Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 12-07-2008, 02:10 PM   #1
RelapseTimma

Unhappy Relapse

Hi I've been trying to stop drinking for many years about 20 and I have recently been involved with AA for about 3 months and have got 5 chips allready. When I want to drink I can't stop myself I use everything AA has been teaching me and I still drink.. I was woundering if somebody can give me some insight...
RelapseTimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
CarlyO

Default Welcome RTimma !

Hi and welcome to the forum RT ( I am going to call you RTimma since one day you will not be RelapseTimma : )

Stopping alcohol is not for the faint of heart - it aint easy stuff, but it can be done, you have been to AA so you see it everyday, people make it. Do you know what your process is? Like do you leave a meeting and drink, are you home alone and get cravings? Do you have people who support you?

Sometimes, it takes time , trial and error , to figure out what is NOT working. Many people have "false starts" the important thing to do is to not beat yourself up and regroup and start working again.

Some people need more than AA - have you considered a counselor or other professional ? There is also medication that can help deal with cravings. I will post some threads by JaneDoe who has had success with the medication. She has a great story too ! The link about medication assited treatment is also there.

Is there an underlying depression or other issues going on that maybe a professional could help with?

I can say for me - I kept going in and out of the rooms/treatment for about year before it worked for me. I can't explain why it worked, there was definitely incentive- like jails, institutions , that is where I was headed.
Do you feel like you are going to meetings , waiting for the hour to be up or are you really involved in the program?
Is AA even for you ? I have posted links to various other support groups, maybe there is something else?

In the end , I did what they told me to do. I made, i mean forced myself go to meetings in the beginning and I got really involved with the fellowship b/c I did not have any friends or family. That probably helped me the most. I was accountable to others, which I loathed because it meant no sneaking around and I had to be honest. I also had issues with depression, that I saw a counselor for.
It has not been an easy road, but when things happened, I tried to look at it like, ok this was part of my journey. I do not want anymore lost time, you know ? Sometimes it seems life is so short to waste on the pain and suffering picking up will bring, and I know it will happen becasue it is the one guarantee I have in MY life, that if I pick up then I know, without a doubt that XYZ will happen, and xyz are very bad things for me.

I hope this makes sense and hope that the links will help you as well. The site has a lot of great info and links so check them out when you can.

RTimma, please do not give up , keep trying, keep asking for help. It is not how many times you fall down that count - it is how many times you pick yourself back up that do : ) I am glad you are here - take care , Carly

Links that I was referring to in post >>>

Treatment locator : Physicians, counselors and treatment facilities..

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/local/

Below is a list of the various support groups that are available and how to find one near you. There is now much more than traditional AA, there are many types of support groups out there.

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/resour...port-links.cfm

** Link to medication assisted treatment options... this can be an invaluable tool to help with cravings.

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/treatm...-treatment.cfm

Information for your family ....
Education for your family/loved ones can be vital to their understanding of what you are facing and trying to accomplish.
Below is the link to the information and other resources on the site that may help them.

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/friends-family/

For even more information and resources click on any of the links on the right hand side or at the top of the page.
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 08:16 AM   #3
yoyo71

You are not alone.... always remember that. i am in the same boat as yourself and it is very difficult. what you cannot do is beat yourself up. It will only make it worse. I find that if you do that you are definitely opening yourself up to more problems. so try to stay strong. i know its hard, but dont give up.
yoyo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #4
SLynn

RTimma

I just wanted to stop in and say hello and welcome to the site. Carly gave you all the information you could possibly need to get started and i hope you're doing some reading. Obviously you're looking for help if you found us.

You certainly aren't alone.

SLynn
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
SLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 05:42 AM   #5
RelapseTimma

Thank you CarlyO SLynn & yoyo I am thinking that maybe I need some outside help along with AA and you are right I see alot of people w/ alot of sobriety and I truly want to be that way myself because I am sick and tired of being sick and tired and I am tired of this circle of madness. I have been on a three day benge and I woke up this morning feeling that I have been being selfish and stupid. I got ride of my first sponsor and got another one w/ 22 years.. Im just going to keep my mind open and keep telling on my self, praying and going to meetings daily..

Last edited by RelapseTimma; 12-09-2008 at 05:46 AM.. Reason: add names
RelapseTimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
JaneDoe

RelapseTimma and yoyo71, Don't know if you guys read it, but here's my story.
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=18957

I'm now 11 months without drinking and even with holiday parties and junk like that coming up, I'm not inclined to go out.

I found that going to a therapist to talk about me and what makes me tick - not an addiction person, just a good psych - was the best thing I did.

Besides get the Vivitrol shot. This guy says it all.
http://www.alcoholanswers.org/tom/
http://www.alcoholanswers.org/treatm...-treatment.cfm

RelapseTimma, think about getting the shot. I tested it and I didn't feel like drinking more than 2/3 drinks. And I got no buzz from drinking. Just made me think what a waste of money and calories that was.

Now if I'm out in social situations and feel weird that everyone is drinking and I'm not (family gathering stuff like that), I just have a soda pop and put fruit in it that makes it look like I'm having a drink. Makes people shut up. LOL

Get the shot. Get counseling. If I'm working it, you both can.

JaneDoe
JaneDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2008, 09:27 AM   #7
yoyo71

how can i find out where to get the shot? I would also like to get counseling as well because i know that i have issues inside that make me give up the fight to not drink. getting help on both levels seems like the way to go. can you give me some type of referral for the perrypoint md area?
yoyo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2008, 10:26 AM   #8
JaneDoe

yoyo71, any doctor can give the shot. My OB/GYN is where I got mine. This is pretty handy, it's in the blue box up in the right, but here's the link. http://www.alcoholanswers.org/local/

You pub your zip code in an it lists doctors and counselors.

I think you'll do well like I did.

Let me know.
JaneDoe
JaneDoe is offline   Reply With Quote