Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 03-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
Stephers3210

Default Bad Headaches??

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone else suffers from migraine headaches after taking their subs? I usually only get the headaches when I fall asleep with the sub melting in my mouth, and when I wake up I have a terrible headache all day. But I also get them when just taking the sub normally. Nothing gets rid of it.

If you let a sub melt in your mouth while you are sleeping, you get alot more of the bupe in your system. Due to not moving your mouth and less saliva production, the sub takes alot longer to dissolve, sometimes up to two hours and also because you won't be eating or drinking for hours afterwards, thus aiding in more absorption of the bupe.

I stopped taking them when I was going to sleep, but I still got the headaches sometimes, so I went back to taking them that way. Anyone else have this side effect or know any way to help prevent these headaches or get rid of them when they come? Caffiene is really the only thing I have found to be somewhat helpful.

Stephers3210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2011, 04:31 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Stephers3210, one of the easiest things to check is making sure you're drinking enough water. Opioids in general can suppress the thirst mechanism and even slight dehydration can cause headaches.

If that doesn't work, you can try spitting out what's leftover after the pill dissolves to see if that helps. That works for those who have a sensitivity to the naloxone.

Hope one of those works.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
Stephers3210

Thanks Nancy, I really appreciate the response. I will try drinking more fluids, I do have a tendency to not drink that much during the day. I'm on Subutex though, so no naloxone. I really need a solution because I am a single mom to a 1 year old and it is starting to impact my days, I need all my energy! lol
Stephers3210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
Jack123

How much Subutex are you on per day? I too am on Subutex and I find if I take too much I get minor headaches. But my head is one of the few parts of my body I never had much pain with. So maybe you're on too high a dose.

Can I ask you which Generic brand you're on, do you know? I'm having a problem with the different generic brands. At least I think I am. Right now I'm only on day 8 of being back on Subx. I was on the Name Brand Subx for 5 years with almost no problems at all. Severe back pain made my doc take me off Sub and put me on regular pain meds. But this stopped working, and got out of hand. It's another story. So I'm now back to Subx, but I can't afford the Name Brand so I'm on a generic. Right now I'm taking the Roxane brand. I have the 8 mg tabs and they're big white round pills. But the Pharmacy had also given me 1 tab made by Qualitest, and it seemed to work much better. It was white but oval shaped. Kind of like a football. So maybe you can tell me what brand you're on, or describe the pill? I'd appreciate it.

Meanwhile, if you're taking 16 mg a day I think that could be causing the headaches. In the 5 years I took Subx, I found lower doses work best. For me 5 mg a day was the best.
Jack123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
OhioMike

I can't add much to what has been shared, except to share what I experienced. For a short while early on, I too experienced headaches and I was staying hydrated. Please understand, staying hydrated is very important, as Nancy explained. ,,,,,,,,,, for me, it seemed as though time healed that side effect. Others here locally have also experienced this as well.

I also went through a period early on where I was very irritable. I'm not sure if either of these effects are directly connected to only Sub, as they might be caused by a combination of things, Sub included. They do seem to be somewhat common and pass with time.

Mike
Unread 04-05-2011, 01:01 PM   #6
Jack123

Default Roxane Subutex = Bad Med

Hey Stephers3210,

Aren't you taking Generic Subutex? Is it a big white round pill with the numbers 54 & 411 on 1 side and nothing on the other side? Those are Roxane brand Subx. I took them 2 weeks and I had an awful time of it. I got headaches, and I never get headaches. I had tons of anxiety, and my doc doesn't like to give me a Benzo. I had to beg for them. He gave me Ativan and it made the anxiety go away. I also spoke with my pharmacist, you have to talk to the head pharmacist. I got a new script for Subx and this time I have the Teva brand. They are better. Today is only the beginning of day 4 on Teva, but the headaches and anxiety is gone. Even my doc admitted that the Teva brand is better. He said the problem may be that since less Teva are manufactured than Roxane, they may be hard to get. But I got them, and they are better. I still don't think they're as good as the name brand. But at least they aren't causing more problems. I have to give them at least 8 full days before I make a final decision. From how it looks now, I want the name brand again. This drug saved my life once already, 6 years ago. I see no reason why it shouldn't be able to do so again. I just need real Buprenorphine. The drug that has all the wonderful side effects that Sub is known for. Roxane makes an inferior product. I have to call the FDA and complain about this. Just as soon as I gather enough evidence.

