Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 05-30-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
mama/nana

Question mental illness and meth addiction

Anyone out there a mom of an adult mentally ill man with a meth addiction? Would also like to hear from a mentally ill man with a meth addiction. My 42 year-old son is bipolar, on prescribed psychotropic drugs and uses meth to get him out of his deep depression because his psychiatrist will not give him an antidepressant. He is on disability, living independently (with my help) and taking one class a semester to finish college. Would like feedback. Thanks!
mama/nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2009, 12:17 AM   #2
CarlyO

Default Hi and Welcome Mama/Nana

Hi mama/nana,

I wanted to welcome you to the forum. I am glad you found us. If I may ask - does his doctor know he self -medicates with meth and is it possible for your son to be seen by a professional who specializes in addiction and mental health issues ?
The reason I ask is that your son is dealing with 2 issues, I worry about how the psychotropic meds are mixing with the meth. does one cancel out the other ? make it worse etc... ?

Imo- ideally, if he could be treated for a dual diagnosis - maybe get his meth misuse resolved, then get adequate treatment for his bi-polar disorder then - he would not have to resort to misusing meth.

when was he diagnosed with Bi-polar disorder and does he have a history of substance /alcohol misuse?

Sorry to ask so many questions, I am just trying to think of options that you can pursue. I have provided a treatment locator link and another link regarding meth use and Bi-polar. There is also much more info on the site.

How are you doing during all of this ? I imagine you have had to deal with a lot, do you people to talk to, a support system?
Let us know if you have any questions or need to vent. Take care , Carly : )

Links... Dual Diagnosis - Meth and Mental Health ---
http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/conte...alillness.html

Treatment locator ...

http://dasis3.samhsa.gov/
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2009, 11:08 PM   #3
mama/nana

Thanks Carly for the reply. He had his first psychotic episode when he was 18. He was misdiagnosed at that time. At 27 he was diagnosed with Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder with added Depression. Yes he has a history of substance (alcohol) abuse. He always has been very open and honest about everything he does. Until very recently Duel Diagnosis was not recognized in our County. In fact there is only ONE rehab/therapy center which addresses Mental Illness and Meth Addiction. I am trying to get him to go. Yes his County Psychiatrist knows he self-medicates with Meth. We attend his appointments with him. I am a Nami member but a reclusive gardener who suffers alone with an 80 year-old Husband who works his own company and calls me a martyr. I'd love to hear from Bipolar Meth addicts and those in recovery. Maybe I should get on that part of this site. I need their experiences. THEY are the experts. I can only learn from those who have personally walked the path. Thanks for the links!
Unread 06-03-2009, 10:17 PM   #4
CarlyO

Hi Mama/Nana,

I will look for a website that may fit what you are searching for, I am in recovery but not specifically Bi -Polar /Meth. I will post a link if I can find something out there, I am sure there is a community.
It sounds like you are doing the best you can with what resources are out there. Take care, Carly
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 06-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
mama/nana

You are great! Thank you carly. How do you have the time to do what you do? About my son: I should add that he is an intellectual, creative person completely opposite from a "macho" man although he loves sports. He abhors being over-medicated (which he isn't) and detests the condescending manner too many people, professionally and otherwise, show toward him. It's been extremely difficult for him to not only relate to people who have a mental illness/addiction but also to those who are ignorant of his plight. Therefore, he's alone trying to find "friends." thanks again! Me
Unread 06-10-2009, 11:00 PM   #6
CarlyO

Hi Mama/nana ,

Sorry I am just now posting, I have been out of town so I am trying to catch up, but I will try to find some info /website for you. I hope you are doing well, will get back with you this week, Take Good Care , Carly
Unread 06-17-2009, 02:32 AM   #7
Sunny Rae

Hello there Mama/nana. I used meth for 14 years. I am sorry for what you are going through. I am sad to report, that getting off meth was the hardest thing I have ever done. i don't think i could have done it without being threatened about losing my son. when someone used meth, its unlike anything else ever. the best way to describe it is like "being kissed by God". only 1 in 14 people who use meth actually become clean. i wouldn't have gotten clean had i not had my little boy. let me also say that i have never been diagnosed with a mental disorder, however, i have known many of people that have been, (and I could probly be diagnosed with some sort of mental disorder, espically when i was usint) and have spent much time with all types of people that use meth. just know that once you start using meth, (and i dont mean to discourage you) it seems next to impossible that you will get off it. 1 in 12 or 14 people will get clean and stay clean.

when you are high on meth, you are truly convinced that you are doing nothing wrong. that everyone else is missing out, and you are right. I am an educated person, and am now a paralegal actually, and it can suck anyone into the devils layer...all you have to do is try it once. getting clean is by far my greatest accomplishment in my young adult life. i had to move away from the city i grew up in. i relapsed more than once, but i finally have 3 1/2 years clean. by the grace of God.

meth is a horrible epidemic. i can't stress how amazing it makes someone feel. do you know how much, or how he uses it? does he recognize that he has a problem? whatever you do, do not enable him. he will have to hit rock bottom before he will quit. if he will quit. like i said, most people don't. im sorry to tell you that, but you need to know the truth. i have seen so many wonderful people waste their life away on this horrible drug. i lost so much. so many people do. i am here to answer any questions you may have.

be strong, and know that this is out of your hands. i hope he is smart enough to see how horrible this is and that it can take your whole life away before you even realize that so much time has passed.

i will pray for you. maybe reccomend treatment. he has to want to quit, i mean really want it, or he won't quit. its that simple.

i will keep in touch.

yours truly,
Sunny
Sunny Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 09:20 PM   #8
CarlyO

Hi Mama/Nana,

I have searched online for a community that serves both bi-polar and meth issues and it is usually one or the other but not both, together. Or the site is an advert for a rehab center.
I think Sunnyrae understands his struggle with meth. and it sounds like you may be weary of making the rounds with the doctors and MH professionals. There is no doubt in my mind your son is a very creative intelligent person, most of us are ; ) I have met the most awesome people in recovery !
I wish I had a solution for you, like Sunnyrae posted, I also hope he can find his path to being happy and healthy.
Take care, Carly
Unread 06-29-2009, 06:57 PM   #9
Sunny Rae

Mana/Nana,
Would love to hear from you. Hope all is well, and I/we are here if you need to talk.
Sunny
Sunny Rae is offline   Reply With Quote