Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 03-26-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
jshdvs

Default drinking on suboxone

I used to like to drink a few beers here and there but ever since ive been on sub beer taste different now and it makes me feel wierd. No matter how much i drink i dont feel the effects of the alcohol. I think it has something to do with the naloxone. I have heard they give that to people who have problems with drinkin. Just wonderd if anybody else noticed it.
jshdvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
Mike

Hi Jshdvs,
Its not the naloxone, that only gets into your system if you shoot it. The bupe itself lessens the desire and effect of alcohol too. I think it blocks it like it would block opioids. Before bupe I would drink occasionally, but once I started bupe I just didn't get anything out of it so I stopped and didn't crave it at all either...nice side effect, for me anyways.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2010, 01:44 AM   #3
HumboldtGrown

I experienced the same. Went from drinking every day pretty much before opiates too. Now I drink once and a while and usually feel nauseous before I even get buzzed.
HumboldtGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi jshdvs, you might be confusing naloxone with naltrexone. Naltrexone is an antagonist that is used for both opioid addiction and alcohol dependence.

http://www.naabt.org/glossary.cfm#N
Naltrexone:
A narcotic antagonist, works by blocking opioid receptors in the brain, without activating them, therefore, blocking the effects of opioids (e.g., heroin, morphine). Naltrexone has a High affinity to the Mu receptor, yet not as high as buprenorphine.

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/treatm...-treatment.cfm
About Oral Naltrexone (ReVia®, Depade®)
Naltrexone is an opioid antagonist, which means that it occupies the opioid receptors in the brain without activating them; and blocks opioids from attaching to the receptors. In the treatment of alcohol dependence, it is not completely understood how the mechanism works, but preclinical data suggests that the opioid receptors are involved with alcohol dependence. Thus, the blocking action of naltrexone to the opioid receptor is thought to reduce the pleasurable effect of alcohol, and, in turn, reduce alcohol consumed in one sitting and reduce heavy alcohol consumption days.3,4

Naltrexone does not stop patients from consuming alcohol, nor does it precipitate any physical symptoms when alcohol is consumed while the patient takes naltrexone.

ReVia and Depade are the oral formulations. The average dose is 50mg once taken daily.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
suboxfreedom

I previously liked alcohol while on methadone. I drank once or twice a week for years and years. Now that I'm no subs... alcohol is no longer pleasurable. I personally believe the partial antagonist effect of bupe prevents alcohol from being enjoyable.
suboxfreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 07:15 PM   #6
Jeisikah

Alcohol makes me less drunk, now. Makes me realize how silly it is, sometimes.
Jeisikah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
jayded

I can't go more than 3 beers without getting a headache. It is a positive side effect. I used to drink every night and now maybe once every few months. Why does it do this? I don't know, but sometimes I worry if I'm going to go back to drinking when I get off sub. I hope not.
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to jayded For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-04-2011)
Unread 04-30-2010, 04:30 AM   #8
sassycass

i competely agree.....I use to drink ALOT!!!!! now I dont drink as much. and I thank that!! no hangovers everyday now
sassycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2010, 08:01 AM   #9
Heath

I used to drink at least 6 beers every day. Sometimes liquor too or instead, and/or wine. Pretty much an alcoholic. This went on for about 15 years. Once i started sub, i stopped altogether. Then went back to drinking one mixed drink on saturday, usually every other week or so. Now i don't drink anything at all. I realized after a while that i actually enjoy me just the way me is. Sober is nice. I just got to the point where it occurred to me, i'm almost 39 years old, that alcohol does nothing positive for me. 1) it costs money 2) it can get you in trouble driving and 3) if i'm not drinking enough to get drunk, because i don't like that feeling anymore, then what's the point of having just one? Lastly, and most importantly, i don't drink anymore because i realize that my body is a temple of christ, and that since i belong to him, and he doesn't like alcohol, then i won't be putting any in my body any longer. Also, i try every day to win people over to the power of jesus christ and to show them the way to eternal salvation. So in other words, i'm a witness for him. What kind of witness for christ drinks alcohol? None. If they for real. To be like christ is the best way to be. Guess what? Jesus christ never took suboxone either, that's why i'm tapering off this drug, because its a drug and i can, through christ, stop taking this stuff. Feb 1st, 2011 will be my jump day so far as i can see.

