Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 11-03-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
susanj

Default Introducing myself

It has been 24 hours since my last drink. I called AA yesterday and spoke with a very nice lady--we're meeting today at a Beginner's meeting. I have stopped drinking before, but now realize that I never got sober. Feeling rather rough right now, but am ready to do whatever, absolutely whatever it takes this time. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired! And I cannot do this alone--and why would I want to anyway? Being tough and isolating myself doesn't lead to serenity at all! Always before, I would hear my father's words, "I just don't get it. When I realized what drinking was doing to me I quit. Why doesn't she just quit?" Well, I tried and tried to be strong. My father died 10 years ago so why am I still trying to please him? Sheesh! I guess it takes what it takes to hit bottom, and I have. I am determined--just for today I will not drink and will go to a meeting. I started the day on my knees. I so wanted to die yesterday--I know I was trying to drink myself to death. Then I reached out and suddenly friends who I hadn't talked to in months called "just in the neighborhood--can I stop by?" I am so grateful to be so blessed. I am prepared to feel lousy for a few days--am trying to keep some crackers down and to drink lots of water, but boy-oh-boy, I feel awful! Such a headache and sour stomach!

Thanks for letting me join your group. I really, really, really do want to get better!

Susan
susanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
CarlyO

Hi SusanJ

Welcome to the forum and so glad you found us ! Congrats on making the decision to stop drinking ! It sounds like you have done this before and it is great you have a meeting set up. Do not let anything stop you from that first meeting!

Are you stopping alcohol with the help of a medical professional ? If not , I want to remind you about the dangers of quitting "cold turkey," it can be so very dangerous. Ideally, it is done under medical supervision, I do not know how much - for how long you were drinking, but please , please - get medical help asap if you have serious symptoms. I am going to provide some links to read - and you may find comfort in reading older posts, like Jane Doe's and Angie who has recently stopped as well !

It is baffling when people , especially family thinks it is a matter of will power, yeah just stop drinking, is like asking to stop breathing in some cases !
Please post if you need to vent, have any questions ,etc... and take care of yourself during the detox process. Surround yourself with positive things and yes, that is wonderful that you reached out and someone was there, it is amazing how that works ! You can do this !

Again, welcome Susan and take care, Carly : )
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
CarlyO

Susan, these are just some of the links to info you can find on this website. I hope they help ....

Treatment locator : Physicians, counselors and treatment facilities..
Just type in your zip code ...

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/local/

Below is a list of the various support groups that are available and how to find one near you. There is now much more than traditional AA, there are many types of support groups out there.

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/resour...port-links.cfm

Link to medication assisted treatment options... this can be an invaluable tool to help with cravings.

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/treatm...-treatment.cfm

Information for your family ....
Education for your family/loved ones can be vital to their understanding of what you are facing and trying to accomplish.
Below is the link to the information and other resources on the site that may help them.

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/friends-family/

For even more information and resources click on any of the links on the right hand side or at the top of the page.
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 11-06-2008, 02:16 PM   #4
CASEY

Hi SusanJ,
Welcome to this site.
Have you ever thought of going into DeTox?? It can help with all the side effect's you will experience, and some can be very dangerous! It is not something to go into lightly. Congradulation's on knowing you need to stop and just take it day by day and sometime's minute by minute!!
I wish you Luck!
Casey
CASEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 12:19 AM   #5
CarlyO

Hi Susan,

Just checking on you, I hope you are allright ? How are you feeling ? I know I sound like a broken record about the danger of alcohol withdrawals . As I stated in my first post and in the links, get medical help asap for the withdrawals. Please - do not let shame or pride or anything like that deter you from seeking help. Doctors, clinics, etc... will be glad you are being proactive and that you realize how dangerous - just stopping is.
If you need intensive help, they can refer you.
Anyway, I was getting a bit worried, but I hope maybe you are with your friends as you mentioned above and all is well - especially the physical aspect. Keep us posted when you can.

Hang in there and take care , Carly
Unread 11-26-2008, 11:00 AM   #6
JaneDoe

susanj, are you still around?

Hope you're ok.

JaneDoe
JaneDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 01:47 PM   #7
JaneDoe

Hey susan j. Check in please.

JaneDoe
JaneDoe is offline   Reply With Quote