Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 06-16-2016, 11:13 AM   #1
SkeeredOfMyMind

Question Allergy to Naloxone - Cannot Find Treatment

I reside in West Virginia. I was in treatment and was originally given Suboxone and when I went back, I was swollen and had hives everywhere after 5 days and taking Benadryl. The doctor switched to Subutex. I did extremely well on it. Within a month or two, my doctor was changed over some misunderstanding and she proceeded to give me Suboxone after the other doctor in the facility stated I was allergic to Naloxone due to problems with Bunavail in the past. I went to an Urgent Care and the doctor there stated the allergy was to the Suboxone. The doctor then put me on Zubsolv, almost just like Suboxone, this time, I almost stopped breathing. The next visit, I was given Bunavail, yet another Naloxone containing medication and was told to take Benadryl with it, which I informed her I had been taking Benadryl. The last time, I thought for sure I was going to die. My heart was racing, I couldn't breathe, I was consumed with hives. The benadryl made me so tired I could not function at all. I called and told her and she said she could do a taper but it would be with a medication with Naloxone. I cannot take Naloxone. I am extremely frustrated, I cannot find a doctor here in WV to prescribe me something I can take. I am also a chronic pain patient with several back and neck injuries. Can someone please tell me how I can get help??? I find it unfair I cannot receive treatment because of an allergy.

SkeeredOfMyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2016, 07:24 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi SkeeredOfMyMind, has she said why she won't prescribe generic bupe, especially when you have documented allergic reactions to the naloxone?

Have any of the other doctors you've called said why they won't prescribe the generic?

Sorry for the questions, just want to understand more.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote