Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 12-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #1
Amanda777

Default Help!

I'm coming off a drinking bender from Saturday. I'm probably fired and my boyfriend of 6 years wants to leave me. Please help! I feel like my life is over
Amanda777 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Amanda777 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-02-2014)
Unread 12-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #2
michaelc232

Hello Amanda, and welcome to the site. I am so glad that you are here. I drank for 3 years, with several attempts at sobriety, before finally giving up alcohol. Today I am still just one drink away from the pain and the misery that drinking caused. It sounds like you are hitting a bottom in your life, and really feel like turning things around. Sometimes our lives have to fall out from under us for us to realize how bad our addictions have gotten. I'm sorry to hear of all the things that you are going through, but they can serve a purpose if you let them. Take this as a chance to look over your shoulder and see the path that you have been following. Write down all of the things that addiction has stolen from you, then take a hard look in the mirror and realize that YOU are the only one who can make the decision to get help and turn things around. I strongly suggest finding a local AA meeting. AA has helped countless people get, and stay, sober. It may just work for you. Whatever you do, don't miss this opportunity to turn things around. The next time you drink might be your last. Several others will be by to post, and share their experiences with you. Once again, I am glad that you are here. Keep us posted!

Michael
michaelc232 is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Users Say Thank You to michaelc232 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-02-2014), Thank You (12-03-2014), Thank You (12-03-2014), Thank You (12-02-2014), Thank You (12-02-2014)
Unread 12-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
lostdog

Amanda, your life is not over, things will get only better. the first step is to quit drinking. Nothing is better with drinking, you can think better and not regret anything you did. You are here and you can post and get support. You may try a face to face support group. I had to find one and it helps a lot. You are not alone, it can get better. Some things are temporary feelings and I am here if you need anyone to talk to.
lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Say Thank You to lostdog For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-02-2014), Thank You (12-03-2014), Thank You (12-03-2014), Thank You (12-02-2014)
Unread 12-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #4
Tryntryagain

Good evening Amanda. Bright blessings to you.

I am so glad that you found this family, that have so many experiences to help you on your way.

I can hear that you are in a difficult place right now, although when one feels their life is over and has no meaning, is infact a time where loads of doors can be opened. If anyone intorduces alcohol into the mix at such dark times, it will make things worse.

Think of yourself. I know that is not a opular thing to say, but i mean think of your needs to enable you to steady your ship, collect direction and set out on your way on a new voyage.

Life is quite horrible sometimes and nothing seems to go our way, hang on in there, and like the winds in your sails, the winds change.

Be peaceful and restful in youself Amanda. Loveness to you.
Tryntryagain is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Say Thank You to Tryntryagain For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-02-2014), Thank You (12-03-2014), Thank You (12-03-2014), Thank You (12-02-2014)
Unread 12-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #5
jenm

Hi Amanda, welcome!

You are not alone. Please let us know a little more about you, if you don't mind. We come from all walks of life around here, but our common goal is to stay sober and help others to achieve sobriety. If you are an alcoholic, and only you can answer that, nothing will get better with continued drinking. It will get worse. I speak from experience, and many others around here have similar experiences.

You do not have to drink today. Please check in with us and let us know how you are doing. Believe me, we have been there. Take care! Jenm
jenm is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to jenm For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-03-2014), Thank You (12-03-2014)
Unread 12-03-2014, 11:09 AM   #6
R. Lee

Amanda777, Welcome to this site. I am a recovering alcoholic. We all have been in situations like you. We cause so much damage while we drank.

I drank for 42 years. I was fired from my job, divorced & roared so many lives.

I could not get sober on my own. I had to use a support group of recovering alcoholics to get sober. Now I have a sponsor, phone numbers of recovering alcoholics who I call before I pick up that 1st drink.

It has been suggested that I think through that 1st drink, stay in today meaning I just have to stay sober today, tomorrow may not come.

I will always be an alcoholic. It is my choice whether to drink or not. If I choose not to I have to stop drinking for myself not anyone else.

Come back & share more about yourself.

Good luck if you have had enough. You do not have to live like this.
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-03-2014)
Unread 12-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #7
Saint

Amanda,

Welcome! You are among friends here who understand all of what you are going through and feeling because yes, we have all been where you find yourself standing today. There are a lot of links on this page to your right. Learn about addiction, learn about yourself. Alcohol is poison to the alcoholic. Continue to think of sobriety and picture yourself in your mind spending your day sober. We move towards and become that which we think about.

Amanda you are not alone here nor do you have to find sobriety on your own. Most need some sort of support to find sobriety.

Keep your chin up.

Regards,
Saint
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to Saint For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-04-2014), Thank You (12-03-2014)
Unread 12-04-2014, 09:46 AM   #8
gmasusie

Amanda,

The stress, discomfort, hopelessness that you feel puts you in the perfect position to change your mindset. Instead of drinking yourself into loneliness and/or death, you can now say, "I see how alcohol can ruin my life. I will NOT let it happen."

Make a list of how alcohol has hurt you, so you can remind yourself that it is not the answer.

Realize that all of us are just making suggestions of things we did to help us quit. Many of us had to find a support group face-to-face to help us stay sober. AA is the most available, but there are many others out there. You take what helps and don't worry about the rest.

Some you will find help and some won't, but the support you will find here is the best around. Please let us hear how you are doing.

Susie
gmasusie is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Say Thank You to gmasusie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-04-2014), Thank You (12-04-2014), Thank You (12-04-2014)