All that aside... Think about the agony we all went through to get on sub and where we all are now. Didn't you nearly ruin your life with drugs and alcohol? Yes. So now that you're on sub, is a buzz really what you want? I don't think so. If the answer is yes, then there's still something missing in your life. Think about it this way... You've tried beer, wine, liquor, uppers, downers, acid, cocaine, heroin, opiate pills, acid, sex, and god only knows what else, and that didn't make you happy. So what's the harm in trying jesus christ? If you do, you have my word that he can fill any and every void in your life. All you have to do is ask him to forgive your sins, repent from sin, believe in him, admit that you've come to the end of yourself and your ways, and ask him into your life and into your heart to be your guiding light, and he will come, and grant you peace in your self and in your life and give you everlasting life into eternity. That's what i did, and guess what? I'm happy! I'm so happy that drinking alcohol or doing drugs would only detract from the high i experience 24/7/365.
Heath
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Say Thank You to Heath For This Useful Post:
Thank You (02-07-2011), Thank You (05-03-2010), Thank You (01-09-2012), Thank You (08-28-2011)
Unread 04-30-2010, 08:59 AM   #10
OhioMike

Heath, I share a lot with you, in regard to faith. However, I don't recall Jesus as being against alcohol consumption, if fact, he aided in it. Yes, I realize that is a broad comments, but, think about it.

Hmmm, to drink is one thing, to be drunken is maybe yet another?!

Further, though Christ did not take Suboxone, he also did not take blood pressure medication, nor did he under go heart surgery!

My point being, IMO, to take our modern science and to compare it to the days of Christ is a stretch!

I have always looked at it this way. Who has given "man" "humans" the ability over all other creatures on this planet the ability to evolve continually, the ability to learn and grow mentally continually?

God has!

Now why?

simply, so we can take charge of our own lives and so we can create a better life for all. We have been given the gift of science and knowledge so we can evolve, grow and find new way to make life better. So we can choose to ignore these gifts from God, which is fine and live life without them or we can choose to embrace them and to use them in a positive and proactive way, as Christ did, with wine!

Just my thoughts.

oh and I don't drink either, but I don't because my recovery is too fragile and I understand the relation between alcohol and opiates and I feel it would be a risk for me.

However, one enjoying a casual cocktail, beer or wine is not going to throw them off track, if in fact their recovery can handle it. But, I would warn them to take heed and make damn sure that their recovery can handle it.

Mike
Unread 04-30-2010, 09:01 AM   #11
OhioMike

lol ........... just for interesting debate!

John 2

Jesus Changes Water to Wine

1On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus' mother was there, 2and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. 3When the wine was gone, Jesus' mother said to him, "They have no more wine." 4"Dear woman, why do you involve me?" Jesus replied, "My time has not yet come."
5His mother said to the servants, "Do whatever he tells you."
6Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons.[a]
7Jesus said to the servants, "Fill the jars with water"; so they filled them to the brim.
8Then he told them, "Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet."
They did so, 9and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside 10and said, "Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now."
11This, the first of his miraculous signs, Jesus performed in Cana of Galilee. He thus revealed his glory, and his disciples put their faith in him.
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:09 AM   #12
Heath

Thanks for the clarification mike. I got off track. What was really on my mind, but didn't make it out through my fingertips was this: I don't drink anymore because i am a witness for christ. In other words, i try to bring everyone i can to the light of christ. And in being such a witness, i don't feel i would be setting a good example by drinking. Here is what could happen: Lets say i'm trying to convince you, a pal of mine i see around the neighborhood, to come to christ and be saved. While doing so, you see me at your restaurant eating dinner and drinking a beer with it. But next weekend i see you at the race track and you've gotten drunk after drinking too much and so then on sunday at church i whisper into your ear to tell you about how you should really keep an eye on your alcohol consumption, that christ doesn't appreciate it when you defile your body. So after church i come to your restaurant again with my family to eat lunch and when you walk over to our table you see i've ordered another beer. So later you say to me in private, "heath, i don't understand, you tell me christ doesn't like us to defile our bodies by drinking, yet you come in here and drink beer after church?" my reply is then, "mike, it's alright to have a drink now and then, you know, one or two; but christ doesn't approve of the way you drink like you do at the racetrack." the old 'double standard' strikes again.

the point is that no, christ doesn't mind us having a drink, just not getting drunk. But when you're trying to set an example for someone like i am, the best thing is not to drink at all, this way there is no confusion between getting drunk and having a drink.

Also, in john 2, my preacher said that the wine jesus made out of water was not fermented wine, therefore it had no alcohol in it.
Just fyi
heath

Last edited by Heath; 05-03-2010 at 08:12 AM.. Reason: grammar
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #13
Heath

lets say you are raising your kids not to smoke. well you and i both know that if you smoke one cigarette a month its probably not going to have a direct correlation to your demise. so once a month you smoke a cigarette after you've sent in your mortgage payment. do you let your kids see you do it? not if you don't want them to start smoking. even if you explain to them that the way you smoke is ok because its not often enough to create a problem, it still looks like you're being a hypocrite in their eyes. so if you don't want your kids to smoke, don't let them see you smoke at all, anywhere, never, whatsoever.
agree?
heath
Unread 05-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #14
OhioMike

Hey, hey now, I go to the racetrack each week and don't drink at all. LOL

Heath, I understand, I was just offering my take on it as well.

