Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 10-04-2012, 05:16 AM   #1
benn11

Default Chronic Pain and dont know what to do

Hi,
I am currently taking 12mg of Suboxone a day, and have tried splitting it up into 2mg doses to help my Fibromyalgia and Sciatica pain. I am in my mid twenties and am very discouraged. There are lots of days at work where the aches and pain make every little task into a huge deal. I cant take NSAIDS very often due to a stomach ulcer, but I still take a great deal of over the counter stuff (tylenol, ibuprofen, naproxen). Those medicines can sometimes take a tiny tiny bit of certain pain away. I have been very depressed lately thinking about how the pain will most likely only get worse as I age. I cant help but think about what I'll be like ten years down the road. I have tried Neurontin and Lyrica and neither of them touched the pain. I have really changed my diet and am eating a lot healthier than I was, and drinking plenty of water. But I cant help but think about the future and what im going to do. Getting on Methadone was an idea I had if the pain was truly unbearable, but at the same time wanting to stay addiction free. I really dont want to go to a clinic every morning, and am starting to wonder if a doctor could prescribe it. I know I shouldnt be looking so far ahead in the future, but whenever I have a really bad day of pain I cant help it. And over the past year Ive noticed the pain has gotten progressively worse. Today I could hardly do my job, on top of which im going back to school so its been really stressful. All I can think about is how an opiate could take away all of this pain. I know it can always be worse, and im truly trying to focus on the positive things in life, but on top of the physical pain, there is an abundance of emotional and psychological pain; as I deal with multiple mental disorders as well. Any advice or comment would be most appreciated.
benn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi benn11, what are your doctors saying about the pain? Is there anything they haven't tried or can do?

Have you tried Cymbalta? It's supposed to help with Fibro. Here's the website:
http://www.cymbalta.com/Pages/index.aspx

Also, Kordris posted this about a supplement that has helped his pain:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=28000

Sorry for asking more questions than having answers.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
benn11

Hi Nancy,
Thank you for your post and links. My old doctor was a lot more proactive on doing things to help with the fibromyalgia, since he made the diagnosis. He had prescribed me tramadol (knowing I was on suboxone) and Naproxen500mg. Neither one really helped and the tramadol was next to useless. Now that I have a new job my insurance has changed, so my Sub Dr is the only one I see, and prescribes all my other meds. I have tried Cymbalta and had a terrible experience; as with every SNRI ive tried. Ive been put on muscle relaxants, Neurontin, and Lyrica. I know meds are only one of many tools and no pill will cure the pain completely (though some may argue that regarding opiates ), and have been seeing a chiropractor and working on my diet, as well as lowering the dose of certain meds and/or getting off them completely. And that is all under my dr's supervision. But I have never heard of Kordis. Do I need a prescription or can I get it over the counter? I also know I havent been as assertive about my pain as much as I need to when talking to my doctor. Since he is covering suboxone along with my other meds; both psychiatric and physical (my ulcer, heart condition), its hard to get the time to really push the topic. Though I am planning on making it first priority next time I see him. If anyone else has chronic pain and has found remedies, please share them if you can. Thanks again.
benn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi benn11, glad you're working on different things for your pain. Please do make it first priority next appointment. You hired this doctor to help you, so don't feel like you're pushing him on the topic.

Kordris is actually the member here who posted about an over-the-counter supplement that helped him. That supplement is caled Curamin. Here's his thread again talking specifically about it:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=28000

It might be worth giving a try to see if it helps. Let us know.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
theswan

Hello

I've been in pain since 1990 off and on post auto accident (low back mostly but also new hip last month and bad knee)
What helped me most as far as suboxone, was the fact that I tapered off for a year. I knew with my issues that there would be a good chance I'd return to bupe.
Well I did return and for some reason it was better then the first time I took it for pain coupled with out of control dependance (percocet) I was on 16mg over a year. I was afraid the low dose to begin again (he gave me 2mg to split 1mgXBID)
To my elation. it works well on my pain. I climbed up to a total of 8mg then 12mg this past month (will go back to 8mg as my post hip pain is mostly resolved, doc allowed me extra)
For sciatica, stretch is important and I have had luck with nerve blocks. Posture and sitting on wallets can also be a culprit.

I',m not telling yo that you must taper off and begin anew, just that that happened to work for me. My goal was to see how I was doing without buprenorphine as far as pain and mood. So maybe the brain rewires after some time off who knows?

Best of luck

Glen
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 10:20 AM   #6
Rossdal7

I have a total of 6 vertebrate fused together. The suboxone works well for my pain. I do have some stomach pains in the morning though. When I do have back pain that won't go away for any reason is usually due to inflammation.
Rossdal7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2015, 03:26 PM   #7
Sciatica

Hi! I'm new here and I hope I'm posting in the correct thread. I'm 57 and have suffered with sciatica for about four years, but it's only been identified for one. (Who knew something in my back could hurt in my knees and insteps? LOL) now I know. Finally after a year of so many things, I may have found some success. (BTW the diagnosis is spinal stenosis due to just about every lumbar spinal problem there is. DDD.) Between stretching, strengthening, chiropractic, a 20 mcg Butrans patch and perhaps one Percot a day occasionally, but most importantly a facet injection, I am feeling pretty good. So I want to stop the patch or at least lower the dosage to see how I feel without pain medication. (It's only been three weeks since the injection, I get the second tomorrow.) I took the patch off about 11 days ago, but still take about one Percot a day. (Oh, I was only on the patch for about three months, but that level of Pervot for the four years.) I didn't think I would have any withdrawal symptoms because I hadn't been on the patch that long. But I believe I am; very tired, yet difficulty sleeping, restless legs, nausea, some anxiety. Could those be withdrawal symptoms? Should I gradually reduce the strength of the Patch and if so, any suggestions on the degree on how long this would take to make these symptoms tolerable? Thanks for any suggestions.
Sciatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2015, 06:44 PM   #8
morphing

Hi,
What you're describing is classic withdrawal symptoms. Rather than stopping abruptly, you may want to speak with your doctor about a taper plan, so that the process is more comfortable.
Thanks,
Morphing
morphing is offline   Reply With Quote