Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 04-30-2007, 02:22 AM   #51
babysteps

Joe, I'm glad you were able to speak w/your dr regarding your problem. Colace works wonders for me!! It is extremely safe to use daily. I used it almost daily during both of my pregnancies per my dr's instructions. Now that I'm on Sub, I seem to be using it every other day. It works like a charm. The water intake is very important too. I also eat lots of fruit!! That seems to help too. Hang in there!! I hope you get things straightened out soon and find some relief.
-B
babysteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 03:24 PM   #52
gypsydog

Well I'm back to where I was so to speak - - I think water is the key. I am drinking about 8 pints a day but I guess that's not enough. I get a LOT of fiber; I eat no 'whites' and primarily fruits and veggies and nuts and a little fish. Hubby is currently out of the steel cut oats and flax (he doesn't get an oil, just eats it raw?) but I'm hoping he'll pick some up today.

I'm going to keep playing with the remedy if my metamuscil fails me I'll try something from above.

Question - - does anyone know the impact of dairy products on this matter? My only vice left in life is ice cream, hubby thinks it's not a good thing with my current problem. What do y'all think?

Hang in there Joe, at least your doctor didn't rush you to the ER, you know? He's not panicky about it (like we are)!!! That's a little relief to me even.

Sometimes I forget that I'm active in a thread (anywhere) so if I just disappear that's why.

Everyone have a great day!
gd

gypsydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2007, 06:41 PM   #53
rjr

I am really having no luck at all with anything. I am drinking copious amounts of water everyday and things have not really improved. When I do have the urge, marbles and more marbles. This is only once a week. I am now going to stop eating anything except fruit and vegetables and water with Colace. If that doesn't work, I don't know what to do.

JOE
rjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2007, 04:06 AM   #54
kimh

Hey RJR, I think you should go back to your Dr. This is a diffiicult diagnosis. You need a cat scan. Make sure there is no blockedge. Please put pressure on your Dr. Thank you, Kim
kimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2007, 07:14 AM   #55
MakHit

I don't think my idea is a good one, but if I was that desperate to have a movement and things were getting serioius, I'd let myself go into withdrawal and have the poops like withdrawal style. Hey at least it would work if you seriously have to ya know ? Just an idea, don't take my advice, just what I would do.
MakHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2007, 01:04 PM   #56
Dangiz

I wonder if I was ever murdered, would the autopsy show that I had severe anal trauma. What would they all think?!

Seriously though, exercise and a decent diet work. I joined a gym and I have been better.
Dangiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2007, 01:29 PM   #57
runout1

I had the exact same problem in the beginning.
I could not even get anything out with enemas ect..
When I finaly whent to the bathroom it was marbles.
I figured out that if you go to the store and get a
centrem vitamin and take it everyday and dont worry
about using the restroom in a few days you will be
back to normal. I promise it worked for me and i thought
that I would never pOOp again, but time took its course
and everything went back to normal.
runout1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2007, 08:40 PM   #58
rocky7777

I've been on sub for 7 days now and today's been 3 since I've been able to go (not even 'marbles', lol). I never had this problem in the past so it's new to me. Yesterday I drank a gallon of water, today I'm at more than that. I ran to the store during my lunch break and bought Peri-Colace, along with some prunes (yuck!). I hope it helps though. I'm afraid to eat any more and I feel so bloated and heavy. I also bought Metamucil fiber wafers, i'll start those in the morning.
rocky7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2007, 09:45 PM   #59
josie

If this continues perhaps you should see a doctor?? Any abdominal pain? Sure wouldn't want you to have some sort of obstruction. Sometimes we are too quick to pass off any symptom as related to sub use so be careful. We may have to send out the dynamite patrol to help you out soon!!

~josie
josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2007, 11:20 AM   #60
rocky7777

Success! I took 3 Peri-Colace yesterday at 4pm, ate about 4 prunes, some watermellon, and drank tons of water. I went at around 8pm last night (to the cheers of those in the chat group), and then again this morning. Still not what I'd consider 'regular' for myself, but the peri-colace and prunes are working. Good Luck RJR, hope it gets better for you.
rocky7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2007, 01:24 AM   #61
kimh

hey Rjr, where are you and how are you buddy. Please let us know how you are and do not be embarrassed. I was admitted to the hospital once diagnosis FOS. Full of you know what . Take care, Kim
kimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2007, 03:52 PM   #62
RemissionRocks

