Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 11-11-2008, 11:24 PM   #1
sunflower1776

Default muscle spasms/twitches

When I was taking my oxys I would get muscle spasms all over my body periodically each night, adn they increased in number when I took higher doses. I'm on suboxone now and have been for about a month. I'm noticing tonight, or rather I've known it but just really thought about it tonight, that I am still having twitches/spasms. It's like I'm hyperreflexive also--when I walk through my living room the cord is hanging down from the overhead fan, if it lightly bumps my head I have a bigger reaction to it than most peole (make sense?). I'm just wondering what is causing this. The only way I would think it's the subs causing it is because of the interaction with the opiate receptors in a way similar to what my oxys did--could my opiate receptors be overly sensitive and a little touchy? Any suggestions or thoughts greatly appreciate.
sunflower1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2008, 11:45 PM   #2
Jdrelieved

Default Me too!

I get the same spasms when falling asleep. It really annoys me. My husband has also noticed them bc they will wake him up periodically. (He falls asleep faster than I do most nights.)

JD
Jdrelieved is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2008, 11:59 PM   #3
sunflower1776

Hey jd--this isn't happening when I'm falling asleep--it's when I'm awake. I could be sitting watching tv and twitch. Rarely is it when I'm falling asleep though I know what you are talking about. Any other thoughts??

Also, I can't seem to stay on this board tonight--keeps telling me its busy so I'm making this reply a 2 in 1.
I don't know why that web link showed up in my thread posting--I posted the same question on another site and used a smiley from there, so maybe that is why since I copy/pasted. Anyway, thread didn't give me a chance to edit so it has to stay in there. Please disregard the link but please regard the message!!
Unread 11-12-2008, 12:08 AM   #4
Done

Sunflower

I dont know if this is it or not, but when i stopped taking xanax (which you are not supposed to do CT) I would be sitting here watching TV and all of the sudden my leg will just jump? Other times its my whole body? I dont know if that is the same or not. It lasted a week or two then it was gone. (anyway i thought it was due to stopping xanax)

When are you seeing your Dr? Please tell him about the strange things you have been experiencing.
Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2008, 12:11 AM   #5
OhioMike

Sunflower,

I have experienced both and still do, only not nearly as often. I feel it is related to opiates in general and that includes Sub. However, check with the doctor to make sure that other things are also not going on as well. It could be a combination of more than one thing!

Part of my problem is also nerve issues in my lower back. But, other symptoms are related to opiate use as well. You may not have any never issues, but, it could still also be other things playing a part as well. It is worth making sure.

Mike
OhioMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2008, 03:22 AM   #6
Jdrelieved

You have me curious now too. I will research it more and let you know what I find out.

JD
Jdrelieved is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2008, 12:45 PM   #7
rag-doll

I never had twitches or anything like what you are describing while using my DOC, but when I first started subs, I had some weird thing going on. It only happened after I got in bed and was drifting off to sleep. I would suddnely jerk my arms or legs in al different directions. One night I hit my husband rather hard, and one night I slapped myself right in the face. But that only lasted for a few weeks, and now I never have that problem. Also, as was discussed in some previous posts, the worst side effect was the profuse sweating! But in the last 2 weeks, that has almost completely disappeared. I sweat a lot when I was using my drug of choice, but it never went away.
rag-doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2008, 02:19 PM   #8
azg2b

The twitches happened to me as well early on - so much so that it led me to make an appointment with a neurologist. We were concerned it had something to do with an over-active thyroid gland. We ran several tests but they came back negative.

So I concluded (without any real professional medical advice) that it was the enormous amount of stress I was going through at the time, plus being on too high of a Sub dose. So I began to reduce my stressors, lowered my Sub dose a few mgs (of course under the guidance of my Sub physician) and the twitches dramatically decreased. I still get them once in a great while, but I've learned some relaxation techniques that generally keep them from being bothersome.

Stress can manifest itself is SO many ways it's unreal. Talk to your physician about it and follow a course of action they recommend. At most they may be able to rule out some concerns you may have.

