Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 08-29-2008, 05:36 AM   #1
animalman

Default Strange adverse effects

I have been experiencing some strange things physically and the only thing I can coorelate them with is suboxone. I'm a somewhat healthy 25 year old guy. Anyway, after being on suboxone for a few months i began having these weird sensations that something is just not right with me physically. My heart palpitates, and I feel like I'm on the verge of a seizure or fainting or something. I get really dizzy, and light-headed. It feels like suboxone has somehow damaged my cardivascular system. It is so physical too, so before you suggest panic attack, believe me, I've carefully evaluated and listened to my mind and body during these "episodes" and I really am convinced it has nothing to do with anxiety. Anyway, has anyone else experienced anything like this? I even get chest pains and shortness of breath. i've had tests run and my EKG's show up as "abnormal for someone your age". It all started with suboxone though. It's hard to say whether it really is the cause or not but I would just like to hear from anyone out there on this. Its so bad that sometimes I dont dare drive for fear I'm going to pass out and I call an Ex-girlfrend of mine to stay on the phone with me till it passes so she can call an ambulance if I fall out (I live alone).
animalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2008, 07:30 AM   #2
OhioMike

I would go off the Suboxone right away.

OMike
OhioMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2008, 08:28 AM   #3
NancyB
Administrator

Hi animalman and welcome. How much Suboxone are you taking and for how long have you been taking it? Did you ever experience anything like that prior to the misuse of your DOC? Oftentimes when people take Suboxone, underlying issues can come to surface that were masked by full agonist opioids.

Do you take any other medications? Has a physician ruled out panic attacks?

Best wishes.
Nancy
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2008, 03:12 PM   #4
animalman

Thanks for the replies. I've been on suboxone for about 6 months, I take 12 mgs/day. I never had this happen before sub. I guess it could possibly be something else that just happened to materialize while on sub.
Unread 08-29-2008, 03:36 PM   #5
Sub-Zero

Whatever it is it sounds serious and you need to get to the bottom of it ASAP. If it is the sub then you'll need to get off of it. I've heard that methadone can cause heart arrhythmia but never heard that with bupe. I was on bupe fro 7 years 16mgs/day for most of that time. I never had any major side effects like that, but everyone is different so you can't rule out the bupe yet. Best of luck at finding out what it is and treating it if necessary.
Sub
Sub-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2008, 04:29 PM   #6
azg2b

Hi animalman,

I've been on Subutex 16mgs since April of this year and I have had some bouts of dizziness and lightheadedness....but the cardiovascular symptoms you're describing I cannot relate to I'm sorry.

I'd be worried for you to stop abruptly taking the Sub for fear of withdrawel, but you would have a couple of days before those symptoms would surface to have yourself checked out thoroughly which I think you need to do. Something is obviously not right.

Please contact a physician or your Sub doctor immediately and keep us informed!

J
azg2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2008, 04:49 PM   #7
Madison7

What instructions did the doctor give you after the EKG? See your doctor. While the internet is a great place to research and get opinions, its probably not the place you need to get your medical advice. There are many possibilities here and without a profile of your medical history, its difficult to suggest what would be the best course of action. If it is the sub causing this, then obviously your doctor would recommend a cessation of that med or at least a large dose reduction. If on the other hand, its not the sub causing this, then stopping that medication suddenly could aggravate the current condition. I think you should get your cardiac doctors to coordinate things with your sub doctor. They have your file and are privy to info we can't see. Again, I would see the doctor asap.

PS: Let us know what happens? Good luck.
PPS: I haven't had any reactions like you have described.
Madison7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2008, 05:57 PM   #8
josie

I would suggest that the next time you have one of these episodes you go to the emergency room immediately so that they can check you, do an EKG and evaluate what is happening. Documentation of what the "heart palpitations" are is crucially important.

