Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 05-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #1
bg1

Default benzos fine for methadone but not buprenorpine?

Ok heres what has me confused. I went to the methadone clinic for 2 years ane it seemed like well over half the patients were prescribed benzos Im not doctor but I would think that if they were gna cut ne body off em, if would be methadone patients.It always felt like I was one of the few there who wasn't on a benzo, or crack. Just wondering why a much safer drug has such a strict process.
bg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2014, 10:40 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi bg1, benzos aren't usually a danger when they are taken in therapeutic doses along with Suboxone. It's when the benzos are taken in large amounts and also mixed with other respiratory depressants such as alcohol that they can be dangerous with Suboxone and actually with any opiate.

It could be that a lot of Suboxone doctors aren't willing to take risk in prescribing them out of fear because the only overdose deaths in which buprenorphine was involved also involved large amounts of benzos. And that was brought up a lot when Suboxone was FDA approved. But there are some doctors will will prescribe both or accept a prescription that another doctor has written for the patient.

But there's nothing saying that both cannot be prescribed to a patient at the same time. As long as it's not in large amounts.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2014, 12:46 AM   #3
julie48

Hi, Like Nancy said it is up to the individual doctor. My doctor knows I am on suboxone and has me prescribed Klonopin or Ativan for years. Like I said, each doctor is different and I do not abuse my benzos, which is important. I take maybe one a day. Good luck!!
Unread 05-04-2014, 12:50 AM   #4
dd01281969

I'm on Suboxone and klonopin. No problems if u take them right.
Thank You (05-06-2014)