Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 04-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
ncsurf1

Default nightmares!!!

Hey all, Since i've started suboxone Ive been having pretty intense dreams. Lately I've been having nightmares and literally jump out of bed yelling ,my heart will be racing and I'm in kinda a state of panic or fog if you will, until I calm down.then I go right back to sleep. Its been happening more frequently lately and its scary! I've never jump up and hollered out for someone to help me, and thats what i've been doing. Is there anybody here has had this happen to them?
ncsurf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
jayded

I've never had those kind of dreams since I've been on this med. That sounds pretty serious (especially if your heart is racing) if it's just been happenning since taking suboxone. I would mention that to your doctor.
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Chuck, here are the links from chat:

http://asdreams.org/subidxedunightmares.htm
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003209.htm

And a good thread about 'jolts':
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=12654

Hope you have sweet dreams tonight.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
monsterkitty

I had some pretty intense dreams last night, kept waking me up!! I think when we are on high doses of the drugs it suppresses our REM sleep state. Hopefully it will subside as time goes on.
monsterkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
sierraraynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsurf1 View Post
Hey all, Since i've started suboxone Ive been having pretty intense dreams. Lately I've been having nightmares and literally jump out of bed yelling ,my heart will be racing and I'm in kinda a state of panic or fog if you will, until I calm down.then I go right back to sleep. Its been happening more frequently lately and its scary! I've never jump up and hollered out for someone to help me, and thats what i've been doing. Is there anybody here has had this happen to them?
HI Nc
I am sorry bout the dreams. I used to take something to quit smoking and at that time it created me to drasticly reduce my methadone too. I had so many dreams, good bad but VIVID as hell they call it lucid dreaming. I am coming at you from a spiritual place too btw. It is a coping mech too. you have shit loads going on and lots of unresolved stuff so our dreams help us cope and come to terms and figure stuff out. Look up lucid dreaming you can guide your dreams and in turn help you figure out what your feeling deep down I could never achieve it on mdone but I am hoping I can now Its called guided lucid dreaming I believe i have alot of books if you are interested I will give you the name of a good one, it will put you back in control at least.
Hugs
~Michele
Thank You (05-04-2010)
Unread 04-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
monsterkitty

Hi Michele; I used to record my dreams on a website, I can't remember which one. I would write them down on a notepad in the middle of the night, and it seemed the more I would get up to write them down, the more vivid and intense they became with many of them being lucid dreams. I began to have many prophetic dreams, and began to experience the five senses in the dreams. I would taste, hear music, feel warmth or cold, never did smell. Really amazing what happens when you begin to pay attention to your dreams. I then began to use again and it all stopped. Last night they started up again, but I am wondering if it is because of the suboxone. It would be great if it continued.
Unread 04-07-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
sierraraynes

HI monsterkitty
I think I am gonna get a new dream journal again this thread inspired me. I have not been able to like you said because of the pills but I think the fog has lifted and I feel great today ready to take on the world so to speak, but I gotta do my math homework first. lmao
I am gonna get a new journal one for the sub and one for the dreams thanks for the reminder. It is a good tool used right and faithfully!
Hugs and thanks
~Michele
Unread 04-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
monsterkitty

Michele, I placed a notepad and pen by my bedside last night, lol. I did have vivid dreams but I don't remember what they were. Yeah, this thread inspired me too.
Unread 04-07-2010, 02:05 PM   #9
deanna

Quote:
Absolutely! i used to have a lot of nightmares when I started sub. Thank God they went away after some time.... its been quite a while since Ive had them. Hopefully will be the same for you too.
Unread 04-28-2010, 01:40 AM   #10
edubois87

