Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 01-12-2008, 01:49 PM   #101
ConcernedMom

I don't know what the magnesium citrate stuff tastes like, but if that doesn't work, you can go to vitacost.com and order 175 mg capsules of magnesium (magnesium elemental). If you take three or four a day of the 175 mg capsules, you should get relief from your constipation. If you find that three or four a day of the 175 capsules makes you have diarrhea, then you have to cut back two two a day or one until you are normal again. My son is on sub and his alternative medicine doctor suggested magnesium for the constipation and it really helped. He was on 16 mg of sub at one time and the constipation was horrendous. Also, magnesium has a calming affect for anyone that has anxiety and is used sometimes to treat anxiety and nervousness.
ConcernedMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2008, 12:58 AM   #102
Something Vague

I've been on sub for about a year now and am down to 1mg a day. I have always been constipated but would go at least once every 2 or 3 days. In the past month I all of the sudden have been having major issues with it! I have tried absolutely everything from Colace to a 4 liter solution of Golyte from perscription. All the saline laxatives do is bring water in to your intestines and mix with the stool to try to soften it up. With those I would just release mostly water. I finally schedule a colonoscopy and had to go on a liquid diet for 3 days and drink Mag Citrate for two nights and do Fleet Phospho-Soda one night and the morning before the procedure. That seemed to clear me for the procedure, but I felt quite malnurished and drop from 155 to 140! After the exam the Dr. Said everything looked OK!? My constipation after that seemed to still be there. I went out recently and bought some Smooth Move tea after reading this site. I have been drinking it for about four nights in a row and have had some luck with it, small bowel movements. Yet my stomach still feels very full and is buldged quit a bit and is starting to hurt. All the Dr.'s Ive seen my PCP/Sub Dr., ER Dr.'s and Gastro Dr. just don't seem to help at all. I am concerned with tea because it's active ingredient is Senna! After much research I have seen where Senna is habit forming and can cause a lazy bowel. I almost feel like that is my issue at the moment because this seem to come on after about two weeks of taking the pill Sennakot.

I guess where am at with this, is I need some advice and maybe some input from others that are or have gone through this! BTW, im only 26 and can't beleive that Im having such issues with this! It has interrupted my whole life! Just when I thought things were going so well and was finally cleaning up all the loose ends my addicting caused me. It just never ends with this s**t!
Something Vague is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2008, 01:33 AM   #103
Sub-Zero

Welcome to the board. I had the same problem, try skipping a dose when you expect a BM. Drink plenty of water and take stool softeners regularly, to prevent a blockage. Also take different brand of laxatives (not together)then your body won't build a tolerance to one. Don't take your dose until after you had a BM, if you think you will that day.
congrats on 1 year!
Sub
Sub-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2008, 05:45 AM   #104
flowers

Hi Something Vague,

I think your body may be too used to your remedies and maybe changing it up a little would help.

I am on a high dose of sub (16 mgs) and I have no problem going, I think it's because #1, I drink a lot of water and #2, I eat a lot of dried figs, which I love. I get them at the organic food store, both the "Black Mission" (small black and sweet) figs and the "Calymyra" (bigger and yellow) figs. By a 'lot' I mean 5 or 6 of them at a time per day.

I started out being constipated from the sub all the time, I was always taking laxatives and enemas and colon-cleansing meds. Then I started this all organic and natural food diet in November '07 (quit all soda pop too, and I used to drink at least 2 liters of diet pop a day). And that's when I discovered these figs, and they work great!

Not to be gross, but one of my health food books says you can test how fast your colon moves, by eating a meal of BEETS, noting the day and time. You will definitely notice getting rid of them! Six to twelve hours is ideal, but a day is good, three or more days...not so good, they say add water and fiber to your diet.

Good luck to you! Sandra A.
flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2008, 01:22 PM   #105
crice

I had the same problem and I lowered my dose by just a little bit. I didn't even feel the dose change, but had movement down there. Its worth a try. Hope this helps.
crice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2008, 10:19 PM   #106
NancyB
Administrator

bump, relative to chat tonight.
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 09:21 AM   #107
hannahbanana

2 - 2 1/2 tbs. of Milk of Magnesia on an evening when you have nothing else to do. It's cheap and easy and quite like an internal enema.

