Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 05-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #351
Dolo

Yeah aprilf. I'm actually in west MI, about 9-10hrs from KY, I found mine on the NAABT physician finder by explaining in the paragraph they allow you to explain your situation that I was having allergies to regular suboxone and asked if there were any Dr. willing to prescribe me 'tex if they deemed it necessary to please contact me. Several replied saying they ONLY use suboxone (why did they reply?) but this one said he was willing if 'tex was needed. He is wonderful, could'nt ask for a more compassionate, kind Dr. Good luck.
Dolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #352
Dolo

Default Found 'tex even cheaper

Unbelievable, just found a mom and pop pharmacy right next to my Dr.'s office, price $108 for 45 8mg subutex.
Dolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #353
MyWorldOfSand

$25 co pay to my Dr, no 'startup fee' or any of that bs, and as if it were a gift from the "BigGuy" upstairs, he gave Me an Rx supplement card that covers my $35 copay at the Pharmacy....so I pay $0 a month for my meds. I could kiss him full on the lips if it wasn't because It'd be pretty awkward. I know. I got LUCKY!!
MyWorldOfSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #354
bmysr

I pay $186 for a month script (42) of the 8mg/2mg here in La. and my doctor charges $300 for the first visit and $200 for each following visist...It runs me about $400 a month all together and I dont have any type of health insurance. I use the discount card from Supoxone.com every month and it helps save me $
bmysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #355
izezi

My doctor appts were covered by Medicare and Medicaid and never cost me a dime.

The co-pay for a script of 30 8mg tabs of Suboxone was $3.20US at Walgreens.
izezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #356
hopatcong1

Default need help

Post moved to new thread:

http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=27849

Last edited by hopatcong1; 07-19-2012 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: spelling
hopatcong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #357
asouth32

My doctor will not accept insurance or even work with you on payments. I have to call them a few days before my next appointment and tell them that I will be rescheduling because I cant come up with the money that week and need another week to come up with the money for the visit.
I think sometimes I could actually miss a month because I am cutting myself down but I honestly have to find somewhere cheaper to go if I plan on doing this much longer. If they would write it for two months at a time, I know its not possible but I wish that they could.
That would help me wonders, but oh well. Nancy, if you can pull a rabbit out of a hat somewhere in Central Ky and find a doctor cheaper than 280 a month point me that way or tell me how to find one LOL. I need to get out the phonebook and go to calling I guess.
asouth32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #358
NancyB
Administrator

Hi asouth32, have you seen this thread with different ways to find treatment?
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=21609

Also try dialing 211, it's a helpline provided by the United Way. This link is about it.
http://www.metrounitedway.org/comm/A...?ArticleID=143

Call hospitals with referral lines, they may know of someone who isn't listed publicly.

Suboxone is a Schedule III medication, which means the doctor can legally write up to 5 refills on the prescription. Have you spoken with him about how difficult it is pay for the visits and if he'd be willing to let you come less often?

Kentucky is one of the more difficult states in which to find affordable treatment.

I hope this helps!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 05:44 PM   #359
Snoflake

I have private insurance thru my job and I pay $92/mnth for 60; 8mg tabs. W/o insurance, I'd be lookin at close to $500 from what I hear...
Snoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #360
football50

in louisiana, I have blue cross, after my deductable was meet, I only pay 30 bucks for the visit,and i was given a 50 Dollar rebate card for the Sub. by my Doc. I pay zero for my med. In the begginning it was more difficult bc with the visit being 200 and med. at 8 dollars each, it felt like whats the diff between this and just going get pain killers, but just be patient because now i am so happy that ive started a new path
football50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #361
Clarkgrizwald

Cool $35 For 30 Day Supply of Film

Blue Choice is my plan and my company just switched to this plan starting the beginning of this year. I'm very thankful for having the insurance...I needed to get a prior authorization from the insurance company before they offered to pay for my Subs. Up until now, I haven't had to go through anything like that. My doctor and his assistant had to put a solid half days worth of work into it to make it possible. They told him he needs to try other meds with me and he said there aren't any (aren't they supposed to be knowledgeable with treatment plans, etc.) They asked for his clinical notes, what other therapies I've tried, how often I submit to a urinalysis, treatment goals....finally they approved it for nine months. I've been on Sub for four years. I'm so concerned for people on Sub and those trying to get on it. It can be very frustrating and discouraging. It should not be so difficult for insurance companies to authorize doctors to prescribe it for patients in need. They should support and encourage more people to be prescribed Subs. I understand it's expensive...I know that doesn't help at all. Before insurance, I was paying $8.65 per 8mg film. Running roughly $345.00 a month after the $45.00 off discount card.
I would certainly like to talk with others that can offer advice as to what I need to do prior to my 9 months expiring.
Thanks for listening!
Clarkgrizwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #362
manohealing

