Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 01-05-2009, 10:03 PM   #1
Miarich

Default New, but wanting bad

I have had drinking problems for many years. I want so bad to stop, but just can't take that first step: STOP. how do you do that as drinking has been a large part of me and how I handle things, pain and worry go away when drinking. How do I stop for at least a day? Help.
Miarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2009, 10:52 PM   #2
dave53190

Believe me; there is a power greater than you and me that can and will remove the obsession to drink from you for one day if you wish. On day at a time really works.
Being as honest as you can right now, ask this power to relieve you of the obsession to drink for just today. Good luck to you!
dave53190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2009, 01:49 AM   #3
jerryg

Miarich,
Welcome to the board. I think you will find it helpful.

If this is you first time here, let offer you some links to info about alcohol dependence.

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/alcoho...-questions.cfm

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/alcoho...our-health.cfm

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/alcoho...ence-abuse.cfm

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/treatm...ns/default.cfm
As you said you know how hard it is. And folks here will agree with you . But with education and support people do find their way.
Have you spoken with any professional addiction counselor or your doctor?
How often are you drinking? Have you had symptoms of alcohol withdrawal, shakes and such?
Please be careful with that. Alcohol detox may require medical supervision. Getting assessed by a doctor is a good idea. Take it seriously.
Welcome.
Stay in touch.

All the best,

Jerry
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
jerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to jerryg For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-08-2009)
Unread 01-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #4
CarlyO

Default Welcome miarich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miarich View Post
I have had drinking problems for many years. I want so bad to stop, but just can't take that first step: STOP. how do you do that as drinking has been a large part of me and how I handle things, pain and worry go away when drinking. How do I stop for at least a day? Help.

Hi and welcome Miarich,

Asking for answers, wanting to stop is a first step. Have you had time to read the links Jerry provided? Also, read the posts from members here and ask questions, vent whatever it takes to get you to taking action. One step at a time, like getting through withdrawals safely.

If you were to sit in a meting/support group, you would hear stories by people ( myself included) that belived there was no hope, no life without alcohol/substances. But there is hope, people get better everyday and so can you !

Please keep up posted, YOU CAN DO THIS ! : ) Carly
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to CarlyO For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-07-2009)
Unread 01-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #5
CarlyO

Default Welcome dave !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave53190 View Post
Believe me; there is a power greater than you and me that can and will remove the obsession to drink from you for one day if you wish. On day at a time really works.
Being as honest as you can right now, ask this power to relieve you of the obsession to drink for just today. Good luck to you!
Hi Dave and welcome to the forum. I hope all is well and great feedback, I hope we will hear more from you. Take care, Carly
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2009, 11:57 PM   #6
dave53190

Thanks for the kind words Carly. You seem to be genuinely interested in other people finding sobriety. I believe that that is one of the greatest gifts of sobriety. Once sober, we alcoholics become less interested in ourselves and want to share what we have found with those who are currently trapped in the disease of alcoholism.
dave53190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
Miarich

Thank you, you sound very positive and I'm sure been through a lot to get there.
Miarich is offline   Reply With Quote