Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 02-06-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
Memphisminnie

Default Nausea - please help

I just wanted to thank you and (and GOD) that I found this thread. I was induced on 8 mg yesterday and all was fine and dandy until 6 HOURS later when I was struck with the most awful, violent nausea I have ever had. This tops the food poisoning by a mile LOL. I called my doctor(well my husband had to because my head was stuck inside a toilet) who prescribed phenegran and said,that "this sometimeshappen" and to keep taking my pills. Well, I took the phenegran and went to sleep, but I have yet (24 hours)later taken another dose of sub. I am too afraid!!!

I'm guessing that this was too high of a dose, but I won't know until I talk to dr. on Monday. I didn't have a very "bad" habit with hydrocodone. In fact, I was basically detoxed completely by the time I was induced. At the most, I took 10-15 hydros a day. But like I said, was pretty darn clean when induced. Do you think this has anything to do with it? Not being in a state of withdrawal (not because still high, but because detoxed already?)

THANK you ALL
Unread 02-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Memphisminnie, welcome. I'm sorry to hear that you had that reaction.

IMO, it sounds as though you may have taken too much, especially if you had already been off of the hydro before starting.

It would have served you better, I think, if your doctor had started you at 2mg, waited a couple of hours to re-evaluate your symptoms, then have you take 2mg, etc. to give you a better idea of what dose would be best for you.

How are you feeling now? If you can, please check your pupils in regular light and let us know how big/small they are.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
Memphisminnie

Thank you Nancy for your fast response.
I don't have the greatest of confidence in my doctor. Just kind of get a shady feeling.

My pupils look normal now. I looked kind of "high" on the sub yesterday though, I will admit.

What size should my pupils be on the subs?

Thank you again. I know you can't give out medical advice,but is it possible to split or even quarter 8 mg subs? My doctor's answering service is not answering the phone .. . surprise surprise.
Unread 02-06-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi again, if your pupils were pinned, then you most likely wouldn't have needed to take any more Suboxone today. It depends on the person how big/small their pupils are when they're stabilized. Some say theirs are on the smaller side, others, just regular.

But it sounds like yours were probably tiny yesterday, would most likely indicate too high of a dose.

If you can wait until tomorrow, you certainly can cut up the pills. Some people, with a decent pill cutter, can even get the 8mg down to 1mg pieces.

Are you having any cravings or WDs now?
Sorry your doctor isn't one of the better ones.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 02-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
Memphisminnie

I am very fair (blonde hair, blue eyes), and my eyes are already a lighter version of blue, so it's easy to tell when my pupils are doing crazy things. Right now, they are normal to me and I'm experiencing mild withdrawal. Which is fine. A lot better than last night for sure!

Thank you again.
Unread 02-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
NancyB
Administrator

Hi, if you can possibly wait until morning, that might be a better time to try even as little as 2mg. Some people have a hard time sleeping if they take Suboxone noon or later, so taking it this late might not be good for that reason. But if the cravings/withdrawals get back, then don't torture yourself by waiting.

Keep us posted!

Nancy
Unread 02-06-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
Memphisminnie

Oh Don't worry there NancyB. I wasn't even going to try to go back on the subs at all after last night's experience. But, it's good to know that could still make this work.
I am going to try to hold off as long as I can then take the ittiest bittiest dose I possibly can. I'm just trying to avoid cravings.
Unread 02-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #8
NancyB
Administrator

Hi, if the cravings get to be too much, then don't wait too long. Taking a tiny bit is a good idea. Hopefully, you'll be able to sleep without much problem and then maybe try a tiny bit in the morning. But once you get to your correct dose, you don't want to wait for cravings to take the medication, that can be reminiscent of active addiction by taking something to get rid of the cravings. But you just have to get on the right dose first.

Nancy
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (02-18-2010)
Unread 02-07-2010, 12:04 AM   #9
Memphisminnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyB View Post
But once you get to your correct dose, you don't want to wait for cravings to take the medication, that can be reminiscent of active addiction by taking something to get rid of the cravings. But you just have to get on the right dose first.

Nancy
I never thought about it like that, but that makes perfect sense. But, it is my ultimate goal to not get back to the craving stage. I mean, I understand little desires, but I would like to avoid that all encompassing, "I'm going to die without a pill" feeling.

I seriously cannot thank you enough for all your help.
Unread 02-07-2010, 08:15 AM   #10
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Memphisminnie, how are you today?

