Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 11-29-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
Kathy Edom

Red face Husband Gone to Jail Again for Meth

My husband has been in and out of jail/prison because of his addiction to Meth. He has been in residential rehab (Warm Springs) for 90 days but it didn't take long for him to catch up. Now he is back in jail again. I don't know what will happen to him because he has been on Parole and Probation. He had enough for personal use, which he wont be charged for and the parole has no hold or action against him. Probation, he has 3 violations and has a hearing on Thursday. Is there any hope you can give me as in information of other treatments that are successful. I heard about BACTOFEN but when I searched it, it was more for ADHD. And SUBOXONE but thats for opiods. Is there medication to reduce cravings and have one one counseling. We need to convince the Judge that his addiction is due to an "addictive personality" or type of disability and this is why nothing has helped. I don't think more jail time will do any good and he will be back out and only 2 days he will be back doing it. He quit Heroin cold turkey when he was young but this meth was new to him about 4 years ago and can't get a handle on it. We live in California, LA County. Anyone is urged to email me with suggestions. They will all be considered so please help me help my man. (he's 39) Thanks.

My name is Kathy. Thanks again and God Bless all of you who are in the same situation.
Kathy Edom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 07:05 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Kathy and welcome. Sorry to hear of the problems your husband is having.

Here's a link showing the clinical trials in California for different medications for methamphetamine:
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/result...ine+california
Some of the meds they're trying are modafinil (provigil - used for narcolepsy); Naltrexone (used for both alcohol dependence and opioid addiction); buproprion (anti-depressant med also used for smoking cessation); Dextroamphetamine (an amphetamine); and there are also trials with behavior modification therapy.

There's a lot of information to the right in the orange side bar that might be helpful. There's also information in the green block from the HBO "Addiction" series that should be useful too. This one especially entitled "What is Addiction?"
http://www.hbo.com/addiction/underst...addiction.html

Even though this is in the opioid section, it explains that addiction is a disease:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=12646

I hope this is helpful to start you off.

Best wishes,
Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
CarlyO

Hi Kathy,

I too am very sorry to hear about what is going. I want to write more and I will, just have to get my young one ready for sleep. I will be back, I just wanted to welcome you to the forum and let you know that you have our support.

Until then, hang in there and take care, Carly
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 10:38 PM   #4
CarlyO

Default Hi again Kathy

Dear Kathy,

Nancy already gave you some excellent info, if it were me, I would print it - take it with you , especially the new trials, general info , that link about what is addiction that Nancy posted, maybe even some stories that have been shared here, like DHF, who is a survivor from the grips of meth for many years now.
Does he have a an attorney ? Give the info to the attny.
You say he will be out in 2 days ? If this is the case - are you concerned he will go back to meth ? He needs to get help and he needs to want it more than anything in his life. Maybe the judge will mandate that he enter into a long term program.
I wish the laws would change, I pray you get an understanding judge who offers your husband the choice to go to treatment, long term, if need be. I just do not believe that the jails/prisons provide anything close to adequate, quality treatment. Addiction is a disease, it is like putting a diabetic in jail, imo.
I am sure if he has been in counseling they discussed the possibility that when he quit heroin years ago - cold turkey, he never really dealt with his addiction, so he could have been more susceptible or prone to addiction to meth. it happens. When I quit cocaine after about a year of daily misuse, I ended up just switching to opiates and other substances because I had not dealt with the underlying issues surrounding my addiction.

I am praying that the judge will be compassionate, that your husband is given the opportunity to work on his issues, so that he can survive this and praying for the both you as I am sure this is not easy for you. Do you have some kind of support ? Have you considered Al Anon ( most groups welcome and support loved ones facing any form of addiction, not just alcohol) or counseling?
Please update us when you can. Take care, Carly
Unread 12-04-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
CarlyO

Kathy You have been in my thoughts, do you have news ? Please post when you can.

Hang in there and take care, Carly
Unread 12-25-2009, 11:13 PM   #6
CarlyO

Kathy, thinking of you and your husband, please update when you have time. I pray all is well with you all. Hope you had a great holiday, take care, Carly : )
Unread 01-03-2010, 11:11 PM   #7
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Hi Kathy,

Thinking of you and your husband, sending positive thoughts your way for the new year and a new start.

Reading your post reminded me of when I asked a judge to put my addict husband in rehab instead of prison after he attacked me during a fight over a syringe...ick.

You ask if there's any hope...there's always hope. Hang on tight to it and don't let go for nothing. Sometimes the most miserable experiences evolve into incredible, unforseen blessings.

When you have a minute, please post an update on what's going on. Praying for you both....

-DHF
Dopeless Hope Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote