Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 06-23-2008, 12:25 PM   #1
sunsetgirl

Default How do I get rid of the weight I've put on

Hello all.
I am SO annoyed by only one thing about sub. I am 100% positive it is making me put on heaps of weight. I have not changed my diet other than maybe drinking more milk - for reasons unknown I am craving Iced Coffee!!!
I never weigh myself - don't even own a set of scales because I have always been around the same weight which is just average - not fat, not thin - just probably about right.
Now I can't do up my work clothes, my jeans etc. It seems to be distributed all around the waist!!!!
Has anybody put on weight then lost some or all when they have got OFF sub?
Somebody (was it Done?)posted on another thread that no matter that she changed diet when starting sub weight gain has still happened.
I wonder why sub can cause this? Pehaps it slows down our metabolism?
I am really upset - I don't want to go and buy a whole wardrobe of "chubby clothes"!!! Any ideas?
SunsetGirl.
sunsetgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #2
gotitang

I also find my things tight! What I have been trying is Quaker rice cakes...Apple cinnimen flavor! Great snack 0 calaries...I figure If I am going to gain a few pounds that is better than being loaded! Just like I've always told my sponsee's....Weight will stabalize when your recovery is strong. SO keep working your recovery and remember sub. is a tool not the solution. You must get help with the "thinking" part of addiction.
gotitang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
flier1

Sunset

I guess I am different, but since starting Sub I have lost about 45 pounds, but I think it is because I am getting out more and doing more physical things, before I would lay in my room all day and drink pop and eat chips and sweets and now I get up and moving and eat fruits and veggies and just plain eat healthier but I really do think mine is more of the physical activities, I get out and do something in the yard everyday and my husband and I play one on one basketball outside in the evening, I have yet to beat him but it gets the blood a pumping..

Helen
flier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2008, 10:31 PM   #4
sunsetgirl

Thanks above - yes I think maybe more exercise might be the solution. Its hard when you work full time, have a house to run and feel pooped!!!
Then again - exercise is meant to make you feel LESS tired....isn't it?? LOL.
SunsetGirl
Unread 06-23-2008, 11:23 PM   #5
kitty77

as u all know, I'm still waiting to get on sub. But, that was one of the first things I asked my dr.1- because of the city I live in & my job doesn't allow me to get fat. 2- who wants to get fat?!?? ...... My dr said that it won't slow down your metabolism but if ur not used to eating regularlly, u will regain your appetite. Ive always been able to eat on dope . The dr said that its as simple as calories in & calories burned. So just watch your complex carbs, try to cut out refined sugars, not alot of alcohol & dont eat late @ night. Exercise is great too. ********* ive also heard on another thread that the constipation can bloat u up & add a heavy feeling. Let me know how it goes so I'll know if I have to get rid of my "light" ice cream once I start sub!
kitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2008, 12:54 AM   #6
bam55

kitty,this time I believe your Doctor is correct.
Bill
bam55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 04:56 AM   #7
angelout

My humble opinion is it increases appetite and sweet cravings. Also, there is a common consensus that Sub causes major constipation: any drug that does that to you is slowing down your metabolissm. I used to have a very hyperactive system, my stomach which actually pulse and spasm around like it was moving, sub stopped that cold. When I am on a lower dose like 2mg I go normally, but more than that and i am constipated. I think half the trick with the weight is to keep that food moving in and OUT of the bod. good luck
angelout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 07:04 AM   #8
sunsetgirl

Hi Angelout. Yes I think you might be correct. Constipation has been one of my major issues with sub and still continuing. I get very bloated, heavy and feel unwell because of it. I am going to ask my Doctor when I see him if I can speed my taper up a little and drop by 0.4mg each week rather than by 0.2. I can always switch back again if it doesn't feel right.
Sub has been wonderful in terms of giving me my life back but I feel I am finished with it now. My drug abuse was codeine so not overly strong although I did take a LOT of it. I am in no way interested (not even remotely) in taking codeine again because I have too many vivid memories of it not only making me feel relaxed - but making me feel dreadfully sick, out of it, unable to function and just overall horrible. I lost my old job because of it and I have been blessed with a new and better job which I love and for which I am highly paid. There is no way I will risk these new things in my life. There is one other thing about sub I am noticing that I don't like much and that is I often do not feel like "me". I feel a little detatched at times which is not like me at all. As I said - it's been a lifesaver - but now it's time to come off.
Bye for now. SunsetGirl.
Unread 06-25-2008, 09:50 AM   #9
scootergalp

