Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 11-14-2016, 05:15 PM   #1
Recovery93070

Red face my first day to a better life

Hello everyone, I just wanted to tell my story to anyone that's so scared to get off of opiates. Please don't dwell on the withdrawals coming off of opiates. I was addicted to Norc's for 15 years taking 10-15 a day and I was so done with everything that this addiction had.From worrying about "from running out" to panicked on having pills to get me through til my script was due" there's so many things that came with being addicted to these pills. I was so depressed and my energy level was so low no matter how many pills I took I would pop energy shots to get me through work. "Mind you I work in the medical field and I take care of people " and the more tierd I got the more pills I would take, vicious cycle. I had been going to my pain management dr for 8yrs and "stupid me" I took a few of my husband's oxys to see if that would help me (because its different then my meds ) and a week later I took a pee test for my pain meds. And it came back that I had oxy in my system. So I have never failed a pee test before. But I wasn't thinking at all. (Like an addict would do) so my dr. Confronted me about it and I just balled like a baby. And I told him I'm addicted to these pills and I'll die if I quit them. My heart won't be able to handle and I'm scared of the withdrawals I've tried to get off a lot of times. And it scares the hell out of me.I need help so please help me get off of these. I'm so done living this way. I have real pain but it's more in my head so I can get the pain pills. So he told me to stop taking my Norco on Saturday night and come in Monday morning and he'll start me on suboxone that day. So i did just that. I stopped and this site and everyone's story on here gave me the hope and the drive to get through the 36 hours. I know everyone is different. But I am proof that if you put your mind to something you can do it. I had temptations because I still had pain meds but my heart and mind was so ready to get off these pills. I did go through the physical wds chills, skin crawling, shaking, cramping, nausea ,diarrhea, but I got on here and read other people story and advice, it helped me so much. So today is my first dose of suboxone (8mg)and within 20 minutes the physical wtd started fading away. The first time in 15 years I feel like myself. I'm not numb anymore. From brushing my hair to the feeling of the water on my skin in the shower is amazing. My feelings are back. I feel so much better. I hope my story will help anyone that really needs to hear that there is light at the end of the dark tunnel. I'm only on day one of suboxone but I'm 2days clean from the Norco nightmare. I'll keep in touch everyday on my progress. And to Kathy B thank you so much for all the advice you have given us all. THANKS FOR READING MY BOOK LOL
Recovery93070 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Recovery93070 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (02-26-2017)
Unread 11-15-2016, 05:54 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Recovery93070, I'm so glad it went well for you yesterday. What you might think about doing is keeping a journal of your dosing and how you feel this week. It takes about that time to stabilize and you could get an idea if you need an adjustment up or down after stabilizing.

Thanks so much for sharing your story. I'm sure it will help others in making that big decision to get help.

Let us know how you're doing!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-17-2016)
Unread 11-16-2016, 09:11 PM   #3
jimash55

Default Good For You!

..you have taken a very important step towards a better way of living. I will not bore you with my story as I have it posted throughout this site. I joined Naabt about 7 years ago and there is a bunch of good- serious minded people here that is doing very well in long term recovery.
I am not one to give advice but I will give a suggestion or two. One- don't try to get better(well) too quick... be patient and take it slow. Two... there is no need for you to set a date or make plans about how long you will be on your medication... because Suboxone is just that... a medication that you need to help you.
Glad you posted and please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing... Stay Strong!
jimash55 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to jimash55 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-18-2016), Thank You (11-17-2016)
Unread 11-17-2016, 09:47 AM   #4
Recovery93070

Smile

Thanks to you all. Any advice is very appreciative. This is my first time on silicone to get better. Nancy B thank you for your advice I will do that starting today. I am on day five and doing awesome. The only problem I'm having is sleeping. I've always had insomnia and took ativan but I don't want to take anything at all so I'm gonna try to start with melatonin.and see if it helps. I thought I would have anxiety without Norc's but my body is handling the med great. I feel like myself again and it's the best feeling ever. I love who I was before the Norc's and everyday I'm seeing a change. I'm not ever gonna say it wasn't a challenge to get this far because it was. But it sure makes me think that "I'm never gonna go back to any opiate again and go through what I did to get thos far" so anything anyone suggest I will try to stay clean. Thanks again for all your suggestions. God bless
Unread 11-18-2016, 05:26 AM   #5
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Recovery93070, what time are you taking your medication? For some, taking it in the afternoon or later can cause sleep issues. Melatonin, Valerian Root, benedryl and chamomile tea are some things that have helped others with sleep over the years. Hopefully one will work for you.

