Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 10-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
down2nothing

Unhappy Is Suboxone causing my headaches

Good morning,
First of all of the 5 years on suboxone, I did not experience bad headaches until the last year. I did notice headaches on and off but lately (the last 6 months) the headaches are worse. They are at a peak from when I awake throughout the first 3-4 hrs of the morning. The 1st thing I do when I awake is drink 3 glasses of water. I get the headaches on average 2-3 times per week. These are not migraines, but they don't tickle either. In other words, when these headaches arise I can't accomplish much. I suspect the naloxone, but I am afraid to ask my Doctor about switching to subutex because of the stigma attached (IV use). Are there any research supporting a link between naloxone and headaches. I am currently on 7mg of suboxone per day, and thinking maybe the dose is to high thus causing headaches. I spread my daily doses out, so 7mg per day split into 3 doses. Anyone know about any natural options to combat headaches? Anyone know of any pharmaceuticals for headaches (not aspirin, Tylenol, etc...) but something outside of the mainstream. These headaches are not normal and I would like to eliminate them somehow.
down2nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi down2nothing, how long have you been at 7mg? Maybe you can think about trying to reduce 1 or 2mg to see if that helps. You can also try spitting out the saliva after the medication is dissolved - that's helped some people to determine if the naloxone is causing it.

Headaches are listed as a side effect for Suboxone - but it doesn't break it down as to whether it's the bupe or the naloxone:
http://www.rxlist.com/suboxone-drug/...tm#sideeffects

Here's the side effect list for naloxone, but it's the injectable formulation they refer to, because naloxone has very poor bioavailability sublingually and in the GI tract and it's main mode of administration is injection to reverse opiate overdoses:
http://www.rxlist.com/narcan-side-ef...rug-center.htm

Here is some data I found - but it doesn't say if it's sublingual or injection, but it definitely says headaches are a side effect.
http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/naloxone/headaches

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
down2nothing

Thanks Nancy,
I understand the amount of naloxone actually reaching my system is small, but I suspect it is at the bottom of my headaches and most recently elevated blood pressure. I also have depression, but the only medication I am on is suboxone. After reading the websites you offered, high blood pressure, headaches and depression were all linked in some way to naloxone. I always spit out and rinse my mouth after about 1/2 hour. So, my doctor said my blood pressure was elevated at my last appointment. Unusual, because BP was always perfect up until last appt., so hopefully it was just an outlier. I will bring it up next doctor appt., and see if after 5 yrs clean he will switch me to subutex.
Unread 10-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi again, some doctors have a hard time believing that the naloxone can cause problems because of the small amount that gets in the system. But if you're hypersensitive, not much has to get in your system - so don't let the doctor try to talk his way around that line of thinking. I found one other thing. It doesn't say naloxone specifically, but since it broke it out to "buprenorphine or buprenorphine and naloxone" it could encompass the naloxone.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...l#side-effects

Also in the TIP40 pdf page 69 it says:
"A history of hypersensitivity to naloxone is a contraindication to Suboxone® use. (Reckitt Benckiser Healthcare [UK] Ltd. et al. 2002)."

http://www.naabt.org/documents/TIP40.pdf

Maybe that will help too.

I wonder if you frame switching as just wanting to 'give it a try for a month' to see if it alleviates the headaches, if that's a better way of putting it? I would hope your doctor trusts you after 5 years and you're able to at least switch to give it a try. Fingers crossed.

