Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 05-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
recoveryinohio

Default Doctor Letting go of all patients because of insurance

I have been on the suboxone program and doing great for almost 5 years now. Recently my doctor told me and all his patients that are on Care Source that he will no longer be seeing us due to all the hassle he has to go through with them.

Care Source is a government HMO and I have been on it for years now. I live in Lorain, Ohio and I am scared out of my mind! I called to find out if I could switch insurance plans and I was told I had one other option which would be Well Care. After speaking to my Pharmacist I was informed that most of his suboxone customers who have Care Source their doctors have already stopped seeing them and that this Well Care insurance will not even pay for the suboxone!!

The reason my doctor gave me is that my insurance is requiring him to submit a prior authorization every 3 months for the prescriptions and it is costing him to much money. He said his nurses spend hours on the phone with them, faxing paper work and it is to costly for him to continue this way.

I am really scared and just hoping maybe someone out there has run into this same problem and can give me some insight or information. Thank you in advance for any help or comments.
recoveryinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
gotoffmdone

This sort of stuff just plain ol pisses me off. If you want the number one downside to using a maintanance drug for addiction, this is it. You, through no fault of your own and with little warning, can be left to fend for yourself. Regardless of opiate, having to concern yourself with where your next dose will come from or how you will afford it is a very unpleasant position to be in. I hope one day such stories will come to an end but I certainly will not hold my breath. There is more to this than a nurse getting pre-authorizations. I'm sure the Dr has had to do that with lots of other medications on numerous occassions.

I assume the Dr is still taking private insurance or cash paying customers. Or is he getting out of the Sub business altogether.

wayne
gotoffmdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
vhappy

recoveryinohio,
Sorry about your situation, I lost my doctor myself a few years ago and it caused great anxiety, and it's just plain not fair!

Many doctor's don't except insurance even if you have it. Most likley for those same reason's. I have blue cross and it cover's everything, but my first doctor would not accept it. Could you pay the bill up front and then YOU do the paperwork and get reimbursed for the appointment? Then when you get your reimbursent you can use it to pay cash for the appointment>

Just a thought,

vhappy
vhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
Jody671

I also have blue cross and it covers everything if you can find a doctor who takes it. I paid cash the first few years because it was still cheaper than my drug habit. That is my #1 fear is not being able to get my suboxone. It has changed my life for the better. I do not want to think about all the hassle of not having it
Jody671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
gotoffmdone

"...............my #1 fear is not being able to get my Suboxone".

That's the #1 downside of using a drug to get off of a drug.

That is where addiction to opiates is unique when people compare it to other diseases. Most often it is diabetes. You don't control diabetes by eating lowfat ice cream as opposed to the regular stuff.

The Hypocratic Oath is first, do no harm. I cannot imagine the harm that may come from cutting people off Sub because they HAVE insurance. Just not the right kind.

wayne
gotoffmdone is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to gotoffmdone For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-23-2012), Thank You (05-23-2012)
Unread 05-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
OhioMike

Amen Wayne!