Addiction Survivors

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you pay for your doctor visits (not prescription, that is another poll)
You Pay all (Cash, credit card) 101 68.71%
Private Insurance Co-pay -mostly you 5 3.40%
Private Insurance Co-pay -mostly insurance 19 12.93%
All insurance (or if copay <$15) 9 6.12%
Manufacturer pays (needymeds) 0 0%
Medicaid (or other government payer) 12 8.16%
Clinical study – no charge 0 0%
Other 1 0.68%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 11-23-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
ADMIN
Administrator

Default How do you pay for your doctor visits

How do you pay for your doctor visit? Please answer in the poll above, thank you!

ADMIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
Gracie

When I started this Jan.09 , My doctor charged 120.00 for a office visit, now he raised it to 130.00. His normal patients only pay 80.00 per visit. Why can he do this?
Gracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
AprilLynn83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie View Post
When I started this Jan.09 , My doctor charged 120.00 for a office visit, now he raised it to 130.00. His normal patients only pay 80.00 per visit. Why can he do this?
I had a doctor do this before I got medicaid. I got in an argument with them and demanded to know WHY they kept raising my price, but no others, and it would fluctuate with different visits also! They just kept telling me "the doctor decides how much to charge." That was the best answer they gave me. It's wrong and they know we'll have to pay it or go without! Have you ever noticed it's just patients on suboxone treatment and on other pain treatments that get their visit price raised?
AprilLynn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2009, 11:41 AM   #4
cherry47

I started sub on Monday. My medicare/medicaid picks up the cost of the doctor visit, but I have to pay a fee of $50.00 per visit to see the counsler.
cherry47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 10:19 PM   #5
mewitoutyou

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilLynn83 View Post
I had a doctor do this before I got medicaid. I got in an argument with them and demanded to know WHY they kept raising my price, but no others, and it would fluctuate with different visits also! They just kept telling me "the doctor decides how much to charge." That was the best answer they gave me. It's wrong and they know we'll have to pay it or go without! Have you ever noticed it's just patients on suboxone treatment and on other pain treatments that get their visit price raised?

April Lynn,
I realized this too! My parents and I pay for the Suboxone and doctor's visits all on our own. At first, the price was 60, Then 65, Now it's 75. Not on top of the 210 dollars for a months worth (30) of pills. Now that you mention it, I did notice that the price keeps going up and up. What the heck is up with that? I don't understand it either. I've been seriously thinking of trying to get on Medicade or something like that, because what if I can't afford it. He doesn't really care that I'll have to go without it then. But i refuse to go back to heroin. So i guess I'll keep on paying until I can think of a different alternative. Thanks, God Bless, **Frankie**
mewitoutyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 10:55 PM   #6
theswan

I hurt my back while at work in the course of my duties therefore I pat nothing! yea for me.

The price is so high for the suboxone itself that I get a hassle each month from the workers compensation's perscroption carrier ( Expresscipts ) I end up getting it but the drugstore's staff can vary and sometimes end up giving me back the perscription saying "it needs prior auth" or worse, they call my doctor who calls me upset about them calling him! Auugh! I mean I get this stuff each month for a year and these drug stores still don't get it!

The sad fact is if a pharacist punchs in the "script" into the computer and it comes back with anything but an OK they go into dumb mode. "Oh my God it says "prior auth, needed what do I do?" lol How about picking up the phone and calling a real living person?! I mean I explain it to the front end person who is staring at me like a deer in headlights!

I even tell the pharmacist who seems to always forget. I should write it out. !PLEASE KNOW THAT THIS DRUG IS EXPENSIVE THEREFORE THE INSURANCE WILL TRY A MORON TEST ON YOU TO DISSUADE YOU FROM PROCESSING THIS SCRIPT"

Oh well I should look at the funny side to life.

Glen
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
metric111

Angry

here is the thing guys, these doctors are taking cash and simply not reporting it to the irs. Well i have put an end to that, i have reported my doctor to the irs and he is being audited! They are the modern day equivalent to street junk dealers. I called him my dealer because he did nothing that resembled what a learned or professional physician would do. I hope to expose these doctors for what they are. They are dealing junk just like the dopers on the street. My doctor in new berlin wisconsin refused to give me any records to give to my insurance, even though my insurance paid for suboxone treatment. Does that set off any red flags for anyone?? It is sad when you are preyed upon by the very people you should be able to trust.
metric111 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to metric111 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-29-2012)
Unread 04-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #8
TIM

Yes, it's definitely a red flag when a doctor demands cash and won't give you a receipt. By law they must provide a receipt and there are no good legal motives to deny a patient a receipt. When some doctors started no insurance companies paid, but now must do, and many pay at a substantial rate.