Per my faith, I take the old saying, it is all right to drink, but, to not be drunken, to heart. I do so because I see our bodies as an extension of God, a gift afforded to be able to pass through this part of our journey in a way which we can not only enjoy, but, learn what we need from, so we can ready ourselves for the next part of our journey. So for "me" I need to try and not do things which will forsake that gift and tear my body down.

By the way, I fail miserable at this, but, at least these days, I do make much better effort than I once did. But, I still smoke, I still need to drop some pounds.

I take mans interpretation of history as recorded in the bible exactly as it is written. Wine being exactly that, wine, which was normal for the period and grape juice being exactly that, grape juice.

And I understand the analogy well about kids and smoking. Frankly that is me! And thankfully, non of my kids smoke, in fact, they hate it. ............& thus far, thankfully none of them have had to battle this disease.

I'm a classic do as I say, not as I do person. lol

Take my mistakes and learn from them what I did not, so you do not have to repeat my mistakes, as you will have enough of your own to make. Hypocritical? Yes, of course. But, totally wrong or non effective? No, not at all, as I believe part of what we teach our young is not only the good we have accomplished or learned, but, also the bad, so they don't have to live it, we did that for them. Hence hopefully each passing generation can becomes stronger, smarter and happier.

Ah well, it makes for good conversation and I think the ultimate goal is what is important, instead of some of the smaller particulars, as we each will travel a little different path.

Mike
Unread 05-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #15
OhioMike

I would like to apologize to you jshdvs, I kind of let myself take this off topic.

Per drinking while taking Suboxone, I really think as with most of the things we deal with, it comes down to very individual choices.

For myself, I know that the correlation between alcohol and opiates in how they effect us biologically is very close and I simply don't feel that I can risk that for myself. Though my true single substance addiction is opiates, I sure can drink if I want to and I just think it would force my brain into too much recall which could drive me back into active opiate addiction.

When my oldest child was born in 83 I walked out of a bar that night and never went back. Honestly that choice most likely saved my life all these years later when I faced active opiate addiction. I think if I had added alcohol to that, it would have killed me.

However, for many enjoying the casual drink works well. Not getting drunk mind you, I think that is simply a huge risk for all of us. But, I know many who will enjoy the casual cocktail and/or wine, beer even though they take Sub and are in recovery.

Then I have spoken to many who have felt what you shared, either they didn't enjoy it any longer or they simply had no want for it. I think this comes from maybe our overall recovery as much as it does from Sub. I think we have simply gotten past the substance deal, to where we want more from life or our relaxation time. If that makes any sense! lol

Mike
Thank You (09-23-2011)
Unread 05-04-2010, 08:17 AM   #16
Heath

Mike, i, by no means, am perfect either. I go through my day nowadays though trying to imitate perfection. No cussing or brash nasty behavior towards anyone. Another thing i've learned to do is to ignore negativity from people. Not to acknowledge it. This tends to extinguish it much faster than the smartass remarks i used to make. A friend of mine who is a believer told me about the drinking thing. About how since i am saved and am trying to lead my wife to the lord to be saved, i shouldn't drink at all. She has a problem with alcohol, although in the last few weeks since i ceased to have my saturday night martini, she too has almost completely quit drinking. Last weekend she had a beer on saturday afternoon. Much better than her drinking a whole bottle of wine each day like she used to do. What i learned from my friend that day she spoke with me was that i am the head of the family and of our household, even though its just me, her, and the cat. I told her that i only drank one drink a week or usually every other week and complained how my wife's drinking gets on my nerves. She told me that if i was going to be a witness for christ to my wife, i should try and set a good example. She said that whether or not i drank a drink a week or a drink a day, in my wife's eyes i still drink. She was right, so now i don't drink at all.
Heath
Unread 05-05-2010, 02:37 AM   #17
soldier173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Hi Jshdvs,
Its not the naloxone, that only gets into your system if you shoot it. The bupe itself lessens the desire and effect of alcohol too. I think it blocks it like it would block opioids. Before bupe I would drink occasionally, but once I started bupe I just didn't get anything out of it so I stopped and didn't crave it at all either...nice side effect, for me anyways.
I used to drink also but when I drink on subs I vomit it back up within a half hour so this is helping me not drink also good side affect.
soldier173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 06:23 PM   #18
mr jimi

