Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 01-13-2006, 02:11 PM   #1
dodo

Default Sweating and Suboxone

Does anybody sweat at night to the point where you wake up soaking wet? I thought I had read that somewhere on here. Because of my age and gender it is possible that the BIG M could be setting in but it really has seemed to start since I started the sub. I need to sleep on my back due to disk compression so when I wake up, the back of my neck is completely wet. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm not complaining, it is just annoying.
Thanks!
Doris
dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Say Thank You to dodo For This Useful Post:
Thank You (08-04-2012), Thank You (07-30-2012), Thank You (07-21-2012)
Unread 01-13-2006, 07:46 PM   #2
russell

I never had sweats as a w/d symptom, but I wake up now in the middle of the night just soaked to the point I have to change the bedding!
russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2006, 08:49 PM   #3
JRT

Tim was sweating a little-although it has been unseasonably warm here-I was not that sympathetic as I am beging the nite sweats-LOL
JRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2006, 08:50 PM   #4
Debbie

I have that problem also but attributed it to the fact that I am a 47 year old female and had the problem occasionally prior to the Suboxone. It seems to be worse now.
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2006, 08:54 PM   #5
sarah

I had that problem when my dose was low, then when I was above 12mgs it went away.

For anyone who does sweat a lot, be sure to drink plenty of liquids, many patients become dehydrated with opiates. This is the cause of many headaches.
Sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2006, 08:15 AM   #6
estaban

Dodo, your not alone .I am a 56 year old male and have also wondered if this sweating business is age related.Perhaps but I really think it is the suboxoneI have been on it for over 2 years and the episodes get farther and farther apart for myself.However in the beginning it was alot worse.Mine would not bother me during sleep just at odd times during the day.I hope this puts your mind at ease,your not alone

Estaban
estaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2006, 11:10 AM   #7
purple

I was sweating alot when i first started on sub. at night and at the most enconvienient part of my day [it was pouring out of me at times.I never really read much into it,I figered it was a hot summer when i started and i kinda figered sub. was the colprit.VERY important to DRINK LOTS OF WATER.
purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 10:23 PM   #8
gingerhaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodo View Post
Does anybody sweat at night to the point where you wake up soaking wet? I thought I had read that somewhere on here. Because of my age and gender it is possible that the BIG M could be setting in but it really has seemed to start since I started the sub. I need to sleep on my back due to disk compression so when I wake up, the back of my neck is completely wet. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm not complaining, it is just annoying.
Thanks!
Doris
OMG , ever since i started on sub two years go i wake up everymight without fail with soaking sweats , i have to change my clothes its so bad and of course im so wet im freezing. i dont know what to do about it , its so bad and its very annoying im to the point where im quite fearful that alot of these side effects cannot be good and they do not know enough about this drug to know what could happen to people if used for long periods of time. im scared!!! i mean lets face it its not normal to sweat like this a nd not to mention if you have a partner in bed with you its very unattractive especially when your a woman. im going to see what can be done for me , i also scared to go off suboxone though too. your not alone with this its horrible!!!
gingerhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 06:33 AM   #9
NancyB
Administrator

Hi gingerhaven, sweating is a side effect that has, for many, dissipated as they stabilize or with a dose reduction. Buprenorphine has been around for more than 30 years mainly used as a painkiller in the IM injectable formulation called Buprenex. IMO, people may think that it's a new medication because here in the U.S. it was approved for the treatment of opioid addiction in 2002. But it has been used for opioid addiction in Europe since the 1990s. There are people who have been Suboxone patients for very long-term - 8 years - who have not had any ill effects.

Here are some other threads where people talk about sweating:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=24304
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=18493
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=18467

Welcome to AddictionSurvivors.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (06-22-2012), Thank You (05-15-2010)
Unread 05-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #10
Jamesisdone

I am not on Sub anymore (I tapered months ago) but yes I was sweating bad.... so don't feel alone. Try a cold rag on your head and back of neck and drink tons of water. For me it stopped after a while.
Jamesisdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #11
Sub-Zero

Sweating happened to me too but was dose related, as I went down the sweating lessoned. I would sweat at night occasionally, but would always sweat more than usual when doing something strenuous or in very hot/humid weather. Make sure you rehydrate to compensate or it can lead to headaches and dark urine.
Sub
Sub-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2010, 06:32 PM   #12
UriahSky

Here is what I learned about myself and sweating. The number one cause for me was the drug Seroquel. I had been taking this for years and years and at the same time sweating like a faucet on a constant basis. I think it was some kind of interaction with the Subutex.