I completely understand your goals for not wanting to get back into that craving stage. What Suboxone is for is stop the cravings and withdrawals so that the patient can work on ways to learn to deal with triggers without being totally distracted by cravings and withdrawals. That's usually where therapy comes in – you can learn ways to deal with them for if they happen when you taper off of the Suboxone. Unlike full agonists, many people find themselves reducing their dose automatically as time goes on in recovery.

CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) can be a really good tool. Here's a link to a thread with some free CBT tools, if you're interested:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=22482

Let us know how you're doing when you get a chance.

Nancy
Unread 02-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #11
nowhere2turn

Hello Memphisminnie,

how are you doing? I seen your side effect post, and thought of myself. The same exact thing happened to me, if you can find my post on first day and vomitting, I think is what it was called. But anyway, the first 3 days, I had what I thought was the worst flu and migraine of my entire life. Nancy of course helped me and I got through it. I was taking about 10-12 750s of vics or perks everyday. I also have a horrible dr who just tells me to take more or take more and some ultram when I call him, so I have given up on him all together and been trying to figure this all out on my own for the past 30 days. I hope that you are feeling better and are able to get stabilized on the correct dosage for you. Let us know how you are doing
nowhere2turn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 04:16 PM   #12
Memphisminnie

Wow, nowhere, you and are so alike. Down to the amount of vics per day and crappy doctor!

After that first night of horrible nausea, I just couldn't bring myself to take another sub until everything was out of my system. So Saturday and Sunday, I basically relapsed to keep from going into withdrawal . . . ok, so that's a bad excuse, but part of it is true. By Monday morning, I was in sufficient withdrawal and took 2 mg at noon. Two hours later, I noticed that I felt relieved of withdrawal, but still suffering from cravings. So around 4 I took another 2 mg. I noticed everything just leveled out completely and was feeling like my normal self. Tuesday I took 4 mg total (2 mg morning, 2 mg night). Yesterday, 4 mg again since Tuesday went so well. But, I got a massive headache. I was so worried about the nausea coming since that was my first symptom on induction day. But, I stayed hydrated and fed and no nausea! Even the migraine went away after a little rest.
Like you, my doctor seriously doesn't know how to help. He actually has me on 16 mg of this stuff! Although i'm grateful for him, there's no way I can take 16 mg in one day. No way no how. So, like you, I'm just having to do this on my own. It sucks because everything you read (usually) on online help forums is "discuss it with your doctor". And I'm like, have you MET my doctor? LOI

Nancy helped me tremendously through this. I probably would have given up if not for this website.

Keep in touch! I'm interested in knowing how you are "self medicating" LOL. Good luck!
Unread 02-13-2010, 12:10 PM   #13
nowhere2turn

Well I am very glad that you found something that works for you. I already suffer from migraines and the migraines that I got from the subs was awful, I almost thought that there was no way that I could make it through. Nancy, told me to start spitting out the left over saliva that is in my mouth after the subs dissolve instead of swallowing it and it helped a lot of my side effects tremendously. I also started taking advil migraine when I did feel a headache coming on, as I knew that tylenol would not work because my body is so immune to it. But by spitting you spit out the naloxone that is in the subs which some people can be very sensitive to, but some people it has no effect on. My dr also wants me on 16 mg a day, and there is no way I could take that much. The first day he had me take that much, I was a walking zombie and so sick later. And then I called him and he told me to take another!!! Really? So he basically just always throws my script at me and says here ya go, and I pay him all this money for literally 2 seconds of his time. It is insane. I don't even want to talk to him, because I really do not feel like he is on my side at all. Pretty sad. I am glad to hear that you are doing better. I normally take 4 mg in the morn, and sometimes need to take more towards the evening, but if I take more than that at one time, it seems to be too much for me.
nowhere2turn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #14
Memphisminnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhere2turn View Post
And then I called him and he told me to take another!!! Really?
I know! That was what he told me when I told him I got so sick. He thinks it was withdrawal. I know what withdrawal feels like, and that aint it! There was no way I was taking more until that first dose wore completely off. And then when that happened, I only took 2 mg. Doctors orders were waaaay off for both of us I say.
Unread 02-14-2010, 10:16 AM   #15
eehealthy63

Dear nowheretoturn, like you I feel that way. the sub make me so nervous I shake visibly and have acid reflux and projectile vomiting @ least once a day. My Dr. showed me how to take the sub, so I don't swallow anything, it takes some work but I manage. I'm on week 3 and I'm still so sick. My doc said that the nervousness is not from the sub and that I must be taking it wrong. Have you found anything else to help your nausea. I'm a little play nurse, lpn, lol. And I have tried all I know @ this point. I need help.
eehealthy63 is offline   Reply With Quote