Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 10-07-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
ctb572

Default How do you feel in the morning?

I have currently been on Suboxone now for about 3 weeks. I am currently on 12 Mgs daily. I made the switch from Methadone to Suboxone from 39 Mgs. I still wake up in the morning and feel pretty horrible until I take the Suboxone. Is this something that goes away once your body is fully stablized on the Suboxone? Or is this just one of the side effects that we all go through? I mean granted most never feel to great in the morning anyway but I figured it was def the Suboxone bc I always feel better afterwards.

I def dont know much about Suboxone. Any help is appreciated.
ctb572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2009, 08:31 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi ctb572, can you explain more how you feel? What dose of methadone did you transfer from, and how long have you been at 12mg?

Thanks!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
ctb572

My last dose of methadone was on the 14th of September at 39 Mgs. 3 days later I started at 16 mgs a day of sub. Then after about a week I went to 12 mgs and I have been there since. So about 2 and a half weeks at 12 mgs. When i first started there was about 2 weeks where I was barely able to move in the morning until I took my Suboxone. Now its a little better but I still feel like im in some sort of WD state when I wake up in the morning. That goes away once I am about 1/2 done with letting it dissolve under the tongue. I guess im the only one who feels like this? Nobody else feels like that in the morning? Am i on too low of a dose...I know methadone is a very very powerful drug that stays in your system for like 5-6 weeks. Perhaps its that?

Last edited by ctb572; 10-07-2009 at 03:04 PM..
Unread 10-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
TIM

Your symptoms are consistent with dosing too low. But switching from methadone is tougher than from short acting opiates. There will be symptoms like depression and lethargy and disphoria that usually clear up after 2 weeks but can last longer. Check your pupils when you feel withdrawal, if they are very large in normal light it is another sign that your dose is too low. However if your pupils are pinned, the symptoms are not from withdrawal and an increased dose may not help. Good luck and congratulations!
Tim

Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. Voluntary Disclosure: Timothy L. is the President of The National Alliance of Advocates for Buprenorphine treatment. (NAABT.org) The views and opinions of Timothy L., or any poster, are not necessarily the views of AddictionSurvivors.org. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider Any information you read here should only serve to inspire you to investigate further with credible, verifiable referenced sources or your doctor.
TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2009, 03:18 PM   #5
NancyB
Administrator

Hi ctb572, it's hard to say what it is - the methadone or too low of a dose. Was there a particular reason that you went to 12mg so quickly after starting? I'm wondering if you just tried 16mg again if it would make a difference. The halflife of Suboxone is around 37 hours, so if you're in WDs when you wake up, you might benefit from a higher dose, at least for the time being.

Does that make sense?

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
ctb572

First of all, thanks. What you have both said makes perfect sense. The reason I started going down so fast was because of the price of the medicine. to pay 390 for 60 pills or try to make it to 8mg and pay for 30 pills is a big difference when you dont have insurance. I have recently gotten insurance this past month just because of this medication. So I guess your right I should check myself in the morning to see what my eyes are like and I will take it from there. If i need to be on 16mg,,, i need to be on 16mg...atleast for the time being until my body is stabilized and then I can take it from there right? The reason I started this thread was to find this stuff out. I was very curious if other people felt pretty horrible in the morning.

once again thanks!
Unread 10-09-2009, 05:42 AM   #7
Gavin111

i think your dose is to low. 39mgs of meth is a good bit and i would expect to see you transfer to around 24+mgs of suboxone. the half life is over 24 hours so if your dose is right you definatly shouldnt feel crappy in the am like some people do on methadone until they dose
Gavin111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2009, 08:03 AM   #8
chnmnny

Hi and welcme

I just typed a lenghty response to your post, but since I did not save it in word lost it.

The gist being you will get several peoples opinions and experiences here.

Although this is a great forum for support, most of us are laymen here, Nancy and Tim can provide you with all the facts and where to access them.

I hope you are consulting with your md and not making any dose adjustments on your own. Sub is a very powerful drug.

I hope you also have a recovery plan in place, as IMO I find that that is essential.

Good luck and look forward to seeing you on these boards.

Steve
chnmnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2009, 08:36 AM   #9
chnmnny

Hi Gavin

I was wondering where the number 24+ came up from 12mgs.

I'm not being confrontational, or want to come across harsh, I was wondering if this was an experience you had?

I just think we need to be careful what we put out there, as there are so many new persons coming to this board daily looking for information, and my concern is if we have info to give , is it factual or our own experience.

Being on bupe for relatively a period of time, i have found it a very strong helpful tool which needs to be respected.

Steve
chnmnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2009, 11:28 PM   #10
DARKEYES

I went on Suboxene after being "fee" toxed from Mg to 0 in eleven days, I am on Mg's once in the morning and when I wake up I usually feel pretty good. I try to take my meds at the same time every day, but when I am so tired that I fall out from sheer exhaustion, it sometimes is later, but I still feel pretty good but I've only been on for fifteen days at this time. No one should ever have to put their bodies through being "fee" toxed like that EVER. In fact in the state of PA it is not legal, but the clinics could care less, their all about $$$$$
Good Luck an keep us posted (no pun intended)
Unread 10-09-2009, 11:30 PM   #11
MicheleJ

What is a "fee" tox? Sorry if I sound stupid.
Unread 10-10-2009, 06:16 AM   #12
Gavin111

Quote:
Originally Posted by chnmnny View Post
Hi Gavin

I was wondering where the number 24+ came up from 12mgs.

