Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 04-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
Mollymax

Default Subutex for chronic pain

My husband has multiple sclerosis and uses subutex for the pain. 4-8 mg a day. I just want to make sure that he is using the meds correctly
Mollymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
theswan

I take subutex 2mg up to 5 times a day and it works well.

Each person reacts in a different way. Some need 1/2 milligram dose's others like myself require more. It seems he is right in the ballpark

Glen
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
OhioMike

The rule of thumb seems to be around 2mg, but as Glen pointed out, it will vary. I use 1 to 2mg along with other medications and only add the Sub on my bad days. On those days I will dose every 4 - 6 hours.
Unread 04-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
nan

Hello Mollymax, You have been given good information from Glen and Mike. I just wanted to emphasize that the lower doses work best for the pain. You say he takes 4 - 8 mg a day-I hope he is breaking the dose up into smaller doses every 4 - 6 hours as that has been shown to work on the pain the best.

It is so unlike any other "pain" medication in that with suboxone the small amounts work and if one would increase the dosage amount the pain would not be alleviated. Actually just the opposite of other pain meds.

I hope that the suboxone is helping your husband with his MS. So glad you found a dr who would prescribe it for him!

nan
nan is offline   Reply With Quote