Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 04-24-2015, 11:15 AM   #51
iamtrying

Awesome Catfish...congrats on 5 days...you will be amazed how good you will look when you stop drinking...I have lost belly fat, face looks good , ..most importantly, feel good...

I have had instances on FB conversations...which went wrong because I was drunk...did damage control but i was really tired of that..well i cannot change those,..i let go...and move on...

..stay in today, don't ponder on past and don't think much about future...Just one day at a time..

Have a great day friend....
iamtrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2015, 11:17 AM   #52
iamtrying

I think something just funny came to my mind...the screw ups on facebooks, whatsapp etc..when you are drunk can be called...

DRUNK 2.0

Unread 04-24-2015, 12:07 PM   #53
Catfish

Haha! Drunk 2.0! I love it!

Yes, when I did a ten month sober stint a couple of years ago I looked amazing. I came across a photo a few months ago and burst into tears because I looked so well in it. It was a worthwhile experience because I proved to myself beyond a doubt that no length of time away from the booze will allow me to be a 'normal' drinker.

I can't remember which book it was in - perhaps Allen Carr or Jason Vale - but they said something along the lines of: "If a person announced to you that they used to eat far too many bananas but now only eat two or three a week, or only eat bananas at special occasions, would you think that person had a healthy relationship with bananas?" I think that was the moment that I realised controlling it would never work for me, but I still hadn't had enough to drink at that point.

Wishing you a wonderful day, Iamtrying. Thank you for your encouragement and support. xxxx
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Catfish For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-24-2015)
Unread 04-24-2015, 01:02 PM   #54
R. Lee

Catfish,Keep those pictures out for motivation.
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2015, 06:08 AM   #55
Catfish

Day six and I have woken up feeling relatively well.

I wish everyone a peaceful and positive day! Xxxx
2 Users Say Thank You to Catfish For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-26-2015), Thank You (04-25-2015)
Unread 04-25-2015, 10:07 AM   #56
R. Lee

Catfish, Congratulations on 6 days sober.
Unread 04-25-2015, 12:29 PM   #57
Sam Bailey

Hey Catfish,

Day 6, huh?

Way past cool!

best,

sam
Sam Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2015, 12:34 PM   #58
gmasusie

Catfish,

The worst is over! Do some reading about PAWS, just so you'll be prepared. Occasionally, we experience unpleasant side effects from Post Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome. It is only occasionally, and if you know what to expect, it doesn't throw you for a loop!

Congratulations! You did it! Now, like Iamtrying, count the days. "Remembering, One day at a time, I am responsible for my actions and their consequences, think thru the first drink and urge....relax and easy..."

We are with you!

Love, Susie
gmasusie is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to gmasusie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-26-2015)
Unread 04-25-2015, 01:03 PM   #59
Catfish

Thank you, R. lee and Sam.

That was such a useful recommendation Susie, thank you! I just did some reading on it. I remember about six months into one sober stint having an awful couple of days and not knowing why. I will remember about PAWS.

I had my first 'drink dream' last night. You know the ones where you've just had a drink and then remember you're sober and beat yourself up about it, and then wake up full of relief because it was just a dream? Yeah, that!

My Dad quit smoking about 25 years ago and still sometimes has cigarette dreams to this day. If I remember rightly they start to get less frequent after the first few weeks. I hope they do, although it's nice to wake up and go, "Ha! That wasn't real!"
Unread 04-25-2015, 10:31 PM   #60
gmasusie

Absolutely!
Unread 04-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #61
Catfish

Day seven!!
Thank You (04-26-2015)
Unread 04-26-2015, 09:49 AM   #62
iamtrying

Yay! congrats on day 7
One User Says Thank You to iamtrying For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-26-2015)
Unread 04-26-2015, 10:56 AM   #63
R. Lee

Way to go on 7 days of sobriety Catfish. We can do this together.
One User Says Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-26-2015)
Unread 04-26-2015, 11:08 AM   #64
Catfish

Yes we can, R. Lee. It is so supportive here.
Unread 04-26-2015, 12:11 PM   #65
gmasusie

Catfish,

Your success is our success! You help us stay sober!

Thanks, Susie
Thank You (04-27-2015)
Unread 04-26-2015, 03:49 PM   #66
lostdog

Way to go Catfish! That is quite an accomplishment. One day at a time..Sending a big hug for congrats!
lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to lostdog For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-27-2015)
Unread 04-26-2015, 07:56 PM   #67
Tryntryagain

Good evening Catfish. Bright blessings to you.

