Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 09-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #201
Sluice7

EVERY nite I eat a whole plate full of Kale. Kale is one of the most nutrious 'greens' you can eat. Most people do not like it raw(kinda bitter), but that's the way I consume it. I grew my own this year and I have kale growing out of my ears! The good amount of fiber in it helps w/ constipation. There are various ways to fix kale to where you can get to like, at least tolerate it. I have ate kale every nite for about 10 months now. I've lost 25lbs,(got about 10 more to go) and I swear my wrinkled skin, from all the sun I procured in my youth, is slowly going away. I also eat Quinoa in the AM, sometimes mixed w/ oatmeal. Also numerous supplements, especially Vit.C, powdered form in high amounts. I've been taking the 'C' this way for 35 plus yrs. and never had a cold or the flu. (Just had the 'other' kind of flu)...Stewed prunes, prune juice w/pulp and Metamucil,(Walmart Equate brand is just as good) also are good for constipation.
Once I bought some stuff called 'Calm'. Guess I thought that I needed to calm down. I took a big dose of the stuff and about a half hour later, I was making a few trips to the bathroom,(had the runs). I read the back of the bottle and found out that the only ingredient in it was magnesium citrate!!!
Hang in there everyone,,,,
Scott....

Last edited by Sluice7; 09-18-2011 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: Important that Vit. C is in powdered form...
Sluice7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:38 PM   #202
timordog

Default wow

Wow, you sound so healthy and extremely motivated.
timordog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:59 PM   #203
Sluice7

Thanx timro. Life has been FUN for me in these past 4 years. I give all the credit to people like you and to God, of course...
One User Says Thank You to Sluice7 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-18-2011)
Unread 10-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #204
timordog

Default The only thing that works

I have the constipation problem, have had it for years. The suboxone makes it soooo much worse. I have to take Colon Cleanse, you can buy it cheaply at Trader Joes. GNC also has it, but it is triple the price. I have tried all the other alternatives, none of them worked. My mom talked me into Mira Lax for two weeks and I couldn't do it anymore, I was so backed up. I hope this helps those of you who can not get any relief....
timordog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 10:26 PM   #205
amber.4.14.11

I eat a "fiber One" bar every day for breakfast on my way to work. they make these in all sorts of flavors. I emailed the company and got a bunch of buy one, get one free coupons. They also kind of help for the sweet tooth part of me. Just wanted to add that. It took me awhile to find something that worked for me, without making me HAVE to go potty every 20 mins. the fiber bars seem to just make me "regular"
amber.4.14.11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 01:20 AM   #206
janie

I just use the BeneFiber chewable tablets...work well enough for me. When I first started Sub 2yrs ago this side effect bothered me a good bit..and Miralax works wonders!
Unread 10-30-2011, 01:21 AM   #207
amber.4.14.11

=))))) lol
amber.4.14.11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #208
moeZy

Much experience with slow/no poops here! I suggest (along with all of the above) to try abdomen massages. This is especially good to do while trying to hold an enema in to work (just be careful!) Lie down with some oil or lotion. Start rubbing your abdomen all over in a clockwise direction, circular, continuous stroke. (If the clock were "hanging" on you, facing other people, you will be moving from your right to left). Keep increasing pressure into these circular motions until you reach firm, comfortable pressures. Try this for several minutes, experiment around to find out what works best for your own body. It helps to visualize where your large colon is and the direction in which it moves out waste...you'll get the hang of it quickly.
Good luck!
moeZy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #209
Sluice7

Start out w/ 4ozs. fresh lemon juice,(chug it).
Sit down and enjoy a medium size bowl of stewed prunes.
And then a very large plate of kale. Eat the kale raw,(like a cow consumes hay).

Announce to everyone around you to carefully, STAND BACK!!!!!

Scott.....
Unread 03-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #210
Redefining_Life

My doctor gave me samples of Senakot, which I'm sure is just a brand name for the Senna stuff. I even saw a generic Senna pill at Family Dollar for just a few bucks. I have tried the Senakot, Ducolax (a laxative), and am really interested in this "Smooth Move Tea". The Ducolax caused some cramping, but I've also been spending my week in hospice with my grandma, so the cramping/constipation could be stress. Unfortunately I am still really new to Suboxone, 1 month today!, but I am on a significantly higher dose than what most listed. Anyway, the Senakot used to be by prescription only, but is now OTC. My doctor said it's all natural, and highly recommends it. I'm pretty sure Senna is the same thing. My biggest piece of advice: Pharmacists deal with constipated people more often than we think. Go to a Walgreens, Drug mart, or any pharmacy, and ask them what they recommend for constipation. They will be happy to help.

