Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 06-21-2016, 03:18 PM   #1
cnmt

Wink the person i want to be

My doctor is always saying most important part towards discharge and part of therapy is making strides towards being the person you want to be. I want to be happy person, good wife, sister and daughter. Also drug free so found this wonderful clinic with great people through out and exactly what I am doing. Been on subs for 6 months now and feel great about my life getting more normal. Better at my job less stress more money . Spend tons more time w my family etc. NowI need to work at tapering and start make progress towards getting off and this place looks like a good starting point w all great people and advice. So here goes nothing,right
cnmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2016, 08:15 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi cnmt, have you seen this thread about the phases of treatment?
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=23809
It's quite good with a lot of information.

What dose are you currently taking and for how long have you been taking that dose?

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2016, 04:59 AM   #3
Leo

Hi CNMT

Well done for taking the plunge and working towards happiness and 'who you wanna be'.

I personally found this web forum excellent for both ongoing support in all phases of treatment and also for tapering.

I found that the best way for me to taper was to work at my own pace which I had decided was around ten percent drops (but 25% is probably not that bad if ones body is given more time to adjust), taper bigger amounts at the start, then as I got to the end of the taper I took lesser amounts but keeping around the same percentage. For example; I started on 4mg (this sounds not much but in buprenorphine terms it's a large dose, it really depends on how much opioids you were dependant on each day to keep normal)). So ten percent is 400 micrograms, so I would drop by 0.4mg. Then I was on 3.6mg. Ten percent (rounding up) was then another 0.4 milligrams. Gets fiddly when the doses get small but to be honest I found that providing I kept it a rather steady drop in dose and gave each drop at least 10 days to kick in (but preferably two weeks plus to allow my body to not only feel the drop, but normalize for a while to reduce strain on it). My final dose was 0.2mg and the final withdrawal was surprisingly easy. In fact I know I could have just left it at 0.4mg.

I know in America you cannot obtain the small doses we get in the UK which makes things a bit more fiddly. But there are ways around this and you can learn about them here.

One good thing I was advised when new to this site was not to 'overthink' things. People were right cos the mind can cunjour up all sorts of silly things. So, again, well done and best wishes.

Nancy, hope you are well my darling lady. Glad to see you are still working away, volunteering you time to help addicts from all over the world. What a wonderful site!

God Bless

Leo xx

Last edited by Leo; 06-25-2016 at 05:03 AM..
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:
Thank You (06-25-2016), Thank You (06-25-2016)
Unread 06-25-2016, 07:43 AM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Nancy, hope you are well my darling lady. Glad to see you are still working away, volunteering you time to help addicts from all over the world. What a wonderful site!
LEO!!!!! How the heck are you? A huge smile came to my face when I saw your name. I hope all is well and you're doing fabulously!

Big hugs across the pond!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 06-27-2016, 08:16 AM   #5
Leo

Thanks Nancy. And, Hi CNMT.

This is a ginormous back-at-yer hon.

Remain well thanks and today I can say that I remain opioid free. God, just read my profile and cant believe it's been 4 years since I joined here!

Life is generally good. I wont lie, and say all has been great and I have never wanted to use opiates to quell my anxieties and sooth life's pain, which all of us humans tackle in their own ways. I have dabbled a bit. But I know this is dangerous terratrey (how do you spell that?) for me and I feel I have learnt enough to keep full on addiction and dependence to any substance at bay. Also I know to ask for (and how to get) the right support and help if I do trip up. Like us all I am getting older now and don't wanna put my self through yet another withdraw. I use other ways to sooth life that don't require any chemicals and this can only do me good.

So a big hello from the pond. How are you? Still get the bears in your garden?

Sorry to hijack your thread CNMT, but Nancy has become an old 'friend' on this forum. It's wonderful we can get support from all around the world these days.

Best wishes to you both

Leo
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2016, 05:59 AM   #6
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Leo and CNMT (like Leo, sorry about the hijack). Well you know we're here if you do trip up, which I don't think you will. Just keep in the back of your mind that you don't want to go through that again. Glad you've found non-chemical ways to deal with things. Choc-o-late is always good. hahaha Or exercise, or both. Exercise after the choc-o-late. Earlier in the year, the bear liked to raid my neighbors trash bin but sit in my yard and eat it. I didn't see the bear, but woke up to trash under the tree he liked to eat and pulled down bird feeder poles!

Always love seeing your name pop up!!