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkgrizwald View Post
Blue Choice is my plan and my company just switched to this plan starting the beginning of this year. I'm very thankful for having the insurance...I needed to get a prior authorization from the insurance company before they offered to pay for my Subs. Up until now, I haven't had to go through anything like that. My doctor and his assistant had to put a solid half days worth of work into it to make it possible. They told him he needs to try other meds with me and he said there aren't any (aren't they supposed to be knowledgeable with treatment plans, etc.) They asked for his clinical notes, what other therapies I've tried, how often I submit to a urinalysis, treatment goals....finally they approved it for nine months. I've been on Sub for four years. I'm so concerned for people on Sub and those trying to get on it. It can be very frustrating and discouraging. It should not be so difficult for insurance companies to authorize doctors to prescribe it for patients in need. They should support and encourage more people to be prescribed Subs. I understand it's expensive...I know that doesn't help at all. Before insurance, I was paying $8.65 per 8mg film. Running roughly $345.00 a month after the $45.00 off discount card.
I would certainly like to talk with others that can offer advice as to what I need to do prior to my 9 months expiring.
Thanks for listening!
I cannot offer any good advice, it does not get any better. Those that make this, prescribe this, and those that talk like it is the best thing in the world, next to addiction, those people so often fail to mention that this is middle-class to upper class solution. Those are the only people who will see this treatment, because the states wont pay, the drug company, formally a cleaning supply company, is in it for the money, hence the reason they charge so much and have been attempting to block any generic from hitting the market. This company knows it will happen some day, so they want the money now. So they seemingly say "screw those in need, let them die." Its funny, they will give three people per doctor free subs for a year, but why three per doc. Well its likely about cost. They figure those doctors bring in a lot of money, so they can afford to give the meds to three people, but only those three. This does little to help the vast amount of people this treatment is unattainable for.

So I feel you, I need to be on this, I have been trying, but there are walls in the way. The first doctor I went to wouldn't even let me attempt to pay out of pocket. He would not even risk allowing someone to get over on him. This is clearly drug dealing behavior.

I know what your thinking, this guy is bitter. Yes, I am. This is not right. So many need this stuff, the company has been making billions on it. Why don't they do the right thing and offer it free for people that cannot afford it. I know it is a business, but it is also a life saving thing. Plus, should not get into health business if they are just going to be in it for the money.
manohealing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #363
NancyB
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by manohealing View Post
Why don't they do the right thing and offer it free for people that cannot afford it. I know it is a business, but it is also a life saving thing. Plus, should not get into health business if they are just going to be in it for the money.
Hi manohealing, I do just want to remind people that the company does give a year of free meds to 3 patients of each doctor who prescribes Suboxone.

Unfortunately, you've had bad luck in finding an affordable doctor and you got misled by that insurance agent.

Did you see this site? Are there doctors listed on it who you haven't called yet?
http://www.buprenorphine-doctors.com...rs/Iowa-IA.cfm

Did you call Suboxone directly also?
https://suboxone.com/patients/opioid..._a_doctor.aspx
Let us help you make your first appointment: 866-973-4373

Also, do you belong to a church? There have been people who got help for appointments and medication from their church until they could get back on their feet.

I know you're going to school, are you also working while in school?

Maybe you'll have to try something like naltrexone and peer support groups and therapy for now until you can find a less expensive doctor who can get you on the free med program. Naltrexone is a generic, so it may not be that costly per month. Look into your college and see what they offer for counseling. Many colleges have free counseling for students. Or if there's a school of medicine at your college, maybe they have free counseling in the psychiatric department.

Just a couple of other options to look at.

Hopefully, something will work soon.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #364
manohealing

Yea, I've called the one doctor in my area, the other on retired. The only other two are hours away, one I could get too, but he is the one that wants so much money, thousands just to start, and that does not include the cost of medication. The other wants me to drive three hours everyday, but I cannot do that. I am a student. I do not have my own car.

I do have a church, and they have a pretty good drug recovery program, but they are against any kind of drug maintenance therapy. I am working why I am in school, but that barely covers my cost of school, and my living price. Naltrexone has already been tried. There is a reason suboxone works. I've done methadone, and tried cold turkey. I even made it once for almost a year, but then quickly went down the drains. Ive stop about four times since I first started.

