Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 02-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
hairgirl

Default Stand up for your choice of recovery

Hello All,
I felt it important to update what has been going on with my personal journey. I have been off Subs for going on ninety days. After some soul searching, I felt it was best for ME to re-enter the rooms and carry my message to others. Five years ago, I was in an I.O.P. that had me go to meetings and the response from some other addicts was not positive. Based on where I was in the process, my feelings were hurt and I was angry for being forced in to a situation where I had to take negative criticism for my choices. As soon as it was no longer a requirement to attend meetings, I bolted and continued to work on my recovery through this website and other support services.
Now that I have been out of medication assisted recovery, I felt a need to strengthen my foundations and went back to 12 step meetings locally. What I have discovered is that my growth in recovery has allowed me to accept any negative comments with grace and move on. The attitudes have improved dramatically over time, but there will always be people who have something negative to say about using medications assisted addiction treatment.
Looking back, I don't know if I would have done things differently because as you grow in your journey, you learn and change. When you are new to getting clean, you are quite vulnerable and easily hurt. Well, I was. The most important thing was that I was willing to do whatever I had to do to get healthy, even stick to my home and work on it. If you don't have that option, I encourage you to do whatever it takes. The positive to come from this situation is that the attitudes about medication in the rooms has improved since I began my journey years ago. I am approached often from people who thank me for my honesty and willingness to tell my story.
If you are struggling with stigma, make it known. Awareness is our best defense!
Thank You (02-13-2013), Thank You (03-28-2016), Thank You (01-25-2016), Thank You (02-13-2013), Thank You (02-01-2015)
Unread 02-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
Clarkgrizwald

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairgirl View Post
Hello All,
I felt it important to update what has been going on with my personal journey. I have been off Subs for going on ninety days. After some soul searching, I felt it was best for ME to re-enter the rooms and carry my message to others. Five years ago, I was in an I.O.P. that had me go to meetings and the response from some other addicts was not positive. Based on where I was in the process, my feelings were hurt and I was angry for being forced in to a situation where I had to take negative criticism for my choices. As soon as it was no longer a requirement to attend meetings, I bolted and continued to work on my recovery through this website and other support services.
Now that I have been out of medication assisted recovery, I felt a need to strengthen my foundations and went back to 12 step meetings locally. What I have discovered is that my growth in recovery has allowed me to accept any negative comments with grace and move on. The attitudes have improved dramatically over time, but there will always be people who have something negative to say about using medications assisted addiction treatment.
Looking back, I don't know if I would have done things differently because as you grow in your journey, you learn and change. When you are new to getting clean, you are quite vulnerable and easily hurt. Well, I was. The most important thing was that I was willing to do whatever I had to do to get healthy, even stick to my home and work on it. If you don't have that option, I encourage you to do whatever it takes. The positive to come from this situation is that the attitudes about medication in the rooms has improved since I began my journey years ago. I am approached often from people who thank me for my honesty and willingness to tell my story.
If you are struggling with stigma, make it known. Awareness is our best defense!
Well said hairgirl! I appreciate your honesty and I wholeheartedly agree...you must do whatever it takes! I know when I was using, I would do whatever it took to acquire my opiates.
Thank you!
Unread 01-30-2015, 04:05 AM   #3
MarvinC

haha nice!
MarvinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2016, 01:40 PM   #4
Carlos

Yes we stay silent someone else will define who we are. That's why have had difficulty with twelve step programs. Most twelve step people believe the program is perfect because supposedly Bill and Bob were inspired by God. As is believe about the authors of the bible. Yet I don't see such perfection. The relaps rate is to high amongst all across abstinent base programs be it twelve step, Rational Recovery. SMART, SOS, WOMEN FOR SOBRIETY ETC. seems like the relapse rate is too high for my liking.

If one failed, they all have some justificstion of why and is usually some characteristic in you. It is never uthe program. This is most prevalent in the most dominant residential 12 Step programs. In Florida (according to a SAMHSA survey) 92.1% . When someone relapse the patients are discharged from the program. I find that to be the most supide policy I have seen. Getting discharge for the same reason you came to treatment. That's like telling Schizophrenic Patients to get out of the hospital and treatment if you conditio got worst and you have a hallucination or cancer if the patient's dosen't go in remission and their condition gets worst. And if you come back to treatment from a release they give you the same 12Steps, RR, or whatever the patients already received. That's like giving the same antibiotic medication for an infection.

It is clear to me that most treatment staff in mental health and substances use treatment are science illiterates. They keep talking about evidence based treatment but most of what they do is pseudoscientific. I think we all need to take a good look at this. I took enough science at the university to notice that most treatment staff in all fields of mental health don't even understand the most rudimentary concepts in science and too frequently they miss understand and make audacious and exaggerate claims where there is no evidence.

Last edited by Carlos; 01-16-2016 at 01:46 PM..
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to Carlos For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-24-2016), Thank You (01-27-2016)
Unread 03-23-2016, 09:18 AM   #5
MattC42286

Hey carlos! Great thought there! Very interestingf! Hope all is wel with you. Praying for you! Thanks for everyhings!!! -Matt
MattC42286 is offline   Reply With Quote