Hope everyone on here can find something that works, and I'll keep reading for help as well. I need to drink more water.
Redefining_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #211
Redefining_Life

P.S.- Kashi Go Lean cereal is full of fiber, my personal favorite is the Berry Crunch.
Redefining_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #212
Shell0930

I had this problem too - for 3 years and I couldnt take it anymore. I used laxatives, prune juice, water, fiber you name it, and NOTHING helped. I finally had to go to the emergency room and that was a horrendous experience. That is why I quit Cold turkey. Unfortunately I felt it was affecting my health, how can you be constipated for 3 years and THAT be healthy?? So I went from 16 MG to 8mg to 4 mg within like a month, guess I shouldnt wonder why I am hurting and suffering withdrawals still after day 30....def do not have constipation anymore! I gained like 15+ lbs while taking sub because of being constipated, I mean like not going at all for like 5-6 days sometimes, which I KNOW cannot be good for you. Good luck

Shell
Shell0930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #213
Alaycia718

Theyre doing lots of tests on me now because of the constipation.. I marked it on the calender when I did go and 1 time there were 24 days in between and the next month was 21 days in between.. thats twice I went in 2 months.. THAT CANT BE HEALTHY.. the weird thing is though I feel fine all month up until I finally got to go then its so painful and miserable, ive been in tears before trying to go but afterwards im back to feeling fine again till next time I gotta go. I dont get it and dont see how its possible to only have to go that often but not have it effect me. Crazy.
Alaycia718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 10:50 PM   #214
MightyQuinn

Red face ugh!

I'm really sorry to hear that you're experiencing this, as I can completely empathize with you. I've been on subs for about a year now, and I've had little to no relief with constant constipation. My dr. assures me that it's not related to the subs, that my body would have gotten used to it by now, but I know he's got to be wrong. I've never had any kind of stomach or digestive or bowel problems whatsoever until about a week after starting subs.

The only thing that seems to help is paying really close attention to my diet. no dairy, tons of raw veggies and fruit, tons of water and fruit juice, and vitamins.
Exercise also seems to help for some reason.

hope that helps, and good luck!
MightyQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 02:28 AM   #215
JJ11907

I use miralax and take it once a day till it happens. Then I'm normally ok for a few days and have normal bm each day. You can get a 3 pack 18oz containers of the generic from Costco for around $20, the brand name stuff is expensive around $30 for one 18oz container.
JJ11907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 11:53 PM   #216
Want2beclean

Ive tried alot of stuff for constipation but wanted to tell anyone with same problem that Miralax works great. Like posted above take it once a day until u have a bowel movement. If needed u can take it twice a day in the beginning. Then only take as needed. Was wondering if anything could help with this problem and Miralax does.
Unread 08-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #217
Hermajessty

Default Constipated

Honey, I've been on suboxone for three years and I FEEL YOUR PAIN.
The truth is, any kind of opiate or synthetic opiate is going to have a constipating effect on your body. It will only get worse, and you will hurt yourself if you do not treat this symptom.

I have found that a combination of senna natural laxatives and stool softeners (found at any local CVS pharmacy, or drug store) taken every day at bedtime are the best combination for me longterm. They help create a natural balance, and keep you going number 2(without pain) every day.
Hermajessty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #218
jtt77

I second what Hermajessty recently posted. Not only taking a stool softener every day at bed time (and I take double dosage every day), but also taking a fiber substitute. And I combine a laxative when I miss a day or two.

Over the past 20-some years I have been dealing with this issue. 2 years ago I had my first child. Low and behold, she has had constipation issues since day one. It seems like I passed it on to her through some genetic mutation! I know that is not possible, but I feel so bad for her. I literally have to squeeze the turd out of her body like a zit. We recently got it under control, and I have adopted part of what we do for her, and that is taking fiber every day. At 2 she is taking a full adult dose, daily, in order to get her to go every day or so.

I found that the softener, combined with the fiber every day works pretty good. If I go a day or so without going, I add a laxative to the mix until I do go.

The trick is to be diligent about this. You wouldn't miss your well shot while using, I'm sure now that you're on subs you won't miss a day taking your medication. Use the same diligence with your poop meds =) Take them every day until you go, and then don't stop taking them.
jtt77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #219
vilano07

Default Reverse constipation

HELLO.
RJR,- AFTER READING UR POST I HAD TO REPLY. THANK HEAVENS I STAYED TUNED TO PBS ONE DAY AS THEY HAD A DIGESTIVE CARE EXPERT HER NAME IS BRENDA WATSON EXPLAINING THIS CONDITION. I DISCOVERED THAT THE NATURAL BACTERIA IN THE STOMACH HAS BEEN DEPLETED AND IT HAS TO BE RESTORED.
THE CURE- ULTIMATE FLORA BOUGHT FROM HEALTH STORES. IT IS A HIGH QUALITY HIGH CULTURE COUNT PROBIOTIC- 50 BILLION PER CAPSULE. (10 PROBIOTIC STRAINS, LIVE CULTURES)

THE GOOD- YOU WILL RETURN TO NORMAL IN ABOUT 6-8 WEEKS. I DID AND I WAS IN BAAD SHAPE!!! IN FACT MINERAL OIL AND THE PILLS DID NOTHING. I WAS AFRAID I HAD REALLY RUINED SOMETHING. ENEMAS WAS THE ONLY WAY.
THE BAD- COSTS ABOUT 45 DOLLARS PER UNIT. A 30 DAY SUPPLY IS 30 CAPSULES.

IVE ONLY BOUGHT ABOUT 5 UNITS IN THE PAST 18 MONTHS DUE TO THE COST. ITS TIME TO BUY AGAIN BUT AT LEAST ITS STILL 70% NORMAL WHEN I GO. (68% BETTER)
I WAS A VEGAN FOR 7 YEARS FROM 1993 TO 2000 AND KNOW THE TREMENDOUS BENEFITS OF RAW FRUITS AND VEGGIES, MADE MY OWN CEREAL AND BREAD ETC.. I STILL EAT RAW BROCOLI (ESP STALKS) WHICH I THINK IS THE NEXT BEST SINGLE THING TO DO. NEXT BEST IS AN APPLE WITH PNUT BUTTER. RAW PRUNES GOT TO BE GOOD I JUST HAVENT. GET THE MONEY AND START. ITS THE ONLY THING THAT WORKED FOR ME. IMO-I WOULDNT WASTE MY MONEY ON CHEAP PROBIOTICS. WHO CAN WAIT 6 MONTHS IF THEY DO ANYTHING AT ALL. MORE INFO AT.. . BRENDAWATSON.COM/PBS.
A FRIEND- V7

Last edited by vilano07; 10-15-2012 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: CLARIFICATION
vilano07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #220
vilano07

Oh yea, also-
a juicer. Juicing veggies. - like spinich carrot apple.
A blender for fruit. Fruit smoothies. With peanut butter sometimes.
Good nutrition feels good gives energy and sometimes a natural high
exercise helps the gut to work & many other benefits.
Add all this together ive always felt better & had clearer thinking.
I just hope this would help someone -v7
Unread 10-17-2012, 05:52 AM   #221
Brooklyyn

Hi v7. That was encouraging to read as I'm trying to eat healthier, exercise, and go vegan eventually. I also deal with some mild to moderate constipation, so I'm glad to read about Ultimate Flora. I will definitely give it a try. My sister stays constipated and has for years. She has tried everything under the sun and nothing seems to work. I will get some for her too. Hope it helps her. She isn't on Suboxone, she's just always had a problem with regular bm's. Thanks again for the advice and encouragement.
Brooklyyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #222
vilano07

Good morning,
I once found motivation to exercise. thinking back in 93' why i became a vegan. ive always had problems with depression. IF i was WEALTHY i could afford the exhilirating lifestyle i want and wouldnt abuse alcohol so bad. i wouldnt be bored or boring and drink like that. so i just moved to another state to get away from those weekend hangovers (thank you AA and the STEPS for the truth). to fast forward- i met some new friends and they "had it", they were happy,no problems, they were vegan and said that diet would help with my studies. being very interested i got into vegan 100%. it worked so well i had so much ENERGY! i went to bed feeling great and woke up feeling great. i HAD to exercise as i couldnt stay still especially in the morning. i found exercise on tv and joined in. walking, hiking and mountain biking. i stayed awake before and after my studies (a 1st.) it was a good run for 7 years but to fast forward- a divorce,
Unread 10-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #223
vilano07

Default continued

i ran out of space. anyways im over that. man, that took time to recover even when its the right thing to do. i wish i could stay motivated like back then. its something how opiates seem to destroy the healthy bacteria in the GI tract. left untreated and continued opiate abuse caused me "trauma". If i could help someone through that or avoid that? i have to speak up.
All done now. HAVE A GREAT DAY. -V7
Unread 10-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #224
june201958

Default Prune juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjr View Post
what is the deal? I know i am not the only one who is having this problem. I have tried everything. I mean everything. I hate to have to quit using suboxone, but i can't take this. The only way a bm occurs is with an enema. And then it is only "marbles"
sorry for being so blunt. help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
i had the same problem ..... 2 big glasses of nasty ass prune juice worked!!!!!!!!!!
june201958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #225
Kia25

I have been on Suboxone for 10 months.
Of course I have had issues with constipation prior to that since I abused opiates for years.

My advice for new comers is to work on this problem consistently while on Suboxone.

I use stool softeners and I take MiraLAX regularly.
If I slack off, I found out yesterday the consequences are horrible !!! I had the WORST experience yesterday (I'll spare you all the details).
Seriously, stay on top of this side effect it can be very serious if it's ignored.

Take Care
Kia
Unread 10-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #226
vilano07

I agree. so embarrassing to mention even in anonymity. newcomers, stay on top of this side effect as its better to have marbles and start treatment than having an XL grapefruit that has to pass and cant without a lot of help. somehow that was building up even while i was having marbles.
I believe if we have to use an opiate we need to replace the healthy bacteria alive in the G I tract or they dry up and die. also my post on 10-15-12 @ 153 pm about probiotics treats the cause rather than the symptom. because for me nothing and i mean nothing else worked for me at that time.
Raw fruit n veggies has the probiotics in them but eating them constantly doesnt taste good and who has that much discipline.
I found out that if i would just prepare the raw broccoli and grapes ready to eat in a bowl laying out on the counter then i would eat them as i passed by. Good luck be well, - v7
2 Users Say Thank You to vilano07 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (02-04-2017), Thank You (03-27-2016)
Unread 11-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #227
june201958

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjr View Post
WHAT IS THE DEAL? I know I am not the only one who is having this problem. I have tried everything. I mean EVERYTHING. I hate to have to quit using Suboxone, but I can't take this. The only way a BM occurs is with an enema. And then it is only "marbles"
Sorry for being so blunt. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
My pharmacist told me two drink a glass of prune juice one in the morning, at night and it worked! Better then all the pill and over the counter crap..I could not believe it either
june201958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #228
anibis

Plum juice works the same as prune juice and tastes MUCH better.
anibis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #229
smgaspard

Ive had this issue since the beginning of my use of suboxone. I now take 2 tablespoons of Metamucile daily and sometimes twice a day. This seems to work fine. Might take a week or so to get the ball rolling but once your regular dont stop. Make it a ritual.
smgaspard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #230
TIM

NAABT has updated the side effects page and has a special section on severe constipation that everyone should read...despite it causing unpleasant imagery. It talks about a few remedies that wouldn't be a bad idea to keep in the closet just in case.

enjoy-
http://www.naabt.org/buprenorphine-side-effects.cfm

Tim

Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. Voluntary Disclosure: Timothy L. is the President of The National Alliance of Advocates for Buprenorphine treatment. (NAABT.org) The views and opinions of Timothy L., or any poster, are not necessarily the views of AddictionSurvivors.org. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider Any information you read here should only serve to inspire you to investigate further with credible, verifiable referenced sources or your doctor.
TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #231
nickl

I have been dealing with this for awhile cause even before you got treatment you were having problems with your bale movements. So the best thing i have found is if you find a food that helps you move your crap out remeber what it is and when having problems with that again just eat that food. I found that ice cream helps alot specially the milk shakes from steak and shake. If that doesn't work take some form of laxative.
nickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #232
nickl