The only thing that has ever kept me from going back to the oxy cottins or heroin is the subs. They just work. I wish to god it was not true, because my experience with trying to get on needed medication has been horrible.

My plan right now is to use until I get out of school, likely to be another two years. If something happens, then good, but I have no hope. If a generic comes out, that would be great. But that is only half the issue.

One big problem is that the doctors that do this kind of thing seem to know they get paid, and the drug company is doing all it can to keep cost up.

I am so bitter at this. I cannot believe I waited so long, saved so much, then got so screwed. I am not alone though, all over the internet I am finding people that have the same issue. It is unbelievable.
Unread 02-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #365
vilano07

Default greedy dr in florida

hi, i live in new mexico and the monthly visit is 50 dollars and 15 8mg tabs is 60 dollars for my monthly script.

i am in port st lucie florida for the winter and to work and the 1st visit was 149 dollars and have to come back every week because the dr only writes enough for a week. the regular visits are 79 dollars per week. i switched to the 8mg films to taper further and the cost of eack film is 11.45.

there is always 6-7 common looking working class patients in the waiting room all day long.
tell me this dr doesnt make a killing but he's doing such a great service to the community by watching so closeley his patients and not giving them too much at one time.

there are some sorry people sharing this life but i will start shopping for other dr. soon as for one who could stand to be in the presence of someone like that old greedy man. goodbye dr.Al_____ of lexington plaza. from 110 a month to 475. thanks,
enjoy your wealth dr.
vilano07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #366
manohealing

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilano07 View Post
hi, i live in new mexico and the monthly visit is 50 dollars and 15 8mg tabs is 60 dollars for my monthly script.

i am in port st lucie florida for the winter and to work and the 1st visit was 149 dollars and have to come back every week because the dr only writes enough for a week. the regular visits are 79 dollars per week. i switched to the 8mg films to taper further and the cost of eack film is 11.45.

there is always 6-7 common looking working class patients in the waiting room all day long.
tell me this dr doesnt make a killing but he's doing such a great service to the community by watching so closeley his patients and not giving them too much at one time.

there are some sorry people sharing this life but i will start shopping for other dr. soon as for one who could stand to be in the presence of someone like that old greedy man. goodbye dr.Al_____ of lexington plaza. from 110 a month to 475. thanks,
enjoy your wealth dr.
OMG, this is another typical story about how these doctors take advantage of the addicts. There is no reason he needs to see you every week. Mine does it for the first month, but then goes to two weeks, then month at a time. I will find a new one once I have insurance. These doctors are something else. Its all about that money.
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:00 AM   #367
asouth32

Yeah I hate it too, my doc has been scared by the RB dudes. When he told me that "THEY" wont let him write subutex unless you are pregnant or are having really bad side effects from it, I knew something was up. Its insane how much these places charge and basically can get away with murder because they have the lawyers to back them up.
My doctor is a nice guy and is friendly, Im afraid if I change again to find someone that writes Subutex I might find a DUD. Im gonna stay where I am at, see if I can find some insurance or discounts somewhere to help on med costs.
Unread 02-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #368
manohealing

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by asouth32 View Post
Yeah I hate it too, my doc has been scared by the RB dudes. When he told me that "THEY" wont let him write subutex unless you are pregnant or are having really bad side effects from it, I knew something was up. Its insane how much these places charge and basically can get away with murder because they have the lawyers to back them up.
My doctor is a nice guy and is friendly, Im afraid if I change again to find someone that writes Subutex I might find a DUD. Im gonna stay where I am at, see if I can find some insurance or discounts somewhere to help on med costs.
Asouth32, that's likely not a bad idea. The silver lining here is if you are like me, and struggling, and I do not know if you are, then soon the federal government will be insuring us all. I am pushing my states governor to expand medicaid, because it will end up with me paying very little for the cost of this treatment. Until then, I do what I can. I am glad to have this treatment though, however, I am also glad to see professional journalist, to which I will be one some day, take on this company.
Unread 02-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #369
OhioMike

Quote:

Who are the "RB DUDES"??
Thank You (02-06-2013)
Unread 02-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #370
asouth32

