Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 02-08-2017, 05:59 PM   #1
down2nothing

Default BUNAVAIL compared to SUBOXONE

I have 2 questions. Does anyone know if you could save money by switching from suboxone to Bunavail (cost)? Also, how true is the equivalency statement regarding the increased bioavailability of Bunavail? I found the information below on a website (https://www.drugs.com/pro/bunavail-buccal-film.html).
Switching between SUBOXONE Sublingual Tablets or Films and Bunavail Buccal Film
The difference in bioavailability of BUNAVAIL compared to SUBOXONE sublingual tablet requires different dosage strength to be administered to the patient. A BUNAVAIL 4.2/0.7 mg buccal film provides equivalent buprenorphine exposure to a SUBOXONE 8/2 mg sublingual tablet.
down2nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2017, 02:29 PM   #2
down2nothing

Default went to doctor

I saw my doctor today for my suboxone refill. I also told him that I get headaches, mild withdrawal and constipation. I asked about bunavail wanting to try it. He said he was not familiar with it but he knew about zubsolv. He looked it up on his phone but kinda brushed it off. I told him about the advantages but it seemed his mind was made up already; he did not want to switch me. I told him that I suspected the naloxone was a problem he disputed that also. I think maybe he was a bit busy; maybe I can try a little harder to switch me. I have been doing research on bunavail and I see several advantages over suboxone.
Here is one of the comments: A big reason why 4.2/.7 mg of Bunavail is equal but better than Suboxone 8mg/2mg. Lower dosage means fewer side effects. In the phase III 40% of those who were switched no longer complained about constipation. That is a big improvement for many. Other side effects would reasonably be reduced, also.
Here is another comment: If you take a Suboxone 8mg, 2mg is absorbed into bloodstream and has therapeutic effect; 6mg goes to GI tract. Buprenorphine is an opioid, all opioids have topical effects on the GI Tract, and constipation is one of those side effects of opioids.
If you take a Bunavail 4mg film, 2mg is absorbed into bloodstream and has therapeutic effect; 2mg goes to GI tract. You’re exposing the GI tract to about 1/3 less opioid. 2mg to GI tract vs 6mg to GI tract.
I also found comments about reduced side effects, particularly headaches, mild withdrawal and constipation. Many people felt much better and noticed a big difference.
Also I am seeing documentation of 33% less naloxone and as noted above 33% less buprenorphine. I would think over a lifetime these reductions are quite beneficial.
Thanks,
Patrick

Unread 02-10-2017, 05:52 AM   #3
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Patrick, did you find out if there's a big savings difference from Suboxone to Bunavail? Did you check to see if there was a savings by switching to Zubsolv? That also has less bupe and less naloxone per dose than Suboxone. Found this conversion chart on their site:

https://www.zubsolv.com/healthcarepr...on-calculator/

I'm just thinking if you could save money with that and your doctor seems to be willing to switch you to it, it might be worth a try. Then if that doesn't work for you, push for the switch to Bunavail?

They also have a savings card:
https://www.zubsolv.com/healthcarepr...tient-savings/

Did you look on Good Rx to compare prices?
https://www.goodrx.com/

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2017, 01:14 PM   #4
down2nothing

Hi Nancy, I am on a form of Wisconsin Medicaid called badger care for childless adults and it is very good insurance, at least for substance abuse. I looked at the pricing on your suggested website and to my surprise suboxone,zubsolv and bunavail are all about the same price. Qty 56 suboxone 8/2 is around $475. I also checked the list of accepted drugs for Wisconsin badger care/Medicaid and all 3 drugs are on their list.
They show a P for the preferred drug=suboxone. Zubsolv and Bunavail show NP meaning non-prferred. I do not know if this affects the cost. I assume not, the co-pay is probably the same whether P or NP. I will have to call badgercare/Medicaid to see if there is $ difference.
I emailed my doctor’s office nurse today and basically begged her to convince the doctor to let me try Bunavail and listed some of the advantages and reasons to switch from suboxone. I told them that I have not filled my suboxone yet hoping they will change it. The emails says it can take up to 48 hours to get an answer .
I guess if they won’t do bunavail, like you said zubsolv also claims to reduce Gi tract exposure only not as much. I said pleaseeeeeee at least let me try it. If it does not work I can always go back suboxone .
Thank-You Nancy ,
Patrick
One User Says Thank You to down2nothing For This Useful Post:
Thank You (02-10-2017)
Unread 02-10-2017, 03:17 PM   #5
NancyB
Administrator

Hi again, let me know if you get the ok from the doctor. Honestly, I don't see what the difference would be unless he just hasn't read anything about it and feels uncomfortable? But it's the same two ingredients, so it shouldn't be that much of an issue. My opinion only, of course.

Good luck!!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 02-21-2017, 07:10 PM   #6
down2nothing

Hi Nancy,
After taking a closer look at Bunavail as an option for opioid addiction maintenance treatment my doctor has written a prescription to be started when my current 1 month supply of suboxone runs out. That will start around March 13. My doctor is fantastic, really a great guy. I guess he just needed time to research it. I talked to the pharmacist today and he told before receiving the prescription for the bunavail they will need the pre- authorization paperwork from my doctor for insurance purposes. So we will see how the switch goes. Anyway, I’m so happy with the chance to try it and have nothing but respect for my doctor.
Patrick
Unread 02-21-2017, 07:49 PM   #7
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Patrick, that's great news! I'm glad he took the time to check it out and is comfortable letting you give it a try.

If you want, please let us know how goes. I'm quite interested to hear about your experience with it - the transition, how you like it, etc.

Thanks for the update!

Nancy
Unread 03-26-2017, 03:58 PM   #8
down2nothing

I have been on suboxone for 8 years now, hard to believe. Just recently my doctor allowed me to switch to Bunavail because I continued to get headaches, constipation and overall dissatisfaction with suboxone. If suboxone were my only choice, it is still far better than nothing and has some advantages. I had come across a few positive articles regarding Bunavail so for the last 12 days I’ve been on Bunavail.
I’ve noticed 2 major improvements; headaches have basically disappeared, constipation problem is improved. Bunavail is just superior, I feel better.
God Bless,
Patrick
One User Says Thank You to down2nothing For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-26-2017)
Unread 03-26-2017, 07:21 PM   #9
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Patrick, that's so great you're having much better results with the Bunavail! Phew!!

Thanks so much for letting us know!

Nancy
Unread 04-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #10
freetobe

thank you for the post but you said something about the cost i assume in the dollar side of things and i pay out of pocket for my medicine so is it less money i'd appreciate some feedback on this

staying strong
freetobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2017, 01:00 PM   #11
NancyB
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetobe View Post
thank you for the post but you said something about the cost i assume in the dollar side of things and i pay out of pocket for my medicine so is it less money i'd appreciate some feedback on this

staying strong
Hi freetobe, have you checked out https://www.goodrx.com/ ?
They give prices on prescriptions at different pharmacies and they have a savings card that might be helpful.

Nancy
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-16-2017)