~josie
josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2008, 07:38 PM   #9
hairgirl

It happened to me before being on Sub, and for me, it had to do with vitamin levels and dehydration.My iron was crucially low.I am not a doctor, but maybe you should have bloodwork done to check your vitamin levels.If you were on opiates before, you never know what condition they could be in.
hairgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2008, 09:22 PM   #10
joshfarc

Animal, I have never had extreme reactions like that. When I began taking 16 a day, I noticed slower breathing, and at times faster heart rate....but nothing to extreme ever. Definitely get in touch with your doctor, it's possible it's nothing major, maybe an allergic reaction, but you should definitely follow through with it.
joshfarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2008, 09:34 PM   #11
kitty77

sounds just like me when I was anemic & hypoglycemic(sp?!) it got to the point where I'd stand up, & get so dizzy, my vision would start to go. Almost passing out. Other times shakey,& some similar things u mentioned. How are your eating habits? If u r not getting enuff of the right foods/vitamins, your body can mess with u. I'd talk 2 ur dr anyway.
kitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2008, 11:35 PM   #12
gotitang

You say you call your EX-girlfriend to get you through? I'm just an objective by stander asking because you printed it??? Is your EX and EX because you chose that or are you creating physical problems to gain her attention... Please don't get offended by this comment I'm just asking? It has been my experience that being sick was a great way to get my needs met...so to speak...I didn't even know I was doing that! Till I worked the steps...Then all sorts of ugly character defects came to the surfice...
gotitang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2008, 11:36 PM   #13
gotitang

PS guys I know i'm gonna catch shit for that one! ooops
Unread 08-30-2008, 12:50 AM   #14
azg2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotitang View Post
PS guys I know i'm gonna catch shit for that one! ooops
I'm not trying to give ya s**t about your post gotitang. I don't completely disagree with what you said.

I just think it's a bit off-topic know what I mean?

respectfully,

j
azg2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2008, 10:52 PM   #15
ironman

Smile Lower dose ?

Yeah, I've had similar. I'll tell you that reducing my dose helped greatly but I still have some side effects.Yesterday I felt as you described - first time though in quite awhile. I'm down to 6mg daily - sometimes 8mg if I feel the need. I often wondered if it was the nalox. added. Doc gave me an Rx for the Subutex - no difference. I was very scared yesterday - grabbed the cordless phone and keep it with me. Just felt "strange" -light headed, not getting enough air etc. I debated about taking my am dose and finally decided to roll the dice. The effects, whether coincidentally or not, went away. I often get light headed, loose my coordination feel a little confused when its kicking in but that's been about it. I'm in my 50's and for the first time in my life I get swollen ankles, eye lids feel "full/droopy", unusual retention of fluid I think - often don't urinate for a longer span of time than was typical for me - and then when I do "go" man, look out ! Now, it cold be age kicking in but like you, I have a 6th sense that it is related and only started when I started on Sub (2 years almost to the day). I also get a numb/tingling feeling in the middle of my left thigh between knee and hip - exact same place every time and less often, tingling in my right arm, elbow down. I was hospitalized 1 1'2 years ago with a very extreme heart rate - they injected something IV and it went right away. they told me it was unrelated to the med. , may never happen again but there's no way to predict it - forget the name they gave it but the only way to stop it is with this IV med - no pill will work. They told me that I could first try coughing or straining (like on the toilet - yes, that's what they said !) and sometimes it halts it - if no immediate change though I have to call 911. Not trying to scare you just we sound similar. My pulse runs in the 80's now and my BP usually runs 125/65 sometimes 60. It used to be 120/80 and a 74 resting pulse. I have my suspicions with the Naloxone (sp ??? - not sure if its even the right name !). yes !!! Memory gone to hell too.Recently I found I can go all day without eating. Its like this kills hunger pangs so I have to remind myself to eat - no real loss of appetite - when its in front of me, I eat ! I'm VERY concerned/nervous because I plan on being on this stuff until I die. It has cured way more than the "cravings" and has been a miracle med. for me.Can not imagine going back to life without it ! Depression vanished for the first time in my life. S.A.D. ? GONE !!! ZERO cravings for anything - meds/booze. I don't even miss sex - although that does return in spades at a lower dose (got down to .50mg last year and WOW ! :-)
If you have insurance I'd go for a full physical if I were you. Its helpful to have all of your test results for follow up comparison. I suspect something in this compound is effecting my kidneys. Not good as diabetes can cause all these side effects including heart problems (just read an obit. of a well known local musician - "complications from COPD/diabetes). He was only 49. I have myself all freaked out now. What did the doc say about your "unusual EKG for your age" results ? The odd thing about me is that before sub if I didn't eat at certain regular times (and a lot of eating !) I would get weak, very crabby - fell like I'm going to collapse. Now it doesn't phase me at all ! Weird. Oh, and not entirely constipated, my habits have changed ! Every couple of days or so - not happy about that BUT - trade depression/cravings for it ?? You bet ! Keep in mind I'm much older than you - have abused myself a lot longer so don't let me freak you out ! I really don't think most people. once stabilized, need more than 6 to 8mgs a day. Made a huge difference in the intensity at least of the side effects I was having at your dose when I first started. The thing that odd is that I should have stayed at .50mg - I feel no more beneficial results back up at 6 - 8mg. No idea how I slid back up LOL !!!!! I KNOW I don't even have to explain that one to y'all - old habits do die hard !!
ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2008, 11:47 AM   #16
gotitang