I do apologise i havent been able to catch up with you until now.

I can not tell you how welcome you are and while i am at it, thank you for helping me along my way! You got right into the swing of things!

Congrats, (i would like to say "well done", but somehow that seems patronising!), well done Catfish. It is tempting to focus on the days, 1 day at a time they stack up, as does the well being that goes with it.

As R Lee says, "together we go"

Be peaceful, be healthy and be strong. Loveness to you Catfish
Tryntryagain is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Tryntryagain For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-27-2015)
Unread 04-27-2015, 05:39 AM   #68
Catfish

Thanks Susie, Lostdog, Tryn. Today is day eight, and I've woken up feeling pretty low after a nice bout of insomnia. I think I finally got to sleep at about 3am. I'm reminding myself though that I slept straight through regardless of how long it took me to get to sleep, and I've also woken up without a hangover.

Unfortunately no one can feel great every day though, and this doesn't have to be an excuse to drink!

As ever, I'm so grateful for this wonderful place. Xxxx
Thank You (04-27-2015)
Unread 04-27-2015, 05:40 AM   #69
Catfish

PS. Tryn, you could never sound patronising to me. I am so grateful for your encouragement.
Unread 04-27-2015, 08:27 AM   #70
jenm

Hi Catfish!

Well done on seven days, going into 8. One day at a time we do this together. You mentioned drinking dreams, I didn't have a drinking dream last night but a dream about my brother. He had a liver transplant a few years ago as a result of his drinking and he stayed sober for about a year after, and since that time he has pretty much been drinking nonstop.

In my dream, his eyes were all red and he didn't look like himself at all. He said he had given up and would be 'gone' in about 2 months. Recently he has expressed a desire to get sober, but then within a couple of days he called me and was very obviously drunk but lied to me about his drinking - again. My heart is heavy for him and I continue to pray for him, but I cannot get him sober. He will be 47 tomorrow. All we have is today, and I am grateful that I woke up this morning and can work on being sober for one more day! Take care! Jenm
jenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2015, 08:47 AM   #71
Catfish

Oh Jen, I'm so sorry that your brother is battling so much. That must be incredibly difficult for you to see. My father has been a functioning alcoholic for about 50 years, and gets by by heavily moderating his behaviour, setting start times and limits on amount, but it's still incredibly hard to watch. I really do feel for you and have so much love and admiration for you. All we can do is take one day at a time and be here for each other.

Strength and positivity to you, and thoughts for your dear brother. Xxxx
Thank You (04-27-2015)
Unread 04-27-2015, 09:31 AM   #72
R. Lee

Stay strong Jenm.
Unread 04-27-2015, 10:17 AM   #73
iamtrying

Awesome work on day-8 keep it going...for me counting is reward...good job catfish...

I have had dreams of drinking, several of them...initially there were many...I think our subconscious mind misses what it used to have, it creates this facade for itself...but it is part of getting rid of what it is used to and adapting to new norm. When i woke up it was such a relief that it was only a dream...Again, this is just my theory...no proof.

Have a great day friend...stay strong and stay sober..
2 Users Say Thank You to iamtrying For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-27-2015), Thank You (04-29-2015)
Unread 04-27-2015, 10:25 AM   #74
gmasusie

I agree with iamtrying about the dreams. Catfish, I am so proud of you. Keep it up! Jenm, et al, please add my son to your prayers. Thanks, Susie
2 Users Say Thank You to gmasusie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-27-2015), Thank You (04-28-2015)
Unread 04-27-2015, 11:15 AM   #75
Saint

Catfish,

Congrats on 8 days sober. Keep supporting others here. It keeps us outside of ourselves and helps us stay sober. You're doing great !!!

Saint
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Saint For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-27-2015)
Unread 04-27-2015, 12:35 PM   #76
Catfish

You know, IAT, I've started to think of these dreams as a blessing, because when I wake up I feel so proud that it wasn't real, and that I've woken up to a new day. Also, I think my mind is doing me a favour and keeping me on my toes. My fear of alcohol is now so crippling and I don't want to forget that fear and become complacent like I have in the past.

