Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 01-25-2009, 03:29 AM   #1
Alleyezonme247

Question alcholism anxiety

I have a question after i drink too much i get extreme anxiety the next day and panic attacks.... why does it happen to me only and not my freinds? does it mean that ive reached my limit of drinking i know i shouldnt be drinking allot but my question is will that always happen if i drink to much? or is there a reason for it i already have anxiety is that why. so if i didnt have anxiety it wouldnt happend to me? or is it just the drinking? i still wanna be able to drink allot at a speacial ocation?
Alleyezonme247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
dave53190

Hope all is well with you Alleyezonme247,

Maybe you like to drink a lot because you feel uncomfortable with the anxiety you say you have. The more you drink the less anxious you feel ....... until the next day! All I can tell you is that when I stopped using alcohol to make me feel "comfortable", I started feeling more "comfortable" in my own skin. Make sense? Kind of a "which came first: the chicken or the egg?" thing.

To me, you sound like a person who wants to continue to hit themselves over the head with a hammer, but do not want the resultant pain.
dave53190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
CarlyO

Hi Alley and welcome to the forum. Below is a set of questions to ask yourself - it is a general questionaire but may provide some insight into your drinking habits.

I would suggest reading the information and links. Also, if you are concerned about your alcohol use and the anxiety - seek professional help to rule out any underlying causes of the anxiety you described.

If you have more questions or need to vent, talk ... we are here, take care, Carly

This is copied from the educational information provided on the site. It is a quick "self test " about where you may be with your alcohol use.

Answering the following four questions can help you find out if you or a loved one has a drinking problem:

> Have you ever felt you should cut down on your drinking?

> Have people annoyed you by criticizing your drinking?

> Have you ever felt bad or guilty about your drinking?

> Have you ever had a drink first thing in the morning to steady your nerves or to get rid of a hangover?

One "yes" answer suggests a possible alcohol problem.

More than one "yes" answer means it is highly likely that a problem exists.

If you think that you or someone you know might have an alcohol problem, it is important to see a doctor or other health care provider right away. They can help you determine if a drinking problem exists and plan the best course of action.

Source: National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism

Find medical help for alcohol dependence now

this is the complete page/link ....

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/alcoho...-need-help.cfm
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
jerryg

Alley,
If this is your experience when drinking that should tell you there is a problem. It may not be the alcohol use, I don't know. But you may have some need to look into the panic attacks. That is pretty serious. Still you are best off not drinking. The use of alcohol may mask the symptoms and/or exacerbate the problem. How much do you drink and how often? It could be you are experiencing symptoms of alcohol withdrawal.
I strongly suggest you see a doctor about your concerns.

Look here
http://www.alcoholanswers.org/alcoho...withdrawal.cfm

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/resour...ossary.cfm#163

I hope this sheds some light,
Jerry
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
jerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 04:31 PM   #5
Stinabear

I have anxiety and this effects my need to drink.
Stinabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 10:28 PM   #6
jerryg

Stinabear,

Welcome.

How? How strong is your need to drink?
Are you having some problems in your life around your drinking?
Please feel free to join in.

Jerry
jerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 10:29 PM   #7
CarlyO

Hello Stinabear, welcome to the forum.

You mentioned anxiety issues - did you read the links that Jerry posted above? I hope you read the info on the site and the posts. Let us know if you have any questions. Take care , C.

Last edited by CarlyO; 01-26-2009 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: spelling
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 01:26 AM   #8
justdave

Sometimes people with a chemical imbalance in there brain (depression, or anxiety) self medicate with drugs or alcohol. It works for a while, but it can make the make the problem much worse over time. I was clean and sober for a year and ended up going on anti depressants. It really changed my attitude and improved my life. You might want to talk to a doctor or counselor.
justdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 02:26 AM   #9
Mystikchick

The exact same thing happens to my husband if he drinks alot of bourbon, and now his doctor has made him cut way back on his alcohol consumption (he only gets a beer or two now) because his last blood work showed an elevated liver enzyme. I personally think it has a direct correlation to some sort of withdrawl, but that is just my opinion.
Mystikchick is offline   Reply With Quote