Default VIVID NIGHTMARES + Lucid dreaming

I just woke up after about 2 hours of sleep which felt like a week. WOW!
Dosage:
Ive been on only suboxone for about a month. Went from 40-80 mil oxy per day to subs only- also i stopped smoking weed too for the same amount of time (1 month) At first i would do 2mil of sub until now i do about 1/8-1/16 per day, I know its small but gives me a kick and drives me to do WAY BETTER at work and at home! I dont want to stop takin subs but know it will come some day. I did a little extra sub today, usually take a tiny tiny bit 3x throughout the day. Back to the dream.
Dream:
This is the fourth crazy dream within 30 days. 1st was my throat got cut while sitting around a table of friends blowin oxy, second was another near death experience, third was last week, I banged my head in my dream and my teeth were all messed up kinda pointing outward a bit.. Eventually i pulled it out but it wasnt too bad, i was laughing with my gf in the dream we kinda made it a joke. Tonight wasnt like the others. Wayyyy to0 real- very scary!! First I was just hanging out and all of a sudden a HUGE pain in my teeth- left side where i think im getting a cavity cuz it tingles when i chew hard food. The pain was excrutiating! IT was bubbling and turning black not to mention moving my whole left rows of teeth out of wack! The pain was unexplainable like a migraine in my teeth. I thought in my dream it MUST be a dream and pushed to wake up but nope! i would wake up in my bed IN THE SAME DREAM! This happened 4-5 times it was CRAZY! Other times I would wake up in my bed spitting teeth out! Then the dream turned lucid- kind of pleasant. There also was a guy telling me that he was giving me this oppertunity and to take advantage- you are a special person when I asked him. He was an all knowing being he didnt talk but sent thoughts directly into my head. I took advantage of this lucid dream and did enjoy it a bit but it still was a bit unpleasant. There was around 4 times I said to myself yep still dreaming, I can still dick around. I finally really woke up and my ear was hurting like crazy! Like it was folded over also my wrists hurt. They still do a little. I think this is all because i did a little more today in the AM than usual. Im glad to see others with the same kinds of issue and look forward to some follow up. Going forth with a more steady dose i think is the answer. When I wake up from these dreams I am calm and instantly know everything is fine. Also going to my doctor definetly isnt an option. Thanks!
edubois87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2010, 07:36 AM   #11
keico26

I can completely relate to you!! During my first month of sub, I had crazy dreams like that! Especially the ones where my teeth fell out or I was using. Like you, I did oxy and smoked weed and gave it all up when I started sub. The dreams are not as frequent now as they were in the beginning. I still have them occasionaly! I am glad the Sub is working out for you!!!! Here is a dream interpretation I found about dreaming of teeth!

Teeth
To dream that you have rotten or decaying teeth, forewarns that your health and/or business is in jeopardy. You may have uttered some false or foul words and those words are coming back to haunt you.

To dream that your teeth is gleaming, signifies happiness and fulfilled wishes.
To dream that you are brushing your teeth, signifies your level of confidence, struggles and aggressiveness. You need to look out for yourself and your own interest. Perhaps, you feel that your standing or position is shaky.
*For an in depth analysis, click on Common Dreams: Teeth

Wisdom Teeth
To dream about your wisdom teeth, indicates new or emerging knowledge. You are learning something new about yourself. Alternatively, the dream may be telling you act more smartly about a situation. Make sure to think things though.

Cavities
To dream that you have a cavity, indicates feelings of fear and insecurity over a situation. You are lacking self confidence.

Dentures
To dream that you are wearing dentures, indicates that you are not being completely honest in some waking matter.

To see or dream that others are wearing dentures, suggests that someone in your life is not who they say they are. They are being deceitful.

