Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 06-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #51
mikeCRS

Default Hello

My name is Mike and I have been in recovery for 26 months. I have been on Suboxone for over 2 years and attended traditional 12 step meetings in my area. In the beginning I really needed the support I recieved at NA and AA meetings. As time went on and I progressed in my recovery I noticed the stigma associated with medication in 12 step meetings. I began to resent the people in the meetings and eventually the meetings themselves. I did some research on NA's view on addiction medication "drug replacement" and didn't really care for what I found. In WS Bulliten #29 it says that NA members on drug replacement treatment such as methadone should not share at meetings, chair a meeting, or give a lead. This prompted me to try something new in my area. I recently started a Medication Assisted Recovery support group in my area. This is not a 12 step meeting but a support group for people on medications like Suboxone/Subutex, Methadon, Naltrexone, or Vivatrol. We meet once a week and can talk about anything that we need to, there is no rigid format that we follow. Just people that have shared similar experiences helping eachother. This has been extremely helpful for me as well as the others that attend regularly. We do not discourage people from attending ohter self-help groups. Actually we encourage everyone to use any help that is available. This is something new and a work in progress. I am looking for ideas to improve our meeting and we are open to any suggestions that anyone might have. I would appreciate any feedback that I could get on this. And I welcome anyone intrested to attend if you find yourself in Western Pennsylvania.
mikeCRS is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to mikeCRS For This Useful Post:
Thank You (08-09-2012)
Unread 06-29-2010, 11:23 AM   #52
OhioMike

Mike, I guess I'm confused as to why you shared this here. I understand your experience with NA, as I have been involved with the 12 Step programs for years. However, I would like to make a couple of observations and comments. AA has no objection officially to medicated assisted recovery. Naturally individual groups might demonstrate stigma and/or bias, but, that is not what the AA Big Book states. Many NA groups unfortunately are much less accepting.

However, let's look at exactly what Suboxone is! I suppose if one wanted to make the claim that it is "drug replacement" they could, but, that would not be exactly the case. I have nothing against any of the older recovery medications, as they do and have helped many people, but, Suboxone does not treat the patient in the same fashion. Unlike the older medication Suboxone actually fosters and lends it's self to recovery. You do not build tolerance, taken at the correct dose it produces no high and unlike the older medications Suboxone works best at the lowest effective dose and truly is a step down program.

Back to the stigma associated within the recovery community, frankly IMO that is the most damaging type of stigma there is, when we, turn away our own! It happens all over, the 12 Step groups will knock medical assisted recovery, the SMART program or Rational Recovery folks will knock the 12 step groups. Some will knock professional therapy and others will knock peer support in general.

This folder was developed to take stigma out of the equation for those who "want" to use the 12 steps or parts of the 12 steps within their recovery program. It was developed to ignore the medical treatment issue, the religion or higher power debate and so on. The goal is to help each other understand how the steps can work for everyone, if they so choose and to support all no matter what the rest of their personal recovery plan involves.

This folder was not created to support one recovery tool over another or but to help each other over come obstacles.

For myself, I feel that a productive recovery program should be one where the individual stays open minded to all recovery options, explores them, learns from them and one where the person learns to use from all, to build their own unique recovery plan, which works best for them. My recovery has involved the 12 steps, Suboxone, CR, SMART, gender group meetings, IOP, private therapy and so on.

I commend you on taking the initiative of starting meetings for medical assisted recovery people, I did local Suboxone meetings a couple of years ago. My only suggestion is, try to never limit any option. In our Suboxone groups, we had folks using all recovery methods and tools, from 12 step programs to rational recovery and a mixture thereof.

Stigma and bias sadly can be found in every corner. The best thing we can do is to resist it, especially in how we share, each and every time. As the 12 Step experience might have not been good for you, it might be the very thing which saves another's life. Identifying and sharing what didn't work for you is much needed, as that is part of your personal story, but in turn, we need to express to others that they should take the time to experience and to educate themselves on all recovery options and then build the program that works for them, not what worked for the next person.

I belong to a local Sober Club which host 20 / 12 Step meetings per week (mostly AA with some NA) and though it took a while and some effort, one of the best things we got accomplished was introducing medical science and educational programs into the mix. Naturally some didn't agree with that, but, they don't have to attend. And though they are free to express their views, they are not free to knock another form of recovery within for framework of the Clubs events! That type of stigma and bias is simply not tolerated.

Progress was slow at first and then picked up speed. Now, today medical science and the 12 Steps coexist in the largest and oldest Sober Club in the area and within the state.

So please use that as food for thought as you structure your meetings. Encourage people to experience and learn about everything and help them learn how to take what works for them and how to leave the rest, without holding ill feelings or bias. Also keep in mind, we are being treated medically and as that is part of our recovery, it is not the most important part and there is no obligation to share that. Please understand, I do not support hiding it, but, each persons situation is different. It could effect employment, community organizations and so on.

In regard to building your local group, one suggestion is to make business cards and postcard size information notices and go speak to Suboxone doctors and Pharmacies and see if they will let you place them there. That worked well for me.

If you would like to experience or learn about the steps or work the steps without the stigma, this folder is here for that and please consider attending our Monday night chats.

Mike
Unread 07-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #53
wkenned1313

Default Help

Thread moved to Welcome Room for more visibility.