So it would be good to hear from anyone else who took Roxane Subutex and had a bad time with it. The more the better. There is strength in numbers. I may even write a letter plus a phone call. It's not right that Roxane is producing an inferior product, and because they were the first generic co. to make Subutex, their brand is being pushed all over the country. So they're raking in the money and many of us are suffering. I guess in part this is what happens in America. Companies will do this, until someone else forces them to clean up their act. All of us on this board have had to clean up our acts. I say it's time Roxane is forced to clean up their act.
Jack123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
erikanh80

I had migraines for the first time in my life when starting sub. I had never experienced anything like it........for me though it was just in the beginning and it never happens anymore.
Once I was on it for about 8 weeks, they stopped completely......mind you, I had a regular taper.....so not sure if it was due to the higher dosage in the beginning or the actual time frame of it building up in my system.

On this forum, this topic has come up a lot in the past and Ive seen many fellow members also have my experience, being mainly in the start & going away completely.
erikanh80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 12:12 AM   #8
2liberty

my twin sister and i both had headaches at the start of treatment, as well as my cousin. after the 1st month the headaches ended
2liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #9
Jenni

Red face Getting Headaches too

Hi. I am just 5 days into treatment and have been having really bad migraines. Have tryed taking one strip instead of two at the same time and taking the second at different times but it didn't work. Have tryed cold and sinus stuff, advil, asprin, and tylenol to no avail. I thought back to my first dose and think I had a headache prior to taking them but I'm not positive aboutthat. My mom was with me when I took the 2 films together and she told me to never do it again. It really messed me up and I didn't really realize it till after I got back in the car from being in the grocery store with her and my 4 and 6 year olds. When I got in the car my head was spinning and I realized I was pretty high LOL. (They say hat will go away once you get used to it. I hope so at least for her sake)

She and my father-in-law keep commenting on it like I'm getting high on purpose. I think I finally convinced mom it was the medicine and that the side effects were still a better alternative to the way things were before. I hadn't really ever told her what all I had been doing before now. I think she will be a little more accepting now.
Jenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Jenni, welcome! Are you making sure you're drinking enough water? That's the easiest thing to try first because even slight dehydration can cause headaches.

If you're still feeling like you're getting messed up from your dose, talk with your doctor about reducing it. The best dose is the lowest that stops cravings and withdrawals. When you started Suboxone, did you start at a low dose and then increase until your cravings and WDs stopped or were you just told to take 16mg.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 06-20-2011, 10:55 PM   #11
Selena15

Hi Jenni and Welcome.

The first 2 weeks I had really bad headaches. I took Sudafed and Excedrin. Sometimes it helped and sometime not.

Maybe try taking a smaller does and see if that helps with the headache as well as feeling messed up.

Good Luck

Marie
Selena15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #12
johnford

post moved to new thread:

http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=27948
johnford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
johnford

I love this forum. I get alot of headaces. Every other day. But its better than being addicted to other things.
johnford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 04:48 AM   #14
UriahSky

Default HEADACHES!

It took me along time to figure out that Subutex was causing these severe two day long very painful headaches. I guess I am kind of slow figuring these things out. I didn't get them in the beginning, but, about five or so years ago they started coming once a week and about a year ago they started coming every day. I have been on Subutex for over five years, maybe seven to ten total?? I always suspected the Sub was causing the headaches but somehow hoped it was other things like coffee, other meds, sleep apnea, foods, etc. So after eliminating all of those things and still getting killer headaches which were forms of torture I finally started working my dose down. Even when I got down to crumbs, maybe 1/8 of a MG or less I still got headaches but they were less painful. The headache always equaled the amount of relief, And they were always delayed by four to eight hours. So now I am on day five with out Sub, the longest I have been without a headache and without sub. I don't know what else to do. Believe me when I say I have tried everything to stop these headaches. I have been working at it for years. But without the Sub I am turning back into the vegetable I always was. Sub made life enjoyable and gave me motivation and a desire to live. Without it I sit in a chair and watch TV with no motivation to do anything. How long can I last like this? I just hope I naturally get better but that usually only happens in fairy tales.
Uriah
UriahSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 06:55 AM   #15
NancyB
Administrator

Hi UriahSky, have you looked into any type of treatment for depression? Do you exercise at all or have you had a full physical with blood work done recently - low Testosterone and lack of Vitamin D can cause feelings of depression. Did you get your blood sugar tested from when you posted about it before? Are you drinking enough water - that's the first thing to check with headaches as even slight dehydration can cause them.

Did the headaches start on brand name Subutex or when they discontinued that and you had to switch to the generic?

Sorry for all of the questions.

