Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 04-21-2007, 01:02 AM   #1
rjr

Default CONSTIPATION

WHAT IS THE DEAL? I know I am not the only one who is having this problem. I have tried everything. I mean EVERYTHING. I hate to have to quit using Suboxone, but I can't take this. The only way a BM occurs is with an enema. And then it is only "marbles"
Sorry for being so blunt. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
rjr is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to rjr For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-13-2013)
Unread 04-21-2007, 01:17 AM   #2
WhereSlife

I eat 4-5 prunes everyday, and drink lots of water. That has really helped me. It took took 3 days to start moving.
WhereSlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2007, 04:55 AM   #3
Edge81

rjr this is getting out of hand man, I feel bad for you... You need to get into a doctor and talk about it.
Edge81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2007, 11:49 AM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi rjr, It really is time to go to a doctor and get this taken care of. Especially if nothing is working. The changing of the diet, lots of water, sodium docusate, prunes, prune juice, all the things we talked about in chat that night. You may need something else to help you.
Nancy
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2007, 11:52 AM   #5
Sub-Zero

Your doc may tell you to lower your dose, that's what I had to do.
Sub
Sub-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2007, 12:36 PM   #6
babysteps

rjr, sorry to hear of your troubles! I too had THAT problem when i first started sub (March 13th). I talked to my sub dr and he suggested COLACE. Have you ever tried that? It is actually a stool softener not a laxative. It works wonders!! It is safe and you can take it every day if needed. I used it during both of my pregnancies and it worked wonders then too. It is an OTC med. Generic works just as well as name brand. Check it out. Good luck!!
-B
babysteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2007, 01:29 PM   #7
CheeChee

Hi rjr,

I'm with Babysteps. I use colace everyother day and sometimes daily if needed. Good luck to you and yours!

Chee Chee
CheeChee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2007, 03:06 PM   #8
paul1270

rjr, yeah thats a real problem with opiates and the suboxone also, what I take is a laxative that has the ingredient SENA in it, thats what my doc gave me for the problem that you and I had/have, I had tried a lof of stool softners and just ove the counter meds and got no relief. The SENA was given to me by a doctors script but I dont know if you can get it otc. anyway please let your doc know and see what is said by the doc. The SENNA worked real good for me because i was at my wits end and I felt like i was FULL of sh..t. ask for the laxative or stool softner that contains the SENNA and see what doc says about it, if you do get it whether it is controlled or not controlled let me know if you dont mind how everything works its way out LOL, Paul
paul1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2007, 03:12 PM   #9
Edge81

haha Paul,

Quote:
quote: "I felt like i was FULL of sh..t." and then.. "let me know if you dont mind how everything works its way out"
Classic... lol
Edge81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2007, 07:09 PM   #10
MMayer282

Rjr,

Im so sorry that things have not improved for you and your #2!!!! Seriously man, go to your doctor, tell him what is going on, and have him refer you to a gastroentrologist (sp). Im worried about you, you can do severe damage to your colon and intestines. Best of luck and report back to us!

Miranda
MMayer282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2007, 07:29 PM   #11
Denista

drink a big chug of cherry flavored milk of magnesia before bedtime-- it should work by morning....
Denista is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2007, 10:35 PM   #12
paul1270

rjr, there was another formula that older veterans used they called it brown cow or something like that. it was a mixture warm milk of magnesia combined with warm prune juice, a nurse gave it to me when i was a inpatient at the veterans hospital it worked and from what I heard all the older veterans were very familiar with this mixture.
Unread 04-21-2007, 10:39 PM   #13
paul1270

hey edge, I wasnt trying to be funny I am serious about the SENNA medication for rjr it works for me. I didnt know if you took my post serious or if it offended you of something, Paul
Unread 04-22-2007, 12:54 AM   #14
Lynn

Howdy there all. I started sub in December and constipation was a MAJOR issue to me and got on this forum and shared my frustration. My drug of choice before I came to sub was Vicodin; and i thought I had contipation with Vicodin. Holy cow!! Sub made me ridiculously constipated. I say "made" because now, 4-1/2 months later, I'm having regular BMs. Quick story. Sometime in January, I had a particularly difficult BM and had blood in the toilet. I absolutely freaked out. I equated blood ith BMs as an automatic "oh my god, I must have colon cancer or something serious" which actually was an overreaction. I work in the medical field and was trying to self diagnose. I went so far as to have a colonoscopy in March. My doc wasn't worried, but since I've got decent insurance and because of the bloody stool - to put my mind at ease, I had it done. Completely negative. No diverticulitis, polyps, nothing. That story has a good ending (pardon the pun on "ending"). Anyhow - I've found my combination of stuff that works. I eat "all bran" cereal, or mix it in with smoothies I make. I drink a little prune juice. It's not too bad. Then, I also eat prunes. Then, I take fiber tablets. Periodically, Senna S is what my doc recommended. And I have a jug of "Metamucil" powder that I add teaspoons to oatmeal, my water. Now, I don't do ALL of this every day, but I get enough fiber intake that now I'm comfortably "regular." I do not have a BM every day, but when I do - it completely relieves my system. Once I started these things, it didn't happen "overnight" but gradually. (Yes, I even used those Fleet enemas back when I was having trouble, I don't need those anymore!!!). Give it a little bit of time. I didn't think all the feedback I got (like you are here) would work, but I'm living proof.