Like I posted earlier if ypu dont like taking the laxative try some ice cream. I swear by it cause when I can't get any relief I eat some ice cream and within 20 mins I am on the toliet and it clears it al out. I hope it works if you try , that stuff taste real nasty and its hard to get down . Who doesnt like ice cream unless you have IBS then try something else.
nickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 10:05 PM   #233
alita56

if you want to poop and take subs, TRY sugar free anything!! I suck on 3 sugar free cough drops a night and go every morning. and im taking 12 mg a day. there is a lot of different types of sugar free things out there guys and gales, try it, it does work. i spend $1.25 on a bag of sugar free cough drops at the dollar store and take 3 a night, it works. might work for you:-) i hope it does, its horrible when you cant go!
alita56 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to alita56 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-27-2016)
Unread 02-21-2014, 12:52 AM   #234
XounDi

Erm, I can share from my experience with this problem that at certain days i also get a VERY BAD constipation and when i go to the bathroom it is total hell, to put this in nice words and description i would need to spread my ... and lean forward... then pushing so hard and the same time careful and feel my anus being shredded by glass and needle points, which often would leave me bleeding and hurting to say the least ! I am trying to control my diet and intake of healthy and plenty fiber foods, sometimes i would even use a pill to soften my exhaust ... for the last week it's the exact opposite from this, and i am sort of thankful, haha.

Peace people !
XounDi is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to XounDi For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-01-2016)
Unread 02-24-2014, 12:49 AM   #235
Rossdal7

Every nite I eat a bowl of banana nut crunch cereal. I think it must be the fibre in the cereal that helps me. I know for sure there is a difference when I don't eat it.
Rossdal7 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Say Thank You to Rossdal7 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-27-2014), Thank You (04-01-2016), Thank You (02-24-2014)
Unread 08-03-2015, 01:40 AM   #236
mwcolts1

Default Constipation

I also have issues with constipation. I was much worse when I was taking pain pills, but even still while taking suboxone I still have very dry stool and sometimes it even causes me to bleed. What suggestions does everyone have to help correct this?
mwcolts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to mwcolts1 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-01-2016)
Unread 08-07-2015, 09:55 AM   #237
Jiva

Default Fiber is key

I recently raised my fiber by about 12 grams and haven't had problems with constipation since. I eat a cup of oatmeal with 1tbs of ground flax seed, dried fruit, and walnuts each morning. I had constipation bad enough to cause blood in my stool and this simple breakfast has worked perfectly.
Jiva is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Jiva For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-01-2016)
Unread 07-06-2016, 03:18 PM   #238
BodMods

My sons dermatologist introduced me to 💩 PROBIOTICS💩 In. The form of Life Way's brand of Kefir, it's made by Greek gods too. I have made several positive lifestyle changes In addition, of starting to drink the kefir!!! I garnered it will naturally regulate you, 1/2 a cup in the am, then I upped it to sub out ice cream at night, I started mixing it with Kashi Granolla, and eating it like cereal, it would keep me full through the night, I lost 60 pounds one year and kept it off, you can also mix with frozen fruit, leafy greens and make super shakes! Add the fiber powder too if you like, I promise you will find yourself sick less often too! I really hope people try this, it is the best lifestyle change I have ever made!
BodMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2016, 10:49 AM   #239
MattC42286

Hi everyone also make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids. Coffee does it for me in the morning lol. Also other things made especially for this that work wonders. Good luck to all!!
Thanks, Matt
MattC42286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2016, 01:08 PM   #240
erict84

Default Constipation

Hey guys I had struggled with that for a while I quit drinking sodas but the trick was staying active
erict84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2016, 01:09 PM   #241
erict84

And watch what you eat gotta have fiber,beans
One User Says Thank You to erict84 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-08-2016)
Unread 01-02-2017, 01:29 PM   #242
erict84

I been drinking prune juice very night before I go to bed and I find it works
One User Says Thank You to erict84 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-02-2017)
Unread 02-02-2017, 06:38 PM   #243
NewYorkAddict

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict84 View Post
Hey guys I had struggled with that for a while I quit drinking sodas but the trick was staying active
I just quit drinking soda as well. I started drinking seltzer now. I'm always craving sugar but I heard that is normal
NewYorkAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2017, 12:57 AM   #244
chubbylovin

fiber get lots of fiber
chubbylovin is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to chubbylovin For This Useful Post:
Thank You (06-16-2017)