Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 06-06-2015, 12:49 PM   #1
Huntress

Default 8 weeks pregnant and still on suboxone ??

Well..all my symptoms were pregnancy after all! I'm completely shocked as I've been told natural conception is slim to none for me. Anyway, I called my sub dr and told her I'm pregnant, what should I do? She told me nothing. I stay on my regular dose and continue using the suboxone?? I thought you get switched to subutex? I'm scared and confused. I don't want to harm my miracle baby any advice is welcome!
Huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2015, 01:14 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Huntress, congratulations! First of all, you don't want to stop or reduce the bupe because the baby can feel withdrawals more than the mom. Protocol has been to switch pregnant women to -tex so there's one less medication in the system. The naloxone has very poor bioavailability sublingually and in the GI tract. You could also spit out the saliva after the medication is dissolved. Patients have done that when they're allergic to the naloxone and it helps to keep it out of the GI tract.

Can you call your doctor again and ask her if she will switch you to -tex? Maybe you are her first pregnant patient and she didn't know what to do? When is your next appointment with her? Have you gone to your OB/GYN yet?

Sorry for all of the questions.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2015, 01:32 PM   #3
Huntress

Thank you Nancy! I have an appt next week at the high risk clinic based on my age and suboxone use. The dr told me at my appt. I need to ween down or switch to something else. I'm scared nobody knows how to deal with this! My dr wasn't any help when I called her, she just said we don't change anything...I thought that was odd, she said it's happened before and all goes fine? I guess she means other pregnant patients...I'm not really buying that. I've been reading the baby can go through wds and that breaks my heart..I know my sobriety is important too but knowing I'm pregnant and caring for a life will keep me away from pills. I can guarantee that!! I could call her again but I don't think she will. She said suboxone is fine and I need to continue. She prescribes me 16mg a day but I've been taking 8 not 16 as it causes too many side effects. I do spit because I hate the taste anyway.. I hope that is helping some. Thank you again!!
Huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2015, 08:17 PM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi again, there have been women who stayed on Suboxone and their babies were fine. I think spitting will help. It's helped people with hyper sensitivities pretty much eliminate symptoms such as joint swelling just by spitting out the saliva.

Maybe you can bring this information with you to the clinic next week and to your Suboxone doctor - especially your Suboxone doctor. She can get expert help from a mentor if she's not dealt with a pregnancy before:
http://pcssmat.org/mentoring

I'm also wondering if you can call Suboxone and ask someone there if there's any new information on Suboxone and pregnancy. From Suboxone.com
If you would like help finding a doctor, or more information about this website, please call us at: 1-866-973-4373 Even though it doesn't say with questions, I think they would be able to refer you to someone. Or maybe they know of a doctor who specializes in treating pregnant Suboxone patients.

When will you see her again? Maybe ask her how many pregnant patients she's treated and if any of the babies had withdrawals. In the pregnancy thread, a lot of babies didn't have any withdrawals. Some did. And some of the moms have said that their babies were fine, but the staff at the hospital over reacted and called regular newborn crankiness withdrawals.

As for the doctor who told you to wean down, that's the one thing NOT recommended by anyone really, especially in the first trimester. I was talking with a maternity ward nurse at a conference once. She said that unborn babies are sensitive to withdrawals and even if the mom doesn't think the WDs are too bad, the baby would. She also said that most methadone babies had withdrawals, and most bupe babies didn't at the hospital she worked at.

You have to be confident in your doctors. If you're not, are there any other doctors in your area you can switch to?

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2015, 03:26 PM   #5
nan

Hi Huntress, and congratulations on your pregnancy! I am attaching the link about our experience during my daughter's pregnancy. I would highly recommend that you do your research and provide the scientific information to all the medical personnel you come in contact with. If you do your research then you will be able to be in control of the situation and will not have to let the medical people tell you something that they know nothing about. It is absolutely a danger to the baby if you go through withdrawals so that is something you do not want to do! Try to learn and try not to stress over taking this medicine right now. Keep in touch! Best wishes to you and your baby!

http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=20194

nan
nan is offline   Reply With Quote