I'm not being confrontational, or want to come across harsh, I was wondering if this was an experience you had?

I just think we need to be careful what we put out there, as there are so many new persons coming to this board daily looking for information, and my concern is if we have info to give , is it factual or our own experience.

Being on bupe for relatively a period of time, i have found it a very strong helpful tool which needs to be respected.

Steve
obviously the majority of advice on this board is opinions and should be taken as that. 24mgs was just my opinion since he transfered from a dose of methadone higher then the 30mgs min. reccomended
Gavin111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2009, 09:17 AM   #13
DARKEYES

Exclamation

MicheleJ,
You ARE NOT STUPID, a "fee" tox is being detoxed from a clinic because you get behind on your payments. Pennsylvania has some of the highest fees for pay clinics they range from 95 to 100 dollars a week. I had some money saved, enough for me to successfully detox and my niece of 23, and my godchild died from an overdose. My sister had no money to bury her, and being Italian they have to go all out you know three days blah blah. So I payed for the funeral, everything including the luncheon. It wiped me out and I'm not a money person and don't expect my sister to pay me back, even if she tried I would not take it. I did what I had to do for that child, I tried to help her but she wasn't ready. anyhow, I got behind and the clinic took me down to fast and I went into severe wd's after about 8 days of nothing. Needless to say I was quite lucky to have found this site and get matched with a doctor who took me right away. I thank God everyday for finding this forum, the people and I still have so much to learn. Please don't ever call yourself stupid, your not, there are always things to learn. Peace and be safe.
Unread 10-10-2009, 01:42 PM   #14
ctb572

Hey all,

Thanks for the responses. I agree I should've probably been on a higher dose and my doctor at the time said the same thing. He said he expected me to be comfortable at around 24-32 and was suprised I was ok at the 16. I basically went down in mgs because of the price of Suboxone and I wasn't insured at the time. Basically I take 8mg in the morning and 4mg at like 4-5 in the afternoon. I feel fine during the day and sleep fine to 7:30am-8:00. Then I wake up ...almost seems like im woken up by feeling bad. Then I dose right away and im fine. So i dunno I just keep hoping that I can force my body to feel ok on 12mg. It should come eventually right?

Other then that the only other problem im having is losing weight...but thats a whole other story. I feel like the methadone is still in my body or something i dunno.
Unread 10-12-2009, 07:05 PM   #15
Christine0120

My new Sub Dr says that 16mg should be the minimum dose for the first year, because 16 covers all the receptors. A lower dose doesn't completely protect you early in recovery.
I would talk to your Dr about upping your dose.
Unread 10-13-2009, 01:10 PM   #16
deanna

Hi Christine- Do you mean your doctor wants you to take at least 16mg a day for the entire first year? Just curious, or if I read that wrong. Thanks! Deanna
deanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #17
ctb572

Quote:
My new Sub Dr says that 16mg should be the minimum dose for the first year, because 16 covers all the receptors. A lower dose doesn't completely protect you early in recovery.
I would talk to your Dr about upping your dose.
Thats pretty interesting. Did your doctor really say that? Thats the first i have heard anything like that. If he did say that I wonder where he got that info from...lol other then being a doctor him/herself. But as im sure we know from reading around about suboxone and doctors is that they can be tricky to find one in the know.
Unread 10-14-2009, 04:51 PM   #18
obef

I had read years ago that full "blocking" effect is at 16mg which would probably be one of the reasons why doctors would consider it the best dose for the first year.

IME, I find that to be true in theory and in practice.
Although, when you take it for a while -- considering its halflife --- you are going to reach 16mg at some point even if you don't take 16 mg. daily unless you are on a low dose.
obef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #19
Snoflake

I started taking 12mg/day 8 in the morning and 4 in the evening. It was rediculously hard to wake up in the morning! I woke up with a terrible headache and I did not even want to open my eyes! It was rough! I decided I might be taking too much so I went down to just 8mg/day ( i didnt take an evening dose) and that worked much better when it came to allowing me to get my behind outa bed!! Having to go to Opiate Group 2x/wk at 8:30am is hell when you feel like you can't get outa bed!!
Snoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #20
delima

i've been taking close to 4mg for about 4 years and every morning is fukin hell.

so yea get used to it. theres a couple issues that aren't helping but a lot of them are related to the sub or drugs in pass.
delima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #21
Renee01

That's the craziest thing I heard about 16mgs "covering all your receptors." Good Lord, there is so much mis-information out there, it's downright scary! Thank God he didn't say 32mgs was the magic number, we'd all be screwed!
Our bodies react so differently to medication that we can't put a number on anybody. This is where patience and eduction and paying attention to our bodies comes in. It would be nice if there was a universal number for all us of, but that just simply isn't the case.
Renee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to Renee01 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (07-08-2013), Thank You (09-09-2012)
Unread 10-09-2012, 12:30 AM   #22
anabolic1979

i always have felt really groggy since starting subs 7 years ago. The lower my daily dose the less pronounced it is but its always there for me atleast. ive talked to alot of others who have the same issues like trouble getting up, just being out of it for a couple hours after i get up. I have taken high doses, low doses and everywhere in between on suboxone and now subutex and i feel like the less you need the better you will feel so don't take more than you need and if you can tapper off without being on subs for long then do it. Dont make the mistake i did and listen to a doctor who didnt know what he was taking about and end up stuck on this stuff..
anabolic1979 is offline   Reply With Quote