Keep us posted on how you're doing!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Thank You (11-23-2016)
Unread 11-23-2016, 08:56 AM   #6
Recovery93070

Hi Nancy, I always take it when I wake up one strip. So around 6:00 am I think I'm having a hard time is because I was taking ativan to help with sleep and when I stopped taking the Norc's I stopped everything and my body it use to taking something to sleep. So thank you for the advice I will try what you suggested to see. Today I'm a week and 2 days no pills and my energy is coming back and my mind is clear. I feel amazing. I hope someone reads all of these wonderful post that people have wrote on here. Because it sure helped me mentally and prepare me for this road of recovery. I wish I could tell everyone that posted on here that gave me hope a big THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS! I'm free from the grasp of pain pills. The one hard thing I noticed is just the habit of going to my purse to get a pill. Or I use to keep some in my pocket. Its hard to get pass the habit itself. I feel like I'm forgetting something. It's like when you quit smoking its the habit of having a Cigarette in between your fingers. I feels like that. But my cravings are gone. I know from what I read on here how much I will regret it if I take one just one will make me sick. So nope I'm done I refuse to start all over. I will talk to you all soon thanks again
2 Users Say Thank You to Recovery93070 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-23-2016), Thank You (01-08-2017)
Unread 11-24-2016, 07:17 AM   #7
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Recovery93070, that makes sense if you were taking ativan for sleep and stopped it. Hopefully something else might work.

The habit of reaching for something should dissipate with time. What is really fabulous about it is that you don't get cravings when that happens. That's really big.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. Keep up the great work!

Nancy
Thank You (11-28-2016)
Unread 11-28-2016, 12:31 AM   #8
Recovery93070

Thanks so much for the positive responses. I appreciate and trust in you. I did alot of reading on this site before I became a member and the things I read on other people post and your replies were so awesome and it hit home from where I was at at that time. .Nancy B I do have a question for you. Is suboxone a substitute for pain meds? Or is suboxone take the substance out of my system. If so how long does it take to get all the norcos out of system. Because it's like everyday I feel more like myself and finding more things I like to do that I hated doing like for example. I hate to clean my house lol I love it know it's almost become more ocd about keeping my house cleaned n organized. Just things I didn't want to is now what I love to do. And the norcos just drained me and made me depressed. But now its been two weeks and I feel like a better person. Extreme energy (which I love) its all natural and positive. So I'm confused on suboxone is it taking out all the bad addicted meds in my system and if so why do I have to take for a long time then tapering off. Jw. I'm not suggesting that I want to stop taking it im jw how it works thanks again. I want to be a person like you and help others in this difficult cycle of addiction. But for now I'll get better and then pay it forward
Unread 11-28-2016, 02:26 PM   #9
NancyB
Administrator

Hi again, buprenorphine (active ingredient in Suboxone) is an opiate partial agonist. Since it is an opioid, it can help with pain relief - but that's hit or miss. For some it helps a lot and for others, not so much or not at all.

This is a good read: https://naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm?ID=2

Norco (hydrocodone) is a short-acting opioid with a half life of around 4 hours. So the norco is gone from your system.

What the Suboxone is doing is stopping cravings and withdrawals so that you can do the work needed on the addiction. Addiction is more than the substance - people can be addicted to food, sex, shopping, etc. Addiction is defined as behavior. Uncontrollable, compulsive behavior despite negative consequences. That is what needs to be worked on while the Suboxone suppresses the cravings and withdrawals.

Another good link to read:
https://naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm?ID=1

Length of treatment should be determined by both the patient and his/her doctor. Some people do fine with short-term treatment (less than 3 months) and others need longer - depending on the damage they need to repair and how strong they feel and other circumstances that are different with everyone. This is an outline that could help:
http://addictionsurvivors.org/vbulle...ad.php?t=23809

That's a good idea to concentrate on yourself right now and take care of you! You've already helped a lot of people by sharing your story here.

Nancy
Unread 02-26-2017, 01:01 PM   #10
Izzy1982

Thanks for sharing your inspirational testimony!!! As an addict for over half my life, I know the nightmare very well. I wouldn't wish addiction on anyone. I've been in sub treatment for approximately 16 months. I started on dilaudid at age 14, & before I knew it I was taking a LOT of morphine, oxy contin & many other drugs. I ended up starting a methadone clinic when I was 19, along with my fiancé at the time. It helped for awhile, we got married, & things seemed pretty good. Fast forward approximately 13 years & my husband & I were ready for a change. We started sub treatment together & its one of the best decisions we've made. It will always be hard to be an addict, but this is the most "normal" I've felt in years. Best wishes to you!! You should be very proud of yourself 😊[COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]
Izzy1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to Izzy1982 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (02-26-2017), Thank You (02-26-2017)
Unread 03-07-2017, 05:05 PM   #11
jimash55

Default Recovery 93070

....are you ok? Stay Strong and let us hear from you.
jimash55 is offline   Reply With Quote