Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 11-04-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
Jess372

Default Frustrated

I have been going to NA meetings for almost 3 years now. My drug of choice was percocet. I have not used percocet since June of 09. That is when I started suboxone. What makes me so angry is that every sponsor I have had has told me that I have to tell them what medications I am taking. I don't totally agree with this. I have not been allowed to celebrate clean time because I am on suboxone. I feel like I still have made progress. I could have stopped taking suboxone if I wanted to and went back to percocet but I didn't. I'm on 2mg of suboxone now and am so totally ready to come off. I'm just tired of using it as a crutch which I know at this point i am doing. Just makes me mad that they want to know what meds i'm on which i think should be between me and my dr. Is this wrong or should I be telling my sponsor everything that i am taking?
Jess372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Jess372, you do not have to tell anything about your MEDICAL treatment to anyone you choose not to. That should be between your doctor and you. Period.

Many people do not realize that addiction is behavior - the uncontrollable, compulsive behavior despite negative consequences. Taking a medication as prescribed is NOT being addicted or not 'clean' as they put it.

Is your life better since Suboxone? Have you been engaging in uncontrollable compulsive behavior despite negative consequences since Suboxone? That's all that matters. Your quality of life while taking a medication as prescribed.

Share what YOU CHOOSE to share. They are not doctors, they are not treating you medically, it really is none of their business what you are prescribed and are taking responsibly.

Your addiction is in remission and that's what matters. Congratulations!!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Say Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-17-2012), Thank You (11-05-2010), Thank You (11-20-2010)
Unread 11-04-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
MaJaBe

That makes me really angry. I am also a member of NA, and my group doesn't ask anything about any medications at all. And when they do keytags for cleantime, they say, "This is by YOUR COUNT, NOT OURS"!!!

Most of the people in my homegroup are accepting of Sub, people have been on it in the past, and picked up clean time just like anyone else, and I do the same.

I'm so sorry that you came across such an ingnorant bunch of people. I would suggest trying another meeting, or AA, maybe.
MaJaBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
toms

This kind of crap happens all the time. NA has some sort of "stance" on opiate maintenance therapy (ORT) that is outdated and based on false assumptions. Both programs (AA/NA) contain self-righteous individuals that insist on playing doctor, and dealing with them is a fact of life. Nancy was dead on, in that telling anyone about our medical stuff is a personal choice....once we do so, we live with the consequences. Your clean time is your own, and is not determined by someone else!
Thank You (07-25-2016)
Unread 11-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
MaJaBe

I agree! There ARE people in both groups that are accepting of ORT, Sub more than methadone, because we've all seen the people on methadone nodding off in meetings, which makes everyone uncomfortable, me included. But your medical business is certainly only that, YOUR business. And any sponsor who wants to play doctor or mommy is not a good sponsor, and not working their program.
I choose not to tell anyone about sub, because it is my business, but it feels good to know that some of the people in my group are accepting of it.
Best,
J
Unread 11-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #6
toms

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaJaBe View Post
I agree! There ARE people in both groups that are accepting of ORT, Sub more than methadone, because we've all seen the people on methadone nodding off in meetings, which makes everyone uncomfortable, me included.
J
Huh? I've never seen anyone nodding off while on methadone (unless they were abusing it or something else). The notion that methadone patients walk around zonked is one of the persistent myths surrounding its use.
Thank You (07-25-2016)
Unread 11-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #7
MaJaBe

I'm sure they were abusing it. If people take it correctly, then they don't seem messed up.
My point being that people come in and say they're on methadone, and are nodding off, spilling coffee, etc. just perpetuating the myth.
But it does make me uncomfortable in meetings when people are messed up on anything.
Unread 11-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #8
toms

You bet! Even in my drinking days I despised being around drunks (unless I was drunk, too).
Unread 11-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
MaJaBe

lol
Unread 11-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #10
mister

Congratulations on 3yrs. either way with or without sub its hard work . i have done both i am on sub this time i still need to remind myself its ok i still have to take 1 day at a time i choose not to share that information.
mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #11
missaimz

thanks you
missaimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2016, 07:34 AM   #12
LongTermBupLegal?wtf

hey it was 2010 when on 2 MG of subs. did u get off. or like me its 8 yrs later n still on?
LongTermBupLegal?wtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2016, 08:49 AM   #13
MattC42286

Hi jess372. Totally understand what you are saying. Take as much time as you meed! You are the only one going through your sotuation!! Take care and God bless!! Thanks! -Matt
MattC42286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2016, 08:51 AM   #14
MattC42286

Jess372! How are you doing? Havent heard from you since last post. Let us know as we all care about you!!! -Matt
MattC42286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2017, 12:13 AM   #15
LillyPad

I agree that medication should be left between a patient and their doctor. Any method that helps regain control of their lives and decreases the possibility of relapse is worth looking into. Everyone is different and has to recover in their own way.
LillyPad is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to LillyPad For This Useful Post:
Thank You (02-27-2017)