Nancy, I'm still the "constipation queen" heh, heh!!
Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2007, 04:17 AM   #15
nursejoan

hi ,
Try a big glass of warm prune juice with a shot of milk of magnesia. it works almost every time. but it must be warmed up. follow with lots of water.
gail
nursejoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2007, 05:08 AM   #16
Sandy23

this drug is going to slow down ur digestion system. which will cause u to be constipated too since it sucks the water out with the slowing down. i take miralax i have it wirtten to me by my doc. i also about 2 times per week take around 500mg per day for 2 days out of the week take docusate sodium (the red pills). and i take the miralax 1 or 2 times depending on how i feel. if i took them every day id be pooing like in withdrawl no doubt cause i tryed it. that schedule produces good bm's. but thats me. ur diff. i also eat lots of rasins. im gonna try prunes since they have those new wraped coool prunes by that company lol. but yea thats what works for me. the docusate calcum works better for me for some reason tho. god bless hope stuff gets moving ! and ive never had to enima. well once htat was it, i hate sticking a tube up my own bum. lol god bless
Sandy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2007, 05:46 AM   #17
Lynn

FYI - it's fairly "new" but now MiraLax is now over-the-counter. It used to be by prescription only but no more. My sub doc passed that info on to me. She also told me that that other drug, Zelnorm (used to have commericals on t.v. all the time) is being or has been pulled off the market because of some side effect enough that it had to be pulled off.

Gail - just curious - is there a reason for the prune juice to be warmed up?

Unread 04-22-2007, 08:58 AM   #18
willito

Had the same problems myself. Actually went almost 2 weeks before any results,heh. But based on some info given in the chat room here once, picked up the Senna-S from Walgreens. Relief was one day later. Only took that for about a week. Since then have had no problems.
willito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2007, 03:23 PM   #19
nursejoan

lynn,
i am not sure why it just works better. we use it in the nursing home all the time when plain cold prune juice or mom does not work.
gail
Unread 04-22-2007, 08:25 PM   #20
Denista

I also heard you could take prunes and boil them till there nice and bubbly and have a pudding like consistency, then spread it over toast. Its supposed to taste good and sweet and do the trick
Denista is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2007, 09:42 PM   #21
rjr

I called my Sub doc and he told me to use Colace. He said to take 1 2x a day. It hasn't worked yet. The directions on the bottle say to take 1-2 tablets, preferrably at bedtime. How long until it works?
Unread 04-22-2007, 10:34 PM   #22
babysteps

rjr, the colace won't work "immediately". Its not a harsh laxative but rather very gentle stool softener - so it may take 12-24 hours for a movement. It has no side effects such a cramping, etc. Make sure to drink lots of fluid. That will help things get moving along as well. :-) Happy Bming! I sure hope you get some relief soon.
-B
babysteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2007, 12:59 AM   #23
RemissionRocks

if none of this stuff works.... i suggest you go to gnc or your local health food store... look for Cleanse More by renew life. it has worked miracles for me. i took it for one month. it was 15 bucks. now i go just fine....and trust me, nothing worked for me.
RemissionRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to RemissionRocks For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-09-2012)
Unread 04-23-2007, 01:52 AM   #24
nursejoan

rjr,
you can take some thing called peri- colace. it is stronger then colace. but it is for occl. use it is a laxative unlike colace that is just a stool softner. it usually works in 2 two tewlve hours. you can take two any time of day but i would suugest you ask your pharmasist for more information on it. it is something we use when the residents in the nursing home get constipated. also drink as much water as you can stand with it. i mean like as much as a gallen if it is even possible to drink that much at once.i know it sounds weird but let us know how it works. there are a lot of people who are also haveing the same problem.
thanks gail
Unread 04-23-2007, 03:32 PM   #25
fruitypod

I have just had a conversation with my doctor about this and he told me to use Magnesium citrate. It comes in a bottle next to the laxatives. I haven't got a chance to try it yet but I'll keep you posted. He also told me to use the Miralax and drink warm tea in the mornings instead of coffee. I told him coffee used to produce a bowel movement for me but not anymore. Hope this helps. I feel your pain, right there with you....been having a bm once a week and use a laxative or enema to get that. Then hurts like crazy. Good luck.
fruitypod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 01:01 AM   #26
rjr

24 hours since the Colace, with no results. I am going to take another 2 tonight at bedtime and see what happens tomorrow. This is getting really bad, an enema is the only thing that works so far. Is it bad to use an enema more than once per week?