Hey Sunsetgirl.......the same thing happened to me last week. I hadnt gone like in 5 days,I was incredibly bloated and I thought I had some kind of weird flu.Wasn't fun. And I'm eating tons of sweets now too. Actually....I'm eating ice cream while typing this. :-)

Scott
scootergalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 02:19 PM   #10
sunsetgirl

Hey Scott - I had to laugh when I read your post as I was guzzling down an iced coffee milkshake and eating toast with honey!!!!!!
Not only has my cigarette smoking increased dramatically but my intake of carbohydrates especially "sugars" has gone through the roof. Surely it must be some strange side effect of the sub? I have never normally been a huge sweet tooth - I like sweets but not like this. I need HELP before I turn into a blimp!!!! SunsetGirl. p.s. what helps you with the constipation?
Unread 06-25-2008, 07:37 PM   #11
scootergalp

Hey Sunset..........I take this stuff called Natural Calm.Check it out

http://www.herbalremedies.com/natural-calm.html
Unread 06-25-2008, 08:22 PM   #12
sunsetgirl

Thanks Scott. It doesn't look like it is sold here where I live but I notice I can order over the net. I think I will do this as I spent ages reading about all the other health benefits of magnesium and many of the symptoms of magnesium deficiency that are mentioned I definitely suffer from!!
Has this helped you a lot (you mentioned you did not "go" for 5 days). Even normal otc laxatives are not helping me - I have to take a ton of the things for anything at all to happen. Thank you. SunsetGirl
Unread 06-25-2008, 09:23 PM   #13
scootergalp

Oh it's helped me a lot. I don't have any problems going anymore.
Unread 06-26-2008, 03:08 AM   #14
KevO

Sunset, there are a couple reasons for why sub can cause weight gain, and both of them have been covered already. Sub (and other opiates as well, especially methadone) many times cause us to crave sweets, and this sharp increase in sugars and fats can really add up. I am also an iced coffee fanatic myself, actually I prefer Mocha iced lattes from Dunkin' Donuts (with an xtra shot of espresso and whipped cream of course), and since being on sub, my ICE CREAM cravings have returned as well. I had a feeling the sweet cravings would come back with sub, just as they used to be when I was on methadone...and I was right.

So, when you couple this large increase in sugar and fat intake, with the severe constipation that sub can cause...you have a recipe for some VERY rapid weight gain. The constipation does indeed cause your metabolism to slow down (and not to mention, you add pounds just because all that food you are putting in isn't coming out, due to the constipation), and when you add a slow metabolism + lots of sugar and fat, you get weight gain.

If you had a normal or fast metabolism before getting on sub, then it's the constipation that you need to tackle, along with less sugar/fat intake. You should really try Miralax, it has worked wonders for me since I started taking it a few weeks ago. I was only able to use the bathroom TWO times in the first 2 weeks on sub, and after starting Miralax (I take it every other day), I am now having daily b.m.'s and I feel ALOT less bloated and more energetic as well. You may also consider switching to using skim milk for your ice coffees, and try switching to either splenda, or a natural sweetner called Stevia (which is MUCH MUCH better than splenda, you can find it at natural food stores, it tastes BETTER than sugar in my opinion, but doesn't contain glucose.

And the obvious elephant in the room when it comes to weight loss, or weight maintenance, is EXCERCISE. Even a 5-10 minute jog everyday will make a HUGE difference in burning off some of those calories. Perhaps try taking a 5-10 minute jog, or a 30 minute walk every day, along with Miralax, and switch to skim milk/stevia for your iced coffees, and I think you will be feeling like your self again. You can get miralax at CVS, walgreens, rite-aid, etc etc.
KevO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2008, 02:16 PM   #15
sunsetgirl

Hi Kev O and thanks (Scooter thanks for the info - I will order some!!).
I use no fat milk for iced coffee but I do have a LOT of sugar in it. So I will try the stevia.
I asked at the chemist about miralax and it's not heard of in Australia but maybe it goes by another name here? Could you tell me the active ingredient (as in what's in it - rather than just the trade name?). That way the pharmacist may know what I am talking about. Can you buy it OTC?
Yes - exercise!! I need to wait a little on that as I have been ill with a blood disorder for a couple of years - getting better but it's slow. In the interim I am not allowed to do any cardio or anaerobic exercise except for short walks. You sound similar to me in craving "milky sweet things"!!! Thanks and if you could let me know the name of the active ingredient in miralax that would be great. Regards. SunsetGirl