Let us know what happens.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 11-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
jeremiah17

Hi d2n
I had the same problems with the headaches. Then I read somewhere to not swallow the saliva after the strip melts but to spit it out and rinse your mouth out with water. It worked for me and I was having monster headaches. I hope this helps.
jeremiah17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 09:04 AM   #6
Mjg

Default New at blogging but need help with suboxane

Post moved to new thread:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=29190
Mjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 10:04 AM   #7
nan

Post moved to:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=29190

Last edited by nan; 01-01-2014 at 10:10 AM..
nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 09:07 PM   #8
MattC42286

Hi down2nothing. I too have headaches sometimes. I would try lowering your total dosage. When i get them i take two ibuprofen and that helps everytime!
MattC42286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 12:45 PM   #9
TIM

A big cause of headache associated with buprenorphine is dehydration. The same mechanism that suppresses cravings might also suppress cravings for water somewhat. Some of the symptoms of dehydration are headache, constipation, and dark urine. Here's more on buprenorphine side effects: http://www.naabt.org/buprenorphine-side-effects.cfm
Tim

Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. Voluntary Disclosure: Timothy L. is the President of The National Alliance of Advocates for Buprenorphine treatment. (NAABT.org) The views and opinions of Timothy L., or any poster, are not necessarily the views of AddictionSurvivors.org. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider Any information you read here should only serve to inspire you to investigate further with credible, verifiable referenced sources or your doctor.
TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 11:33 PM   #10
MattC42286

Hi down2nothing! How r u? I also get headaches from time to time but i think it is from keeping my jaw tightly locked. I have a bad habit of that. So might be the cause of yours too! Hope they get better!
MattC42286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 06:00 AM   #11
XounDi

Hello people , i also get very bad headaches and this is most certainly not from drinking water because i drink TONS of liquids including plain tap water I think it's the time span where you hold the medicine in your mouth is the cause which let's the Naloxone also be absorbed and cause this shit ( Which at times can be Horrible ) I think i will try to hold the medicine in my mouth for exactly 10 minutes, then spit out the remaining liquid ... see if that gonna help! I will report back in a few weeks/1 month to let you know how it went
XounDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #12
down2nothing

Default headache still present

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC42286 View Post
Hi down2nothing! How r u? I also get headaches from time to time but i think it is from keeping my jaw tightly locked. I have a bad habit of that. So might be the cause of yours too! Hope they get better!
Hey MattC,
I too keep my jaw tightly locked, and tend to hold my breath without thinking about it. I think if we try to take deep breaths often and loose the tightness, in other words learn relaxation techniques we shall become partially free from headaches. I still get headaches and find that just 1/4 of a 325 mg aspirin helps a great deal. I think I am allergic to aspirin as if I take them often and continuously I get tinnitus (ringing in the ears). If I take them sparingly I'm ok. Bottom line I'm still getting headaches and I believe the naloxone is causing them.
thanks for the concern MattC
Unread 02-23-2014, 01:06 AM   #13
itsme77

hello I just started taking suboxone on jan 17th had some problems being on it also had such bad headaches so the doc put me on subutex and I barely have headaches any more so I hope I can hurry and get off of subs within a month.
itsme77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2014, 07:12 AM   #14
NancyB
Administrator

Hi MattC, have you tried spitting out the saliva that's left after the medication dissolves? That's helped many people if naloxone is the culprit.

Glad that small bit of aspirin works though!

Nancy
Unread 02-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #15
XounDi

Hey, another thing i can relate on this topic and some posts is that i also tighten my jaw pretty often, for example when i am in some kind of stress or i get angry at something ... i am currently trying to notice once it happens and release the tension, thought not always i notice that in time.

Recovery is such a complex thing, and everything begins in the micro details Well i guess this is just another one of those little things that i gotta keep working on, Max.
XounDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2014, 07:34 PM   #16
cat.sim8787

i get headaches almost everyday but just in the afternoon. Not sure what it is from i have been taking suboxone bout 2 years and the headaches just started bout the pass few months.
cat.sim8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2014, 08:02 PM   #17
laman78

I have the same problem. Headache every afternoon.
laman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2015, 12:59 AM   #18
TJG8807

Sometimes the suboxone gives me a headache and sometimes it dont.Normally when I start getting a headache I take a couple a aleve and it goes away.
TJG8807 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to TJG8807 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-16-2015)