Nancy
Unread 07-07-2013, 12:51 AM   #16
UriahSky

Default Lifetime of Misary

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyB View Post
Hi UriahSky, have you looked into any type of treatment for depression? Do you exercise at all or have you had a full physical with blood work done recently - low Testosterone and lack of Vitamin D can cause feelings of depression. Did you get your blood sugar tested from when you posted about it before? Are you drinking enough water - that's the first thing to check with headaches as even slight dehydration can cause them.

Did the headaches start on brand name Subutex or when they discontinued that and you had to switch to the generic?

Sorry for all of the questions.

Nancy
Nancy,
I come from two people who shouldn't have had kids. I have two sisters and we all surfer in the same ways. Depression anxiety, Fatigue, social phobia, can't handle stress, get sick easy, apathy, A burden to society and many other things.

When I was 15 I knew there were problems and was determined to overcome them. I fought tooth and claw and tried everything imaginable Health food, exercise, religion, self help meds, etc, etc, etc, etc. I am 51 now and am exactly the same and no better same with my sisters. I am hyper sensitive to side effects but have tried over 30 different meds. Sub worked but caused excessive sweating, constipation and headaches. I really don't want to be a slave to it but if it wasn't for the headaches I wouldn't have stopped it.

I don't remember how long I have been on the generic but once it was available I wasted no time buying it. I am not sure I can afford the non generic but if enough people report headaches with the generic I will keep that in mind. I really don't want to go back on it but things can get pretty rough without it.

To answer your questions, yes I have tried all of the things you mentioned many many times and have tried many many other things. Nothing really works to any decent degree even Sub isn't the greatest. I started on Sub for treatment for depression. I have never had any kind of illegal or legal drug problem.

I had to lick the sides of a 8mg pill today because the pain in my legs was getting to rough and sure enough my head started to throb with pain. Mild but it was there.

I just think there are no answers for some people other than to suffer.
Thanks for the help,
Uriah
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #17
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Uriah, yikes. You really are in a predicament. Is Wellbutrin one of the meds that you tried? Just asking because it's not an SSRI/SSNRI but works on dopamine. Do you have a doctor who is willing to try different things? I wonder if you're allergic to the buprenorphine itself or if it's one of the fillers/binders in it. Have you ever been prescribed buprenex? It's IM injectable buprenorphine for pain. But it doesn't have all the binders and fillers that the pills have. In some early bupe clinical trials, they used the liquid form and put it under the tongue for mode of administration. From the TIP40 PDF page 41 http://www.naabt.org/links/TIP_40_PDF.pdf :

"Studies of sublingually administered buprenorphine have employed either an alcohol-based solution or a tablet formulation of the drug. Confusion may result when reviewing the literature on the effectiveness of buprenorphine at various doses because most early trials and clinical studies of buprenorphine were performed with a sublingually administered liquid preparation..."

There's a bioavailability chart on the next pdf page. Do you think your doctor would be willing to let you try one ampule to see if you're allergic to the bupe?

Have you tried taking benedryl when you take the -tex to see if it will help with the reactions?

Just wanted to put out some options if it will help your quality of life.

Nancy
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:01 AM   #18
UriahSky

Default Headaches from Sub

Nancy,

I had written a long reply to this the other day and Firefox crashed and I lost it all, so I gave up that day and am trying again today.

Is Wellbutrin one of the meds that you tried?
Yes, I still have some of it floating around here. I tried it for a few years and even tried it again last month. It makes me real tense and increases my negative thinking. It was better then extreme depression but it was a different kind of awful.

Do you have a doctor who is willing to try different things?
Most of the doctors I deal with are willing to try anything except opiates and I have tried things like Naloxone and some drugs from the UK. And many many others. The problem is usually they want you to try some new Phys Med and they want you to take it for weeks to a month and they increase the dose and hope for the best but I seem to be hyper sensitive to side effects and most all of the time the side effects are extreme and I have to stop. I remember I was on Paxil years ago and for two years my stomach hurt so bad every day and I don't think it was doing much of anything other than that.

I wonder if you're allergic to the buprenorphine itself Have you ever been prescribed buprenex?
A long time ago I did find a few viles of Bup in Mexico and it did nothing for me. But that is not really enough of a trial. What I am going to try and do is make it without the Bup/Sub and see how I am in a few months if I get that far. If that doesn't work. I will contact the Doc who was willing to use the Sub to treat depression and see if he has some ideas. Doctors take a chance treating people with controlled drugs and I don't want to put anyone in a bind.

Most of my problem is the cost. I don't have insurance and it seems the Sub thing is just a way for doctors to make more money. They don't seem to have much more of an insight into this world than most of us. I had been complaining of these headaches for years to my Sub doctor and he never once suggested the the Subutex might be the problem.

Just wanted to put out some options if it will help your quality of life.

Thanks I appreciate the help.
Russ