There is a book out called you can heal your life by Louise Hay....In this book she discribes physical symtems caused by our mental thinking.... and then gives you a positive affirmation to change the way you think! Sorry j I didn't mean to be off topic...I was just putting out there a different view to maybe change the symtem...Look up this book on-line and see if anything she writes about is something that could help heal these symtems. Our thinking is definietly a contrubiting factor to how we feel phsyiscally. Change the thinking, change the symtem... again just a thought....our minds are powerful things...
Unread 09-06-2008, 03:51 AM   #17
animalman

Thanks for all the advice guys, I appreciate it. And though your question/ concern is valid gotitang, She is my ex by my choice, definately not trying to get attention from her, just the only person I can get ahold of 24/7. Anyway, I've carefully evaluated whether it could be a "mental" thing and I am posative it isn't. I mean, I guess anything is possible but realy I'm under no mental stress or anxiety other than the fear of these episodes. I'm thinking it's probably unrelated to the sub though. Possibly some other medical condition that's materialized while on sub coincidently. I've been on a heart monitor for 2 weeks and they'll have the results monday to check electrical problems. I dont know, it's just really hindering my life significantly. Weird stuff.
Unread 09-06-2008, 10:38 AM   #18
gotitang

How ya feeling animalman? Just checking in?
Unread 09-06-2008, 10:51 AM   #19
NancyB
Administrator

Hi animalman, let us know how the test results come back.

Thinking of you.
Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2008, 12:38 PM   #20
spoint1
Way Cool Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalman View Post
Thanks for all the advice guys, I appreciate it. . I've been on a heart monitor for 2 weeks and they'll have the results monday to check electrical problems. I dont know, it's just really hindering my life significantly. Weird stuff.
Hiya animalman (great name, BTW). Glad you're seeing a doc about the problem. The monitor will give them excellent information to base a diagnosis on. I too suspect it isn't related to the Suboxone, just appeared coincidentally.
As an interesting point, I was diagnosed with diabetes shortly after I got clean & sober nearly 10 years ago. I had clearly had it for at least a couple of years before diagnosis, but was able to ignore the symptoms while I was high. Perhaps your situation is similar - you didn't notice the problem while still getting high but now that you're getting a life again you are more aware.
Finally, don't panic (joke intended) if it turns out you are having a variant of panic attacks. They don't mean you're weak or weird or crazy or anything like that. It's just a misfire/ weirdo chemical issue in your brain that is correctable. I know this because I play nurse for a living - a psychiatric nurse as a matter of fact.
I'll be very curious to hear what your doc turns up.
spoint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 04:15 AM   #21
animalman

I'll let ya know when I get those results monday. Still having the off and on symptoms though. I hope I didn't royally screw something up physically after all these years of runnin' and gunnin'.