I cant spell the company's name, but the company that makes the Suboxone...RB. I mean I dont know if the DEA is telling them no and that is who he means when he says "THEY" but I am guessing that the RB dudes are the "THEY" that he is speaking of when he says that. I mean there are people on the forums that gets Subutex, so it cant be illegal in some states and legal in some can it? I mean Nancy and others have shown us the laws and rules about it, so Im guessing that someone on the inside is telling them no they cant prescribe it. I just cant take a chance trying to find a doctor that writes it and wind up with a shitty doctor.
We figured it up the day that I was in there for my first visit because it was kinda packed. In the time that I was in there, my doctor or well the office made 3 grand just off the patients that were in there. I was in there a total of a hour.They make more than some strippers that I know in bigger cities.(Friends of family,no I was never a stripper)
Unread 02-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #371
asouth32

Quote:
Asouth32, that's likely not a bad idea. The silver lining here is if you are like me, and struggling, and I do not know if you are, then soon the federal government will be insuring us all. I am pushing my states governor to expand medicaid, because it will end up with me paying very little for the cost of this treatment. Until then, I do what I can. I am glad to have this treatment though, however, I am also glad to see professional journalist, to which I will be one some day, take on this company.
I was struggling really bad at one point and I mean to the point that I was juggling the light bill and the doctor visit. Thankfully at that time, I had Here to Help program going to pay for the meds. Thing is, my husband drawed at that time 344 a month. I am not exaggerating or lying in anyway. You would NOT believe how I stretched that money with a 280 dollar doctor visit. I sold our computer speakers, old college software that I had (BTW if you have an old copy of Photoshop, it sells for over 300-400 depending on the suite package), I sold old purses that I had. One month alone I made 600 bucks extra just selling junk around the house. Oh I tell ya it crossed my mind to sell strips, but I knew it wasnt right. But answer me this, when you are having the hardest trouble in the world finding work, needing to get to the doc to get medicine, praying and begging the light company not to shut off the lights you begin to wonder about things like that. Thankfully, I never did it. There is a guy out the road from us that is popping Lortab's and was begging for me to sell him a few of mine, they were beating my door down and calling everyday. I finally had to just get hateful and tell them if he is eating that many and you guys are buying them, then go to the Sub clinic. His wife give me this excuse that between the pills and going to the clinic they wouldnt be able to make ends meet, but she didnt realize that she could drop the price of him buying pills off that. Oh well, had to stop fooling with that bunch they were aggravating us on a daily basis. Apparently from what Mom told me, he is still eating them like I eat Pez candy.
Unread 02-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #372
OhioMike

Quote:
I cant spell the company's name, but the company that makes the Suboxone...RB. I mean I dont know if the DEA is telling them no and that is who he means when he says "THEY" but I am guessing that the RB dudes are the "THEY" that he is speaking of when he says that. I mean there are people on the forums that gets Subutex, so it cant be illegal in some states and legal in some can it? I mean Nancy and others have shown us the laws and rules about it, so Im guessing that someone on the inside is telling them no they cant prescribe it. I just cant take a chance trying to find a doctor that writes it and wind up with a shitty doctor.
We figured it up the day that I was in there for my first visit because it was kinda packed. In the time that I was in there, my doctor or well the office made 3 grand just off the patients that were in there. I was in there a total of a hour.They make more than some strippers that I know in bigger cities.(Friends of family,no I was never a stripper)

I dont think the drug company has the ability to regulate or pressure the doctors in this fashion to effect what they prescribe.

However, government regulation, documentation requirements and so on does. As it does with many medications and other products.

If it is the drug company I would be very interested in learning more, if your doctor would share that with you. Thanks.
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #373
manohealing

Quote:
Quote:
I was struggling really bad at one point and I mean to the point that I was juggling the light bill and the doctor visit. Thankfully at that time, I had Here to Help program going to pay for the meds. Thing is, my husband drawed at that time 344 a month. I am not exaggerating or lying in anyway. You would NOT believe how I stretched that money with a 280 dollar doctor visit. I sold our computer speakers, old college software that I had (BTW if you have an old copy of Photoshop, it sells for over 300-400 depending on the suite package), I sold old purses that I had. One month alone I made 600 bucks extra just selling junk around the house. Oh I tell ya it crossed my mind to sell strips, but I knew it wasnt right. But answer me this, when you are having the hardest trouble in the world finding work, needing to get to the doc to get medicine, praying and begging the light company not to shut off the lights you begin to wonder about things like that. Thankfully, I never did it. There is a guy out the road from us that is popping Lortab's and was begging for me to sell him a few of mine, they were beating my door down and calling everyday. I finally had to just get hateful and tell them if he is eating that many and you guys are buying them, then go to the Sub clinic. His wife give me this excuse that between the pills and going to the clinic they wouldnt be able to make ends meet, but she didnt realize that she could drop the price of him buying pills off that. Oh well, had to stop fooling with that bunch they were aggravating us on a daily basis. Apparently from what Mom told me, he is still eating them like I eat Pez candy.
Oh I believe you, it was just I didn't want to offend you by assuming you we're struggling. I was trying to word it in a way that nuanced it. I know so many addicts. I try to keep in mind they are in a bad spot and thinking things they normally wouldn't, but that's addiction. I hope I didn't offend by making an assumption. Either way, you bring valuable information here, and that matters.
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #374
manohealing

