Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 04-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
SUBUSERSWIFE

Smile Missing my husband

My husband and I have been married for almost 5 years, together for almost 9 yrs. We have a great relationship and I could imagine being without him. He is an addict, an alcoholic, clean and sober since April of 2002. He, in the last few years, had taken prescribed pain medication but since his body becomes so dependent on them, it got out of control and he knew he had to stop. Of course his doctor at the time (who, knowing he was an addict, agreed to "go down this road" with him), labeled him as a substance abuser. Anyway, he eventually started a suboxone program doing the whole IOP program and whatnot. He "graduated" iop and continued suboxone, doing ok but having problems with it. Decreased libido, eye problems, mood problems. Let me tell you, he suffers from Bipolar Depression as well. He hated the fact that his life revolved around the pills, opioids and sub, and wants off. He actually wants off all meds for a bit to see how he feels (been on a regime for YEARS) and then add as needed, a fresh start. He is doing this with his psych doc, but the sub taper, he is doing himself, slowly, but is down to 1/2 tab a day. Has tried to do 1/4 tab once a day but has been taking 1/4 tab in a.m. and 1/4 late afternoon. This is from a 8mg tab. He is experiencing RLS, insomnia and just feeling "weird". He has struggled for YEARS just to feel "OK". He knows his body and says that he is sure that the opioids/sub is the cause of his problems. He also quit smoking with the help of nic gum, 9 weeks ago and this has caused some depression. He has ZERO motivation and has trouble just taking a shower once, maybe twice a week. This is all so hard for me to deal with too. I love him so so much and would give anything to take away his troubles and let him feel happiness which has been absent for so long. We also want to try for a baby, we thought we got lucky in 2010, but lost it. I am lonely at times and cant give up hope that he will feel better soon. I try so hard to be positive and supportive but there are times that I just want to cry and run away. But I could never give up on him, I wont ever give up on him. I love him too much and will continue to fight for him. Im here just looking for support from people in the same boat as me. I am also looking for experiences from other who detoxed and survived the withdrawals and we were able to move on to life without suboxone. Thank you all for reading!
SUBUSERSWIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi subuserswife, welcome. I hope you don't mind if I ask some questions. How long has your husband been taking Suboxone? How did he taper down to the .5mg he's currently taking? Does he take other medication in addition to the Suboxone?

Does he feel weird taking .5mg a day?

Sorry for all the questions, it will help us in understanding more.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
SUBUSERSWIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBUSERSWIFE View Post
My husband and I have been married for almost 5 years, together for almost 9 yrs. We have a great relationship and I could imagine being without him. He is an addict, an alcoholic, clean and sober since April of 2002. He, in the last few years, had taken prescribed pain medication but since his body becomes so dependent on them, it got out of control and he knew he had to stop. Of course his doctor at the time (who, knowing he was an addict, agreed to "go down this road" with him), labeled him as a substance abuser. Anyway, he eventually started a suboxone program doing the whole IOP program and whatnot. He "graduated" iop and continued suboxone, doing ok but having problems with it. Decreased libido, eye problems, mood problems. Let me tell you, he suffers from Bipolar Depression as well. He hated the fact that his life revolved around the pills, opioids and sub, and wants off. He actually wants off all meds for a bit to see how he feels (been on a regime for YEARS) and then add as needed, a fresh start. He is doing this with his psych doc, but the sub taper, he is doing himself, slowly, but is down to 1/2 tab a day. Has tried to do 1/4 tab once a day but has been taking 1/4 tab in a.m. and 1/4 late afternoon. This is from a 8mg tab. He is experiencing RLS, insomnia and just feeling "weird". He has struggled for YEARS just to feel "OK". He knows his body and says that he is sure that the opioids/sub is the cause of his problems. He also quit smoking with the help of nic gum, 9 weeks ago and this has caused some depression. He has ZERO motivation and has trouble just taking a shower once, maybe twice a week. This is all so hard for me to deal with too. I love him so so much and would give anything to take away his troubles and let him feel happiness which has been absent for so long. We also want to try for a baby, we thought we got lucky in 2010, but lost it. I am lonely at times and cant give up hope that he will feel better soon. I try so hard to be positive and supportive but there are times that I just want to cry and run away. But I could never give up on him, I wont ever give up on him. I love him too much and will continue to fight for him. Im here just looking for support from people in the same boat as me. I am also looking for experiences from other who detoxed and survived the withdrawals and we were able to move on to life without suboxone. Thank you all for reading!
Let me start by correcting an error...I could NOT imagine being without him!