The restrictive laws buprenorphine is subject to have thrown off the supply/demand balance. There is a large demand but short supply of doctors. Only 2% of US docs can prescribe bupe, but 100% can prescribe the more dangerous drugs people become addicted to. The laws are restrictive because of the stigma that plagues addiction disorders, reducing the stigma will help.

Tim

Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. Voluntary Disclosure: Timothy L. is the President of The National Alliance of Advocates for Buprenorphine treatment. (NAABT.org) The views and opinions of Timothy L., or any poster, are not necessarily the views of AddictionSurvivors.org. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider Any information you read here should only serve to inspire you to investigate further with credible, verifiable referenced sources or your doctor.
TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to TIM For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-29-2012)
Unread 04-20-2009, 05:57 PM   #9
a1gryphon

Default I WISH I paid $80 - $120/visit

Well, when I started last April, I lived in Knoxville, TN. I paid $80/month. I had to move to Southwest Virginia, thinking that the price wouldn't vary very much from place to place. I got here and had to start paying $175 every 2 weeks. I could go once monthly, but that would just mean that this would double, so the price remains the same.

I have begun searching for cheaper doctors. I'm sorry to report that most charge around $500 for the initial visit, and $200 weekly thereafter. These people justify this by saying that "you paid for your dope, you can pay for this". Yeah, well, most junkies committed unspeakable acts to get their dope money, and, once clean, they can no longer perform these acts in good conscience. I mean, the point IS to learn to live like we did before we became addicted, NOT to have to continue the same behaviors, and then show up at our local NA meeting and talk about what a great day we had because we had to go suck somebody's d*** for $100 to help pay for our suboxone visit!!!

Anyway, as I said, I am hellbent on finding someone cheaper, OR some other way to get this need of mine met. I found that Medicaid (only in some states) will reimburse YOU if you pay the doctor up front and fill out the necessary paperwork. I attempted to call my state's Medicaid office to determine if this applies here, only to be greeted by some uneducated nitwit who couldn't even understand the question being put to them. I explained that I am paying $175 every two weeks for my suboxone visits, and this idiot interrupted me saying, "Why are you paying your provider yourself?"

I answered that few, if any doctors accept insurance for suboxone visits. I inquired as to whether or not they would reimburse patients for these visits, she scoffed and said, "Huh, we're NOT going to send you any money. If your doctor doesn't accept Medicaid, then we don't pay for it."

I had to explain that Medicaid DOES do this in some states, and I suspect that they do it here, as I'd seen it alluded to on the internet somewhere. Shoot, last year I worked for Medicaid myself and I know first hand that they reimburse for all kinds of things, I'm just not sure about suboxone visits.

This person clearly didn't understand what I was asking at all. And this is apparently the only avenue of reaching a live person at Medicaid.

If I can't find a person who knows how to do their job, then HOW am I supposed to get anywhere?

I am so very vexed at this point and just feel like shooting myself.

Anyway, I believe that if we all just took a stand together somehow, wrote our representatives or SOMETHING to that effect, then we could make all this bullshit disappear. That's what it is. Bullshit. I don't see doctors charging all that cash up front for cancer patients. Suboxone is the most effective thing out there for opiate addicts, and it is very, very rapidly becoming impossible to pay for.

Absolutely ridiculous. Maddening. Come on. Let's get something done about this.
a1gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Users Say Thank You to a1gryphon For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-13-2013), Thank You (01-29-2012), Thank You (02-24-2010), Thank You (06-08-2011), Thank You (04-05-2011)
Unread 10-19-2009, 02:21 PM   #10
cainon25

Default New and confused

Hi Matt, welcome.

Your post has been moved for better visibility:

http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=22728

ADMIN

Last edited by cainon25; 10-19-2009 at 02:24 PM..
cainon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 10:54 PM   #11
Fuzzy

I give my doc a check for $175 every three months ($60/month). He gives me a receipt...but I dont want to submit it to my insurance bc it goes to under addiction or something (the usual deal) and i dont want that on my record.

