Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 07-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
Phoenix Love

Default HELP! Swollen Mouth, Mouth Sores and Extreme Exhaustion

I have been on Suboxone for two months and feel like I have been gifted my life back. I started at 24 mg daily and am down to 12 mg. The last three weeks my mouth and lips are numb/tingling all day long. Inside it is swollen. I also have canker sores all over my cheeks and under my tongue. I cannot drink anything carbonated because it burns. The same is true for spicy food and hot tea. When I look in my mouth in the mirror I see very flushed swollen tissue with tiny red dots and huge (the size of pencil erasers) white sores.
I am also exhausted most of the time. I sleep well and wake up feeling refreshed. An hour later I am ready to go back to bed. Anytime I sit down I start to fall asleep. I have decreased my dosage and the results are I remain very tired and I crave my doc obsessively. I cannot drive longer than about 30 min before I become a danger to myself and others.
I don't go back to the doc for two more weeks. He charges $150 per visit and I can't afford to go more than once a month. HELP!
Phoenix Love is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Phoenix Love For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-08-2013)
Unread 07-01-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
MissSurvivor

I would go to an urgent care or hospital or primary doc... dentist/oral doc for that mouth issue.. it's probably not from Sub.. especially since you've been on it. Just my thoughts though... I'm still a beginner myself. Seriously though get that checked! Let us know... I'm sorry you're experiencing this how awful!

Danielle
MissSurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
jpotts

Hello Phenix,

I just thought I would let you know that about a year ago I had very similar symtoms and finially went to a Dr. and I had Hand-foot-and-mouth it may not be the same, but I had really bad sores in my mouth and throat as well in the end and was really tired and had a low fever. They call it Hand-foot-and-mouth because children get it on there hands and feet but adults don't usually. It may not be the same thing but thought I would tell you my experiance.

Good luck I hope you feel better!! Keep us posted!!
jpotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 11:43 PM   #4
lisa226969

Hi Phoenix- I am very sorry that you are going thru this trouble. I have to agree with what others have already posted here....IMHO- you really need to get this checked out. Do not let it go. A friend of mine had Hand-Foot-& Mouth disease, and it can be treated. If that is what you have. Either way, it does not sound like the Sub is causing it, however, it has to be very difficult to have to take your Sub, since you have to place it under your tongue, and you are already having problems there. Please keep us posted on how you are doing. I hope you feel better soon. Take care....Lisa
lisa226969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
ryedog55

Default I have the same problem

I'm on 3 8mg subs a day. I get extremely dry mouth, my teet are always sore and my tounge is always really dry. I use this stuff called Biotene. It's dry mouth..mouth wash and it works great. I would also buy mouthwash with peroxide in it. Glyoxide is really good for sores in the mouth. So is salt water 2-8 times a day. I have found out that part of my problem also is that my stomach acid is so bad that it comes up my esophogus and hits the back of my mouth, making my teet hurt so bad. Believe it or not, I'll squeeze 1 whole lemon in a glass of water, add splenda and drink it. The lemon turns to alkaline in the stomach and helps neutralize the Ph levels. It can regulate your acid and also help with the germs in the mouth. Apple Cider Vineger is also great. Go to a health food store and buy a little bottle. 1 tbsp in some water or orange juice. This helps me. If I try cutting back a little bit on the suboxone myself, I too get extremely exhausted. You were at 24 then down to 12. That's a big decrease real fast for only 2 months. I would ask the doc to up you to 3 a day, then 2 1/2 a day then 2 a day. I would try walking in the morning when you first get up or jogging. It helps you maintain your energy for the rest of the day. So does coffee, but not with your mouth condition. Good luck cause I know I need it too. Keep us posted will ya. Regards.....Ryan
ryedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to ryedog55 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (07-12-2010), Thank You (07-11-2010)
Unread 07-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
Phoenix Love

Just wanted to give an update. The sore mouth was the result of suboxone. The doc had me breaking the pills and dosing 4x daily with the instructions to keep it in my mouth for 30 min and then spit. I started dosing 1-2x per day and my mouth cleared up immediately. I'm still pretty fatigued, my dosage was increased and the fatigue worsened. I couldn't even sit at the computer without nodding off and was sleeping 12-14 hrs per day. I cut the dosage to 6 mg and although still don't have as much energy as I'd like, I'm more alert than I was on 12, 16, or 18 mg and am not falling asleep every time I sit down. I'm now sleeping 10-12 hrs a day.
Unread 07-20-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
blackthorn