Best of luck to you sunflower!

j
azg2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2008, 03:27 PM   #9
sunflower1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done View Post
Sunflower

I dont know if this is it or not, but when i stopped taking xanax (which you are not supposed to do CT) I would be sitting here watching TV and all of the sudden my leg will just jump? Other times its my whole body? I dont know if that is the same or not. It lasted a week or two then it was gone. (anyway i thought it was due to stopping xanax)

When are you seeing your Dr? Please tell him about the strange things you have been experiencing.

Thanks for your reply. I am currently taking xanax--I take it at night, so I don't think it's from the xanax. I think I heard that the duration of action of xanax (amount of time xanax is in your body) is up to 7 days, so even if I'm only taking it at night, it should not be causing any type of withdrawal symptoms in the 24 hours in between doses. I'm going to sub doc in an hour, so I'm going to bring it up to him.
Thank you!
Unread 11-12-2008, 03:32 PM   #10
sunflower1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag-doll View Post
I never had twitches or anything like what you are describing while using my DOC, but when I first started subs, I had some weird thing going on. It only happened after I got in bed and was drifting off to sleep. I would suddnely jerk my arms or legs in al different directions. One night I hit my husband rather hard, and one night I slapped myself right in the face. But that only lasted for a few weeks, and now I never have that problem. Also, as was discussed in some previous posts, the worst side effect was the profuse sweating! But in the last 2 weeks, that has almost completely disappeared. I sweat a lot when I was using my drug of choice, but it never went away.
Rag-doll
I know your post wasn't meant to make me laugh, but I did giggle when you said you hit your husband and slapped yourself--I have done that too in the past (to boyfriend), but it was before using opiates of any type!
I sweat a lot also, and I did so when I used high quantities of opiates, but with subs I see that decreasing. I sweat a lot anyway, but it did get worse through drug use, but that is subsiding-thank god.
I appreciate your reply. Going to doc today, so I will be asking him about it. I'm thinking it does have to do with opiate receptors in some way shape or form. I'll let you all know tonight--if I can get on here! The darn server at night keeps saying the site is too busy--we have a lot of peopel on here!! But, I keep coming back and will persevere through the "site too busy" thing!
Unread 11-22-2008, 06:23 PM   #11
scotland

Just for posterity's sake and if anyone in the future feels troubled by their side effects and is looking here for answers, I post the following.

I also have twitches and the "over reaction" issues on Sub. I twitch like mad at night and often feel like a simple reach for the light switch has too much "oomph". In all, not much to deal with when compared to using opiates!

S
scotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 09:04 PM   #12
teresaP

Thumbs up body twitches too

my body twitches happen when i first get into bed and close my eyes. i have been on subs for 5 months now and get the body twitches every night. My poor husband will just get to sleep and i will twitch and shake the bed and wake him up. I remember getting twitches when I was taking oxy's and methadones too. Also if I raise my dose at all I get the sweats but if I stay with 4mg in morning and 4mg in evening i don't get sweats at all. I am allowed to go up or down with my daily dose because I take subs for pain. BUT I very rarely take my daily limit because like I said, higher doses give me sweats and makes me really sleepy during the day.
teresaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2009, 09:56 AM   #13
christin1225

I realize that this thread is three months old, but it appears to have died out with any mention of a resolution. I have been on Suboxone for nine days and exprience these twitches/jerking motions -- usually when tired.

I will ask my doctor about it at my next appointment. But, I think that it would help to go to the office visit prepared with other stories and with things have been ruled out.

I am on no other medicines.

Thanks.
christin1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2009, 02:44 PM   #14
jpklaser

I have had the "night twitches" ever since I started abusing opiates. When is start to fall asleep, I start twitching. When I am in a deep sleep, I have been told that I shake and twitch really badly, to the point that the girl I was with woke me up because she was scared I was seizing.

Anyway, it doesn't bother me because it only happens when I'm sleeping.

I don't think it is anything 2 worry about.
jpklaser is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to jpklaser For This Useful Post:
Thank You (02-21-2009)