While using this software called Smart Diary and the process of elimination I finally figured out that the Seroquel was causing lots of problems. It didn't seem to do this when I first started on it and after awhile it is hard to see the forest for the tress. Cutting that out reduced the sweating by about 70%. Then reducing the dosage of Subutex and stopping coffee also helped. It can still bother me if I forget to take my jacket off or wear a tee shirt on a hot day but now at least I don't look like a freak to everyone. What a painful and damaging lesson. There is also something going with headaches and sweating that I am still learning about.
UriahSky is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to UriahSky For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-29-2010)
Unread 05-30-2010, 08:43 AM   #13
gingerhaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyB View Post
Hi gingerhaven, sweating is a side effect that has, for many, dissipated as they stabilize or with a dose reduction. Buprenorphine has been around for more than 30 years mainly used as a painkiller in the IM injectable formulation called Buprenex. IMO, people may think that it's a new medication because here in the U.S. it was approved for the treatment of opioid addiction in 2002. But it has been used for opioid addiction in Europe since the 1990s. There are people who have been Suboxone patients for very long-term - 8 years - who have not had any ill effects.

Here are some other threads where people talk about sweating side:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=24304
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=18493
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=18467

Welcome to AddictionSurvivors.

Nancy
Thank you Nancy for the information on suboxone, i have been concerned for quite some time now. I am so grateful for the drug itself of course, as i do not know where or what would of happen to me without this drug, i have been clean only because of suboxone, I do attend narcotics anonymous on a regular basis and other treatment programs as well . I do believe that an addict needs treatment with suboxone as i dont think the drug alone can change our thinking only our cravings. thank you so much for your post it helped out alot.
gingerhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #14
toms

I can relate to sweating while on ORT. This was especially annoying while I was on methadone, as I'd get occasional hot flashes that came and went quickly. They are far more infrequent on suboxone, at least they were for me.
Unread 05-31-2010, 05:41 PM   #15
blackthorn

I can relate not only do I sweat but my hair sweats not just my neck but my hair. But I will take a little sweat over the search when I ran out any day. I was a little concern but at first but if anyone askes about it I just blam it on summer..lol
blackthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #16
DanielF823

Angry Also sweating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Zero View Post
Sweating happened to me too but was dose related, as I went down the sweating lessoned. I would sweat at night occasionally, but would always sweat more than usual when doing something strenuous or in very hot/humid weather. Make sure you rehydrate to compensate or it can lead to headaches and dark urine.
Sub

I have the exact same thing! (Although not usually when I sleep)
I have been on 2-3 mg a day for the past year, So I should be adjusted.
But I sweat profusely from my face, upper and lower body at the worst times during the day.

Say I just get out of class and I am walking to my next class.
I leave the current building, walk about 100 years in 80 degree heat.
Up one flight of stairs, and into the next.
After being in the AC for about 2 minutes I start to poor sweat!!

(I started wearing flip-flops because if I was wearing shoes and socks it would be unbearable!)

It usually takes about 20+ minutes in A/C to stop, but then I am still drenched and it takes even longer for my clothes to dry.

Even when I am cooking I will get a clammy feeling all over my body under my clothes, which is the worst!

It is extremely discouraging especially if I am with friends, on a date or anywhere/time I don't have the liberty of taking a shower at my leisure.

I am glad I am not crazy or at least there are some others
I would like to hear if there are others on a long term (low dose/maintenance) who also has this issue as well. (Not just when detoxing or switching doses)
DanielF823 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to DanielF823 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (06-09-2012)
Unread 06-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #17
surfsupl

I'm the exact same way. Drives me nuts. What I did was take my dose every other day and it seemed to help until I started feeling uncomfortable from the odd dosage then I went back to my daily dose. I am now in the process of tapering my dose down and see what happens
surfsupl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #18
blake30

i found i sweated alot the first day or two but after that as long as didnt mis a dose the sweating stopped
blake30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #19
Hector

I was on opiates .the first few days after I started suboxone I would have night sweats so bad I would have to change the bed sheets after a few weeks I don't sweat any more.
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 02:34 AM   #20
MikeW

Sweating is a known side-effect of Suboxone and will usually dissapate once you stabilize at a dose. It's another reason to dose at the SAME TIME every day to keep your levels on an even keel.
Opiates are also well-known to dehydrate so drink lots of fluids.
Hope this helps.
MikeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 12:33 AM   #21
MattC42286

Yes drink lots of water while on sub. Even on a not so hot day just the sub itself will dehydrate you. Imagine if you are sweating!
MattC42286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #22
asouth32

I am a heavy sweater, have been ever since I was young. I am a amazon woman as well, I weigh in about 230 and I am 6ft tall. I constantly have to pack Pepsi around, yes I know water would help me more but bleckkk. I am not a water drinker, never have been and never will be. There is water in Pepsi LOL. Ever since I have been on Suboxone, from the hour that it kicked in when I first took it I went to sweating like crazy. I bought me a little fan that is battery powered at Walmart for 7 bucks, it has a cord that will allow it to hang around my neck and let me tell you it is amazing. That is probably the best thing in the summertime especially in those bigger stores because it is never cold enough in there for me.
I wish that I didnt have to deal with the sweating problem, but it could be worse. During the summer, I would have to coat myself in powder and deodarant.
asouth32 is offline   Reply With Quote