Link to thread: http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=24780
wkenned1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #54
danielle

I am so sick of some of these arrogant NA nazis..... you all know them..... the ones that look at you like your using a crutch named suboxone. It has turned me off from NA and has kept me from sharing EVERYTHING.....I would love an actual LIVE meeting where the format is for people like us. We are special...and have different needs... and only other patients can relate to our unique issues
danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to danielle For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-13-2011)
Unread 09-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #55
toms

That is a common impression, but stigmas and myths are alive and well wherever we go. The important thing to remember is all that trash is spewed by individuals. You can be sure that everyone doesn't buy into it. Try different meetings, and try AA, too. No matter where you go, you will hear things that irritate you. Learning to take what you need from meetings, while ignoring the BS is a skill that takes time to develop!
Unread 09-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #56
MaJaBe

That's definitly true! I still have a hard time ignoring the bs.
MaJaBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #57
toms

I, of course, wish it were otherwise, but it is what it is. The sad thing is that AA/NA are the easiest places to take your troubles. It is unfortunate that people get turned off from comments they hear from individuals, but I know of no alternative anywhere. IME, the vast majority of members are just like me.....they're quiet individuals looking for help, and are pretty tolerant of others so long as they aren't making asses of themselves.

I think I was fortunate to hit AA first all those years ago. At the time, I considered myself a "pure" druggie, but NA was in its infancy in my area. In my case, I would have denigrated Mother Teresa or anyone/anything offering help. I had to go through major changes (!) to learn to take what I needed, while ignoring the bullshit!
Unread 09-09-2010, 11:35 AM   #58
MaJaBe

Default 60 days!

I get to pick up my 60 day keytag today!!!
MaJaBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #59
NancyB
Administrator

Congratulations Jackie30! Woo hoo!!!

Keep up the great work!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2010, 07:59 PM   #60
Chipper

Hello,
My name is Chip. I am an opiate addict who has this week begun Suboxone tx. I live with chronic pain which led me to opiates. I also live with depression which I discovered disappeared with opiate use.
I am a member of AA and had around 17 years of abstinence from alcohol and abusing drugs when I "hooked up" with opiates. It has been 5 years of use and abuse. Failed surgeries, failed marriage (partially due to opiate abuse) and feeling judged and shunned by some AA members. I also found out who my true friends are. I still have much to be grateful for and look forward to sharing with all of you.
Thanks,
Chip
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 12:52 AM   #61
willard47

Hi Chip, welcome! I hope you have the benefit of immense relief from depression that I received after a short time on suboxone. I am using it for depression , pain and a way out from a norco addiction. Now's the time to relax and let the subs do their thing while you start to work on the addiction problems that have plagued us. After the cravings and wd crap dimenishes, it's like a clean slate to start a new stage in this crazy life. Stick around, there's a lot of good stuff here. willard
willard47 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to willard47 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-26-2010), Thank You (11-13-2011)
Unread 01-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #62
missaimz

very interesting
missaimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #63
pinky007

I have been wanting to do a 12 step program for so long, im glad i have found this website.Thanks......
Unread 05-24-2011, 10:56 AM   #64
only4aday?

Post moved to it's own thread:

http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=26369
only4aday? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #65
Renee01

Red face Is there a meeting near me?

I live in Southern California (Inland Empire) and just started up on this site today. I was wondering if you know of any meetings near my neck of the woods? Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeCRS View Post
My name is Mike and I have been in recovery for 26 months. I have been on Suboxone for over 2 years and attended traditional 12 step meetings in my area. In the beginning I really needed the support I recieved at NA and AA meetings. As time went on and I progressed in my recovery I noticed the stigma associated with medication in 12 step meetings. I began to resent the people in the meetings and eventually the meetings themselves. I did some research on NA's view on addiction medication "drug replacement" and didn't really care for what I found. In WS Bulliten #29 it says that NA members on drug replacement treatment such as methadone should not share at meetings, chair a meeting, or give a lead. This prompted me to try something new in my area. I recently started a Medication Assisted Recovery support group in my area. This is not a 12 step meeting but a support group for people on medications like Suboxone/Subutex, Methadon, Naltrexone, or Vivatrol. We meet once a week and can talk about anything that we need to, there is no rigid format that we follow. Just people that have shared similar experiences helping eachother. This has been extremely helpful for me as well as the others that attend regularly. We do not discourage people from attending ohter self-help groups. Actually we encourage everyone to use any help that is available. This is something new and a work in progress. I am looking for ideas to improve our meeting and we are open to any suggestions that anyone might have. I would appreciate any feedback that I could get on this. And I welcome anyone intrested to attend if you find yourself in Western Pennsylvania.
Renee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #66
Renee01

Default New to forum

Post moved to new thread:

http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=27914
Unread 08-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #67
Renee01

Can someone please tell me what the red circle by name means? when pressed, it says, "invisible".
Unread 08-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #68
NancyB
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee01 View Post
Can someone please tell me what the red circle by name means? when pressed, it says, "invisible".
Hi Renee01, if you put the setting on 'invisible' it means that people will not know if you're viewing the forum.

If there's a green circle, it means that person is logged in, viewing the forum. If the circle is grey, they may not be logged in or they have that setting on 'invisible'

You can get to that setting by going to the User CP up under the logo. Then click on "Edit Options" which is under the Settings & Options. "Use Invisible Mode" is first to the right.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (08-12-2012)
Unread 09-13-2013, 11:43 PM   #69
stephwillsurvive

My name is stephanie and ive been on suboxone for 3 years. Started taking 3 sometimes 4 a day and now i only take 1/2 pill a day. I love my life!!
stephwillsurvive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #70
MattC42286

Stephwillsurvive how was the transformation and how was the cutdown? Just curious but so glad to hear that. Hope comes from all different places this day and age!! Congrats and hmu!!
MattC42286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 12:31 AM   #71
MattC42286

Hey stephwillsurvive thats awesome to hear. It really motivates me and probably many others. Thanks for sharing wnd good luck!!
MattC42286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2015, 08:02 PM   #72
laman78

What is steps without stigma..?
laman78 is offline   Reply With Quote