Susie, Saint, thank you so much, and Susie of course I will add your boy to my prayers list. Sending you strength to help you and him get through this. Xxxx
Thank You (04-28-2015), Thank You (04-27-2015)
Unread 04-27-2015, 10:22 PM   #77
DianeC

Catfish, (what a unique name you have assigned yourself); I am checking in tonight and have not read any posts from you prior to what I read tonight. I want to say that I welcome all your posts and that I care for your sobriety and your well-being. My name is Diane. I came to this web site when I recognized that I was abusing alcohol. I feel grateful for each person who has responded to me as I posted parts of my journey. All I can say here is that I care...
DianeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2015, 08:42 AM   #78
Catfish

Hi Diane Yes, I'm quite new here but have seen some of your previous posts and it's lovely to meet you 'in person'! I'm Catfish because I have cats and fish. I have a dog, too, but Catfishdog didn't seem such a good name. Also Catfish are awesome fish. Haha!

So, today is day nine!

I hope everyone is having as positive a day as I'm having. I had an urge to drink earlier but my fear was stronger, and I was able to turn the urge into a resolution not to drink today, so I will continue to take it one day at a time. I'm not having fun with the physical withdrawal. My stomach is still very upset and I'm hoping I haven't caused permanent damage.
Thank You (04-29-2015), Thank You (04-28-2015)
Unread 04-28-2015, 09:29 AM   #79
R. Lee

Way to go Catfish.
2 Users Say Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-28-2015), Thank You (04-28-2015)
Unread 04-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #80
gmasusie

You may want a checkup with the Dr. to see if you have damage or other problems. We are so proud of you! It is a daunting task. But the worst is over!
Thank You (04-28-2015)
Unread 04-28-2015, 01:06 PM   #81
Catfish

Thanks R. Lee. I'm really loathe to go to the doctor, Susie. I had a bad experience with them fairly recently where I was given a psychiatric evaluation when I went to see them about PMS, and it was not at all fun. (Have been through the mental health system etc etc etc, but I didn't appreciate being treated like I needed a straight jacket when I was asking them about my hormones!) xxxx
Thank You (04-28-2015)
Unread 04-28-2015, 01:42 PM   #82
SecretTiger

Hi Catfish,

It's great to see you being so positive! Keep it up! It helps us all.
SecretTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Say Thank You to SecretTiger For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-29-2015), Thank You (04-28-2015), Thank You (04-28-2015)
Unread 04-28-2015, 06:23 PM   #83
Tryntryagain

Good evening Catfishdog. Bright blessings to you.

You have a very good and fine head on your shoulders, do not let anyone persuade you, you have not.

I think a common a thread amongst all of my brothers and sisters here is a real desire to grasp our nettle and move forward, however challenging, in a way that works for us.

Having been so incredibly lucky to have met you all my journey.......that infact is the best part of recovery.....the people in it.

Be peaceful, be healthy and be strong. Loveness to you Catfish + dog.
Thank You (04-29-2015)
Unread 04-29-2015, 12:12 AM   #84
gmasusie

Catfish,

I hear you. No wonder we all have high blood pressure when we walk into those clinics!
Thank You (04-29-2015)
Unread 04-29-2015, 12:14 AM   #85
gmasusie

We will try to take up the slack. I just always worry about each of us having a safety net since we cannot always get instant gratification here. We all need a person, if possible, that we can be truthful with when we can't reach someone here.
Thank You (04-29-2015), Thank You (04-29-2015)
Unread 04-29-2015, 07:56 AM   #86
Catfish

For me, right now, having this place is just fine. I do have a couple of very supportive people in real life, too, but I can't tell you how much I value the support of everyone here. When I've had a thought about wine, I always find myself thinking "If I pick up that drink I will have to come clean to my friends at Addiction Survivors. I want to do this with and for them."

Maybe that's silly, but I genuinely find this place so much more helpful than any group I've ever attended. xxxx
Thank You (04-29-2015), Thank You (04-29-2015)
Unread 04-29-2015, 08:07 AM   #87
Tryntryagain

Good afternoon Catfish. Bright blessings to you.

I was reading your post and thought this says "1 day at a time". There is such alot of positive energy about you. It will stand you in good stead.

I could not agree with you more Re this family. As i see folk here as my fellow brothers and sisters is not just symantics, i really believe and feel that. That being the case you are all an integral part of my daily life.

It is so wonderful to have a place of rest and peace. When turmoil accompanys us on our way sometimes, to share, to be able to do what i did last night on R Lees thread, and simply ask for a hug from those you admire and respect for what they have done themselves, for me, and for others, to get that hug, i mean....gosh.....what an incredible lot Addictions Survivors are.

To find courage and compassion in 1 place, truly inspiring.

What i am learning here is that i am beginning to find myself in this splendid world. I am recognising my limitations, my strengths and my worrys. All of them i am honoured to share with you, and all my brothers and sisters in this multifarious and extraordinary family.