I'm TELLING YOU! GET CLEANSEMORE by Renew life. its expensive its like 15 bucks for a bottle. But if you take that every night at bedtime, after a day or so you'll be going! Then after you've finished taking the whole bottle you will never have a problem going again! Suboxone is an opioid and can cause constipation, but because you're doing all that other stuff and still not going, theres something not working right in your digestive tract. laxatives like senokot senna s and colace just mask the problem. they do NOT treat the underlying cause. the cleansemore pills contain digestive enzymes which treat the underlying condition. I used to go to the bathroom like once every 5 days and I felt bloated all the time. Now I go every day, and It does NOT give u diarhea or anything like that. It also helps get rid of a lot of the buildup of fecal matter in your colon.
RemissionRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2007, 01:19 PM   #63
learningtree

Hi Rjr:

Many of the postings have hit it right. Try the Milk of Magnesia (at least 30cc's) with 8oz's of warm water early morning and again in the evening.

That will do it!
learningtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2007, 12:28 AM   #64
NancyB
Administrator

bump. relative to chat tonight.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2007, 02:04 AM   #65
RemissionRocks

If ANYBODY on this forum is experiencing constipation, please read the following statement!

If you are sick and tired of being constipated....if you have tried increasing your fiber intake...if you've tried milk of magnesia, if you're sick of taking laxatives that just mask the problem....

Seriously go to www.renewlife.com It is a great website that has a wide variety of products. The best one is CleanseMore. It is the BEST medication out there for constipation. It is not like colace, its not a stimulant like senna-s. You take it at bed time. You will not experience any cramps... and i know when i took fiber suppliments they just made me feel bloated and they gave me gas... i know i sound like a broken record, but cleansemore is awesome and does not have any of those side effects. please consider it! you can contact renew life at :

Where to Buy Renew Life Products

To purchase our products, please contact our customer service department to find a store near you, or select one of our preferred online Etailers by clicking on the banners below.

USA Phone : (800) 830-4778 | Canada Phone : (800) 485-0960

You can call the 1800 number and give them your zip code. they can tell you what stores near you carry their products. if there arent any near you they can help you find a place online that sells them.

Unread 06-20-2007, 09:40 PM   #66
dbethied

i called my doctor today because it has been five days since i've gone to the bathroom. he said a lot of people have this problem and he always tells thim to drink 8-10 glasses of water a day which is what we are SUPPOSED to drink anyway so that won't be a problem it can only help me and he said buy white grapes and the problem should be solved soon he said almost everyone tells him it works so i went to the store ill let u guys know!
dbethied is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2007, 01:33 AM   #67
rjr

Thanks for all of the support. I am going to try the Cleansemore route.

I will let you all know.

Thanks
Unread 06-22-2007, 01:33 AM   #68
rjr

Thanks for all of the support. I am going to try the Cleansemore route.

I will let you all know.

Thanks
Unread 06-22-2007, 02:01 AM   #69
dbethied

been drinking water and eating grapes...no luck yet. i just started yesterday so ill let you guys know how everything comes out. hahaha
Unread 06-22-2007, 02:01 AM   #70
dbethied

been drinking water and eating grapes...no luck yet. i just started yesterday so ill let you guys know how everything comes out. hahaha
Unread 06-23-2007, 02:35 AM   #71
dbethied

well tomorrow will be a week exactly without any movement. i think that is a long time for food to be going in and nothing coming out. however, i do feel like it will happen soon...i hope. i called the doctors office today cus i am getting worried and the receptionist acted like it's no big deal really. he told me to keep on eating and kind of made me feel like i was being silly and shouldn't worry unless i was having a lot of pain. how long should i wait before i get worried? i see the doctor again tuesday but i think by then it is way too long to wait.
Unread 06-23-2007, 02:35 AM   #72
dbethied

well tomorrow will be a week exactly without any movement. i think that is a long time for food to be going in and nothing coming out. however, i do feel like it will happen soon...i hope. i called the doctors office today cus i am getting worried and the receptionist acted like it's no big deal really. he told me to keep on eating and kind of made me feel like i was being silly and shouldn't worry unless i was having a lot of pain. how long should i wait before i get worried? i see the doctor again tuesday but i think by then it is way too long to wait.
Unread 06-23-2007, 04:04 AM   #73
RemissionRocks

thats bogus. before drug abuse how often did you have a BM (bowel movement)? if you had one every day or every other day like i did, then i would be extremely concerned.

im tellin ya... just go get a 99 cent enema and get it all out ASAP. ive ended up in the ER before puking up BILE because my digestive tract was all twacked out.

again, not to sound like a broken record, but try cleansemore.