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMike View Post
Quote:

I dont think the drug company has the ability to regulate or pressure the doctors in this fashion to effect what they prescribe.

However, government regulation, documentation requirements and so on does. As it does with many medications and other products.

If it is the drug company I would be very interested in learning more, if your doctor would share that with you. Thanks.
Oh, they have the power. They understand that they are doctors, whose going to believe a addict. RB can just say that they heard that regulators are trying to crack down on the subutex prescribers.
Really all they have to do is insinuate that the subutex are dangerous. The same way they did with the tabs, which they sold for years. According to them those ones only became dangerous when suddenly the patent ran out. Bloomberg has a wonderful investigation into this English company's practices. Even the 50 off co-pay is a push to keep people from going to generic since if they have insurance the person pays nothing or little. I appreciate it, but I'm no fool. This company has admitted it's plan has been to keep people on theirs and to block all generics from seeming valid. The smart doctors realize that this company is feeding them bull, but some are frightened by hyperbolic announcements.
Unread 02-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #375
NancyB
Administrator

Quote:
Oh, they have the power. They understand that they are doctors, whose going to believe a addict. RB can just say that they heard that regulators are trying to crack down on the subutex prescribers.
Really all they have to do is insinuate that the subutex are dangerous. The same way they did with the tabs, which they sold for years. According to them those ones only became dangerous when suddenly the patent ran out. Bloomberg has a wonderful investigation into this English company's practices. Even the 50 off co-pay is a push to keep people from going to generic since if they have insurance the person pays nothing or little. I appreciate it, but I'm no fool. This company has admitted it's plan has been to keep people on theirs and to block all generics from seeming valid. The smart doctors realize that this company is feeding them bull, but some are frightened by hyperbolic announcements.
Hi manohealing, I have heard of some RB sales reps telling doctors that if they prescribe -tex the DEA will be all over them. I spoke with someone at one of those doctors' offices; and after explaining that it wasn't true, they prescribe generic -tex now. The onus should be on the doctor to do some research, and not to believe a sales rep's claims. (Do you believe everything a car salesperson says? lol) But to say that it is the company telling the reps to do that is pure speculation. Maybe some reps are doing it to increase commissions. Just another take on it.

RB is a company, of course they want to make money. They probably have coupons in the paper for money off of Frank's Red Hot Sauce, Mucinex and Lysol products. So why not have a coupon off of the film. They are trying to get patients to purchase their product.

That said, these recent transparent efforts (especially the pediatric exposure one for the tablets) is NOT stopping a generic Suboxone. The orphan marketing status for Suboxone and Subutex ran out on October 8, 2009. Generic -tex was thankfully approved the next day. To date, there still isn't a generic -one because it's more costly for the generic companies to produce the correct bupe/naloxone formulation - maybe the generic companies don't want to spend the money on it - it has nothing to do with RB getting in their way.

Also, it has not stopped three companies from going through the very expensive and extensive process of FDA approval of three more bupe products. I will post those products again.

Orexo - Zubsolv - a sublingual bupe/naloxone tablet
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=28006
"Zubsolv has been submitted and has been accepted for review by the FDA, with approval projected for July 2013 and the US launch being planned for September 2013."

Titan Pharmaceuticals - Probuphine - 6-month subcutaneous implant
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=18728
"Based upon the Prescription Drug User Fee Act (PDUFA), the FDA has set a target date of April 30, 2013 for FDA action on the NDA."

BDSI - BEMA Buprenorphine - a film that goes on the inside of the cheek - clinical trials were done for both opioid addiction and pain management
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=26952
"BNX remains on track for mid-year NDA submission"

(NDA = New Drug Application, which is part of the lengthy and costly FDA approval process)

I think some of the many things that RB had to go through to get Suboxone and Subutex approved here in the states should be pointed out.