I've had IBSc my whole life...so I know my ummmm...s***...LOL!!!

Seriously...If I go once a week it's a rare event. I could eat a whet field and drink a lake and nothing but major bloating would happen. I look like I'm 9 months pregnant most of the time.

Otherwise...2 stool softeners one night and then 2 more and 4 Dulcolax the next has worked.
hannahbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 12:21 AM   #108
markinScottsdale

Try Colace stool softeners and Senna Laxatives together. Take 5 and 5 (5 of each) with a large glass of water before retiring. You should find some relief in the morning. The larger the dose of opiates the worse the problem is. It may take up to 10 and 10 of these every night to maintain everything moving and clearing out each day. Also, in the AM drink some water first thing on getting up and then have a big hot cup of coffee. Drink it quickly. The heat is what stimulates the bowels to start moving. It may take a second cup of coffee and yes - you will be going to the powder room for a while.

The combo of these to are about as GENTLE as you can get. <grin>

Best of luck. Oh, and do be sure to ask your own doc about this if you're going to need it long term. Both these products are natural substances and relatively benign in terms of causing problems. And they work without the "tear your guts out "routine that most laxatives cause.
markinScottsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 11:52 AM   #109
So.Cal.

Hey There,

This is the first time ive responded to this subject,,,because i never found an answer to this problem. The only thing that worked for me was time(4yrs on sub),,it still is a problem occassionally,,but when i am at 8mgs its not a problem. For me after 4yrs at 16,,, 8 mgs is a relatively low dose.
TT
So.Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 12:04 PM   #110
sunflower1776

I had posted before, but I'll say what works for me so that you can try it. I asked at a health food store what works for opiate-induced constipation (why bother explaining what subs are). They told me the best, most efficient way was to use Aloe Vera Whole Leaf juice. You take 2 oz (60ml or 1/4 cup) of the juice and add it to whatever juice you like. I was brave in the beginning and just shot it like it was liquor--but I held my nose. I will say it doesn't taste very good, but once I started putting it in juice it was almost unable to taste it--use a strong juice though. It worked within a few days. Aloe Vera is nature's best healer, so it is very safe to drink. You can take it several times a day if wanted. I did that in the beginning also. There is an aloe vera gel as well, they said it would work even better but that it was very hard to swallow because it was very thick--I never tried it. It only cost $8.00 a bottle and the bottle, when I was takin it 2x/day lasted about 7 days. You can find it at any vitamin store or health food store. I haven't looked at a regular pharmacy. You should try it. I had told them I did not want a laxative--did not want cramping and all that. This did not cause it. It also didn't throw me too far in the opposite direction. I have a normal bm everyday or every 2 days with no problem. Ive only been on subs 2 months. I wish I had found this when I was usin opiates!!! So give it a try and let us know how it works for you so that maybe others will try it as well. Good luck

It was recommended in another post to use senna laxatives with colace. I asked the guy at store about senna (you can buy straight senna) The problem he said with this is that you cannot take it for long periods of time--he said a month at most. I had asked about it because I saw a recommendation on here about it. Also someone recommended somethin, I think it was called colon cleanse--asked about that as well but he still pointed me in the direction of Aloe Vera. The senna and colon cleanser were both over $15.
sunflower1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2008, 10:41 PM   #111
NancyB
Administrator

bumped up again. relevant to chat.
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 11-19-2008, 01:25 PM   #112
bonemanjernigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjr View Post
WHAT IS THE DEAL? I know I am not the only one who is having this problem. I have tried everything. I mean EVERYTHING. I hate to have to quit using Suboxone, but I can't take this. The only way a BM occurs is with an enema. And then it is only "marbles"
Sorry for being so blunt. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
I had the same problem and my dr. put me on 3 colace before bedtime and at least 1 gallon of water per day. I also have found that the days I don't walk at least a mile, my bm's are not as easy. Hope you get to flowing better.
bonemanjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 01:41 PM   #113
JeannieB