Alcohol is another drug. I assume we are all addicts. Why would you take a chance on getting addicted to the drinking? I am new to this site, this is my first post. I hope that I am not out of line. It's just that I am a addict and I have been fighting alcohol and drug abuse for 40 years of my 60 year life. I went from alcohol to drugs and back God knows how many times. I was clean for twenty years before going out again two years ago. Thank God for SUB, I was hurting bad from Methadone, and all the Percodan and Percocet I was using. I thank you all for your posts, you have been a great help to me.
Jim
mr jimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #19
willard47

geezer thread, hi mr jimi, welcome, now i know there are at least 3 of us on this forum that are in their sixties! I too have been fighting for over 40 years and it gets pretty tiring. I still imbide a bit and know i shouldn't. It's another addiction. My excuse is it calms me down since i'm off the opiates. Sure it does. Anyway keep in touch, the post you responded to is from May 2010, thats ok, it's a pertinent topic for us. willard
willard47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #20
tlg

Jim~
Alcohol use is a personal choice. I understand where you are coming from. Especially if someone has had an addiction to both alcohol and opiates. Addiction is a terrible disease. There are people who will basically get addicted to any and everything out there, and then there are those who just so happened to find out about addiction the hard way. Many people had chronic pain issues, and did as their Dr's told them, took the medications that would take the pain away, and in the long run it took their normal everyday life away from them too.

Should people drink while on Sub? From a medical stand point...no. I don't have a desire to drink while on it, but I have had the ocassional social drink here and there. Is it playing with fire? Possibly? I have a very addictive personality and come from 2 alcoholic parents. I suppose the best way to compare it is...there are many people out there whom take opiates as prescribed and as needed who are not in an active addiction situation. I don't like how alcohol makes me feel when I've had too much, but who's to say I may not use it one day to mask the other feelings I may not want to deal with?

So, I guess it varies from person to person, just like everything else does. We can all only hope, that if one is on Sub, and trying to better themselves and keep their addiction in to remission, they would be able to realize if/when alcohol is becoming a problem. Many things have changed over the years tho. When I was in rehab 2 years ago, I was told if I picked up a bottle once I got out, I would surley end up back where I was before. I have yet to see that happen. You can't scare people into addiction remission.

So I guess it's a never ending question, with a never ending answer and all comes down to each individual and the way they chose to deal with their addiction.
Unread 12-18-2010, 11:01 PM   #21
bizzby45

i just saw this thread and i wanted to say that i never really liked drinking much but i def have less of a taste for it now then ever. I used to have those days where i just would come home and want to have a drink to destress. Now i never have those days. When my boyfriend and i go out i have to force myself to drink eveen two drinks. Now my tolerance is very low and i didnt notice a difference in tolerance, i almost feel like i get buzzed easier then before. On my subs bottle it says that this medication can enhance the effects of alcohol, but everyone is different. i dont want to totally blame subs for my lack of interest in alcohol (its a good thing) because i really think that i have had a major lifestyle change and that may be the thing that is making me not want to drink.
bizzby45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 05:05 AM   #22
erikanh80

This was a problem for me. I have been an alcoholic for 12 years. Way before my opiate addiction came into my life.
I drank every single day, but not to get drunk....that was nearly impossible....but my nightly drinking of 6+ beers over the last 6 or so years is still defined as alcoholism.

When I got on sub I had NO idea I had to give up drinking. It is made very clear by sub doctors to NOT drink while on sub. I did not know this until after I took my first sub dose, or I don't think I would have done it. I am glad I did. I was basically forced to make the choice....keep drinking and stay addicted to percs and ruin my life......or quit drinking and start recovery and get my life back.
It was hard for me to give up drinking & I came on here to talk about it. Best thing I did. I got a lot of support. I personally still do not link alcohol with my drug of choice at all. Some people are very able to still drink socially and not have cravings for drugs....that would be if I could but I can't because Im on sub.

So for the last 3 months, Ive been drinking O'Douls and it works for me. I mean I don't get drunk but that was not my goal....it was that quitting 2 demons at the same time was scary for me, and I just wanted to have that habit of drinking something at night like I did......as muh as possible to be able to FEEL normal. The pressure of giving everything up is a lot to handle. So about 3 nights a week I drink O'Douls.....use to be every night, but you def do lose the crave for even that while on sub.

