Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 11-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
annacw

Default hi i have a few questions

hi i have a few questions about suboxone ive been taking it since monday 11/11/13 an i have no withdraw symptoms anymore but i am realy tired all day like right after i take my dose an im itchy all the time an i cnt sleep at night like i will lay in bed for hrs trying to fall asleep an when i do finaly fall asleep im awake 2 hrs later no for no reason that i can think of an i think the suboxone made me sick for a few days after i took a dose i would be in bed nauseous or in the bathroom vomiting an i was wondering is this side effects or just my body trying to adjust to the new meds? an if it is side effects is there anything i can do to help with them. my dr is still trying to get my doses right an stable at the moment i am taking 2 tablets in the morning 2mg/0.5 an every 2 hrs as needed i take 1 tablet she called me in stronger ones even tho i dnt want a stronger dose but ok ya thats all my questions srry this all ran together an srry if it doesn't make sence
annacw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi annacw, Suboxone is best utilized when the patient stays on the lowest dose that stops cravings and withdrawals; and it's best to be taken once a day and then forget about it until the next day. That takes the emphasis off of the medication.

How much have you been taking? The tiredness is common with people who are too high of a dose. Also, some people find that if they take it in the afternoon or later it disrupts their sleep.

If you're not taking the same dose every day, I think that is the first thing you can look at. If you are only taking the 2 mgs in the morning, you might think about trying less than that. But, when reducing the dose, it can take a couple of days to notice any difference because of the long halflife of the medication.

I hope this is helpful. Let us know.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
annacw

my dr has me taking it so many times a day because shes trying to figure out my proper dose so she told me to take 2 tablets in the morning an 1tablet every 2hrs as needed she has me take this questionare thing an if the score is 10 or above im suppose to take 1 tablet but im not sure total how much that is im new to this med ive only been taking it for 5 days i had a apt with her yesterday an told her everything i told u an she said the reason i cnt sleep is im having withdraws in my sleep an that i need more suboxone i told her that i dnt want to take more than i have to take to get ride of withdraws or at least make them barable an she upped my dose she said the suboxone she called in is the strips she said 8mg i think it has nalox in it as well an i think its 8mg suboxone an 2mg nalox im not sure i haven't picked it up yet but i did tell my dr that i was tired an sick to my stomach an i cnt stay asleep at night an no matter how tired i am it takes me hrs to fall asleep an i also told her that it makes me itch but she did say when i pick up the new perscrition to cut one strip up into pieces an only take one strip a day but take the pieces same way im taking the tablets if that makes any sence cause im confused about all of this
Unread 11-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi again, what were you taking before you started Suboxone and how much? When you started Suboxone, did you start low and increase only if had cravings or withdrawals or did you start off taking 4mg in the morning and then 2 more every few hours?

Generally speaking, an induction should go like this. When the patient is in enough withdrawals, they should take 2mg. Since it can take up to two hours for full effect of the medication, the patient waits an hour so; if they're still having withdrawals, then they take 2mg more; wait another hour or so and see if they're still having withdrawals. The best dose is the lowest that stops cravings and withdrawals. More than that can cause the side effects like feeling tired and nauseous; wired and can't sleep well, especially taking it too close to bedtime.

Suboxone has a halflife of around 37 hours, so it builds up in your system. So it you took 8mg yesterday, there are still 4mg left working and if you take 8mg more today, you'll add that to the 4mg leftover from yesterday.

Sorry for all the questions.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 11-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
annacw

its ok for all the questions i dnt mind at all before i started suboxone i was taking 3 7.5 loritab minumum an 6 to 7 loritabs max depending on what mg i could get my hands on an it went on like that for 7 years untill monday (11/11/13) as for the first apt with the suboxone dr she talked to me for bout 3 hrs her an 2 resident drs an then gave me 2 suboxone tablets 2mg/0.5mg tablets an wait 30 min asked me how i felt i felt great so she sent me downstairs to have lab work done an told me to go home an in 2 hrs take a questionar an if i scored a 10 take 1 2mg/0.5mg tablet an to call her an tell her my score an tell her that i took the 1 tablet an she told me to keep doing it that way until my next apt on thursday (11/14/13) on the 14th i told her the symptoms i was having she checked my paper work that i had been keeping of my scores an my medication list that showed the times an how much i took she said the reason i wasnt sleeping well was because i was having withdraw in my sleep so she upped my dose to one 8mg strip an told me to cut it in 4ths an take the pieces just like i do the tablets i told her the tablets were working i just needed to know if a sleep aid was ok to take with the suboxone she told me no an gave me more suboxone an when i told her i dnt wanna take a higher dose she said i needed it
Unread 11-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
annacw

one more the the questionar charts my cravings so if i scored a 10 i was in withdraw an needed to take another tablet so yes it was prescribed as needed
Unread 11-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
NancyB
Administrator

Hi annacw, what you might want to give a try is not taking any Suboxone in the late afternoon or later to see if that helps with your sleep.