keico26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #12
chelebelle

I started on Methadone treatment in September 08, and I was on 105 mg's for about a year. Then my heart stopped and I died, and at first they thought it was the methadone, but quickly realized it wasn't so I was able to go back on it. I moved, changed clinics, as well as my dosage. I got down to 80 mg/day! That was almost a year ago, and now I have finally made the switch to sbxne. I have been on sbxne for about 2 1/2 weeks now. I feel like a completely different person. The only issue I am having is that these nitemares!!!! Last night, I had 5 separate dreams. I wasn't using in all of them, only one. In every dream I had, I was trying to escape from the people holding me hostage. It was never the exact same scenario, never the same people. But the dreams were so vivid that I would know in my dream I was dreaming, and I would know that I was struggling to wake up, but couldn't. I would wake up with a very high pulse rate, sweating, almost in a panic. I never experienced this with the Methadone, and honestly, I don't like it. Who would? haha. Anyhow, I really feel like these dreams are caused by the suboxone but my doctor's office swears it has nothing to do with it. My partner, unlike myself, experienced nitemares on the Methadone as well as the Sbxne. How long does this normally last for most patients? I slept so horribly that I slept til 1:00 this afternoon.....something I haven't done since I was in active addiction. I don't like this. I don't know what I'm really asking for, I guess I just want someone to tell me they experienced something similar?
chelebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2010, 04:33 PM   #13
ironman

Something I learned years ago - ever have that feeling in the morning when you have raced around running late, that 'you've forgot something ?' . Usually experienced as your heading down the road to work or where ever. Its a nagging feeling that you can't readily resolve and not necessarily that you 'forgot' something but this is how its manifested in most people. Well, the 'trick' I learned was to make sure that when you wake up in the morning, take a minute or so to recall your dream(s), even 'finish' them, before you jump outta bed. It worked great for me - not only did it stop the above scenario which only happened on rare occasion but my day seemed to go much smoother. Once you get in the habit and make it routine I think you'll find that its a beneficial exercise. If your dream was interrupted by the alarm clock etc., just think of/create a logical or satisfactory conclusion to it and then get up.
Since starting on Sub I discovered that I know longer remember my dreams which I belivee adds, i part, to the 'anxiety' I experience during the day. Last year I had a very disturbing thing start happening. I have day time, awake dreams so to speak. I have a real phobia to/about snakes. It seems that every damn day I see or hear something on the subject, be it on TV shows/movies or somewhere on the 'net. Now i have 'visions' of them pop into my consciousness at random. They are just brief flashes but man are they disturbing !! The bit about seeing them on TV etc., has got to be very annoying - I have to keep my remote handy so as to hit the channel button - it really is a daily thing and I've had to talk myself int not believeng that 'some one/some thing' isn't trying to tell me/warn me of some imendinjg encounter with those things I HATE the most ! Between the commercials for that stupid reality show - the 'Exterminator' guy or movies in the TV listings such as 'Snakes On A Plane' (yikes), newspaper articles - you name it ! When I first lay down at night and close my eyes - guess what I see in my 'minds eye' ?? Crossed fingers/toes that I never actually have a nightmare about them nut fortunately, to date, this hasn't happened ! But I do have these mini hallucinations kinda/like. I 've defiantly had auditory hallucinations isnce being on Sub. A minor annoyance really. For a time I'd wkae up thinking I heard the phone ring or someone knocking atmy door. This has happened when awake although I suspect not 'fully' awake. They are VERY real sounding though. Its not until I've fully proved to myself that no ones rang my phone or been knocking on my door (these often happen at 3 - 4am so unlikely too). Wird things happen when you mess with REM sleep, no doubt. An issue with DT's with alcoholics if I'm not mistaken.
Anyhow, try out the 'remember your dreams' thing (if you do still dream). My days always started a little better/brighter when I was able to do so.
ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 08:41 AM   #14
nickie

Default It's "Showtime!"