Back when I started it was $150...but that was in 2003.
Unread 10-28-2009, 10:29 PM   #12
phils_moe05

Post Self-Pay

I had my 1st office visit approx 2 weeks ago and it cost $350, then each visit after that is $150. I can't find any insurance to cover this. Any suggestions? Thanks
phils_moe05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 11:12 PM   #13
NancyB
Administrator

Hi phils_moe05 and welcome. How often will you have to go now, once a month?
If you don't have insurance, then there's nothing that I know of that will cover the office costs.

You can check with your city/town/county/state drug and alcohol divisions and see if they provide any financial assistance.

How are you paying for your meds?

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 04:38 AM   #14
NoLongerSufferingWI

Metric, since you don't live too far from Madison, you should check out Gateway Recovery. They are extremely knowledgeable and professional. I highly recommend this wonderful center. I know they accept Unity and Auxiant/Alliance insurance plans because those are the companies that I use. I hope I could help you find the right place.
-Jennifer
Unread 12-04-2009, 06:35 PM   #15
REESE

Well heck i am not sure that any of this was encouraging. I mean i am paying out the a## for blue cross blue shield health insurance and no help for treatment yet cause my deductible is like 1500 dollars per household member and standard cost here in ky is 300 to 400 per mont plus meds and then to be paying for insurance sucks.how do you put a price on human suffering.
REESE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2009, 10:28 PM   #16
mbounce88

Ive been on suboxone over a year now and its been a total life saver, i had a couple months going back to oxy both smoking and snorting, but got myself back on track on subs, i have one year left of insurance , still on parents im 23 going to school, so i pay 15 copay doc , and 45 for 30 8mg pills, used to get 90 for 80 bucks! so ive been very lucky, this is my first time on this site, got a new doctor who reccomends over actual meetings, which i have, If i dont want to listen to someone i shouldnt have to, not to be mean, but thats how i am.. And people if they dont want to listen to me dont have to. I cant imagine not being able to have it like you guys are posting or paying over 500 bucks a month, my doctor thinks i should taper but i almost feel like im so screwed up that if i ever do quit subox back to the beans , methadones and maybe death.. im in wa area anyone needs to talk or needs help im here PEACE GO WA HUSKIES
mbounce88 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to mbounce88 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-12-2012)
Unread 12-05-2009, 11:41 PM   #17
NancyB
Administrator

Hi mbounce88 and welcome. Have you told your doctor that you're not ready to start tapering? IMO, you shouldn't be forced to taper. That should be started when you're ready to do it.

Hope you can that through to him.

Again, welcome!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 01-06-2010, 11:43 PM   #18
talk2me

I have been taking sub for 1 1/2 yrs now and have always paid out of pocket because my doc will not accept my Blue Cross insurance even though he is a BC provider. The $345 mth ($140 doc visit, $150 rx fee & $55 drug test) is killing me financially. My plan was to call the other doc in my area to see if anyone will bill my insurance but after reading some of your threads, I guess I'm pretty lucky my current doc has always charged me $140 (even the initial visit).
talk2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #19
NancyB
Administrator

Hi talk2me, have you looked into submitting the receipts you get from your doctor directly to Blue Cross for direct reimbursement to you?

If the doctor is in your network, you might also think about calling BC and ask them what the protocol for this is. I don't believe he can legitimately do that.

When you say the $150 rx fee, are you getting the medication directly from the doctor or your insurance doesn't cover it? If your insurance doesn't cover it, please check this thread out, it has prescription discount cards in it:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=12915

Here's a link explaining the manufacturer's free med program:
http://www.needymeds.org/drug_list.t...&name=Suboxone

Nancy
Unread 01-07-2010, 10:30 PM   #20
talk2me

Thank you NancyB,
My insurance covers generic rx only and non generic they cover a big 10% of normal costs. I thought about calling Blue Cross about the doctor but I'm afraid if BC calls him he won't see me again. But I guess it won't hurt just to call BC to see what they say. I'll look into that link also.
Thanks again!!
talk2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 02:35 PM   #21
sydjademom2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewitoutyou View Post
April Lynn,
I realized this too! My parents and I pay for the Suboxone and doctor's visits all on our own. At first, the price was 60, Then 65, Now it's 75. Not on top of the 210 dollars for a months worth (30) of pills. Now that you mention it, I did notice that the price keeps going up and up. What the heck is up with that? I don't understand it either. I've been seriously thinking of trying to get on Medicade or something like that, because what if I can't afford it. He doesn't really care that I'll have to go without it then. But i refuse to go back to heroin. So i guess I'll keep on paying until I can think of a different alternative. Thanks, God Bless, **Frankie**

