dad.

I will be running the Disney Half Marathon the second week of January. I am no where near the shape I am normally in for a race so I shall run accordingly. I will be running with my ex girlfriend and some other friends and am looking forward to this.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas. For those that don't acknowledge the day I wish you the love, happiness and peace you so richly deserve.

Peace,
Saint
2 Users Say Thank You to Saint For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-24-2015), Thank You (12-23-2015)
Unread 12-23-2015, 04:43 AM   #708
Alexis

Saint my heart aches for you. In a selfish way im terrified because my dad has cancer and although it isnt too serious right now, it has spread a small bit so im resigned to thinking it is the cancer that will eventually be a d*ck.

You are a wonderful human being, and im so proud to know you. Ill be thinking of you today, and over christmas.

Love & peace Saint, always xxx
Thank You (12-24-2015)
Unread 12-23-2015, 08:29 AM   #709
lostdog

much luv to you Saint and my thoughts will be with you everyday.
lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to lostdog For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-24-2015), Thank You (12-24-2015)
Unread 12-23-2015, 10:24 AM   #710
R. Lee

Saint, Happy to hear that your family is getting ready in the event something happens to your dad. It sound like you all are willing to accept what ever happens.

Good luck with the half marathon. You will do just fine.

Have a Merry Christmas.
2 Users Say Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-24-2015), Thank You (12-24-2015)
Unread 12-24-2015, 07:20 AM   #711
Tryntryagain

Good afternoon dear Saint. Bright blessings to you.

You are coping so well with the draining that is your circumstances. I so wish i could hold you.

Fantastic that you can enjoy your half marathon on your journey back to full fitness.

My thoughts with you and your family. Happy Christmas my friend.

Be peaceful, be healthy and be strong. Loveness to you dear Saint
Tryntryagain is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Tryntryagain For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-30-2015)
Unread 12-28-2015, 03:08 PM   #712
Alexis

Thinking of you and your family Saint, i hope your christmas was fun of love and laughter.

Miss you xxx
Thank You (12-30-2015)
Unread 12-28-2015, 03:32 PM   #713
Millie

Saint, my heart is with you. And good for you for doing the half marathon. That can be so therapeutic.
Millie is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Millie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-30-2015)
Unread 12-30-2015, 09:50 PM   #714
gmasusie

Dearest Saint,

My heart truly aches for you and your family, since we just went through all that this year. I hope that when the time comes, your dad will go as quickly as Monty did. Cancer is the worst f..ing thing I have ever dealt with. Please keep us posted.

Love, Susie
Unread 12-31-2015, 10:37 AM   #715
Tryntryagain

I know alot is happening for you, and truly my heart goes out to you.

Through it all i want to wish you and your family all the love and luck in the world. You are in my thoughts as i wish you a very happy new year. May clouds clear, life and love thrive for you. I never forget that between you and handful of others, "mopped me up off the floor" when i first came here.

I give thanks to you...that i can now have a very happy new year with you.

Be peaceful, be healthy and be strong. Loveness to you dear Saint.
Unread 01-01-2016, 06:47 AM   #716
Alexis

How are you Saint? Miss you xx
Unread 01-01-2016, 10:35 AM   #717
jenm

Hey Saint!

Just thinking about you, and praying for you and your family. This month is 7 years since we lost my dad. Oh how I still miss him! I'm so grateful and happy to know that he knew the Lord, and is with the Lord, and I will see him again someday. Take care! Jenm
jenm is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to jenm For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-01-2016)
Unread 01-01-2016, 12:29 PM   #718
R. Lee

Happy new year Saint. I am thinking of you & yours.
Unread 01-01-2016, 10:15 PM   #719
gmasusie

Hope all is as good as it can be with you and your family, Saint.
Unread 01-03-2016, 11:05 AM   #720
Saint

Thank you....

The family had a good Christmas and New Year's. My Dad finished up his radiation treatment for the lesion on his brain. He can now go back on the medication to treat the tumor in his chest. He's tired, not sleeping much despite medication to help him do just that but he is in relatively good spirits. He has more testing at the end of the month to determine where he is at with the cancer.