RJR,

wonderful! please let everyone know what you experience. i feel like i need a few more people to back me up so that this stuff actually sounds believeable!!!

best regards,
john
Unread 06-23-2007, 04:04 AM   #74
RemissionRocks

thats bogus. before drug abuse how often did you have a BM (bowel movement)? if you had one every day or every other day like i did, then i would be extremely concerned.

im tellin ya... just go get a 99 cent enema and get it all out ASAP. ive ended up in the ER before puking up BILE because my digestive tract was all twacked out.

again, not to sound like a broken record, but try cleansemore.

RJR,

wonderful! please let everyone know what you experience. i feel like i need a few more people to back me up so that this stuff actually sounds believeable!!!

best regards,
john
Unread 06-24-2007, 04:26 PM   #75
dbethied

well...i had one of the most terrifying violent vomiting episodes i've ever had last night at about 3 a.m. it was so thick and dark i was afraid i was so constipated it was coming out the wrong end ( i know that's graphic) but true. i woke my bf up and made him go to walgreens and get an enema ( i had never used one before so was putting it off) and when he got back i used a relaxer first then was going to use the enema but after the relaxer i started going. it was a horrible experience. i called ask a nurse to see if i should go to the doctor because i felt better but the puking thing scared me. she said there's no way it could have been feces it was just where my stomach/bowels couldnt hold anything else it was digested food coming back up. anyway, when i go back to the doctor on tuesday he is definitely going to hear about it. his receptionist shouldn't be giving medical advice if he doesn't know what in the hell he's talking about. all i wanted was a prescription laxative not hydrocodone. so the point of this disgusting story is for anyone who is constipated DO NOT wait a whole week like i did even if a receptionist who think they are a doctor tells you to. you WILL regret it. go get an enema.
Unread 06-24-2007, 05:52 PM   #76
pedenter1

rjr,

While I don't have this problem - actually almost the opposite and I am on a high dose of Sub and I dose several times a day because of chronic pain - but... I have always been a big water drinker - I also drink a lot of apple juice (cause I like it) and I didn't have a problem when taking pain meds either.

However, I do have some experience by proxy in this department 'cause my father has always had a problem and my parents are now in their early 80's and well - you know everything slows down - also my moms a RN. Anyway, one thing that occured to me is that since you had such a horrible problem to begin with and when you use an enema you're only really getting the "lower" part of the bowel - it's possible you might actually have caused a blockage further "up the line" if you will. I hope the Cleansemore does it for you - but if not - you might want to get it checked out by a Dr., if you a a serious blockage somewhere in you upper or begining of the lower bowel you might need more help than just a stool softener, laxative or whatever.

But at the very least - keep drinking lots of water, I eat instant oatmeal every morning for breakfast (just my choice) and also as I said I drink a lot of fruit juice - apple juice mainly - orange juice in the AM. I have also heard (once you get things going) that a good "mild natural laxative" is to heat up orange juice and drink it as hot as you can stand it.

I'm not sure about Colace (sp) but I do know that pretty much all laxative products become habit forming only because your body gets used to using that to "help things along" - I'm pretty sure that all the "fiber" options are okay - There's a bunch on the market - Fibercon which is a pill form you take before bed with a large glass of water - (that's what my mom uses) and then there's the Metemucils which come in several different forms now I believe - stuff you mix with liquid, wafers you can eat, etc. and my fathers all time favorite if you like drinking something that tastes like a glass of water mixed with sand - LA Formula - he's been using that as long as I can remember.

I hope the Cleasemore works for you - but if not - please get checked out by a gastroenterologist for a blockage - I'm not sure how old you are - but if you close to 45 or 50 most insurance companies will pay for a colonoscopy - which is a whole 'nother discussion, but may be well worth it to see if there is a real problem.

Best of luck.

Pat
pedenter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2007, 02:14 AM   #77
dbethied

rjr,

i was wondering if anything has worked for you yet? i am having a serious problem as well to the point i was throwing up. i tried stool softeners....relaxers that u use before an enema which worked only at the point where i was puking. i tried eating tons of fruit and drinking water...the coffee in the morning. tonight i bought some milk of magnesia. i read that u had tried a ton of stuff too. any results? thanks.
Unread 06-26-2007, 02:42 PM   #78
Brett

The best cure for sub related consitpation is once a day dosing, and do not take your sub the next day until you have a bowel movement. If you keep dosing 2-3 times a day, you will need a crowbar to get the crap out.
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2007, 03:16 PM   #79
Mike