Default Constipation

This has been a major problem of mine for years. I now have to take something daily to go. I have spent years on the Pain Killers so I am not sure what kind of damage it has done to me. Can anymone recommend something to take. I have tried all kinds of Senna and just about everything you can think of. Nothing works for me!
JeannieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 11:02 PM   #114
kirkkat

Miralax is natural can be taken daily, I have always had a problem in this area as well
kirkkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 10:34 PM   #115
theswan

Hi

I have this issue as well. I found two products here in a New York city health store. Some drugstore chains have them too. The products are:

SWISS KRISS and TAM I perfer the TAM

Both have Senna but combined with other ingredents. I take 3-4 tablets with lots of water. I will sometimes take 5-6 tab's during the day if I'm still bound up. I also take a glycerin suppository if really jammed.

Glen AKA the swan
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2008, 12:07 AM   #116
SueT

Hi all

I have read through all the posts and have tried just about everything people have suggested except for the cleansemore. I looked it up and all the websites that sell it won't supply to Australia and our health shops don't have it either.
The only other thing I haven't tried is the magnesium citrate which I'll check in the morning at the chemist to see if they have it. I'm sure they will.
If that doesn't work then I'm going into hospital to get cleaned out as I'm so clogged up now it's not funny.

Sue
SueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2008, 08:23 PM   #117
SueT

Just an update on the constipation. This morning I bought the magnesium citrate and it came in a kit form for people having colonoscopies, so it should really clean me out. It also came with three tablets that you take as well to loosen the stools I think. I'll let you all know how it goes within a few hours.
Sue
Unread 11-28-2008, 09:08 AM   #118
debora

Default RJ

I would have a colonoscopy.. I personally have to have one within the week. I,as you could not go and when I was examined, they found a growth.. I tried everything and although somedays I would have a BM, others I would not.. It scared me enough to visit my primary Dr. whom did an exam, and found the growth...Now, I sit here worrying what it might be.. Never ending...
Good Luck..
debora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2008, 09:23 AM   #119
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Sue, just checking to see how you're doing. Hopefully everything went well. (No pun intended? )

debora, sorry to hear about the growth, when will you have the colonoscopy? Please keep us posted on what's going on. You're in my thoughts.

Nancy
Unread 12-04-2008, 05:09 AM   #120
angelkatherine

Default constipation solution and other lovely side effects

Hello There I am brand new to this suboxone forum (or any discussion forum for that matter) and after reading several postings I am already sure that this will be a good thing in my life. Little background on me, started 8mg twice a day seven months ago and now take 2mmg every other day more or less.
I am very familiar with the dreaded side effect of constipation since in addition to suboxone I also take cymbalta, which causes the same problem. There are three things I do everyday. I drink a dose to a dose and a half of Miralax (used to be by RX but now over the counter). I swallow at least three stool softeners and take a suppository laxative. I really feel the suppository laxative is the miracle part. I had to ask my doctor to prescribe it (mine is called bisacodyl 10mg) because there were no over the counter laxatives in suppository form (besides the glycerin kind that aren't that great). I hate stimulant laxative pills because they cause stomach cramps and are unpredictable. Fiber pills are hard to swallow and can often make it worse if you don't drink enough water. Miralax is really a great medicine and don't be afraid to take more than the recommended dose. Sorry if I repeated any info that was already stated.

My question for females is if anyone has stopped getting their period while taking suboxone? I have and am not sure if it is related.