- Very lengthy and very expensive clinical trials.

- The reformulation to add in the naloxone because the government would not have approved Subutex here - even though it had been used in Europe for years for treating opioid addiction. It was the government that 'suggested' that only pregnant women should be prescribed -tex.

- Recruiting doctors to become certified - because the government decided that doctors would have to go through a course to prescribe -one/-tex even though doctors (and some PAs and APRNs) could prescribe any full agonist.

- The arbitrary government restrictions on the amount of patients that doctors could treat after they became certified.

I think a lot of people forget that for the first 3 years a doctor could only treat 30 patients, period. If that doctor were in a group practice or hospital, the practice could only treat 30 patients - for example, if there was an addiction clinic and there were 10 certified doctors in that clinic, only 30 patients TOTAL could be treated with Suboxone/Subutex.

In December, 2006, the limit for all doctors was raised to 100 AFTER being certified for a year. That's where the limit still stands.

- The patent for buprenorphine itself was up in the 1980s. It took a foreign company to take on the expense and risk for a U.S. product that no doctors could legally prescribe at that time. DATA 2000 wasn't even a law when RB started all the clinical trials - they didn't even know if they were going to be able to market this product that they had expended over $100 million on.

I'm in no way defending RB for some of their practices (especially the transparent ones where they blamed diversion on stopping production of -tex and pediatric exposure for stopping the -one tablets - those are ridiculous excuses) but I also think that credit should be given to them. If they didn't bother to go through all of that to get Suboxone approved and on the market, we wouldn't be here talking about it. And I personally know some people who likely wouldn't be here alive today.

Just some food for thought.

Nancy
4 Users Say Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (02-07-2013), Thank You (02-07-2013), Thank You (02-07-2013), Thank You (02-07-2013)
Unread 02-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #376
asouth32

They might not have the authority but like Nancy said, they do threaten or basically drop hints that if they dont prescribe Suboxone over Subutex, they will have DEA all over them. I have been doing some Internet research about Suboxone and the company that makes it and people are not happy about this company and basically how they treat the doctors and pharmacies because of this other cheaper drug Subutex. I am glad however that they are coming out with alternatives even though its a extensive and expensive process.
It shows that there are people out in the world that will not succumb to the big corporation's threats. I do think that RB is a good company for providing the drug that has helped so many of us, and I think we should all be thankful for that. However, there is no reasoning behind keeping a generic off the market for the lower income people.
Manohealing, I know you didnt mean for it to come off like you thought we hadnt had troubles. I was just explaining myself a little bit.
I know how it feels to be broke, lord knows that I do. Money is the biggest evil of the world. Think back to times when there wasnt those huge corporations trying to fatten their bottom line, the world was alot better off. Its not my sole thought on my brain trying to bring the man down, but I think some of us should think about it when we vote for certain legislators that support things like this.
I do agree that if Suboxone wasnt on the market, there would be quite a few of us that wouldnt have made it without it. We might have turned to Methadone, but to me that drug is just as harmful as the opiates that we all took to get us to the spot we are in now. It might not be that harmful, but I am entitled to my opinion. I had thought about going to it for a month or so, but when I sat back and thought of the consequences that could occur I suffered through what I was going through knowing eventually I would get back on Suboxone.
USA has some of the most messed up laws and rules,companies, corporations, and people in general. That does not go without saying however that other countries dont have that as well. But in other countries they look at insurance and treatment as being a necessity not a luxury that you should have to pay for. Everyone in the world should be entitled to insurance, the option of going for treatment if they need it, but due to these people in our country those options are limited because of cost.
I have been trying to find out the costs of Suboxone treatment in Canada, scripts and all because I hear that medicine is basically half as cheap there as it is here. I know that some people might not agree with everything the man says, but if you know who Michael Moore is he has a documentary about the health industry and different countries health care programs. The one which I speak of is called, Sicko. Watch it, and make sure to hold your jaw while you watch it, because its sickening just how this is supposed to be the best place to live, but more people die here due to insurance companies not paying what they are supposed to or people not being able to afford health insurance for diseases than any other big country in the world.
That all being said, we can gripe and bitch about it until we are blue in the face. Until we begin to stand up together and do something about it, nothing and I mean NOTHING will ever change. It takes the faces of many to change the thoughts of one. I heard my doctor say something on a visit that sounded strange to me and I though that I would post it here because when he said, "THEY" I got to thinking as powerful as some doctors claim to be, there is always someone else that tries to be more powerful and be more scary just to keep their pockets fat.
The best thing that I can tell any of you to do is like I said, when it comes time to vote, do your homework before you vote and see who is wanting to push what laws about health care and pharmaceutical companies before you vote. That is one place to start maybe knocking down some of the barriers between the poor and the medicine that they long to have to make them better. Its not just with Addiction patients, its with everyone that has major diseases. Cancer, Aids, all have expensive medicine and they do this because if they cure you they make no more money, they keep the medicine high costs and hook people so they keep on getting richer and richer.
Its a sad world, and people die from this but once people stand together to change it maybe something will be done.
Im not trying to offend but just speak my opinions. Thanks guys.
Unread 02-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #377
Clarkgrizwald

