Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 09-23-2009, 11:22 PM   #1
Christine0120

Default No Sex Drive?

I have been on sub almost a month now and I have absolutley no desire for sex. I have not had relations with my husband at all since starting it. This side effect is causing harm to my marriage. What do I do about it???

Please HELP!
Thank you,
Christine
Christine0120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 08:14 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Christine, if you do a search for Sex Drive or libido, you'll find tons of threads and posts about it. It's a common side effect with opiates in general, and people have found that as they stabilize and then lower their dose it gets better. You're also under a lot of stress with your husband's drinking, so that can't be helping either.

Here are a few threads:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=21604
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=19713

This one has a bunch of other links in it too:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=21090

Talk with your therapist about it, and maybe she'll have some input too.

I hope this helps!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
MEski-1969

I have seen my libido decrease substantially ever since I got hooked onto PK's.
I am also prescribed Wellbutrin and that doesn't help matters either.
During my physical exam a month ago I asked to have my testoserone level checked and sure enough it came out low. I go in for a follow up in November and will have it rechecked then and from there we shall see.
I do feel my libido has come back some since going onto Suboxone (vs Oxy & Hydro), but it still has a ways to go till I am back to my old horny self.
MEski-1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
Christine0120

Nancy-my therapist is not thrilled that I am on Suboxone...But I go to see my new Dr Monday!

LOL MEski! I was a horn-dog too!
Unread 09-24-2009, 06:55 PM   #5
dawnny

Christine, my sex drive sucks too, but i am also going through my change of life, its almost been a year since i last got my period, and i know that can do it to. Even though you dont want it, you have to keep him happy too, i went through the same thing. Even though your not in the mood, sometimes we have to, to make them happy, men are different,they need it all the time. I hope all the guys dont kill me. We still fight about it, and i tell him read litature on the change of life and maybe you will understand, mine is probably the sub and menopause.
dawnny is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to dawnny For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-03-2011)
Unread 09-29-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
Christine0120

Gonnadothis~Are you aware that Ambien is also an opiate? Thought you might want to know...
I actually had a sucessful event with my husband recently! YAHOO!
Unread 09-29-2009, 09:04 PM   #7
NancyB
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine0120 View Post
Gonnadothis~Are you aware that Ambien is also an opiate? Thought you might want to know...
I actually had a sucessful event with my husband recently! YAHOO!
Hi Christine0120, Ambien isn't an opiate. It's in the sedative-hypnotic class.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...s/a693025.html

Just wanted to clear that up.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
Sweet L

Christine0121,
I am the wife of a heroin abuser and i am on the opposite side of your sex drive issue.I want to give addvice and receive some.I want you to know that right now you have to take care of you and it is frustrating to deal with on the other side but your mate needs to realize one important thing and that is the cause is not him. Reasure him that because it causes confusion in our minds at times.This won't be forever and im sure that you don't want a decreased sex drive.You are getting help for you and he needs to realize that as well.Focus on your treatment and just reasure its important but don,t stress yourself over it and compromise yourself.Now my question of reasurrance for me is.....Do you not want or think about sex at all?just asking because i can support my husband better and reasure myself as well ,which he has done but asking you too!thanx and good luck.don't beat yourself up about it.Sex isn't the most important thing that doesn't make up a whole relationship it is the support,love and commitment between the two of you.Right now stroke him emotionally more and see if that helps.
Sweet L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
Christine0120

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyB View Post
Hi Christine0120, Ambien isn't an opiate. It's in the sedative-hypnotic class.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...s/a693025.html

Just wanted to clear that up.

