Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 12-17-2010, 07:40 PM   #151
sleepless

Yes it's the Christmas party weekend and I still have lots to do...I'm still kind of "stuck" and didn't get all the little projects completed but am really looking forward to having everyone over. Bob came over last night and we watched a movie together. I'm finding myself too attracted to him, but in a way, I guess I always was. He gave me a speech the other night saying that he is done with this dating thing, how I was the best friend he had in the world right now and how I had the best sense of humor EVER. He said he's sick of spending Christmas without someone to buy a gift for and how many birthdays he's spent alone. I thought the next thing he would say is that we should try it again. I'm just going to let nature take its course and try not to ruin our friendship. Anyhow, he untangled the lighted snowflakes that I hope to hang in the window tonight. Somehow it will all come together.
I know what you're going to say to this but today Paul responded to my fish comment stating that sole mates wouldn't be so quick to abandon...interesting I thought. You are wanting to tell me to unfriend him and stop putting myself through anything with him. I have a natural curiosity to see where life leads him. I know I could not be this strong if he were right in front of me because he is really cute but my brain is making me remember all of the really shitty things he put me through and I will never go back...really.
I will be happy when the party has gone off without a hitch but I have a sneaking suspicion that a mouse might walk across the room...I found a mouse poopie on the stove this morning. Ugg, and I thought I had conquered them.
Anyway, I have delegated all of the responsibilities quite nicely my friend Tracy made all of the food and will deliver it at 10am, my niece made the jello shots and they will arrive at 1:30 and I stopped at the liquor store tonight. Now, all I have to do is get my rear in gear and do the house. I should have delegated that too!
sleepless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 09:16 PM   #152
sleepless

Yesterday Paul Im'd me throughout the day on Facebook. He kept inferring that I left my soulmate because it wasn't convenient...He admitted that he had gotten bad advice and tried to make things so miserable that he would get pushed out. None of this made any sense...after the Christmas party I almost invited him over. Thank God for my friends and Bob who talked me out of it. Bob and I got together today, it was amazing even though we both know that we are just great friends. Both of us are vulnerable but we lived for the moment!
Unread 12-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #153
NancyB
Administrator

Hi sleepless, don't let him get to you! He's making excuses now, bad advice? He was (is?) in active addiction. He didn't want to get help, he refused your help, and then took everything out on you. So don't buy into his trying to shift blame and his 'soulmate' talk. If he truly believed that, don't you think he would have done anything to get help with his addiction? I don't know. But if you're vulnerable, maybe you shouldn't do the IM thing on FB. Stick with just posting stuff that everyone can read maybe?

I'm really glad you have good friends and Bob there for you.

How was the party? Did the mouse show up? lol

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 10:03 PM   #154
sleepless

I was pretty sure it was a manipulative move on his part but soon realized that after few IM's and him saying "I tried" this was all BS designed specifically to make me feel bad. Fortunately I was able to turn the tables on him consistently. Whatever...I agree that IM's are not the way to go, for now I feel like I got the updates I wanted and now sign in as offline.
I joined plenty of fish and am convinced this is not a great idea but it's what I did. Bob is actively seeking on this site too, it just feels weird and I'm sure I'm not totally ready for this but here goes!
The mouse (Mighty Mouse) was making so much noise in the kitchen last night that it sounded as if he were moving furniture, I caught a glimpse of him and re-baited the trap for tonight! No party appearance thank goodness...and thank goodness I didn't call Paul that night, that's all it would take is one moment of weakness and I'd be back to square one.
Unread 12-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #155
NancyB
Administrator

Hi sleepless, I hope that you have a peaceful Christmas without any bs from Paul.

Surround yourself with friends and loved ones. Relax and enjoy!

2011 will be a much better year.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:32 PM   #156
vhappy

Sleepless,
I hope you will come back and update us on how you are doing!

vhappy
vhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #157
NancyB
Administrator

Hi sleepless, what vhappy said!

I hope you're doing well.

Nancy
Unread 01-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #158
sleepless

I do check in here from time to time. I've pretty much gotten to the point of looking at Paul as just another failed relationship rather than it being anything more. I am still friends on Face Book with him and his family so occasionally run across pictures of him, he generally looks high, his 18 year old daughter looks pregnant and I am happy to not be a part of this. But I still do think of him and how much I had put into this relationship and how miserably it failed. I guess it's all normal stuff. My dad took a turn for the worse over the holidays and for a while I wasn't sure he was going to make it. We are very close, he is 96. He's making progress but it's been a rough holiday an yet another rough start to another new year.
Unread 01-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #159
NancyB
Administrator

Hi sleepless, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he continues to make progress.