My other question is if others have experienced panic attacks during the first week or two on suboxone? Thanks for any info
angelkatherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2008, 06:10 AM   #121
SueT

Hi all

Well I have finally had some success. The kit for the colonoscopy didn't do a thing so I became really scared and went to the doctor. He couldn't believe the kit didn't do a thing not even make my stomach rumble. Anyway he was going to arrange for an anema but it couldn't be done for 2 days so he said in the meantime to try movicol which he wrote a script for. I didn't expect it to work though. He said take 3 sachets for a day then if nothing the second day put 8 sachets in a litre of water and drink over 3 hours. Well combined with heaps of water and pear juice it worked! It's been 6 days now and I'm having a motion every day. I'm keeping a note book with what I take every day because I have to try to figure out how much is the movicol and how much is pear juice and water. Yesterday I just took the 2 sachets of movicol and no pear juice and I went but it was harder, so today I added 2 glasses of pear juice and today it was fine. I'm just so relieved I really thought I was going to end up in hospital.

Sue
Unread 12-04-2008, 09:45 AM   #122
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Sue, glad you found something that works for you. Thank you for passing that information along.

Hi angelkatherine and welcome. Thank you for your constipation remedy also. As for not getting your period, here's a thread that has a link to another thread about it. It doesn't seem to be that unusual:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=19744

As for the panic attacks, some people have gotten those also. Oftentimes when people start Suboxone, things surface that were masked by full agonist opioid misuse – such as anxiety, depression, etc. Have you spoken with your doctor about it? Or if you see a therapist, that might be something good to address also.

Again, welcome!

Nancy
Unread 12-24-2008, 11:49 AM   #123
bb19067

My wife had baaaad constipation. She is a gastric bypass patient and is on full agonist opioid treatment, so she's got a double whammy in the constipation department. Here's the ritual that works.

- Miralax twice daily, once in the AM, once in the PM.
- Take 2 stool softener caplets at each meal.
- Drink 8-10 8 ounce glasses of WATER daily. Not vitamin or flavored water. Watch out for tonic water which has quinine in it.. quinine can cause heart palpataions.
- Every serving of cheese needs to be offset by an EXTRA glass of water.
- For at least one water drink 8 oz of apple juice or 6-8 oz Cheese.
- Raisin Bran 1 to 2x per day.
- 3 servings green vegetables (avoid peas and corn. They are starches. You want fiber).

If the above doesn't produce regularity for you, add another glass of apple juice in to the mix after 3 days.

Still not there? Pull out all the stops and add several "benefiber" pills or the fiber drinks into the mix.

If at this point you aren't regular, something is wrong and you should see a gastrointerologist.

Once this routine produces regularity, you can start backing off a few things. The stool softeners can go, then the fiber drinks, and then the miralax. You basically want to back off any non-food solutions. Miralax is very gentle and safe for long term use, provided you have no medical issues or underlying problems.... that's why they have a seven day disclaimer on their package.

Once you've got the pipes opened up, staying on top of fluids and eating high fibers should offset the effects of the opioids. If you do find yourself constipated again, start adding back the miralax then the stool softeners and then the fiber drinks.

OTC laxatives are waaay harsh and should be avoided like the plague!!

You might want to consider going and getting a colonic if all else fails. Try googling to find a local spa or facility. If you have too much putrified stool blocking the path, you risk a bowel perforation and your attempts at regularity will be frustrating. Enemas can't get high enough into the colon to do an effective cleanse.

If you have any GI issues (diverticulitis, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, etc.) be sure to see a gastrointerologist.

I would avoid a medication cleanse or the internet "7 day cleanse" regimes. Most of them have been widely discredited, and some of them are dangerous.

Good luck. Hope this helps.
bb19067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2008, 11:51 AM   #124
bb19067

Type-o in my post above. THe apple juice line should be "6-8 oz Apple Sauce" not cheese.
bb19067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2009, 11:24 PM   #125
dinodommeducci

Default heres what works for me

Quote:
WHAT IS THE DEAL? I know I am not the only one who is having this problem. I have tried everything. I mean EVERYTHING. I hate to have to quit using Suboxone, but I can't take this. The only way a BM occurs is with an enema. And then it is only "marbles"
Sorry for being so blunt. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
go to the store and buy prune jiuce and drink it very hot!!!!! drink one cup in the morning or every time you eat and you wont have any problems anymore. but you have to drink it hot!!!!
also if you take Miralax everyonther day it will make you regular!
this was my biggest problem..ive made myself go into withdrawls from pushing so hard!!! one day i talked to my dad and he told me this and it was like god was answering my prayers!!!!
dinodommeducci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2009, 11:27 PM   #126
dinodommeducci

all that other stuff does not work its a awaste of time!!! prune juice as hot as you can stand it my friend....thats all you need!
dinodommeducci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2009, 01:18 AM   #127
MarbleTulip

