Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 10-12-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
Rick_MO

Question Is it really necessary for everyone?

I am a 56 year old male who has been taking benzo's for the past 33 years. Until the past couple of years, my doctors have encouraged me to take them for Generalized Aniety Dx. I have taken doses as high as 60 mg of Valium per day or 6 mg of Klonopin per day.

New doctor says I need to come off these medications. Currently, taking only 1mg Xanax XR twice daily; .5 Xanax twice daily, and Ambien CR 12.5 at bedtime.

I have always gotten the medications from psychiatrists and, in fact, I work in the mental health field. Having been on benzo.'s for so many years, I don't think its realistic to think I can totally titrate off of them.

Also, don't understand why my doctor is using xanar XR after reading the British article suggesting using valium or drugs with a longer half life. I suspect this is not his area of expertise, but he is not very open to suggestions. I would appreciate knowing if others have withdrawn from such high doses and after so many years. Thank you.
Rick_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
Mindgame516

you will have withdrawal syptoms from anything over a month and xanax maybe shorter period a time given its short half life. what you need to do is very slowly go down mg a mg every 2 weeks until you get lower then start dropping it .25 -.5 every 14 days. it all depends on how your body feels if you feel yhou need to drop down in the beggining .25 then so be it, but its not gunna be 100% comfortable your going to feel some umcomfortability no matter what benzo need to be tapered down real slow. you may in your case since on it so long taper down every month instead of 2 weeks
Mindgame516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
Mindgame516

i was on benzos for only about 7 8 months of 3-5 sticks a day and i had severe withdrawals way worse then opiate withdrawal to the point i wanted to die but i dident taper down only a shitty 5 day detox. after the detox i was in withdrawl for about 24 days till it started gradually getting better. i dident feel normal till about 45 days 60 days
Mindgame516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
Rick_MO

Thank you for sharing your experiences. It was helpful
Rick_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2016, 06:15 PM   #5
Mango

I see that this is an old post but I think I can add some insight that may help anyone else who stumbles across this like I did recently. Particularly regarding this quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_MO View Post
[...] Also, don't understand why my doctor is using xanar XR after reading the British article suggesting using valium or drugs with a longer half life. I suspect this is not his area of expertise [...]
I was told by a trusted friend who, although not a medical professional, has intimate knowledge of benzos, that extended release Xanax (Alprazolam XR/ER) is formulated to prevent abuse. The XR variety only extends the half-life by about 4 hours (still much less than Valium/Diazepam) but it's key characteristic is that it doesn't give the user an immediate "high".

Contrast that to Z-Bars, which can be snorted (and possibly even injected) to get a high.

Now, speaking from personal experience (yes, I'm on Xanax XR), I can confirm that taking an extra-large dose does not give the rush you can get from immediate-release benzos. If anything, it just worsens the acute withdrawal.

One time when getting my prescription refilled, the pharmacist accidentally gave me a ton of Z-Bars instead of the ER variety (plus lots of refills!). I wanted to cry when I turned them back in (and had to watch them count out each pill to make sure that none were missing) but I had to because I knew I couldn't trust myself with them. It was rough but I had to do the right thing to prevent my chemical dependence from getting any worse.

As for Rick_MO's doctor, I'm no mind-reader but one, less pessimistic, possibility is that he was trying to protect Rick_MO from getting a more serious habit.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Thank You (06-02-2019), Thank You (01-24-2016)
Unread 06-27-2016, 07:28 AM   #6
Leo

Lots of talk from others, thanks.

Hi Ric_Mo

If you are in the uk then from what I have read around the subject it does seem that you are right to be concerned when you mention that your doctor gives you Xanax XR, particularly if it is still only given in expensive Brand name rather than available generically, (Alprazolam is the actual drug name but I believe in extended form to simply last longer in the human body). Benzos are a world problem.

For treatment I can say its been proved that there is a worrisome, serious withdrawal from benzos and for this reason I would say that you really need to address this with a knowledgable doctor and don't be fobbed off. Please read the 'Ashton' Manual for good self knowledge on benzo's.

Best wishes

Leo
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2017, 05:01 PM   #7
TiTantic1950

Default Hello, new here and I just need support

Hi,
I am sorry. This is an edit. I am new here and meant to start a new thread.

Last edited by TiTantic1950; 03-12-2017 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: meant to start a new thread
TiTantic1950 is offline   Reply With Quote