Thank you for the support. Reading your posts brings tears to my eyes and a lump to my throat.

Peace,
Saint
Thank You (01-03-2016), Thank You (01-03-2016)
Unread 01-03-2016, 12:39 PM   #721
R. Lee

Saint, Glad everything is OK. Stay the course.

Have a great day.
Unread 01-04-2016, 05:31 PM   #722
Frankie

Just having to go through all of this is more than bad enough, but all the decisions that come along are really tuff. I feel for you Saint.
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2016, 11:01 PM   #723
gmasusie

We are all here for you, Saint. As you know, many of us have been through this....more than once.
Unread 01-10-2016, 08:19 PM   #724
Saint

This weekend I buried my brother-in-law. He was out for a run and literally dropped dead in front of his house upon his return. He was 47 years young and left behind his wife(my sister) and 3 children ages 18, 15, and 8. He was a great guy, salt of the earth type of guy. He loved life, loved my sister and was a great Dad. He is the type of guy I should strive to emulate. Intelligent but unassuming. Mischievous but not judgemental. He was full of life and he will be sorely missed

He is Canadian and his family traveled down for the wake and funeral. Wonderful people. He is survived by his mother, sister, brother and numerous cousins.

We can be left to wonder why but the reality of the situation is this:

Every day is a gift.

Peace,
Saint
Unread 01-10-2016, 08:59 PM   #725
Millie

Oh, Saint. I am so very sorry.
Unread 01-10-2016, 09:04 PM   #726
nan

So sorry Saint. You are very correct, we do need to make the most of every day.

nan
nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2016, 09:51 PM   #727
lostdog

I'm so sorry, Saint, I know it is a great loss and you are really having a lot to deal with. My heart goes out to you with a lot of love and support. Remember we are always here for you.
Unread 01-10-2016, 11:18 PM   #728
gmasusie

Dearest Saint, I know all too well how unpredictable our health and our lives can be. I will keep his wife and children and you in my thoughts and prayers. Love, Susie
Unread 01-11-2016, 06:48 AM   #729
NancyB
Administrator

Saint, my sympathies to you and your family. May he rest in peace.
Keeping you in my thoughts.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2016, 09:05 AM   #730
Alexis

Saint im sorry, my thoughts and love are with you and your family xxx
Unread 01-11-2016, 09:56 AM   #731
R. Lee

Saint, So sorry to hear this on top of your father's cancer. We never know do we?

You are a great example of how we should learn to live life on life's terms.

Last edited by R. Lee; 01-11-2016 at 10:01 AM..
Unread 01-11-2016, 11:14 AM   #732
Sam Bailey

Hey Saint!

It's not right, just isn't. Yet, as you noted, it's about as real as life can get. 47 years old, after a run, a freakin' run!---and in front of his own home.

Too much irony. I guess that's it, some of it. Just so damn sad. Not so much for him (though that part I surely don't know for certain) but for his loved ones left behind, heartache like no other.

He sounds like he really was a wonderful man.

So sad for all those who loved him.

best,

sam
Sam Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2016, 01:09 PM   #733
Tryntryagain

Hello dear Saint. Bright blessings to you.

I am so sorry to hear this news. What a terrible time you are having to cope with. I find it almost impossible to know what to say in these circumstances so can only say that i love you very much and i do hope life in its entirety gets better for you and all your loved ones.

Unread 01-12-2016, 11:46 PM   #734
gmasusie

Saint, How are you and yours? We are thinking of you.
Unread 01-13-2016, 08:42 AM   #735
SecretTiger

Very sorry to hear that, Saint.

Take care, my friend.
SecretTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2016, 11:16 AM   #736
jenm

Hi Saint,

I'm so sorry to hear. We just never know. I pray for you, your sister, and all of the family. Please, please know that you are all in my prayers. Love, Jenm
Unread 01-14-2016, 12:08 AM   #737
Saint

The family is doing as well as can be expected. Two of the three children are back in school the other will go back to college next week. My sister's friend is a professor at the college my niece is attending. She came down from Canada for the funeral and will be staying the week. The two will drive back up together. It's nice to k now ny niece will have some support while she is away from family..