Yeah, this consitipation really sucks. It's way worse on sub, than on my "other" opiates. The fun ones. I was feeling really sick yesterday, awful. Then I realized that I didn't have a BM in like 3 days. Finally was able to go, it was a bleeding one, really gross and painful, but I did feel better.
MarbleTulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2009, 03:12 PM   #128
miket68

Default Constipation

What REALLY works for me is to get a bottle of "Magnesium Citrate". You can get at any pharmacy,Wal Mart,etc..If you can get the flavored kind, een it is not to pleasant to drink. Just look by the laxatives. It is in a 10 oz blass bottle. It ALWAYS works for me. The pain killers always had me constipated,so I used when I needed. It is under $2 a bottle, but if you have to go to work or cant be close to a bathroom. Then wait till you can,because when it breaks it up, it is coming out! It always works overnight, usually works for me in 4 to 6 hours. Good luck,hope I helped you out.
miket68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2009, 06:46 PM   #129
nursejoan

I have a sure fire way to make you go. I have never had someone say this did,not work i am a nurse and when working in a nursing home on many occasions we had some residents not be able to go we gave them everything from MoM to enemas but what worked best was 30 ml of Mom in a med cup size of Prune juice and the most important part was you had to heat it up. you usually go within 2 hrs good luck and let me know if this works for anybody!
nursejoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2009, 09:42 PM   #130
theswan

$2 A BOTTLE!

I pay $1 at the local dollar store-Na-na-na-na-na-Naaah!

Haa-haa! No, all kidding aside and I know this issue has a lot of laughs BEHIND it (get it?) but the citrate does work for me. for some odd reason, I hate taking a liquid for this problem. Darn stuff works pretty good. I also don't like the Miralax for that reason. Miralax did not even work for me although I just gave it another try a few minutes ago.

Constipation is really not funny as when I do finally go after a two day absense of movement, it is really tough to pass. I think about Elvis and the rumor that he died on "The Throne". I can see how just by the amount of strain I employ (not to be too graphic).

Anyway, I agree about changing up the type of laxatives. I know of a friend who took enormous amounts of Ex-Lax, I mean like sixty pills a day! Now this person has no ability to pass without the aid of enemas. Very sad indeed.

So keep the advice coming. The vegatables and water advice is always sound. My issue is the cost of fresh food is very high. No wonder there is so much obesity in the poor. Starchy food is cheap Ie. flour, rice and pasta.

Anyway getting off topic so take care,

Glen
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #131
steffaroni

Hi...

With regards to constipation....Senna, water, etc magnesium citrate enemas....ugggg... There are so many treatments for constipation and my husband has tried them all. BUT what works best for him and has kept him going a few times a day is a medication called lactulose. It is a med that you drink it is sweet thick n has the viscosity of motor oil but works wonders for him. When taken as prescribed on a daily basis, it has been the BEST med for constipation for my husband. Hadn't read about it here so thought I'd throw it out there. But don't take more than prescribed please or you will be in the bathroom all day. But if taken consistently and on a daily basis your constipation will be in check. (((HUGS))) Steff
steffaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2009, 11:33 AM   #132
steffaroni

Oh yea and Kerns Pear nectar and tons of water.
steffaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 09:26 PM   #133
jennp

Quote:
Try Green Vibrance its a powder u get from the health food store take a scoop in OJ every day and in a couple days u will start to go...........it a mixture of organic probiotics.............u must go or the toxins continue to build up in ur systems over loading other organs............it works........try it.
jennp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 06:56 PM   #134
SueT

Hi all

I posted awhile ago about having trouble with constipation. I have finally figured out what works for me and now I don't have trouble at all, so long as I follow the routine.