JR
Unread 04-24-2007, 05:56 AM   #27
Lynn

Hopefully momovsix (Gail) is keeping track of this post. She's a nurse and has dealt a ton with patients with this problem. I would think that using an enema more than once a week is not good. I think I'd mentioned, I had the WORST time with constipation; it really took a while, but hang in there (easier said than done) and put into practice some of the feedback you're getting and sooner or later, it will be smooth sailing!!!
Lynn
Unread 04-24-2007, 09:42 AM   #28
nursejoan

useing a enema every week is bad because enemas are addicting in a way that eventualy you may not be able to poop on your own and will have to use a nema always.and if you are already so used to them that you need them every time you will have to stop useing them and it will be hard but try to get things moving again on your own. i just want to say that i am not a doctor and i suggest you ask your doctor or pharmasist the question to make sur. let me know what they say.
thanks gail
Unread 04-24-2007, 12:10 PM   #29
Brett

If you are severely constipated, it is because your dose is way too high. The sub dose should be as low as possible, just high enough to avoid withdraw.
Dosing once a day will help with constipation, do not dose in the morning until you have a bowel (sp)? movement. If you are dosing 2-3 times a day you will stay stopped up. I havent had any trouble since i began once a day dosing.
Eating lots of fiber will make the problem worse IF you dont drink plenty of water with it.

Brett
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 03:05 PM   #30
Lynn

Wow, Brett! I never took into consideration about the "dosing just once a day" I don't need to try that since I no longer have constipation. Interesting thought.
rjr, yes, please keep us posted on your progress and what ends up being the option(s) that work for you. I feel for ya. By the way, in your first post, you made reference to "marbles." At the height of my constipation frustration, that's what I ended up with coming out. No, this is not a "gross out" topic -- it's SO important to share our "bowel trouble" so others know it can be quite common, BUT also very manageable, given time an diligence
Lynn
Unread 04-24-2007, 11:12 PM   #31
rjr

My doctor tells me that it does not matter how many times a day that you dose, it matters the amount of mg. you are taking. For someone who had a problem with constipation before beginning Sub or Opiates, the drugs just add to the problem. He also said that just because the Sub is worsening the constipation, it does not necessarily mean that the dose is too high. Everyone is different when it comes to regularity.
I appreciate all of the advice you guys have given me. I am going to try fruits, vegetables, exercise.

I have to go, before I pop.

JR
Unread 04-25-2007, 10:24 AM   #32
nursejoan

i have been on for 10 months i started on 32mg and now am down to 26mg.i have seen no change in my bowel movements.although i have never had the constipation problem(i dose several times a day and i never stick to the same scedule.)I do however sometimes have the marbles and find it is usually when i am not drinking enough water.I can't belive i am on the internet talking about my bowels.i have never even pooped anywhere but in my own home. i just feel so comfortable on this forum.
gail(momovsix)
Unread 04-25-2007, 12:49 PM   #33
Brett

rjr,

Doctors dont know everything, I had terrible constipation the first 9 months on sub, I started once a day dosing and the problem is long gone, That is the only thing ive done different, It may work for you as well. You wont know if you dont give it a try. It will take a week to get the results.
I learned this from another member here, I too didnt really think it would work but it did. I think the reason this works for me is I wait at least 24 hours between doses and that gives time for the effects of the sub to wear off and the beginning stages of withdraw to begin. This allows me to feel whats going on with my body much better, this may not work for you but it did help me and some others, If you are not a chronic pain patient you shouldnt dose more then once a day anyway. Good luck

Brett
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2007, 04:23 PM   #34
Bassdad

Brett,Nancy,Tim or Anyone,

I have looked for the thread about constipation that I posted a bunch of info in and can't find it.If you know where it is,would you please 'Bump' it up so others experiencing this problem can read what has been posted?I will continue to look for that thread.

Thanx in advance for your help.

Bassdad
Bassdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2007, 08:27 PM   #35
SpAcEdGeD

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bassdad

Brett,Nancy,Tim or Anyone,

I have looked for the thread about constipation that I posted a bunch of info in and can't find it.If you know where it is,would you please 'Bump' it up so others experiencing this problem can read what has been posted?I will continue to look for that thread.