Sounds like Paul isn't doing anything about his addiction then. It is all normal to think about failed relationships. But please remember, you did far more than many would have. You gave him chance after chance. HE is the one who failed not only you, but also himself.

Your dad is in my thoughts.

Nancy
Unread 01-16-2011, 10:26 PM   #160
sleepless

Hi guys,

Well, I went on my first Plenty of Fish meeting yesterday. He was a nice guy and will probably see him again. Bob's been continually trying to talk sense into me. I find it difficult to wrap my hands around the fact that it's been 3 months since Paul moved out yet I am left feeling guilty like how could I have abandoned him when he was so much in need. I know this is messed up thinking and my brain is stronger than my hear so I have not contacted him. It's just something I don't understand and wish i could fast forward to the point where I "get it". My kids do nothing to support the sadness I feel entitled to. My daughter says her was the biggest piece of scum I ever brought into our lives. My heart says he was a wonderful person with a problem, had it not been for that problem we would probably be married. My friend Bob says he's too old to change and will be a drug addict his entire life. That is likely true as he had no intention of trying to change. I will just continue to distance myself from this as much as possible and will not allow myself to have any contact with him whatsoever. He does still have two items in my garage and I have a small bag of things I ran across in the house. I may want to arrange to deliver these things to him but even that could be misinterpreted as making contact. Any ideas on how to speed up this process?
Unread 01-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #161
NancyB
Administrator

Hi sleepless, that's good that you met a nice guy. Do you have a date set up yet?

About Paul. You did NOT abandon him! If anything HE abandoned you for his drug of choice. It's something that you had no control over, nor any influence on either way. You could not trust him. Could you actually trust him now in all sincerity? What are the small things that you have of his? If it's nothing sentimental or meaningful, either give them away to someone who needs them or throw them out. He's obviously not missing them or he would have let you know. You would be much better off of if you just didn't contact him. If anything, send them to one of his family members and they can give them to him if you think it's worth it.

Every time you think that you abandoned him, please remember everything YOU did for him and got nothing but disrespect for you, your house, your belongings in return. You left the ball in his court to get help so you could have a good relationship together. He chose his drug of choice.

You have so much to give - to someone who respects and loves you.

Nancy
Unread 01-28-2011, 02:47 AM   #162
sleepless

Hi all,

It's been a rough road. I am meeting new people but can't stop thinking about Paul. He called last weekend to thank me for helping to get his motorcycle back and tonight I got two messages from him...one asked if I miss Cash Cab (which I do but don't even know what channel it's on and he always used to record it for me) and second, R U still in love? I didn't respond to the second but feel I could write a dissertation albeit unconvincing. Seriously, do people on drugs not realize, recognize or remember the hell they put us through?
Unread 01-29-2011, 12:42 AM   #163
CarlyO

Dear Sleepless,

To answer your last question in my experience - YES ! it can be easy for those of us who put our loved ones through Hell have "selective memory". There could be a thousand reasons as to what his MOTIVES are - imo it is NOT fair to you as you have worked so hard to move on with your life- maybe that it is - he sees how well you are doing, how hard you have worked?
I imagine the communication must be awful confusing at times. If it helps write a list of pros/cons - what life with him was TRULY like - maybe it will help clarify things.

Bottom line, any relationship that you feel you put your heart and soul into that was not reciprocated is rough and maybe it will take time. I do hope he is on doing well with his remission, but always remember you deserve the BEST, have faith t will happen.

Take care,have a good weekend - Carly : )
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 12:03 AM   #164
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Hi sleepless,

Gosh, it hurts me to read your posts. I so vividly recall loving my addict as I was using and getting clean. And he was just doing his thing. I can feel your pain through your words and my memories.

As I haven't felt very strong lately, I don't know what to say. Yeah, I think us addicts do tend to forget how badly we hurt our loved ones. Maybe because we haven't grown much in our recovery. Or in the case of your addict...as was mine...they had no recovery.

In time the pain eases. Especially with cutting ties. Moving on. Being done with him...

