Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 04-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
MicheleJ

Default Film Questions

I've heard of the new film that is out now, and see that there is a $50 coupon that's good until the end of the year. It says it's good for those who have insurance, too, and if that's true, I could get them for free every month then because my co-pay is $35.00. Am I reading that correctly? I have Capital Blue Cross. Does it work with that?
I'm positive my doctor would prescribe the film if I ask him, but, before I do, I need to know more about it.
What are the major differences people are finding between the film and regular Suboxone tablets?
Are the films more difficult to store? I know I read somewhere that they can't be exposed to moisture, and a silica packs are recommended. Where could I get silica packs?
Is the film expected to replace the tablets?
What's the reason for the film? To make abusing the medication more difficult?
Are the films made by the same company who makes the tablets, RB?
I'm sure there are threads here that answers all of these questions, and more, so, if there are any links to them, that would be great, too.
Thanks. Have a great day!
Unread 04-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Michele I'll try to answer some of your questions.

The coupon here would cover your co-pay:
http://suboxone.com/patients/about_s....aspx?cid=subx

I'm not sure of your question about your insurance. If you're wondering if your insurance covers the film, you'd have to either call them or check online to see if you can find it there. If you're just talking about the co-pay, the coupon should cover it. You can check with your pharmacist to be sure though.

We haven't heard of anyone having trouble finding the film. Again, it could vary from place to place, so ask your pharmacy if they've had problems.

The film are packaged individual sealed in foil packaging. It's if you only use part of a film that you'd need the silica packs. Look online to find out where you can buy them - you can find them on ebay for example.

Not sure if the film is going to replace the tablets. The film is made by Reckitt Benckiser - the same company who makes the tablets.

Here's more about the film:
http://suboxone.com/
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=25069
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=25176

That's a start anyways.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
AbbyNormal

Michele,

You're going to love the new films. They are so much better than the tabs as far as storing and absorption.

If your insurance is covering the tablets, I can't see why they wouldn't cover the films. I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield and haven't paid a co-pay since the discount cards came out in '10. Free is a very good thing. And yes, I think they may do away with the tablets eventually. Some people hate the films and prefer the tabs. To each their own. I just went with what my doctor told me and have no regrets.

Give them a try and see for yourself. Storage is not a problem and you don't have to buy anything.

TomD

AbbyNormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
krystaalexandria

My union covers my Rx with a $25 copay. The card covers my copay and I pay $0 at the pharmacy.
krystaalexandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 02:56 AM   #5
MicheleJ

Hello,
I just received a letter in the mail from my insurance company stating that effective July 1st, my Suboxone tablets will no longer be the "brand preferred", but, instead will be the brand "non-preferred", and the strips will now be the "brand preferred". I believe that if I still choose to get regular Subs, versus the strips, my co-pay will be higher. I THINK that's what it means. I still have Capital Blue Cross.
I have my appointment with my Sub Doc. On Tuesday, so I need to decide.
I do break them up because I am working on lowering my dose, so, to confirm, does this mean I would need to purchase silica packs?
Can the strips still be broken up into four 2mg pieces, as May be done with regular Sub. Tablets?
I understand that there really arent any major differences, other than getting used to "change", which I don't care for! On June 3rd it was just three years since I've been on Sub, and my addiction has been in remission. I just hate to mess with something that is working well, but, I imagine insurance companies will just continue to change their policies in regard to this medication since it is a very much frowned upon medication. So, I better get used to it.
At least I didn't find out, ONLY WHEN I went to pick up my refill, that I needed a pre auth, wit ZERO warning, and my prescription was delayed about a week ,which happened one or two years ago.
Anyway, any input anyone has in regard to the similarities and differences between the tablets and strips, and/or anything else worth mentioning, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks! Have a great day!!
Unread 06-08-2012, 03:32 AM   #6
MicheleJ

Never mind!!!
I asked if there are still any coupons, and I see there are! That's great!
Unread 06-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Michele, here's a thread talking about cutting and storing the film:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=27619

Some people find that they absorb the film better than the pills, thus they need less of the film. Many people find that they're able to cut the film down more accurately and to smaller pieces than they could the pills.