I agree with Brett, besides what you are doing, lowering your dose would be the only thing left. Well actually you could try skipping a day or every 3rd day. Regardless, I would continue with the stool softeners, they can only help.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2007, 11:12 PM   #80
dbethied

well i went to the doctor today and told him my horror story of throwing up and i had tried the dieting and stool softeners, etc. and he prescribed colace. i said well what if this doesn't work? and he said it will...it WILL work. so i took one earlier and my stomach has been churning i thought i had to go but tried with no luck. so i just took another. i assume by the churning it is working though...breaking things down. i'll let you guys know if it works. PRAY FOR ME IM SCARED!
Unread 06-27-2007, 01:18 AM   #81
rjr

OK. I have found the only thing that works for me is discontinuing SUB for 2-3 days. I now have a BM usually toward the third day. I tried the Colace thing also, but to no avail. My stomach was churning, as someone else posted, but that is all that happened. I can tolerate 2-3 days without SUB until I have a BM.

JOE
Unread 06-28-2007, 02:31 AM   #82
dbethied

i hate to be so graphic about this stuff but there's really nobody who wants to hear this or who even understands it except you guys. soo...i started colace yesterday. i still haven't had a bowel movement, but before i started it i wasn't even able to pass gas. today i have been releasing gas a lot and i was wondering if anybody else who used colace had this happen before a bowel movement? yesterday my stomach was rumbling a lot and now today this...i wonder if it is the beginning of taking effect? i keep feeling like i need to go but no success yet. so the question is for anyone who used colace did your stomach rumble and then gas followed by a bowel movement? please respond.
Unread 06-28-2007, 02:46 AM   #83
broseybrose

i had trouble until i started using a senna laxative which i have to take everyday (i really need to increase my fiber intake)... but it sounds to me like its working.if you werent passing gas and now you are, then things are moving...
broseybrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2007, 05:27 AM   #84
mastercca

I find it weird that everyone is making notice of constipation when switching from abusing an opiate to Bup so I was surprised to see this topic on the board.

It seems that when one would go from abusing an opiate (taking super high amounts) that you'd be super constipated already from all of the years, months f taking in large amounts of opiates...

That the small amount of Bup (compared to say the 30+ pills <opiate of choice> that many of us were taking before Bup) might cause constipation in "normal people" but for opiate addicts the small amounts of Bup would let most of us finally stop having to live on Mirilax.
mastercca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2007, 08:33 PM   #85
dbethied

when i was taking opiates i was constipated as well but i knew there would always be sometime when i wouldnt have anything (for about 12 hours) and when that time came i couldnt stay off the toilet even if i wanted to. so i always got cleared out. since i'm never out of sub that never happens and id like to have an option other than stopping the sub and withdrawaling to be able to use the bathroom.
Unread 07-02-2007, 02:03 AM   #86
dbethied

thank god! i finally went without having to force myself with a suppository or anything crazy. i took colace two times a day starting on tuesday, took two wednesday, took one thursday...then used a suppository cus nothing happened and i was giving up. friday i took two more colace, saturday i took two...and saturday night it happened! i thought i was going to have another sick/vomiting episode but instead i had a bowel movement and it was normal as could be. so i guess i would say the colace works..just give it time.
Unread 07-02-2007, 03:11 AM   #87
RemissionRocks

thats good...but colace is not healthy to take long term. seriously consider cleansemore.
Unread 07-26-2007, 11:32 PM   #88
NancyB
Administrator

bumped up. Relative the side effects from chat tonight.
Unread 07-27-2007, 01:28 AM   #89
Sluice7

Prune juice, Metamucil and Mineral oil(gag), works well for me. But after tonites chat, my friend the space cadet (aka, Hozz), suggested to give Cleansmore a try. Bye,,, Rattlesnake Rodney (aka, Scott)....
Sluice7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2007, 08:37 AM   #90
Santa

I have been on methadone for over 20 years. The first 12 years with no problems at all. Then (during withdrawing!!) I suddenly got severe constipation, mucus in stool and bloathed stomach all day. Lots of pain too. I was checked in the hospital (tubes up my ass and all that, no fun) and it turned out to be severe IBS.
They advised me against Sena because my bowels would get even more lazy using that for a long period which would make things worse. I tried everything else (exercise, duspatal, lots of fruits, vegetables, water, metamucil) but nothing helped. After a second hospitalcheck they gave me magnesiumtablets (500 mgs 3 times a day) and that finally helps. Just chew them three times daily and drink two glasses of water afterwards.
I still have some pain and am bloathed a lot but it certainly improved things and at least I can go to the toilet now once every two days instead of once a week.
Constipation is not always a result of opioiduse, IBS can also cause severe constipation (IBS does not always cause diarrea!!! Not everyone knows this).
I really hope things will get better for you soon!
Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2007, 06:07 PM   #91
dbethied

well as u all know i had major constipation problems in the beginning of taking sub and i had tried EVERYTHING with no luck and even after the doctor gave me colace i thought it wasn't going to work but after about a week it started working and i haven't had any problems since...that was about a month ago. i only take one a day now and some days i even forget to take it and i haven't had anymore problems in that department. i would reccomend it.
Unread 07-28-2007, 11:53 PM   #92
Jloren