Nancy
Nancy~I apologize! I read that it was on-line.
Unread 10-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #10
dawnny

I didnt think so either, that ambian was an opiate, because my docter perscribed it to me too. I didnt know ambian increased your sex drive though. Thats good to know, I havnt taken that in a couple of months now, I will have to try that agan. Christine I'm glad you had sex. Its a hard time in your life right now, so dont worry so much about it, you have alot on your plate with recovery. so just relax
Unread 10-01-2009, 01:39 PM   #11
Sweet L

Question gonnadothis

I have a question for you and i hope that you can help me.My husband is 10 yrs clean(heroin)but relapsed a month ago,we went to Dr. monday and before leaving office was given 6 mg of sub and only needed one more later in the evening.Is that a small amount of sub?Yesturday he only required 6 mgs all day and felt fine,today did not take any so far and says he feels fine and thinks he doesn't need it anymore being as though he hasn't been using long and the quanity of use was not alot.We see the Dr. tomorrow and will dicuss with him .My question to you is with that amount of dosing do you think it is possible to stop taking sub?how long does it stay in your system before experiencing withdraw?Weare starting counseling monday.What is your advice on this. thanx
Sweet L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 04:28 PM   #12
MEski-1969

Sweet L, if I recall Sub has a half life of 32hours so it may take some time for your husband to feel it's effects wear off.
Jim
MEski-1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to MEski-1969 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (10-01-2009)
Unread 10-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #13
thebadbambino

Sorry to use your thread to answer another persons question. Since the sub has a long half life "Sweet L" your husband probable feels fine. In a day or two he may not, but, since he only used for a short while he should be able to get a few subs and taper them. In detox you get 8mg one day then another 8mg the next then 4mg and your done.
As far as christine0120goes I'm just the opposite. When I go on suboxone my sex drive is out of control. I'm a male though and females hormones are very different.
thebadbambino is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to thebadbambino For This Useful Post:
Thank You (10-02-2009)
Unread 10-03-2009, 09:57 PM   #14
Jamesisdone

That is not the protocol for ALL inpatient detox facilities. Sweet L please allow nancy or tim to take this queston. Or call the here to help line. Nancy has the #.
Goodluck!
Jamesisdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 10:53 PM   #15
OhioMike

Quote:
In detox you get 8mg one day then another 8mg the next then 4mg and your done.
This may be true with the treatment center(s) which you are familiar with, however, it does not hold true across the board, as it varies greatly from facility to facility and doctor to doctor.

Mike
Unread 10-03-2009, 11:20 PM   #16
OhioMike

Hi Christine .................. I have not read this entire thread, so, if I repeat something already shared, please excuse me.

I cannot offer any suggestions on medications, as I am not familiar with the ones available for women, however, I can offer other suggestions and opinions.

I wish I could find a couple of old threads which were really very, very good about what I am going to comment on, as it offer both the male and female perspectives.

Anyway, to make this short, we need to learn to focus more on romance more! For get about sexual arousal and sex it's self and focus on romance and simply feeling good in general.

Cuddling, holding hands, massages, facials, light exploration without foreplay and so on. From there let the stimulation and desire build. Think out of the box, try things which you may have thought of, but, never mentioned. Now is the time to mention them.

Naturally your partner has to be on the same page here and very understanding of your situation and that your lack of desire or stimulation is not because of him. Further, you both need to look at this as a golden opportunity to open new doors in your relationship and of a way to grow together in a new way.

Well that is my opinion and if it is too forward or direct, I apologize, but, I know of no other way to explain it. Also speak to your doctor and do not be afraid to try medication therapy which might help, but, please don't close the door on this new opportunity of couple growth even if the medication answers the problem, personally I think we cheat ourselves if we do that.

Mike
Unread 10-03-2009, 11:43 PM   #17
BlueSkribbles

Default Phew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnny View Post
Christine, my sex drive sucks too, but i am also going through my change of life, its almost been a year since i last got my period, and i know that can do it to.
I NEVER get my period (and a drive for sex either - but I already knew why) but I'm glad to hear someone besides me has that problem too. For some reason I never made the connection, but it makes sense now - thanks!

But hang in there, Christine! I didn't have a sex drive for a loooong time, but it slowly came back! And look at it this way - it's a HUGE motivation to get better, stay sober, and eventually get off of subs! Good Luck! <3
BlueSkribbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2009, 09:47 AM   #18
dawnny

christine, mike had great suggestions. we do have to just relax,and try to enjoy each other again. we are going through alot of changes but if we just relax and not think of anything, no telling what can happen. me with my change of life, its not easy, I am always getting hot flashes, and they are terrible, but I have to learn to relax too. I think thats the key. My husband rubs my feet, that really helps me to relax, try it, its great. Hope things get better for you, and all that is having the same problem