Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 08-23-2016, 12:56 PM   #1
Sam Bailey

Default Tramadols (again)

Hey Folks!

I'm near certain that I've read about Tramadols being used as a substitute "opiate" during times between the addict's drug of choice (and Sub)---and then the Tramadol being the easier of the lot to finally detox from.

Two thangs:
1. If I wasn't so lazy, I could surf around and (maybe) find this answer myself. **Alas, I am too lazy. Ha!

2, Does it even work?

Long story half-short. I know quite a lot about opiates, since I have foolishly partaken of most of them, However, Tramadol is a drug I HAVEN'T experienced. An acquaintance (from one of my meetings) asked me this question.....and I said I'd ask around,

So, here's asking.

Will Tramadol get an addict OUT of withdrawals...of Subutex? How many Trams must one take? To get out of W/Ds AND to not have a freakin seizure?

Any info appreciated.

best,

sam
Sam Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2016, 01:49 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Sam, there are people who ended up in bupe treatment because of tramadol addiction or who would use it when they couldn't get their drug of choice. So, it could be a double-edged sword trying to taper from bupe with tramadol.

Plus there is the very real fear of seizures from it. I've heard of people having seizures from tramadol in a very short amount of time, taking them as directed. It could be a crapshoot on whether or not someone seizes from them.

Here's a couple of threads that might be interesting to you:
http://addictionsurvivors.org/vbulle...ad.php?t=25593
http://addictionsurvivors.org/vbulle...ad.php?t=26302

Hope that's somewhat helpful.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2016, 01:14 PM   #3
Sam Bailey

Hey Nancy!

Thanks for the info. I was reminded by that information (again, thanx!) that Tramadol is a pretty lousy pain med AND that it is potentially exceedingly dangerous, causing seizures in some people.

I shared that info with my acquaintance and he now seems reluctant to use them. But with the man/woman in active addiction, you never know, do you?

Oh, I did notice in some other sites some very interesting testaments about what ELSE Tramadol does for people: Makes them NOT depressed. Seems that the drug has some pretty convincing evidence that this may actually help many people who have trouble with more traditional meds.

Thanks again, Nancy

sam
One User Says Thank You to Sam Bailey For This Useful Post:
Thank You (08-25-2016)
Unread 01-02-2017, 10:14 PM   #4
R. Lee

Sam, I have not seen you on the flip side. I hope you are OK & had a wonderful holiday season.

I see on the flip side you flew to Portland on the 27th & that is why you have not been around. ENJOY !!!!!!

R. Lee

Last edited by R. Lee; 01-02-2017 at 10:19 PM..
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2017, 12:49 PM   #5
Sam Bailey

Hey RLee,

You bet. I just returned from Portland (actually Seaside, on the Oregon Coast) last night. Had to battle LAX (LA's main airport) but it was definitely worth it. Had a terrific time visiting my daughter and grandkids---and didn't even SEE my bastard of an ex-son-in-law. Growl!! Ha!

Thanks for catching up with me. Yep, see you on the flip side.

best!

sam