Ok, so this is his second time on sub and has been on it about 16 months. He is cutting his tabs himself, not always even amounts. He was taking two 8mg tabs a day and not cuts the 8mg tab into quarters. He is trying to take just one 1/4 pc a day. He is on various other meds for the mental illness, lithium, lamictal, resperidone, valium. He is currently tapering the lamictal and resperidone as well. He used to be on A LOT more than that. Yes, he often feels "weird", "head feels sick". Thanks for responding to me.
Unread 04-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi again, I thought that's what you meant.

I think he could be tapering off of too many things at the same time and it would be very hard to tell what's causing what - especially because he's tapering off of medications that are for his bipolar and depression.

Do you think he would think of slowing everything down and just concentrating on tapering one med at a time? For example, risperidone is also used for RLS - so it's hard to tell if the RLS he has is from tapering off of that, or from the Suboxone.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...s/a694015.html

BACKGROUND: Risperidone (Risperdal) is an antipsychotic medication used to treat mental illnesses including schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and irritability associated with autistic disorder. Ropinirole (Requip) is a dopamine agonist used in the treatment of Parkinson’s disease and Restless Legs Syndrome.

I think he'd be better off not doing all 3 medications at once so he'd know what was causing what.

For the Suboxone, did he go from taking 16mg a day right down to 4mg? He could try taking the second dose before noon. For many people, taking Suboxone in the afternoon or later has caused sleep disruptions.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 04-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
SUBUSERSWIFE

I have talked to him about trying to do too much at once, but he's an all or nothing kind of guy and when determined to do something, he does it. He is not willing to go back up on the meds he's tapering. He has been at his current low dose of Risperdal for about 3 months now. He didnt like the affects from it so I know he wont go back up on it. It was a new drug for him. Another big problem is isolation. When we were living in CT, it was nearly impossible to isolate, there were people everywhere and here in Maine, its a fairly rural area and its so easy to isolate. He doesnt want to be around people, ever. I tend to just stay home most of the time (when im not working) because I know he does better when I am there. He doesnt work, hasnt in years (SSD) but used to own his own business, owned his own home, etc. He cant seem to let go of that life.
Unread 04-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
NancyB
Administrator

Hi, that will be tough trying to figure out what's causing what if he continues tapering all at once. Does he keep busy enough so he's not thinking about how he feels? Is he able to exercise at all?

Is he in therapy, or is his doctor just a medication doctor?

Do you have any support - you're going through an awful lot not being able to get out much.

I'm sorry for the barrage of questions.

Nancy
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-11-2012)
Unread 04-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
SUBUSERSWIFE

He is determined. No, he has zero motivation and all he id able to fo is sit and think, mot good i know. He sees a LCSW every two to three weeks for psychotherapy as well as the psychiatrist once a month. I dont really have much, but his family is near by and very supportive.
We started talking about maybe a hospital stay if he cant start taking better care of himself.
Unread 05-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
KatherineW

Dear subuserswife:
Read your post because my husband is fixing to get into a full subox program tommorow morning. He too came off crack cocaine and has been in the recovery program for years where we met. Pain meds took him out of the program and set him on a ever worsening route to hell. He described it as feeling as if he were on a short leash, unable to travel, life tied to re-ups, etc. He lost his job thru cutback just over 18 months ago and decided at that time to go thru the ER and come down off of the meds but eventually went back. One year later he was back in the same shape and had only worked 3 months out of that time. He too suffers from severe depression and is on meds for that. He does take a med called Lyrica which helps with the RLS because it's nerve-related neuropathy.

It has been hard for me to get off of focusing on how his actions affect me and I have struggled with anger when I come home from work and he hasn't done anything. When the dr put him on sub when he was first released his motivation to do stuff was much greater. He is committed to getting his life back. The best thing I have been able to do is to offer outings (like meetings or church) and go if he doesn't. In the past I have struggled with feeling torn between being with him (the coupleness I wanted) and going by myself. It IS hard.

Let me know how you are.
KatherineW is offline   Reply With Quote