My parents are also staying with my sister to help out. My Dad has been having a hard time keeping his cancer meds down so he is on some new anti naseau drugs.

I'm getting by....and am ok. We shall get through this as a family.

I haven't struggled with sobriety through this but I do remain vigilant. Many deal with death by utilizing alcohol. I choose to be present and supportive to my family as best I can. I grieve but I am sober.

Peace,
Saint
Thank You (01-14-2016), Thank You (01-14-2016)
Unread 01-14-2016, 09:05 AM   #738
R. Lee

Saint, It is all right to be just OK. Glad that you are staying vigilant.
Unread 01-15-2016, 11:32 PM   #739
gmasusie

Saint, For all the regrets in my life, I am so grateful that I was sober and present during my husband's final illness. I'm glad you are there, too.
2 Users Say Thank You to gmasusie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-16-2016), Thank You (01-16-2016)
Unread 01-16-2016, 04:23 AM   #740
Saint

Thank you Lee, Susie. I appreciate your support.
Unread 01-16-2016, 05:52 AM   #741
Alexis

Saint, you inspire me so much, you are strong and kind. Im thinking of you and your family, and i am glad you are posting.

Love & Peace always xxx
Unread 01-20-2016, 08:59 AM   #742
Tryntryagain

I just wanted to pass by and offer my love to you. Staying vigilant i really get, i also understand how alcohol was not in the picture during the great mans tough times as i would not ever of forgiven myself should it have been the case. I can remember learning through his journey that i loved others, yet i struggled to look after me.

That kept me sober through just about all of it, and now he has gone, it keeps me, with you, and my other brothers and sisters here, sober to this day.

My heart and strength i wish i could give you. I shall try.

Unread 01-20-2016, 09:45 AM   #743
lostdog

thinking of you Saint, hope this day brings some nice brightness for you.
Unread 01-21-2016, 06:09 PM   #744
Millie

Hi Saint. Hope you're doing okay.
Unread 01-22-2016, 12:04 AM   #745
gmasusie

Trying to imagine what you are going through with family right now. Our thoughts are with you.

Love, Susie
Unread 01-22-2016, 06:33 PM   #746
Alexis

thinking of you xxx
Unread 01-23-2016, 10:59 AM   #747
iamtrying

Hi Saint...hope all is going ok...been a while...if you get a chance write a line..
iamtrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2016, 10:35 AM   #748
jenm

Hi Saint! We miss you....what's up? Love, Jenm
Unread 01-28-2016, 04:06 AM   #749
Saint

Hi everyone....

Sorry I've been mia. I've been helping out my sister as much as possiblet with some house chores and stuff. She lives an hour away with no traffic. Then there's work and I m in the never ending middle my own house improvement projects. My daughter is applying for colleges so lots of time locked up with that also. She has already heard back from three. Two have accepted her for the fall semester and the third wants some more info. I am very happy for her but she hasn't heard back yet from the school that is her top choice. Its good to know she has options. Yayyyy!!

My Dad, thankfully, got some good news today. The radiation treatments on the lesions in his brain were a success!!! The docs said the lesions had shrunk and do not anticipate them getting any bigger or causing problems for him in the future!! He does have the large mass in his chest that is being treated chemically and we should have results from this latest scan sometime next week?
So the great news is tempered with the realization that he still has a fight on his hands...

Jen, Susie, Tryn, iamtrying, Alexis, lost dog, Millie, RLee, Secret tiger, Sam, Nancy, nan....thank you for your support and kind words. I've needed to hear them. I hope I haven't forgotten anyone.

I love you guys!

Saint
Thank You (01-28-2016), Thank You (01-28-2016)
Unread 01-28-2016, 04:07 AM   #750
Saint

Frankie! Thank you! !