I do hope your dad is well. And Cash Cab...it's on Discovery Channel.

Someday I'm gonna go to NYC and find that cab. That would be so fun.

-DHF
Dopeless Hope Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #165
sleepless

Thanks for your tragic words of wisdom. Last night he called again to tell me about some program that was about elderly drivers and asked me to say hi to my dad. All I could say was "What do you want Paul?" and excuse myself, saying I was visiting my dad. I slipped once and called him hon, he called me honey. It was very uncomfortable while I was thinking to myself, you dummy! After we hung up he sent me a text saying "You said not yet, is there still a chance?" I didn't reply to this. I just keep telling him I can't see him and always forget the important things like HIS ticket in Our names. Remember i had signed off on the title so stuff like this wouldn't happen. He blew through 4 tollbooths and the fine is $83 but after the 8th it goes to $283. I called them and they said as long as the car is still registered in both your names, which of course it is because why would he do the responsible thing and get the title changed? Anyhow, I am trying to move forward and refuse to fall back down the mountain. I am done with seeing Paul although the possibility does exist that we'll run into each other as he moved to the same town. Sometimes I wonder what that will be like and it freaks me out a bit. There may come a time when I choose not to answer his calls but that is not right now. I still care to know that 1) he's alive and 2) a little of what's going on in his life. The calls are few and far between so while it does create a little setback it's not devastating for me. I think never hearing anything might be. I think that it would be easier somehow to be friends but I know that is also not now...maybe never.
Thanks for the info about Cash Cab...love it! Dad's holding his own but definitely declining; I will feel very alone in this world when something happens to take him away from me.
Thank you so much for touching base, it's always helpful.
Unread 02-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #166
CarlyO

Hi Sleepless,

Good for you, it sounds like you thought everything through when he was calling and texting.
I know you have so much on your plate, how is your Dad ? Imo , it is tough when we are faced with issues with our parents, for me when my Mom was battling cancer, I felt so very alone, scared and so sad. Such a hollow feeling.
As always reach out to others for support - even with the issues with Paul, Vent! Is he prepared to rectify the fines ? These are those "real Life " things that have to be addressed and I will be the first to admit, in early recovery I had no clue, I had to learn how to live life on life's terms, to be responsible , because I always enablers! IMO, if he would handle those fines without a prompt from you, it would show progress, ( and it doesn't matter if you agreed to sign for anything, if they are his charges, then he needs to take care of them.

It is natural to continue to care about someone you loved, want the best for them especially with the disease of addiction ! from your post - you are being smart and cautious so hang in there and I hope you have a great weekend. Take care, Carly
Unread 02-06-2011, 11:49 PM   #167
sleepless

Packers won...was being defiant and rooting for the Steelers! Paul called me this morning to say he was taking care of the ticket tomorrow...time will tell
Unread 02-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #168
sleepless

OMG he actually paid the ticket!!!
Unread 03-18-2011, 01:20 AM   #169
sleepless

Wow, really...it's been that long since I posted? I check in here from time to time but haven't really said much because there's not much to say. I think I'm finally over Paul although am finding that I am overly cautious in new relationships. I have a whole new type of baggage that I am thrusting upon unsuspecting men. I truly feel much more like being alone than the alternative, if that makes any sense. The guy I met we've had 10 dates and then I just put the brakes on and told him I wanted to be sure I was in a healthy relationship and have essentially held him at bay. Feel a little like a psycho! Work is good, able to stay much more focused lately without all the drama. Taking my 97 year old dad back to Washington DC in a couple of weeks. Last year Paul made the trip with us and it was great until he was in withdrawals and almost got arrested on the plane back home for badgering the stewardess. That really ruined the end of a monumental trip for my dad. I remember he left us at the airport to avoid being arrested and I spent the first few nights at my dad's. Man, there is so much I don't miss. Am looking forward to a stress free vacation! My dad's live in caregiver will be with us so I really will be able to enjoy myself...he is so excited too!

We are leaving 2 weeks from today and I absolutely can't wait. It will be peak bloom for the cherry blossoms. It was one of the things on my bucket list and it is truly a sight to behold. I hope you all can see it at least once in a lifetime.

Just thought I'd touch base. I hope you all are well, happy and able to stare addiction in the eye and say something really powerful like "Today is for me, I don't need you in my life".