I just started subutex Sunday. Now, I did all the work getting was down and almost off of my 18 yrs methadone tx. program outside of about the last
5-7 mg. I dust needed to ride this subutex bus very lightly to help me off the rest of the way. I told the Dr. I was barely on anything and detoxed myself down from my meth by myself because I was told I could never do it. I have been on it too long...Sure at 250 buck a month in their pocket!!! Anyway, My withdrawal symptoms were not bad. I could deal with them. BUT, I could NOT deal with "my legs!" The pain and restlessness of them was unbearable which is the ONLY reason I saw the Dr. He gave me the usual dosing of this med. The first dose of 4 mg I felt great. But after taking that 3-4 times a day I was in High Gear!!! I felt like I was high when I did heroin, but allot of heavy feelings in my chest, like anxiety, and the DREAMS!!!!!!!! Never had such vivid and explicit visions as I was trying to fall asleep when my eyes were closed. The back of my eyelids became a movie screen and anything I thought about, consciously, they would play out in my mind and my eyelids were their screen. I took myself way down to only a half on a 2mg tablet as I FEEL i need it, from 4mg 3-4 times a day! I was barely on any meth when I began this med. and this starting dose was way to much for me!!!! So its these vivid dreams and heaviness, tightness in my chest that I am not going to be a frequent flyer with this med. I only want to hit it and quit it for the short of it. Anything else would be defeating the purpose to be in control of my life and not something else in control of me!!! But I am grateful to have it gently get me from the end to my finish line!!!
Good luck to everyone out there. Recovery is a battle of the minds and your will to conquer! It's how bad you want it. That's it! God Bless all of you on your journeys! I am thrilled to say mine is finally over!!! I am Free At Last!!!! And there's nothing like it in the WORLD!!!
nickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #15
banana26

hey nickie.. so when i fiarst started doing heroin this guy i was using with told me that its the opiates that give u nightmares. I started having extreme night terrors that were just mind boggling and it turned into a nightly problem. I have noticed I still get nightmares on suboxon. (today is day 13 off the junk) but there are some good ones in there too. They are so vivid and intense I find it absolutely fascinating how it effects your brain. Im glad at least i know other people go thru the same thing i do!!
banana26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #16
DARKEYES

Quote:
Hi,
That happened to me too. It subsided after about a month on sub. I would wake up screaming, but could NOT remember what the dream was about. I was covered with sweat, soaked if you will. After a while it stopped. Now I just have dreams. "Regular" ones.
Unread 08-26-2010, 02:29 PM   #17
Julnjer

HI. I had some really crazy dreams when I first started subs, but the wierdest thing is I started talking in my sleep, and I would wake up talking. It was nuts. My husband thought it was a riot, I did not!! lol! Anyway, chances are this will subside in time, it did for me. No worries.... JNJ
Unread 11-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #18
SLIP67

I've been on Suboxone for 6 weeks now and I've been having very intense, bad dreams. I've been having them almost every night. I'm trying to wait it out and hope that it passes, but it's starting to really get me down. The dreams involve past and present plus an added layer of terrible things that I don't even think about when I'm awake. Some of the things I can recognize as unresolved issues and relationships in my past as well as current unresolved issues. Other things are just crazy (sometimes scary) and don't make sense. When I wake up from these dreams, I have such a bad feeling that I try not to remember the details, but I often just have a feeling that haunts me for most of the day. I'm starting to dread going to sleep b/c I know chances are that I'm going to have another bad dream. I don't recall having these problems before, not when I was using or not. It must be the Suboxone, but I don't understand how a med can dictate your dreams.

Can anyone tell me they have experienced this and how long it took to go away?
SLIP67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 05:12 PM   #19
DARKEYES

Hi,
During the first few weeks I was on sub I had them too. One night I woke up screaming, one night I fell right out of my bed They were so real, but then I could not remember them for long. Only one I still remember and it still gives me shivers. The point is, they did subside after a few more weeks, I've been on sub for over a year now and have "normal" dreams.

Good Luck...they will go away. It's a lot of pressure, the induction to your medication, getting your disease into remission. Counseling or meetings or one on one therapy works well with the path your on now. Utilize anything that you like, meetings, or a therapist. I'm partial to the one on one therapy. I see a therapist once a month for one hour and the time flies by.
Unread 11-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #20
SLIP67

Thanks. Yes, I see a therapist once a week. The hour definitely flies by. Haven't had time to talk about the bad dreams yet. Too much other crap to deal with first.
SLIP67 is offline   Reply With Quote