Hope that helps.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 06-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
MicheleJ

Thanks Nancy. It sounds as if the films may actually be better than the tablets. I'm not as hesitant to try them anymore, at least, which is definitely a good thing! Especially, too, if they are able to be divided more accurately, and if less is needed.
And, don't forget the coupon. Can't beat that, either!
Unread 06-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #9
krystaalexandria

I believe the film, and also the tablets, are available in a 2mg dose. You may want to ask about getting that prescribed instead of breaking pills or cutting films. Either way, the film is easier to break into multiple doses, because you can just cut it with scissors, or fold in half and gently tear along the line. It seems more accurate for halving etc, with the films.
krystaalexandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #10
emmabean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleJ View Post
I've heard of the new film that is out now, and see that there is a $50 coupon that's good until the end of the year. It says it's good for those who have insurance, too, and if that's true, I could get them for free every month then because my co-pay is $35.00. Am I reading that correctly? I have Capital Blue Cross. Does it work with that?
I'm positive my doctor would prescribe the film if I ask him, but, before I do, I need to know more about it.
What are the major differences people are finding between the film and regular Suboxone tablets?
Are the films more difficult to store? I know I read somewhere that they can't be exposed to moisture, and a silica packs are recommended. Where could I get silica packs?
Is the film expected to replace the tablets?
What's the reason for the film? To make abusing the medication more difficult?
Are the films made by the same company who makes the tablets, RB?
I'm sure there are threads here that answers all of these questions, and more, so, if there are any links to them, that would be great, too.
Thanks. Have a great day!
Michele please don't hesitate to switch to the films. I have used both the tablets and the films and find that the films offer more convenience and descretness than the tablets do. For starters, I find that the films dissolve at a much faster rate than the tablets did. Which I find to be great since its not recomended that you speak while the medicine is dissolving. Also I find it easier to split a film in half more accurately than the tablets. I fold the film in half and then am able to use scissors to cut it properly, rather than trying to break a hard tablet. When I fill my prescription from the pharmacy they put my individually wrapped films in a little zip lock bag. I keep the bag in a bag in my purse which is far more discrete than a bottle of rattling tablets. I don't find the need for the silica packs when I store them this way. I wish I could give you some advice as far as insurance goes but I unfortunately do not have health insurance. It seems that they would still be willing to cover the films as long as you contact them before you try filling your prescription of the films. There is also a discount coupon that is available for the films. I know a girl who is able to use the coupon along with her insurance and is now able to pay next to nothing for the films. Good luck to you and your treatment
emmabean is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to emmabean For This Useful Post:
Thank You (06-12-2012)
Unread 06-13-2012, 02:16 AM   #11
gotoffmdone

Never have seen a strip. Are they put under the tongue or affixed to the cheek.

I was giving serious thought to having my Dr stop giving me 30 of the 8mg generic Subutexes, taking one per day.

Since the generics I get seem to be pretty much worthless, I think I would get as much or more out of getting only 15 brandname Suboxone tabs or strips and take 4mgs per day.

I think 4mgs of the brandname Suboxone would benefit me more than 8 of the pathetic generics I get. Cost is the reason I would go from taking an 8mg generic Subutex to taking half of an 8mg brandname Suboxone. Even then 15 Suboxones are more expensive than 30 of the generic Subutexes I get.

I pay $90 per month for 30 8mg generic Texes. A new drug store opened up recently in town at Ingles grocery. I checked on their price of 30 generic Subutexes and was quoted a cost of $211. Wow, that is a long way from my mom and pop store cost of $90.

When I told the pharmacist at Ingles that I was paying $90 for 30 of the generic Texes he said their cost from their wholesaler was more than that. Not sure how that is possible given I go to a mom and pop store and they do not exactly by Sub in bulk quantitites.

Im not sure what others pay for 30 generic Texes but I guess $90 seems pretty good, especially for a mom and pop operation. Walgreens is a little higher but not $211 worth. Problem is they may or may not have them in stock on any given day.

So, I am not sure if I am going to try the strips or the Suboxone and just take half(4mgs) of what I have been of the generic Texes(8mgs).

BTW, if anyone knows, approx how much would 15 of the strips cost and can you only get 15 at a time. I assume you could use a card. Since I have never even seen a strip much less use one, I am not sure how that card discount thing works.

Thank you
wayne

Last edited by gotoffmdone; 06-13-2012 at 02:23 AM..
gotoffmdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #12
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Wayne, you can get 15 strips if that's what the prescription is written for. Think about making some phone calls to the different pharmacies - especially the place you go now - and asking specifically how much 15 strips would cost.

Here's the link to the $50 discount card from RB:
http://suboxone.com/patients/about_s....aspx?cid=subx
You just print it out and give it to the pharmacist. It can only be used once a month.

You might be able to use the other cards in this thread also, but I guess it would depend on the individual pharmacy's policies.
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=12915

This card gives you a place to get estimated costs.
http://freedrugcard.us/

It's definitely worth looking into. Let us know what you find out.

Nancy
Unread 06-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
blake30

i just swapped to the film and i like it alot better than the pill.
blake30 is offline   Reply With Quote