Nancy
Unread 07-19-2016, 01:05 AM   #7
cnmt

Thanks for welcome and any advice can give me. Love this place and all experiences and info. Makes me feel stronger going into cjtting down . Doc started me on 2 strips 8/2 mg . Been good on 3 Halves know can be comfortable on less . Have been on smaller amounts comfortably before found my Dr so know can can handle . Does ssplitting dose into 2. Sittings vs one make a difference ? Need finish reading link showed me . Love info the more the better gives you feeling of more control over it . My work sked is all over place week to week from 6a 2 8a 4 w 2 nights 4p 12a or 1p 9 mixed in . Sometimes 8 9 hours in between shifts etc so need get my dose schedule in order and not use as excuse why hhaven't cut down as much as feel like I should have. Told doc want cut script prob next time go next month because definitely dontdon't need 2. Whole strips for sure . Thanks again for any advice and saying hell. This place is gonna be what makes the difference for m. More info and stories here then all searching been doing for years thru docs etc
Unread 07-19-2016, 07:42 AM   #8
NancyB
Administrator

Hi cnmt, in theory, taking your dose once a day eliminates thinking more about the medication than you need to. Like taking a vitamin, you take it once and forget about it until the next day. Maybe you can try taking 8mg once a day and see how it goes - that will be eliminating your second dose. It might be enough for you and you could eliminate that second dose at the same time. If you get cravings and withdrawals, it simply means that it's not time yet, or cut that second dose to 2mg instead of 4mg.

The biggest thing is that YOU have to feel comfortable in your taper and your dose.

Nancy
Unread 08-16-2016, 07:42 AM   #9
Wrl78

I try to look at it as a vitamin! That helps me to not think about it.
Wrl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2016, 02:54 PM   #10
cnmt

been doing well w am and cut dose in afternoon depending on work schedule everyone was right try to think about it as little as possible. habit changing takes time but little changes make a difference. as everyone says your own mind can be worst enemy if you let it. so between full time job try to hang out w my sisters brother and nieces nephews keep busy.
Unread 09-12-2016, 11:50 PM   #11
cnmt

Finally cutting down comfortably. Half of what started with. Feels good getting my days back. SSeemed to struggle with taking single dose and letting it go all day. So do small qtr dose in afternoon if need and seemed to keep my mind at ease. Feels good to be getting routine down and not yoyoing .
Unread 09-13-2016, 06:39 AM   #12
NancyB
Administrator

Hi cnmt, congratulations on the progress you've made. If you can, think about taking 1/2 of that quarter dose you take in the afternoon sometimes. It could help you to cut down even more.

But most of all, that's great that you have a routine and are staying steady. Great job!

Nancy
Unread 09-13-2016, 02:39 PM   #13
cnmt

You are right been telling myself still on high dose and cutting it would be easy as far as my body feeling it goes. Now that I'm in a routine I don't think about it throughout the day. Where I was struggling at first was used to taking a pill whenever iI wanted a pick me up in the past. so needed to change my habits into not thinking about it during day then cutting my starting dose from there. I wanted to do it all quick thinking i I should be taking on small dose after few months and didnt focus on mental aspect of big changes in my life. DidntDidn't work on myself and my habits daily etc. Stressed myself out and felt like was failing so then wanted to eat another piece as negative response and then got mad at myself for it. Talked it out w my husband and said doing to much at once get a routine feel comfortable w then start cutting from there. So what iI'm doing and feels like working well. Plus feel happy w yourself and mental strength is the key
2 Users Say Thank You to cnmt For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-13-2016), Thank You (03-30-2017)
Unread 09-15-2016, 06:50 AM   #14
NancyB
Administrator

Hi cnmt, what a great job you've been with being so aware of why you had wanted to take more. And then following through with modifying your behavior!

Really proud of you, you're doing great!

Nancy
Unread 10-11-2016, 02:43 PM   #15
cnmt

Nothing new here. Working at day to day life. Which is peaceful and happy for me now. Some people say boring but I say peaceful. Staying steady in my treatment setting goals for first of the year. Not tapering as fast as thought would when started whole thing but that's OK. Try not to let my mind run about stuff like that and get myself down or over thinking. Can be hard thing sometimes as I'm sure everyone knows, addict or not.lol.
Unread 10-12-2016, 05:42 AM   #16
NancyB
Administrator

Hi cnmt, peaceful and happy are very good things. I'm so glad to hear that you're both. It's definitely ok that you're not tapering as fast as you thought. In my opinion, you're doing it right. When you're ready, you'll know. There's no sense in forcing it, which could make it more difficult and stressful. You deserve the peace and happiness instead!

Fabulous job!!