I am a little unclear the doctor said the mouth sores where from the sub? I understand the tiredness if you dose is to high. But mouth sores?
blackthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:12 AM   #8
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Phoenix, that's great that you're getting answers. I guess it does make sense, if you were dosing 4x a day and were instructed to keep it in your mouth for 30 minutes - even after it dissolved - it may have caused some problems because it could have been just fillers that were left and that may have irritated you? That's just a speculative guess on my part. lol You only have to keep it under your tongue until it's dissolved - for some it takes less time than others.

When did you reduce to 6mg? Just be mindful that it can take a few days to notice a reduction because of the halflife. If you still feel fatigued, you might think about even trying 4mg. As long as you're not having any cravings or withdrawals.

Great news, thanks for the update!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #9
Phoenix Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
I am a little unclear the doctor said the mouth sores where from the sub? I understand the tiredness if you dose is to high. But mouth sores?
The doc speculates that I may have a sensitivity to the naloxone.
Unread 07-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
Phoenix Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyB View Post
Hi Phoenix, that's great that you're getting answers. I guess it does make sense, if you were dosing 4x a day and were instructed to keep it in your mouth for 30 minutes - even after it dissolved - it may have caused some problems because it could have been just fillers that were left and that may have irritated you? That's just a speculative guess on my part. lol You only have to keep it under your tongue until it's dissolved - for some it takes less time than others.

When did you reduce to 6mg? Just be mindful that it can take a few days to notice a reduction because of the halflife. If you still feel fatigued, you might think about even trying 4mg. As long as you're not having any cravings or withdrawals.

Great news, thanks for the update!

Nancy
I reduced to 6 mg four days ago. I'll stick with it for a week and if I have no cravings or withdrawals and am still fatigued I'll drop down to four. I love that reducing my dosage has been so easy. I thought it would be scary but then realized that what I think about all day long becomes my reality. Instead of ruminating on every possible negative effect or outcome I choose to believe that tapering is simple, comfortable and in the highest and best for my body. The only side effect I've noticed is intermittent depression and that was a factor prior to my addiction. I'm addressing the root cause and becoming aware of thinking habits that trigger a downward spiral. Once aware that a trigger has been activated I am getting much better at interrupting the cycle of destructive thinking. That will ultimately be the key to my success. I'm blessed to have the stability that suboxone affords while I build my permanent foundation.
Unread 07-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #11
Chellie1626

I just wanted to put out there that I am only on day 9 and I too have soares in my mouth and tongue.... Also still so sleppy better than I was but still very sleepy and my entire body aches all over. like I have heard fibirmialga does to ones but body, I am hoping only a side effect
Chellie1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 08:29 PM   #12
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Phoenix Love, great insights and great work you're doing on your triggers and behavior modification. That is a wonderful recovery plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Love View Post
Once aware that a trigger has been activated I am getting much better at interrupting the cycle of destructive thinking. That will ultimately be the key to my success. I'm blessed to have the stability that suboxone affords while I build my permanent foundation.
Very well said. That's exactly how Suboxone should be utilized as a tool! To stop the cravings and withdrawals so you can build a solid recovery foundation.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 05:47 AM   #13
Julestime2live

Hello All, I am on day 5 of treatment, I started on Suboxone and was switched to Subonex on my third day. I'm experiencing the sore mouth problems, no sores, but my gums and inside of my lower lip is very sore and burns. It hurts to suck on my lolly pops, which I have been doing a lot lately, smoke a cig, or even drink a cup of coffee. It has to be the process of taking these medications. Maybe some are just more likely to have this problem. It also hurts more when I brush my teeth, which is a problem since I also am OCD and brushing my teeth was one of my obsessions. I found myself not brushing as often because of the pain it is causing.
Tomorrow I am going to get sensodine toothpaste and mouthwash for sensitive mouths.

So I am getting from these posts that this is not common?

Jules
Julestime2live is offline   Reply With Quote