One thing to look at is cravings and urges. Cravings are extremely intense and usually people can't distract themselves from them. Generally with urges, people can distract themselves from them. Urges don't warrant an increase in medication. Cravings usually do. At the beginning of treatment, many people have urges because they are so used to taking their former drug of choice, but that fades with time. That's another reason for once-a-day dosing - constantly thinking about how you feel and dosing because of how you feel can be reminiscent of active addiction - dosing multiple times a day.

Here's more on cravings and urges:

http://www.naabt.org/glossary.cfm

Craving: Powerful desire for a substance that cannot be ignored. Unnaturally strong desire/urge for a substance. An overpowering urge that people are ill-equipped to control through will. Usually it cannot be suppressed indefinitely and results in taking the substance. Cravings are a symptom of the abnormal brain adaptations of addiction. Craving (formerly called psychological dependence) is an intense desire to reexperience the effects of a psychoactive substance. Craving is the cause of relapse after long periods of abstinence.(N Engl J Med 2003;349:975-86.)(see urges)

Urge: Unlike cravings, urges can usually be suppressed by willpower. Urges are less powerful than cravings. Urges are often passing and temporary. Cognitive skills can be learned to effectively suppress urges. Urges can usually be traced back to a source like stress, depression, anxiety, etc. which provides motivation for the escape or comfort of the substance, while cravings may have no external source and the person may have no idea why they are craving and may actually not want to take the drug at all. (see cravings)

Just some other things to think about.

Nancy
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-15-2013)
Unread 11-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
annacw

Thumbs up

thank you nancyb i will get to reading i think im gonna like this forum lots of good info an nice helpful ppl
One User Says Thank You to annacw For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-16-2013)
Unread 11-17-2013, 06:59 AM   #9
NancyB
Administrator

Hi annacw, let us know how you're doing or if you have any questions when you have a chance.

Hope you're doing better.

Nancy
Unread 11-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #10
annacw

hi nancyb im doing so much better my dr has me on 1 film strip a day an if its to much an i get sick or to sleepy i can cut the 1 strip into pieces so i havnt been sick an ive been sleeping lol well sleeping better my 1 year old son is teething an keeps me up sometimes but now its him not the meds so im happy an doing great i start counselling monday and my cousalor is supposed to help me find a NA or AA meeting to go 2 thank u for all ur help
Unread 11-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #11
NancyB
Administrator

Hi again, glad to hear you're doing better! Hopefully your son will feel better soon and you both can get good sleep.

As far as meetings, you do not have to tell anyone that you take Suboxone. That is your business. Some people don't understand what addiction is - it's the uncontrollable, compulsive behavior despite negative consequences - not taking a medication as prescribed. So you taking Suboxone is not active addiction. This link helps explain it better:
http://www.naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm?ID=1

Hope the counseling goes well tomorrow!

Nancy
Unread 11-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #12
annacw

thank you for that info on what the difference is but what would happen if NA or AA found out i was on suboxone would they kick me out? because my dr said the NA or AA is madatory i have to go to the meetings once a week so i have to have this sheet signed every time i go wnt they ask why i need it signed srry for all the questions i just havnt ever been to a meeting so i dnt know how it all works?
Unread 11-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #13
NancyB
Administrator

Hi annacw, no one should find out because you're not obligated to tell anyone what medications you take. But if someone were to find out, then they may ask you not to talk there until you stop taking it. Not all meetings/people at meetings are against Suboxone, you'd have to feel them out to see. A lot of people here have said that they find AA more forgiving about it than NA. But it's best for you to go to different meetings and find one where you are comfortable.

Hope that makes sense.

Nancy
Unread 11-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #14
annacw

yes nancyb that makes perfect sence thank you so much for the heads up i dnt relise that the NA meeting ppl looked down on suboxone it has saved my life an my life with my children but ya ill see what kind of meetings i can find an try to find one i like an thank u again for the help