Nancy
Unread 11-06-2016, 09:42 PM   #17
cnmt

Been reading a lot of stories on sight lately. Really want to do a slow taper hopefully be off this in next few years. Trying to get a such knowledge a possible so many people sharing great success stories makes me so hopeful. I am a very positive person and knowI am strong enough. Always thought once found a doc got off street stuff would be easy and now coming up on year of being on subs and cantcan't believe it . Told doc wanna cut script at 1st of year getting more than need anyway just sit on it in case pharmacy trouble insurance etc. So need to read around here more and really get my head in the gam. Not really scared sothat's good just need get started. Have great family and super supportive hubby so blessed. Thamk youNancy for who you are in this place everyone's mother figure. Helps to have as many people as can who ask and care how you are doing. I have huge family who are there for me but everyone does not. Hope you feel appreciated can stop seeing the thank you to you as a read every members story
2 Users Say Thank You to cnmt For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-30-2017), Thank You (11-07-2016)
Unread 11-07-2016, 05:06 PM   #18
NancyB
Administrator

Hi cnmt, with you being positive and taking your time you're already two steps ahead in the taper. Let us know when you're ready and we'll be here cheering you on and encouraging you.

Thank you so much for the kind words. I'm humbled being able to be here and help out when I can.

Look forward to hearing about your successful taper!

Nancy
Unread 12-06-2016, 01:11 PM   #19
cnmt

Going to cut dose on script been steady for months. Also insurance changing on me to generic tablet i think so makes me want to cut more. Never know when they can make a change dont like that. Keep reading peoples stories never get tired of knowing how many have been through same stuff.working more and keeping busy w family helps stay on track. Think about all of it less and less everyday. Habits all about good habits
Unread 12-06-2016, 01:42 PM   #20
NancyB
Administrator

Hi cnmt, what dose are you at now and what are you thinking of cutting down to?

Nancy
Unread 12-06-2016, 03:16 PM   #21
cnmt

Give me 2 8mg 2mg strips on script take one sometimes another qtr depending on my crazy sked . try not too since started get awayfrom small doses 2 3 times a day. So one in am or before work anywhere from 6am to 1 or 4 pm. Sometimes take amother qtr. Doc toldme wait tillsteady to cut script. Lock up extras in lock box out of sight out of mind. So want cut script to equivalent of one and one half 8mg 2mg. Dont know how works if different dose strips etc. My insurance is changing beginning of year sent me letter sauing have to switch to generic or something else and to talk to my doc so... Dont know what will end up witj. Been on subs for over year w doc plus year w out so think different style of med will help reinforce my changing good habits. Still up to my self power and will ultimately know that just saying cant hurt trying look at it positive
Unread 12-06-2016, 03:21 PM   #22
cnmt

Want get down to steady one once day this next month and cut script again. Then try for half dose cut cause bigger doses easier cut people seem to say
Unread 12-07-2016, 05:41 AM   #23
NancyB
Administrator

Hi cnmt, that's a good idea to keep a steady dose each day before reducing. Hopefully it will be fairly easy to just cut out that other quarter you sometimes take and not notice it. If you do and it's only because it's a habit to take more, some people would have a hard candy or mint if that urge came up to 'take something' and that worked for them.

Once you're steady at that 1 strip for a month or so to make sure you're good with it, you can re-evaluate another reduction.

Keep us posted!

Nancy
Unread 01-03-2017, 12:54 PM   #24
cnmt

Thats good idea candy gum or something like people do when quit smoking. Something occupy mind. Thanks
One User Says Thank You to cnmt For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-03-2017)
Unread 01-03-2017, 06:24 PM   #25
NancyB
Administrator

You're welcome. I hope it helps!

Nancy
Unread 03-28-2017, 05:51 PM   #26
cnmt

As everyone is saying glad warm season is back makes feel great. Love sunshine blue skies animals out and about etc. Doing well holding steady dose twice day. Need to start cutting again been sitting still for few months. Which is ok just had a lot of work and family stuff lately and didntvwant to stress myself out ya know. Hopefully be moving this year before winter if can find place i like and is affordable. Love saving money feels great. Cant wait have fresh start in new home. Live in old family home of husbands and while nice doesn't feel like mine ya know. Be closer to my sister and parents my biggest supporters too. My papa is tickled when told him we were thinking about it. Hes old country boy all about family.
Thank You (03-28-2017)
Unread 03-29-2017, 06:30 AM   #27
NancyB
Administrator

Hi cnmt, I'm glad you aren't stressing about NOT cutting back. It's something that you should only do when you're not going to be stressed about it. I'm glad that you chose to wait for a less busy time for yourself.

So happy things are going well for you. I bet it will feel so good to be closer to your family.

Thanks so much for the update!!

Nancy
Unread 04-29-2017, 02:35 PM   #28
cnmt

Happy birthday to me big 31 feels good doesnt feel old at all. People worry about age to much i think. In good place best of my adult life. Hubby brought me beautiful flowers and we went to group meeting together. Spend rest of day w him go to dinner. Wonderful so blessed.
Thank You (04-29-2017)
Unread 04-29-2017, 08:07 PM   #29
NancyB
Administrator

Happy birthday cnmt! Sounds like a great day!

Nancy