First is a huge warm glass of water in the moring followed by a sachet of Movicol. Then throughout the day I need to drink six glasses of pear juice and take another sachet of Movicol. Also I must drink around 7 glasses of water each day. Also included is two bananas.

With the combination I am going every day which is better than I have ever been. I used to only go every 3rd day!

Good luck everyone
Sue
One User Says Thank You to SueT For This Useful Post:
Thank You (02-23-2009)
Unread 02-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #135
Beinok

Hi everyone,
I'm so happy to see this issue actually being discussed! This has been a huge problem for me, however nothing (and I really do mean nothing!) will stop me from using Suboxone. It is too life saving for me. I have found that fiber is the key for myself. It must be the bulk forming type (psyllium), but it really turned things around. I tried all the meds out there for constipation (including a drug called "lactulose" that pharmacist said was the newest and most advanced drug on the market). None of these things worked. I began making smoothies. The combo of fruits and added fiber did the trick. Now that it's winter, I have stopped making so many and I am paying for it. So, cold or not, it's back to smoothies! Good luck everyone.
Beinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #136
bigchz

I read on here awhile back about a new rx drug that was hitting the market (or had already hit the market) which prevented constipation from opiates altogether. Does anybody know what the drug I am referencing is called? Thank you!
bigchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 03:08 PM   #137
NancyB
Administrator

Hi bigchz, is this thread you were thinking of, about Relistor?

http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=17786

I just checked and it looks like it was approved last April.

http://www.wyeth.com/hcp/relistor/home
From that: "RELISTOR is indicated for the treatment of opioid-induced constipation in patients with advanced illness who are receiving palliative are, when response to laxative therapy has not been sufficient. Use of RELISTOR beyond 4 months has not been studied."

Hope that's it.

Nancy
Unread 02-25-2009, 05:16 PM   #138
mzshelli

i have a very similar prob....., but i only have a BM about 1 to 2 times a week and honestly bluntly speaking My Bm is so LARGE!!!! it takes me a hour or more to get it out and then i rip and tear it is the most painful experience i feel as though i am having another child (LOL),.... but i have found that dulcalax works ok and i order this colon cleanse off the net call total cleanse that is slowly helping clean my colon out and makes it a smidge easier to push out my ENORMOUS!! BM

*Michelle*
mzshelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 06:05 PM   #139
roadworkky

God this is so disgusting, but I guess its a fact of suboxone! I am having ahuge problem w/ this....been drinkinglots of water and started sena S yesterday and again this morning...lots more water today and still nothing. Its been like a long time for me. So just now I tried that warm prune juice and milk of magnesia .......god I hope this works and quick! Still doing great on the medicine though...I feel soooooo good. Its truly amazing.....from 400mg of oxycontin - 4 times per week to 4 little ora nge pills per day. AMAZING!!!!
roadworkky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2009, 08:47 AM   #140
NancyB
Administrator

Hi roadworkky, how'd that prune juice/MOM work for you? Hope you got some relief!

Nancy
Unread 02-26-2009, 09:16 AM   #141
roadworkky

IT worked.....and worked.....and worked some more! Thanks Nancy!
roadworkky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2009, 09:32 AM   #142
NancyB
Administrator

Woo hoo!! Phew, I guess the taste was worth it then. lol

Nancy
Unread 02-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #143
OhioMike

LOL ............... When I was at my constipation peek what worked for me was this. Very high fiber diet and simply a light diet in general. Lot's of soups, veggies and fruits. Prune juice with a little mineral oil helped as well. But we each may have our own poop trigger if we just search for it or think back about our past. Mine was as follows. Starbucks Carmel Machiato, with whipped cream and extra, extra carmel sauce. After a couple of large ones, well it's whipped chocolate pudding in the toilet bowl. In fact it works so well I am going to contact them about doing a public service announcement for them!