Be peaceful, be healthy and be strong. Loveness to you Catfish + Dog.
Thank You (04-29-2015)
Unread 04-29-2015, 09:53 AM   #88
Catfish

Thank you Tryn. Sometimes the positivity is me trying to convince myself, and I'm sure you know what I mean by that. It's hard NOT to feel positive in this forum though. I can come here thinking about woe and am immediately lifted by others here. It's a truly wonderful place, and you are a truly wonderful man.

Where am I at now? Day nine! And today, well, I DO feel positive! xxx
Thank You (04-30-2015)
Unread 04-29-2015, 11:10 AM   #89
iamtrying

Catfish -- great going DAY-9 proud of you....thank you ...you help me to stay sober.
2 Users Say Thank You to iamtrying For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-29-2015), Thank You (04-30-2015)
Unread 04-29-2015, 12:23 PM   #90
gmasusie

Catfish, how wonderful that you at the point where you can be positive. Yes, there are ups and downs, but the worst is behind you now. Congratulations! We are all celebrating for you.

Love, Susie
Thank You (04-30-2015), Thank You (04-30-2015)
Unread 04-29-2015, 01:03 PM   #91
Saint

Catfish,

Great job thinking through that first drink. That's how it's done! Sobriety 101! Yes sometimes it is a struggle to stay positive but as I read once; if we look for poop we will find it! Continue to look for the positive, they are there. The miracle and beauty of life is all around us, all the time. We just need to stop and admire!

Good work Catfish!!

Regards,
Saint
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to Saint For This Useful Post:
Unread 04-29-2015, 02:22 PM   #92
Millie

Nicely done, Catfish.
Millie is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to Millie For This Useful Post:
Unread 04-29-2015, 04:48 PM   #93
lostdog

enjoying your positive outlook and support, I hope you are doing well today.
lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to lostdog For This Useful Post:
Unread 04-30-2015, 06:09 AM   #94
Catfish

Thank you so much everybody. Saint, that reminds me of that saying: "You can't polish sh*t." My reply is always: "You can if it's fossilised, but it's still just polished sh*t."

Today is day ten. I'm reminded of the fact that heavy drinkers often have alcohol in their blood for 7-10 days after cessation, meaning that today could in theory be my first day of completely renewed blood. It's a nice feeling.

It's a lovely day in London. I just wish I'd had a bit more sleep and could enjoy it to the fullest!

I hope you all have a wonderful day. Xxxx
Unread 04-30-2015, 09:16 AM   #95
gmasusie

Catfish,

I am so happy for you. You are well on your way. We travel this road together!

Susie
Thank You (05-01-2015), Thank You (04-30-2015)
Unread 04-30-2015, 10:09 AM   #96
R. Lee

Catfish, You are on your way. Congratulations on 10 days of sobriety. One day at a time & thinking through that 1st drink.
2 Users Say Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-01-2015), Thank You (04-30-2015)
Unread 04-30-2015, 02:05 PM   #97
Tryntryagain

Good evening Catfish. Bright blessings to you.

I just want to put my arm around you like all have here in saying, congrats Catfish, 1 day at a time.

Good grief.....you are in Londinium? How marvellous. My spiritual home. .......(at least i'm sure that's where i saw it last)

Be peaceful, be healthy and be strong. Loveness to you Catfish + Dog.
Thank You (05-01-2015)
Unread 04-30-2015, 06:36 PM   #98
jenm

Hi Catfish!

I am so excited to read that you have 10 days put together without taking a drink! That is AWESOME! Love, Crazy Cat Lady Jen
jenm is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Say Thank You to jenm For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-01-2015), Thank You (04-30-2015), Thank You (05-01-2015)
Unread 04-30-2015, 07:56 PM   #99
Sam Bailey

Hey Catfish,

Yep, awesome indeed. 10 sober days? Oh yeah, Way Past Cool!

Good, good, very damn good for you, Ms. Catfish!

Stay with it, kid. Be good to you; be kind to you. And respect the wonderful progress you are making!

best,

sam b
Sam Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to Sam Bailey For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-01-2015), Thank You (05-01-2015)
Unread 05-01-2015, 06:15 AM   #100
Catfish

Thank you, thank you, thank you everybody! I'm so glad to have such lovely friends to do this with.

Tryn, indeed! Norf London to be precise, although I'm trying to move away. I used to love it here but it's becoming progressively more ghettoised, and whoever gets in at the election I can't see the Tories' work being undone. It's a real crying shame. Xxx
Thank You (05-01-2015)