THIS is my predicament right now!!! I have to pay 125 for the office visit...which is the 3 mins. it takes for him to electronically send my script to the pharmacy....and then I have to pay 7-8 dollars per pill at the pharmacy. My parents helped me a couple times...but they can't anymore. The last 2 months i've been taking bill money from my husband, who is also on Suboxone, but he has insurance through his work....and he REFUSES to put me on his insurance...it's too much money out of his paycheck! So I have to start tapering...I can't deal with the stress of where the money is going to come from anymore. The last 2 weeks it seems like the second my head hits the pillow thats what i'm thinking about....I can't stand the deception and lying...I feel like a junkie all over again. I just can't do this anymore.....I want this medication out of my life!
sydjademom2413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 06:01 PM   #22
nikkigz1985

Default how much i pay per visit

I pay 120.00 a month I hear by law at least in the state of pa drs arent allowed chargning more than 100
nikkigz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 06:22 PM   #23
27kidscomefirst

$130-per appointment, $20-per phone call, and $40-if you need to change an apointment. The doc will make his rounds right in the waiting room. He has his shirt pockets full of 20s and 100s. If the subs did not work for quiting i would almost feel like my doc is a pusher.
27kidscomefirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 06:29 PM   #24
27kidscomefirst

If you find out if thats true please send me a message. Thanks
27kidscomefirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 02:47 AM   #25
JustMeHere43

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkigz1985 View Post
I pay 120.00 a month I hear by law at least in the state of pa drs arent allowed chargning more than 100

I would love to find out if this is true or not...It should be! To me, just my opinion now, I feel that some of these Dr.s are taking advantage of people like us...how are they any different than a Dr that will write a script for oxy and only accept cash for the office visit (aka pill mill Dr.) I can't believe that state insurance won't cover this medication..suboxone is a heck of a lot cheaper than a script of oxycontins!! You'd think state ins would be more than happy to pay for this! What a screwed up system we have in this country. I remember callin my ins co a couple yrs ago to ask about sub coverage, the idiot on the other line said to take vicodin, its the same thing..OMG!! Can you believe that? I told him that it was the vicodin that got me in this mess and I want off and suboxone is the medication that will be a major tool in my recovery...he had no clue!
ok, I'm done ranting now :0)
JustMeHere43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 08:08 AM   #26
DARKEYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkigz1985 View Post
Living in PA as well I would love to see that law! When I was paying out of pocket for a doctor appointment my visits were 150.00 per month plus the cost of a urine sample if one was required at the time. When this doctor took my health insurance my co-pays were zero because of the health insurance I have. However, my medication was paid by the insurance provider, but not the doctor visit. When first starting treatment he DID take the insurance, then the insurance company dropped him. I finally found another doctor through the NAABT.ORG web site who did take my insurance. The doctor that I was paying..his office visits are now 150.00 plus 20.00 for a urine sample, and he takes one every time you go, so that adds up to 190.00 per month. I know people who pay out of pocket 95.00 per visit and go every week like a methadone clinic do the numbers. If you come across that law could you please copy and paste it or supply the link to it so that the advocates and the state can work on getting these doctors to regulate what they charge? I've done advocacy work in this state for a long time and have worked very closely with Harrisburg, Nancy probably knows who I'm speaking of, when I call they put me right through to the woman who does know about this. As a matter of fact perhaps I will call her Monday to see where I can find this information so that my "homies" aren't getting ripped.

It seems to me that doctors can charge what ever they want and it looks as if some do which just puts an additional strain on everyone in this state who pays out of pocket for the visit and the medication. I was very lucky that my insurance provider paid for the medication, but the strain on me paying the doctor was just a bit much. There are not enough doctors in PA that are certified to do Suboxene treatment, the waiting lists are very long, and now BIG BROTHER wants to regulate them even more. If I can come across the law of which you speak, I will most certainly post it here for everyone to read.
Unread 09-12-2010, 10:12 PM   #27
MissSurvivor

It makes me sick that so many people pay out of pocket.
Unread 09-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #28
MaJaBe

Wow, from reading the above I feel really lucky. Charges for phone calls? Ludicrus.(sp?)
I pay 90 per visit, and 90 per script, every two weeks on both. (115 if I get a UA)
My induction was 300.
(cash)
My medicaid doesn't pay for my meds, and my doctor will not accept any insurance for addiction treatment.

