Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 02-27-2006, 07:57 PM   #1
stevemoo

Default New to sbxn. do u guys sleep oK

nothing worse than staring at the ceiling all night doin the karate kicks. tell me if u can or cant sleep, what to do , and all that fun stuff????????
Unread 02-27-2006, 08:03 PM   #2
Suture

sounds like withdrawal, your dose must be too low. How much are you taking? All that leg stuff and withdrawal go away with Sub.
S-
Unread 02-27-2006, 08:24 PM   #3
stevemoo

im on 16mg daily. but not tomorrow but next tuesday i will be on 24mg. mydoc said that he would give me 24 if 16 doesnt do the trick. but my appt. isnt till a week from tomorrow
Unread 02-27-2006, 08:28 PM   #4
SavedBySub

A low dose of Sub took all my symptoms away and I slept better then ever!
Unread 02-27-2006, 08:40 PM   #5
glimmertwin

I'm thinking you're dosage is too low. I'm taking 8mgs, I'm on suboxone maintenance, I started taking it 11 months ago.

When I was on a dosage of 24 and 16mgs, I was sleepy all the time, it was real difficult for me to drive, always dosing off. At 8mgs, I'm sleeping very well, I always take it at night. Maybe try that?

I wish you much luck, this medication has saved my life. I am just so grateful. I hope it helps you, too.

Sincerely
Sheryl
Unread 02-27-2006, 08:45 PM   #6
Suture

I think for steve, because of the kicking (a sign of withdrawal, and not being able to sleep) that he is having breakthough withdrawal due to not enough sub to surpress the withdrawal. Everyone is different and a correct dose now might be too high a month from now.
S-
Unread 02-27-2006, 09:16 PM   #7
SlaveToTheNeedle

I couldn't sleep AT ALL without the use of Elavil and Ambian. Its day 5 and I have eliminated the Elavil but still need sleeping medication and ALOT of it. Tossing and turning is always the worst part of any detox, seems like dawn will never come and when it does you feel like hell because you got little sleep. From what I understand don't waste your Sub for sleep, if you can't sleep ask your doctor for Elavil and or Ambian. Elavil will knock you OUT but you get an Elavil hangover so keep it to a minimum.
Unread 02-27-2006, 09:17 PM   #8
OhioMike

Steve, I am on 16mg per day and I haven't slept this well in years. I'm sorry to hear you are having this problem. Most certainly, phone your Doc! I hope they get you regulated soon.

Mike
Unread 02-27-2006, 10:26 PM   #9
SavedBySub

Come to think of it my doctor does give Trazadone for sleep along with Suboxone so maybe it is a common problem.
Unread 02-27-2006, 11:07 PM   #10
dodo

Some people find they can't take their dose of sub too close to bedtime or later in the afternoon because it keeps them awake. But I agree with Suture if Stevemoo is having that restless leg crap going on he may not be taking a high enough dose, unless of course that is something you've always had and just didn't know it. Any other signs of withdraw going on?
Doris
Unread 02-28-2006, 11:22 AM   #11
Lisa

Steve,
Just a stab, but is your last dose taken too late in the day. I was told not to take the sub after 6. I too could not sleep so I moved my dosage time to 4. It helped me....might give it a try.

Lisa
Unread 02-28-2006, 01:24 PM   #12
Phoenix

Tony never slept well, even on smack. He still isn't sleeping well and he takes his dose at 6:15 AM before I leave for work. He can't sleep even with Lunesta or Ambien. Don't know if that helps you, but you're not alone.
Judy
Unread 02-28-2006, 02:08 PM   #13
Ros

As I sit here typing this it is 1.15am in Australia. I was really tired after a long day at work and fell asleep about 9pm but after only 3 or 4 hours I start tossing and turning and having really bad restless legs so I thought I may as well get up instead of just lying there getting frustrated. Admittedly, I have been trying to level out on 2mg after dropping from 3mg last week and I know if I had taken 1mg more in the late afternoon I would be in bed sleeping now instead of sitting at my computer typing. But, if I can tough it out for a bit longer I will adjust to the reduced dose, it`s just so hard in the night and I know I am going to be so tired at work today.
Unread 03-02-2006, 03:36 AM   #14
Funk