Glad to hear you have good flow again! Keep up the good work and Happy Melting!
OhioMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 08:17 PM   #144
peanut

Well I must say I am glad I am not the only one!! After years of taking Norco daily and never experiencing this problem it was the least on my mind of a side effect! After days I finally had one horrible experience and swore I would never allow that to happen again!! I have been taking miralax and that has helped a lot!!!!!!!
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #145
momofcjk3

Default expected side effects of Suboxone????

Now from reading some of the replies etc. in this "side effects" area, I understand that constipation is an expected side effect of taking Suboxone. For what it has done for me, I can live with it and take measures to treat and then prevent it in the future! THANKS!!! Now for my other issue. What about insomnia? How long, and to what severity?
I would appreciate an honest anwer.
Thanks,

Momofcjk3
momofcjk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #146
Drtysouth

I didn't read all three pages of this but i have a answer, Miralax! Its used to be prescription only but is now OTC and you mix it with any drink once a day and it make it MUCH easier to do the business.
Drtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 11:28 AM   #147
Sub-Zero

I second the miralax recommendation, it works great! It is a stool softener so you might still have to add a laxative occasionally, but those two together can solve the constipation problem at any dose of sub. Go to Sam's Club or Costco's or whatever warehouse store you have near you so you can get volume discounts, because you'll be using it a lot.
Sub
Sub-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2009, 06:48 PM   #148
RemissionRocks

I'm still tellin you guys...Cleanse More by Renew Life www.renewlife.com works like a dream.......
RemissionRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2009, 08:16 AM   #149
Christine65

I had been having this problem for a couple of weeks when I started Sub last week. I have even woke up vomiting twice because I believe the food was leaving the body through the path of least resistance.

So Tuesday night I took 3 Exlax pills. Nothing. I took 4 more yesterday (Wednesday). Nothing.

I decided to go to earthclinic.com (a great natural remedy site) to find out what to do. What I found was overwhelming support for magnesium sulfate, better known as Epson Salt. I thought, "Hey, I have some of that!" So I went and dug the box out from under the bathroom sink, and prepared it according to the directions on the box. It said to mix 2-4 teaspoons with an 8-oz. glass of warm water. I opted for the 4 teaspoons.

Now this is nasty stuff. Don't breathe when you're drinking it, and drink it as fast as possible. It tastes like poison (or what you'd think poison would taste like).

My stomach started rumbling a little about an hour later. At 4 a.m. this morning (Thursday) I was up and on the toilet. I know this is gross, but I just about filled up that toilet. I was almost afraid to flush.

I just feel so relieved. I had tried everything before resorting to Exlax, and when not even that worked, I had started getting scared. On the box of Epsom Salt, it said, "If this does not produce a bowel movement, please consult your doctor." I guess that means you're "up shit creek" if that stuff can't make you go.
Christine65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2009, 01:15 PM   #150
FreshStart

Ok, I saw this thread and it reminded me that Ive been wanting to ask about this. I am a 14 month suboxone patient and opiate free from literally the very 1st sub I took. I am also a 14 month constipation sufferer. Just like most of you I consulted the forum for info. I found out this was normal and pretty much unavoidable. I also talked to my doctor about it and he prescribed me magnesium citrate. I had no idea what it was but took his directions and drank a bottle. Well as most of you that have had magnesium citrate know all to well I was pretty much bathroom bound for a couple days since I was clearing literally weeks of #2. I then started taking stool softeners regularly to help. Now Ive gotten conflicting info from my sub doctor and another doctor I spoke to about the constipation. My sub doctor said that the constipation is temporary and I should have gone back to regular BM by now. Well 14 months in and I haven't. Thats why I consulated another doctor about it. He said that its pretty much never becomes "normal" because the med slows down your GI tract. And that I should continue the stool softeners and magnesium citrate as long as Im on it. Granted my sub doctor just got his sub licence and training weeks before I was prescribed them from him. So I dont know how much actual patient experience he was basing his constipation diagnosis on. Now my BM's are much better now than they were in the beginning, but still not "normal". So what about you other long term sub takers? Are you still not "normal" after a year or more?
FreshStart is offline   Reply With Quote