NancyB - Thanks for bumping this up. Although I am still waiting for something to work. I have started on the Milk of Magnesia and Metimucil along with a greater water intake... I have also made a list of everything suggested in this thread... so I will overcome this problem before my blue eyes turn brown!!

JLoren
Jloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2007, 04:11 AM   #93
kyjobr

mine was so bad I was bleeding.....I've found that good ol prunes work like magic. I love them but haven't been able to eat them much before because of their "power" but now I am actually looking forward to it.
kyjobr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2007, 04:21 AM   #94
RemissionRocks

cleansemore cleansemore cleansemore! HELLO!
Unread 12-10-2007, 02:44 PM   #95
smiller

Try AMITIZA -- it's a brand new prescription only drug. It adds water to your stool and successfully produces a movement no problem. Your Sub Dr. should have NO prob. RXing it, as it's not controlled. A little history on me: I'm taking 16mg Bupe/per day. I have a BM once in 5 days. Stomach cramps the whole bit. It was hopeless. I took 3 ColAce 2X/day, ExLax Max Strength 2 tabs/2 times a day, and MIRALAX OTC every other day. NOTHING. I averaged 6 BM's a month. It was HELL. I went to see my wonderful SUB DR. Friday the 7th and asked him for RX. He never heard of it (prob. b/c it's so new) but had no prob giving me 60 capsules/month with one refill. I had gone the night before (12/6/07)after 5 days no BM. So I took my first pill of AMITIZA with dinner at 5:30 p.m. I had another BM by 8:30 that night. Next day I took one capsule with dinner and had BM 3 hours later. Same thing the next day. This is a MIRACLE DRUG like BUPE. e-mail me with any ??'s. Please do yourself a favor and ask for this drug it is truly amazing. AMITIZA - check it out!!!
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2007, 03:04 PM   #96
najohn

My Dr. told me to take a stool softener every day, drink lots of water. 'I' found out that by lowering my dose of bupe, 'gently', helped a lot. A laxative is so violent! When I couldn't GO, I became so nauseated, that I'd throw up! Well, I'm down to a stool softener twice a week, still drink plenty of water, (I never realized how thirsty I really am?) and my dose is lowered to 8mg/day (from 32mg/day). On lowering my dose, when I felt like I 'needed' to get high (DOC), I upped my dose a bit, then lowered again till, all was OK. I still need the stool softener, but at least I GO!

It all takes time, but it does come out alright in the long run. Lol.

John
najohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2007, 06:22 PM   #97
mikejacks

There is something that comes in a little plastic bottle, that I have taken for colonoscopies. It will work for sure, you just dont want to take too much of it or you will be on the toilet all day long. It comes in ginger flavor and a couple others. I want to say its magnesium citrate but that doesnt sound right. The most effective way I have found is to lower your dose.
mikejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2007, 09:23 PM   #98
HateBlueDemons

I didn't read this entire post but the fact he said "marbles" made me crack up! I know exactly what that's like. Again, being blunt here (close your eyes) I hate being at work dropping marbles in the pot. Very embarrasing..lol

In anycase, I've found raisen bran cereal works well for me (and it's tasty too)
HateBlueDemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #99
NancyB
Administrator

Bumped up. Relevant to chat tonight.
Unread 01-11-2008, 12:53 PM   #100
Binky

You are correct Mikejacks. Magnesium citrate is the best remedy of all. It can be bought at any vitamin store, CVS, Walmart. Mag Citrate is the stuff that you drink by the gallon full prior to any colonsoscopy procedure but you buy it in pill form. I also found there is a great herbal tea you can buy at any health food store or even the supermarket. Now don't laugh but it is called "Smooth Move." made by Traditional Medicinals. I have to say it one of the finest and easiest pooping aids I have ever had the joy to know. I now sing the praises of Smooth Move each morning and am thankful that one little tea bag can bring such happiness into my life.
Binky is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Binky For This Useful Post:
Thank You (08-03-2010)