Thanx in advance for your help.

Bassdad
I went through all 8 pages of the topics you have responded too and I could not find it. But I do remember you posting this a few months back
SpAcEdGeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2007, 08:44 PM   #36
NancyB
Administrator

Hi, Is this it?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bassdad

IF YOU HAVE CONSTIPATION, THIS WILL TAKE CARE OF IT.

DAILY=Eat one cup of old fashion style oatmeal.Add raisins if you like.This is VERY IMPORTANT;Add some flackseed oil(just a little.It lubricates the lower intestines) and honey to taste.
DRINK MINIMUM OF 1 GALLON FILTERED WATER THROUGHOUT THE DAY.We NEED 25 grams of fiber daily. The average person gets as little as 7 grams of fiber per day,THAT IS NOT NEAR ENOUGH.If you continue with constipation, you will get palups(sp?)which are cancer causing bumps growing in the colon.If you have hard stools, your colon is being over worked and that is what causes these palups to grow.They will grow out of the colon and into the liver,causing a cancer that can not be stopped.Nobody has ever survived this type of cancer......

I personally have never had any problems with constipation, ever! I have been eating steel cut oatmeal for over 35 years,everyday without fail.My latest check-up showed nothing but healthy, at 50 years old it's a good idea to have the colon checked out, along with the rest of the lower intestine,including the rectum of course.This was my birthday present to myself...YIPPIE!!! LOL...There is no other way to check the colon without passing thru the rectum first.If you have healthy BM,don't worry about this simple procedure,unless you are 50 years old or more.I hope this explains the cure to this topic.

Later, Bassdad
Unread 04-25-2007, 09:10 PM   #37
nursejoan

bassdad,
is this it?
http://www.naabt.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2249
Unread 04-26-2007, 01:41 PM   #38
MMayer282

Rjr-

Any luck yet? I hate to even suggest this to you (because its oh-so-bad for you), but I have found that drinking coffee (as caffinated as you can get) and smoking cigarettes helps also with the constipation issue. Whenever Im feeling 'stuck' I do this and its instant gratification... well, erh, you know what I mean.

Have you seen a gastroentrologist yet?

-Miranda
MMayer282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2007, 03:22 PM   #39
littlemissbliss

Ah, THIS old topic again! An oldie, but a goodie!

I suffered horribly there for a while, and truth be told, nothing really helped, aside from getting under to not taking any more than 4mg at the *most*. After I got below 4mg, my intestines finally start functioning again.

littlemissbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2007, 08:24 PM   #40
paul1270

when I was on sub my doc had me on docusate with senna, it worked.
Unread 04-27-2007, 06:17 PM   #41
gypsydog

Rjr, I'm in the same boat. I posted for the first time yesterday (my post, below) and was kindly directed to this thread. I'm eager to start reading. Like you, I hate to have to stop the sub b/c I am doing so good staying clean with it, but I am starting to get worried.

I'm going to read the entire thread now, I just want you to know I'm there with you!

gypsydog

Well I'm new here and I have a problem I could use your help with! Actually the problem is more worrisome than it might be otherwise, because I am uninsured and am getting my sub from a friend who's treatment is covered (by insurance). So I don't have a doctor to ask or go to for help.

I've been on sub about a month and have had constipation since I started. I started at 8 mg daily and went down before the end of the first week, too 6 mg daily. I am doing well on that dose except for the constipation.

These are the things I've tried: laxatives, stool softeners (OTC)and and fleet enema's. The enema's work pretty well immediately after (short term relief).

My question is, what can I do so I won't need a weekly enema!? I eat a lot of fiberous whole foods and drink a lot of water. I love ice cream almost as much as I did my DOC, but I've been told dairy is not good with my problem.

I'm getting pretty concerned. I've heard too that if you're constipated your dose is too high - but I feel like my dose is perfect. However, I've started going down to 4 mg to see if it will help.

I'm aware that getting the sub the way I do is potentially very dangerous, is illegal as hell and is probably frowned on very much here - but I'm desperate for hearing your experiences and any solutions or tips you can offer.

Appreciately,

gypsydog
gypsydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2007, 08:06 PM   #42
Bassdad

Nancy,

Yes,you found what I was looking for.THANK YOU!!! Hope you have a nice weekend.Thinkin about you lots....