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMike View Post
Who are the "RB DUDES"??
Funny asouth32....RB Dudes! ha....Reckitt Benckiser. Funny name and you're right asouth32, it is interestingly spelled.
Thanks for the chuckle.
Unread 02-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #378
Clarkgrizwald

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyB View Post
The onus should be on the doctor to do some research, and not to believe a sales rep's claims. (Do you believe everything a car salesperson says? lol) But to say that it is the company telling the reps to do that is pure speculation. Maybe some reps are doing it to increase commissions. Just another take on it.

Nancy
I believe you are completely correct Nancy, I've known sales reps that will do what ever it takes to increase their commission...both immoral and unethical practices. Of course they are!
Unread 02-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #379
OhioMike

Thanks Nancy. That seems on par with what doctors here have shared.
Unread 02-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #380
asouth32

Regardless,its not right for them to treat people this way. EVERY person that is struggling with addiction should have the option to get better, there is no excuse. Im not going to go on some big long drama filled post, just my two cents.
Unread 03-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #381
julie48

Default Google suboxine coupons

Google suboxone coupons. Tons of savings. Good luck.
julie48 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to julie48 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-20-2013), Thank You (03-17-2015)
Unread 01-14-2015, 08:07 PM   #382
laman78

If you can afford insurance most of them will pay for it but it does require a pre-authorization. The pharmacy will say its not covered until the PA is done through your doctor and insurance company.
laman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2015, 04:48 PM   #383
smgaspard

Dr. Visit is not covered by insurance. Office visit is $300. Medication is $55 when insurance covers it. Been over a week trying to get a PA request and still asking for more information from my Dr. I will be completely out of medication tomorrow and they want more info. I dont think its unreasonable they cover my prescription without putting me through the ringer.
smgaspard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2015, 01:20 AM   #384
SweetAmbie

Question Treatment is very expensive

My doctor visit is 250 cash each visit, right now I am going every two weeks. I couldn't believe how expensive it was to buy the suboxen strips, it was a little over 60 dollars for 6 strips! (thats only 3 days of medication) Thankfully my insurance was able to cover most of my prescription after the 6 were gone, and my doctor switched me to the generic pill form. Also my doctor saids that I failed a drug test, I know that I haven't taken anything since being prescribed suboxen, I guess since I had been taking drugs for so long that even after two weeks it was still in my system, he told me he believed me when I expressed to him that I was no longer taking that stuff, but he said that he would have to have me come back every two weeks otherwise he could get in trouble.. In trouble by who? I dont know.
SweetAmbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2015, 12:32 AM   #385
mwcolts1

Default Switching from subutex to suboxone

I have been on subutex for awhile now and I pay $170 for my office visit and $200 for 60 subutex. My doctors office is now wanting to switch everyone to suboxone, which I'm fine with, except for the fact that 60 suboxone's cost almost $500 as I don't have insurance. Any suggestions on how to get my medication for less than $500, which I cannot afford!
mwcolts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2015, 07:40 PM   #386
morphing

Click the link in the message above:
"15 ways to save money on buprenorphine treatment - updated 10/2014 - click here"
morphing is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to morphing For This Useful Post:
Thank You (07-06-2015)
Unread 07-07-2015, 12:59 AM   #387
mwcolts1

Default choices

What do you know about the 3 medications below? My doc has to switch me off subutex and I'm trying to see what is most comparable to it?

Suboxone
Zubsolv
Bunavail
mwcolts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2015, 06:09 AM   #388
NancyB
Administrator

Hi mwcolts, all three of those medications have the same ingredients. The active ingredient is buprenorphine with the addition of naloxone. The naloxone is considered clinically insignificant since it's not very well absorbed sublingually or in the GI tract. It's there to deter IV injection of the medication.

Subutex is just buprenorphine without the naloxone.