Last edited by MaJaBe; 09-13-2010 at 05:12 PM..
MaJaBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #29
rachkb123

i pay $210.00 for my monthly dr visit. insurance says they will pay for the scpript for 1 year, co pay $50.00 and month, but i got the film & the $75.00 coupon so it's is applied to the co pay. so far not to bad.
rachkb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #30
MaJaBe

210 per visit!! whoa!
MaJaBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #31
jamielee

I pay 125 per visit, my induction was 350, my rx will be around 200 a month with my insurance and the coupon good through March, OMG what after that?? I have no choice, staying with my safety net- Suboxone!!
Unread 04-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #32
richt

Default too many ****in rules forgetit

hows that
Unread 04-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #33
richt

Default sick sick sick

the cost of the dr + the px + the other stabelizer meds cost as much as using dope
Unread 04-05-2011, 08:41 AM   #34
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by richt View Post
the cost of the dr + the px + the other stabelizer meds cost as much as using dope
The costs are much higher for keeping addicted to dope, because it costs you in many more ways than just money, not to mention how much it costs the people around you. Compared to inpatient detox and rapid detox its cheap, and it works.
Sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 01:30 AM   #35
AbbyNormal

This whole subject has my blood boiling. I called two doctors about Suboxone when I first started. The first one only prescribed it for pain and the second one, my doctor, takes my insurance. To me, this is normal practice. Wrong!!

We will be moving to Nevada in a few weeks and I'm now discovering that even though a doctor is on the PPO list and is also a Sub doctor, they will only take cash.

How do they sleep at night??? It was THEM who got me addicted to pain meds and now I have to pay the price of their malpractice? There must be something we can do about this abuse of our population who is just trying to recover from addiction.

Maybe a website that lists all their names on a "Wall of Shame"? I don't know, it just has me perplexed. Tomorrow I'll start calling again and see if one of them is compassionate like my current doctor is. That, or it's time to taper and jump.

Thanks for letting me rant everyone. I feel much better!

AbbyNormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #36
NancyB
Administrator

Hi AbbyNormal, sorry to hear that you're running into that problem. I was looking into that very thing a year or so ago and called BC/BS and told them what was going on with a patient. They said it was illegal for the doctor to not accept his insurance, and then called the doctor and got the patient reimbursement for what he had paid - after deductible obligations had been met. Think about calling your insurance company to see if it is the same with them.

If it's different with them (not sure if it is a Federal or State regulation) there should be reimbursement forms available so you can submit the receipts and get directly reimbursed.

Rant anytime! That sure is not fair - or, in some cases, legal.

Hope that helps.

Nancy
Unread 06-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #37
AbbyNormal

Thanks Nancy,

I will do just that. Today will be another day of searching and hopefully I'll be successful.

And if I do find out the practice is illegal, I will take the steps for discipline on those denying insured treatment.

Tom

Unread 06-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #38
AbbyNormal

I did talk with someone from BC/BS on Friday and she was very interested in my story. She said she will talk to her supervisor and get back to me on Monday. But she did say that it may not be illegal, but if they are on the PPO list they must take the insurance as agreed. If there is some some way for a doctor to bypass that rule, she'll find out.

If it's not allowed, they will contact the physician for me. I, of course would never go to one of them who have no feelings for the care of their patients and will try to find a compassionate one to treat me.

Did they not take the Hippocratic Oath to first do no harm? Doesn't sound like those doctors care about the patients, only their money.

Stay tuned, I'll post the result of my phone call.

Thanks Nancy for giving me the idea.

Tom

Unread 06-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #39
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Tom, it will be interesting to hear what they have to say. Hopefully you'll find a good doctor soon.

Will look for the results on Monday.

Thanks!

Nancy
Unread 06-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #40
AbbyNormal

Default One Answer

Nancy,

I found a doctor who addressed my question via webcam. He is a recovering opiate addict like ourselves and runs another similar website.

Tom

Hey -

jeffreyjunigmdphd created a video response to your message:
'Do you know the reason why so many Suboxone doctors refuse insurance, even if they are part of a PPO agreement?'