Anyway, to each their own, but most people say recovery should mean being completely sober....I disagree because like I said,....some people are able to drink and stay away from drugs. I was able to for years anyway. Some people don't realize how hard it is to change your entire life over night. Giving up 2 things is much harder and emotionally stressful and causes for more chance of relapse for both, when having to change so much in your life. Staying off of opiates is in itself a great feat. I have been able to do that and also to be able to feel more "comfortable" in my own skin by having a few o'douls, which does not jeaopardize my health in any way at all. So thats what I do and it works for me.

you have to be very careful drinking on sub...it CAN be fatal if drinking too much. Says right on any info to not drink at all, and thats what I do because I don't like to take any chances! So O'Douls is what I recommend to anyone with any similar lifestyle as mine was. But yes.....sub definately does reduce the craving to drink. 1 social drink is said to be "okay" however thats only IF you can keep it to that amount. Good Luck
erikanh80 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to erikanh80 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (02-24-2011)
Unread 02-06-2011, 11:14 PM   #23
bebe522

I drank alot of beer prior to opiate addiction and craved it even more with opiates. luved the combo....i tried methadone for a year but i still wanted to drink with it. I am so exited that suboxone takes away my desire to do any alcohol or opiates. I do get some anxiety, so thats why i take elavil for an antidep. Melatonin too. It's hard to go for my long walks like i was doing all fall, due to the snow being up to my waste. LOL
bebe522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 04:18 AM   #24
terryt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMike View Post
I would like to apologize to you jshdvs, I kind of let myself take this off topic.

Per drinking while taking Suboxone, I really think as with most of the things we deal with, it comes down to very individual choices.

For myself, I know that the correlation between alcohol and opiates in how they effect us biologically is very close and I simply don't feel that I can risk that for myself. Though my true single substance addiction is opiates, I sure can drink if I want to and I just think it would force my brain into too much recall which could drive me back into active opiate addiction.

When my oldest child was born in 83 I walked out of a bar that night and never went back. Honestly that choice most likely saved my life all these years later when I faced active opiate addiction. I think if I had added alcohol to that, it would have killed me.

However, for many enjoying the casual drink works well. Not getting drunk mind you, I think that is simply a huge risk for all of us. But, I know many who will enjoy the casual cocktail and/or wine, beer even though they take Sub and are in recovery.

Then I have spoken to many who have felt what you shared, either they didn't enjoy it any longer or they simply had no want for it. I think this comes from maybe our overall recovery as much as it does from Sub. I think we have simply gotten past the substance deal, to where we want more from life or our relaxation time. If that makes any sense! lol

Mike
sure it makes much sense
terryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 04:19 AM   #25
terryt

i recenly started back on suboxone and have had no real desire TO drink
terryt is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to terryt For This Useful Post:
Thank You (02-23-2011)
Unread 08-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #26
kenmoore

i drank a little befor sub but now it makes me sick as a dog so i gave it up all together
kenmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 01:24 AM   #27
waterlily1

I also stopped drinking since I've been on subs, because my recovery is the most important thing to me. Alcohol is drugs in liquid form. I've been hangin out with sober people for a couple years and some things are gettin thru my thick head: I never knew what living life on lifes terms meant until recently. Apparently there are these people called normies, and this is what they do. When they have a "bad" feeling, or something bad has happened to them, they don't automatically take a pill or get drunk.
They put on their big girl/boy pants and they deal with it. I know.Go figure.
waterlily1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 03:02 AM   #28
deedle

Default who knew

my father..barely knew, loved dearly...left me with a few unintentional powerful life lessons. by watching him go through alcohol withdrawals...he taught me to never let alcohol grab me the way it did him. I wish back then they had so many treatment options. he would have suffered less,I would know him better, and it wouldn't be sad to think of him.

alcohol was never my gig...I know it can tear up your liver..especially when combined with lots of other meds including antidepressants. so be nice to your liver. it works hard for you. (for free

the post about making sober decisions made me jump in here....man what a new world. I'm realizing I really had lost myself ..and for real...I'm so glad to be back and clear headed! welcome back to you guys too.

and a special welcome back to my good friend ..who really had to die briefly to decide to live.

have peaceful nights guys. everyone here deserves the best.
deedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 12:07 AM   #29
deedle

well said.
life is always going to throw curve balls.
weather its christ or any various higher powers one may
have faith in. accept your circumstances ...ask for forgiveness
or better yet forgive yourself, and make the best with
all the lemons ..and move on. you may not choose
the circumstances but we absolutely control our
reactions. choose them wisely.

I write this to all of you and to. myself ..its easier said
than done ..but it can be done. own it!
good thoughts to everyone here we all deserve some contentment
and peace.

Last edited by deedle; 08-29-2011 at 12:11 AM..
deedle is offline   Reply With Quote