Suboxone: a film you put under your tongue.
Zubsolv: a tablet you put under your tongue.
Bunavail: a film you put on the inside of your cheek.

Here are links to the manufacturer's free med and discount programs.
Suboxone free meds: http://www.needymeds.org/drug_list.t...&name=Suboxone
Suboxone discount card: http://www.suboxone.com/treatment-pl...-card?cid=subx

Zubsolv free meds: http://www.needymeds.org/brand-drug/name/Zubsolv
Zubsolv discount card: https://www.zubsolv.com/zubsolv/patient-savings/

Bunavail free meds: I couldn't find a free med program.
Bunavail discount card: https://webrebate.trialcard.com/coupon/bunavailportal/

Talk with your doctor to see if s/he can help you get free meds from either Suboxone or Zubsolv.

Hope that helps.

Nancy
Unread 02-02-2017, 05:36 PM   #389
NewYorkAddict

Red face

I pay $3 for my script every month. My doctor visits are free because it's part of an outpatient facility. Before I was going here I was paying $100 a month for my doctor who is my internist or primary doctor. I'm lucky because a couple of my doctors are able to prescribe the suboxone
NewYorkAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2017, 11:02 AM   #390
dougiequick

Default $30 per visit $80 for 30 generic bup sublingual

My insurance is at it's all time worst. Now the copay for doc visit is $30 (used to be from free to $10 in later years) and now for some crummy reason my insurance refuses to pay for the generic Bup? I feel lucky to pay only $80 per month for 30 8mg tablets because other pharmacies wanted to charge over double that!

But where do insurance companies get off simply saying to no to one drug where they DID pay for the one it replaced? Makes me angry but I don't know howto fight it...it is like talking to a wall! What is if because it is not fda approved for pain where methadone IS ??? The only thing I can think of...

The only good thing is that lately my doctor is only making come in every two months instead of every month ...so that saves a little bit money and aggravation ...I hate being treated like a criminal though...I have to give a urine sample EVERY time which is SO DUMB because all they are checking for is to make sure there is BUP in my pee ...as if THAT would ever prove that meds were not diverted? Like someone could not take a teensy amount the night before a pee test? Or for all know they could just drop a teensy bit in their cup even? Not that I would EVER EVER sell my precious narcotics EVER....but I'm just saying it seems like a stupid harassment with no well thought out reason other than to stop the dumber than dumb from getting caught diverting?
dougiequick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2017, 04:35 PM   #391
NancyB
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougiequick View Post
My insurance is at it's all time worst. Now the copay for doc visit is $30 (used to be from free to $10 in later years) and now for some crummy reason my insurance refuses to pay for the generic Bup? I feel lucky to pay only $80 per month for 30 8mg tablets because other pharmacies wanted to charge over double that!

But where do insurance companies get off simply saying to no to one drug where they DID pay for the one it replaced? Makes me angry but I don't know howto fight it...it is like talking to a wall! What is if because it is not fda approved for pain where methadone IS ??? The only thing I can think of...

The only good thing is that lately my doctor is only making come in every two months instead of every month ...so that saves a little bit money and aggravation ...I hate being treated like a criminal though...I have to give a urine sample EVERY time which is SO DUMB because all they are checking for is to make sure there is BUP in my pee ...as if THAT would ever prove that meds were not diverted? Like someone could not take a teensy amount the night before a pee test? Or for all know they could just drop a teensy bit in their cup even? Not that I would EVER EVER sell my precious narcotics EVER....but I'm just saying it seems like a stupid harassment with no well thought out reason other than to stop the dumber than dumb from getting caught diverting?
Hi dougiequick, are you taking bupe for pain? If so, there are bupe formulations that are FDA approved for pain (not addiction). There's the BuTrans patch:
https://butrans.com/

and Belbuca:
http://www.bdsi.com/BELBUCA.aspx

Nancy
Unread 03-07-2017, 01:54 AM   #392
NewYorkAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwcolts1 View Post
What do you know about the 3 medications below? My doc has to switch me off subutex and I'm trying to see what is most comparable to it?

Suboxone
Zubsolv
Bunavail
Well I currently take Suboxone, the brand strips and that works perfectly. I get the 12mg strips from my doctor. I'm really lucky that I don't pay a copay for the doctor and only a $3 copay for the 60 strips which would cost well over $950 out of pocket. The zubzolv has the same active ingredient and so does the bunavail. The Bunavail goes inside your cheeck. Some people I know weren't crazy over it.