Go here to see it:
http://vyou.com/a/484733/

Unread 06-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #41
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Tom, he's pretty much saying what we were told by BC/BS.

Can't wait to see what they tell you today.

Nancy
Unread 06-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #42
AbbyNormal

Default Not Illegal

Okay,

After numerous phone calls to my insurance company, to Sub doctors in Nevada, and then back to my current doctor, I finally have a correct answer to this question.

When I went to my doctor seeking treatment, they had me sign a waiver to avoid billing insurance. They said insurance does not pay for the level of treatment they give to their Suboxone patients and I'd be liable for the difference of payment. At least mine took the insurance. Most only will take cash.

The rep at BC/BS has never heard of this but will find it out eventually.

I was able to find one who will take my insurance but of course their office is further away than I'd prefer. Luckily I found one and there might be more.

So no, it doesn't seem to be illegal to accept only cash. IMO, just cold hearted.

That's my findings.

Unread 06-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #43
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Tom, that's interesting because BC/BS in a totally different state said it was illegal to do that. I wonder if it varies state-by-state. Some doctors have used the excuse that they didn't know what to bill it under, but there are billing codes specifically for Suboxone treatment.

I'm going to see what I can find out in different states. This has piqued my curiosity even more now. lol

I'll report what I find!

Nancy
Unread 06-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #44
AbbyNormal

Nancy,

Great! You work from one end, I'll work from the other. My BC/BS rep called again but left a message saying they should be billing for treatment. It just needs prior authorization. That may only be in Nevada. I'll call her back today for clarification.

Tom

Unread 06-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #45
AbbyNormal

I just got off the phone with a BC/BS rep and really not much new information. When looking for a new Suboxone doctor, you must tell them that Sub is covered by BC/BS and all they have to do is get prior authorization.

My feeling towards any physician that still says it's a "cash only" program after being told the insurance will cover it, is not one I would want as my personal physician. Although one must keep in mind that you may not have any choice in the matter if the pickin's are slim. Currently I live in Ventura County and after moving will reside in Clark County, NV., so there are numerous doctors to choose from. I have that luxury, you may not.

It still makes me angry when their attitude is "well you were able to afford the drugs when you were using, you should be able to afford my fee". An addict will do most anything to acquire their DOC. Most families are at the end of their rope if you ask for any more assistance when getting clean.

That last paragraph is just me ranting. We addicts need all the help we can get w/o going into bankruptcy.

I did tell the BC/BS person to expect more of the same inquiries in the future.

Tom

Unread 06-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #46
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Tom, I don't have anything new yet.

Thanks for that info! Hopefully more people will do just that and have their treatment covered.

That is angering when doctors have that attitude. People are trying to get better - not stay mired in the same behaviors as in active addiction.

Hopefully I'll have some info tomorrow.

Nancy
Unread 06-09-2011, 11:49 PM   #47
Selena15

Oh me,I see Im not the only one with this problem.

I'm going to tackle this and do the same thing as ya'll have done. This is just nuts we have to go thru this.
NOT ONE Dr. refused my Ins. to get the opiates.

Hey,Dr.'s just bring on some more stress for all of us that are trying to recover.
GEEZ
Selena15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 12:00 AM   #48
AbbyNormal

Good luck Selena,

I do understand a little bit why they would want us to pay the difference the insurance company won't pay because of the time consuming paperwork they do to stay a Sub doc. But most won't even take the darn insurance and that to me is unethical.

Let us know how your search goes.

Tom

One User Says Thank You to AbbyNormal For This Useful Post:
Thank You (06-10-2011)
Unread 06-10-2011, 12:12 AM   #49
Selena15

Thanks,Tom

I would have no problem with paying the difference. It's the whole rip off the addicts that makes me nuts.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank you so much
Selena15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 07:39 AM   #50
NancyB
Administrator

Hi, this might be of interest/help. It's from the PCSS Mentor site. Unfortunately, it's a word document and they don't have it set up as a direct link. And it looks like it was originally a powerpoint document, so I can't copy and paste the information here either. So, go to this link:
http://www.pcssb.org/educational-and...linical-tools/

Then to the grey bar that says: Ongoing Treatment then click on Billing Information

Hopefully that will be helpful also.

Nancy
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (08-15-2011)