Most opioids keep me awake if I take them too late in the day and sub is the same for me. I take my last dose at 2pm and still have a little trouble getting to sleep.
Waking up in the morning is the hard part. I only take 6mg. and after sleeping 9 hrs. I feel like I need another hour or two of sleep since starting the sub.
Unread 03-02-2006, 08:49 AM   #15
Don Rico

Wow that is weird. I just wrote a post called "Late Night Style" about sleep problems and then I scan down a bit and see this thread.
I have found for myself if I relly need it, 50mg or 100 mg of diphenhydramine usually makes me drowse off a few minutes later. But that stuff really dries me out and you definitrly don't want to rely on taking it every night. I have noticed you develop a tolerance as well.
Melatonin, which you can find at any store that sells vitamins and herbal supplements. That stuff is usually pretty effective for me. Dosages vary greatly, from 100mcg all the way up to like 3mg. The sustained release products are superior. One side effect I have I always found with melatonin is they turn up the volume on your dreams.Dreams become more real, more intense, more frequently remembered. It's a trip!
On the downside, I will NEVER take Trazodone again.
About 3 years ago, I had checked myself into a detox. Inpatient, 5-7 day program. First and only time I have ever been in any kind of "rehab". I was trying to kick my heroin dependency, so you must imagine, I was pretty dopesick. Lights out was about 10:00, with vitals and meds having just preceded it. To help sleep, they gave us Trazodone. An old girlfriend of mine used to take it for anxiety, so I knew it must be some kind of trank, but I knew nothing about it. Well that's what they gave us so that is what I took.

I went to bed, in my room I shared with 3 other detoxing guys. No sooner than I had got under the covers, lying in the dark, dopesick and trying to sleep when I got the hugest erection! It was like nothing else on Earth.

Anyways I tossed and turned... For 3 freaking hours! That thing never went down. It was awful. I suppose I could have "taken matters in hand" so to speak... but the thought of whackin' it in a room full of males kinda made me feel nauseous and creepy. So I lay there from 10:00 p.m. until I could take it no more. I got up, left the room and went down the hall to the nurses station. The clock said it was 1:30a.m.
I literally begged Nurse Ratchet there for something to help me sleep. I need Librium. Please. I am desperate. Please.
She denied me with a "Sir, next med call isn't until 8:00 a.m. But you can sit in the dining room and make a peanut butter sandwich."
Well OK. I guess that will have to do... I shuffled off pathetically and did just that.
Well Nurse Ratchet must have had a heart after all, because just as I was taking the first bite of the sandwich I had made, she came into the dining room and walked over to me and handed me 2 Librium capsules.
"Here I guess it will be OK to go ahead and let you have these."
Wow thanks!
Long story short... I went back to bed, the boner went down, the Librium kicked in and I slept for several hours.
The next day a differnt nurse was on. I told her that I did NOT want Trazodone again under ANY circumstances.
She could tell I must have had a really good reason to feel so strongly about a particular medication.
"Did you by any chance experience any unusual side-effects?"
Why yes... YES I DID!!!
"Did these include your sexual organs?"
Yes!
"You should have seen the nurse right away. It seems that Trazodone, in approximately 10% of men who take it, causes the condition known as Priapism."
Well I had heard of that before, but I had no idea WHILE I HAD A 4-HOUR ERECTION, that it was the med.! I had figured it was just one more painful withdrawal symptom.
Never take that stuff again will I.
Unread 03-02-2006, 12:51 PM   #16
glimmertwin

Don Rico -

Thanks for making me laugh! I was picturing you in a room with 3 guys after taking that traz, it could have been "Brokeback Rehab" (okay, my lame attempt at humor)!

I hate trazedone. They gave me that in rehab, too. It just makes me feel drunk, when I lay down and try to shut my eyes, it feels like the room is spinning. Who can sleep with that going on?

And I can't take diphenhydramine, I use to abuse that stuff. I'd buy a bottle of tylenol PM and take about 6 of those. I'd get a huge buzz, but my mouth and throat would get so dry. I would do that when I didn't have anything else to take. Geez, I'm glad I don't live that way anymore.

I have Restless Leg Syndrome, too. My doctor prescribes a mild muscle relaxer called Robaxin, it calms me and helps me sleep.

Gotta go take my daughter to school. Have a nice day, don't fall asleep at the wheel!

Sheryl
Unread 03-02-2006, 02:43 PM   #17
dodo

Don Rico,

Great Visual, you crack me up!
Doris