Bassdad
Bassdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2007, 08:51 PM   #43
Lynn

Just based on a ton of anectodal stories and posts here, it doesn't seem to necessarily mean that if you're on a "high" dose of sub that you will have constipation. Many people take a large dose and have managed to keep their bowels moving. Personally, I'd rather be on the "right" dose of sub for me and if contipation is a problem, deal with it at whatever sub dose works for you. I wouldn't trade my success of being on the best dose for me by lowering my dose to alleviate the constipation. I've been on 12 mg a day pretty much since I started in September and after trial and error, I have kept my constipation at bay. Many people on 3 times the dosage I'm on have regular bowel movements. Anyhow - good subject. It keeps coming up and many of you have been such a help with me when I went thru the trials and tribulations and frustration with constipation. Using my drug of choice (Vicodin) I have NO control over, but I DO have control about taking steps to manage my constipation.

have a good weekend, all!!
Unread 04-28-2007, 02:35 AM   #44
nursejoan

basssad,
hey man give credit where credit is due see post dated 4/25 for momovsix on this thread.
LOL!
Unread 04-28-2007, 11:32 PM   #45
RemissionRocks

CleanseMore by renewlife.
RemissionRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2007, 06:17 AM   #46
gypsydog

Thank you all so much. Yes, I am pretty desperate to say I'd risk going back to over 2 dozen norco a day than to be constipated - but the constipation is getting scary.

HOWEVER - I have an update! My husband suggested I try metamuscil, it says you can take up to three packages a day safely. SO, yesterday I did a morning packet an afternoon packet and an evening packet and drank a TON of water.

This morning I had success! For the first time in a month I had a fairly normal bowel movement on my own, the operative word being movement!

So I'm going to work with these packets and increased water intake. And the steel cut oats and flax seed is a great suggestion, hubby eats those and I've always turned my nose up at them - - till now, I'll be adding them to my diet!

jfriend, I found something in my cupboard that I was going to try if the metamuscil didn't work and it was from my yoga and fasting days, it's called Smooth Move tea (I think it's a senna product) and then I was going to try your suggestion. So thank you.

Thank you all. Rjr, try not to panick and don't give up. Drink a gallon of water a day if you have too. There's got to be MORE than enough water in the system to combat the effects of the sub.

Once I know today wasn't a sole occurance, I'll go back to my regular dose, I don't feel as well where I'm at now.

May I ask an administrative-type question please? Is there anyway to get email notifications of thread updates?

Thanks again everyone -
gypsydog

gypsydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2007, 09:34 AM   #47
MakHit

When I was on a high amount of opiates, the thing that worked for me best was this stuff:

It's called Colon Clenz from a company called Natural Balance.

It has a bunch of natural stuff in it and aloe as well. This stuff was by far the best poop medicine I've ever had haha. I took two capsules every day for over 2 years at least and it allowed a bowel movement every 2 days or so when I was on my highest opiate doses. Seriously saved my buttttt!

I suggest taking pro-active steps in getting constipation under control. Like others have said here before, the way we digest and get red of toxins really plays a huge roll in our health and well-being. It can also lead to serious problems if not looked into. We all know that, so I don't know why I'm saying that again, but this was something I was really worried about the whole time I took opiates.

If you find these Colon Clenz pills and also mix that will a high intake of water, fruits and other fiber containing foods, then you will be good. Usually when someone is backed up for days on end, the first movement is the worst to pass, but if you can double up on anything that helps this first time, then the others to come will be easier to keep in a constant motion. Good luck, I hate feeling like that.
MakHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2007, 10:10 AM   #48
SimonG

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40000841/
I hope that helps. I always advise increase fluids, increase fibre and we have movicol sachets in the Uk not sure if they have them but they are good. I wouldn't alter someones dose of Buprenorphine I'd treat the symptoms. Kiwi fruit are also helpful. Plenty of fruit and vegetables and to maintain this i.e. don't wait until you are constipated eat healthily each day andit might prevent it occuring again.
SimonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2007, 10:58 AM   #49
NancyB
Administrator

Hi gypsydog, So happy to hear that things worked out for you.
No, we don't have that thread email update. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Nancy
Unread 04-30-2007, 01:40 AM   #50
rjr

I saw the Doctor on Saturday and we discussed the constipation issue in depth. He seems to think my main problem is lack of fluid intake, particularly water. Don't say I told you so, Nancy. I told the doc that I drink coffee all day long and he says the caffeine is potentiating the lack of water in the bowel. I am now going to decrease my intake of coffee and other caffeine laden beverages and force myself to drink lots of plain old H2O. He also suggested using 1 Colace pill twice per day. I was under the impression that Colace used as a stool softener was habit forming, but he said I can use it everyday. Does anyone have anything on that?
I thought I would give anyone interested an update on the matter, or lack thereof. I will let you know how the new fluid intake works.

JOE