Take care, Laurie
Unread 03-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #170
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Laurie, it may just take some time to be more trusting in relationships. You had a lot of disappointment and heartache with Paul, so being cautious isn't really out of the ordinary, in my opinion. Just take your time and be comfortable with what you want. A healthy relationship.

That sounds like a great trip with your dad. It's so nice that he able to do it and that his caretaker will be along. That really makes it so much less stressful for you.

You sound good, I'm glad. Keep on enjoying life!!

Thanks for checking in!!

Nancy
Unread 04-09-2011, 11:37 PM   #171
sleepless

hi Guys, i have a new dilemma...my son called tonight to say his dad needed/wanted to talk to me; it's part of his 12 step in AA. It has been 23 years since we were together and he did little or nothing to support myself and the 3 kids following the divorce. I feel like my son is stuck in the middle. My middle child had nothing to do with him for years and has already sat through what she considered to be a very in-sincere apology. You all know what I have been through recently and I'm just not sure i am able to let this happen to me. Any recommendations?
Unread 04-10-2011, 01:16 AM   #172
CarlyO

Dear Sleepless,

IMO trust your instincts, I can imagine what you/kids went through when he was in active addiction, how do you let that stuff go? However, just a thought- from someone who has been there /done that - grateful my family gave me one more chance etc....
if you think you can handle it- and if you truly believe that your ex has a shred of sincerity with his ( I am guessing) amends / step work, then maybe this will be his turning point? Maybe there is too much damage done, but one thing I know to be true for me, resentments are like drinking a glass of poison, they stunt any and all growth /progress.

You do NOT have to hear him out nor do the kids have to accomodate him /his program , but how Amazing it would be if this time he was ready to follow a program, I always hold out hope as people can change if they are willing to do the WORK involved.
Again,if you feel strong, take your time over this decision if you need it and please let us know what you decide and how it goes,

Take care, Carly
Unread 04-11-2011, 04:40 PM   #173
NancyB
Administrator

Hi sleepless, my opinion is, if you think it's not going to help YOU at all, just kindly decline. He may be doing it to ease his conscience, but that doesn't mean you have to listen to him. Just wanted to throw that viewpoint out there.

What's your gut feeling?

Nancy
Unread 04-18-2011, 03:42 AM   #174
CarlyO

Hi Sleepless,

Just checking on you, curious what you decided. Again, imo- do what is BEST for you and your peace of mind. Take care, Carly
Unread 05-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #175
sleepless

Hi Guys,

Not doing well with getting over Paul...he permeates my every thought and I miss him terribly. So afraid that I'd get sucked back in if i had any contact with him. He texted me 2 weeks ago to say he was a grandfather...that's when it all started...just another thing I am missing. It's been 6 months since he moved out, you'd think I'd be making progress instead of backsliding
Unread 05-09-2011, 01:08 AM   #176
CarlyO

HI Sleepless,

Sorry you are having a tough time with this. Sometimes we don't have a timeline when getting over someone. We all get lonely imo and often have a nagging tendency to return to what filled that void. Maybe ask yourself is it worth it ? Remember you have been through &*^%, be kind to yourself ( even though it doesn't help when he texts you.
YOu have come so far never forget that ! Take care, Carly
Unread 05-09-2011, 09:09 AM   #177
NancyB
Administrator

Hi sleepless, do you miss him or do you miss having someone? What are you missing? The nights you left your house because you did not feel safe there? The missing items? The being treated like crap? The constant worrying of where he was, what his mood would be, how was he going to react? The not having YOUR house? Sometimes when we split with someone, we start to glamorize only the good parts. But then we have to bring ourselves back to the real reasons we are no longer with him. Like Carly said, you've been through hell. Just give yourself some time, and maybe think about blocking his number as it is having too much of an impact on you. YOU deserve better than someone who took advantage of you and your kindness.

Take care of you, first and foremost.

Nancy
Unread 05-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #178
sleepless

Thanks guys, you are so right but every now and again I have irrational rationalizations. The trees that we gave each other for our 1st anniversary are in full bloom; a moment I was looking forward to and dreading all at the same time. I cleaned the Florida room today with the help of my 4 month boyfriend, found a broken crack pipe and this somehow makes it all a little better. I guess I will never really get over him, he was the love of my life on many levels but you're right, I would never want to go back there. I could never trust anything. So, life moves on! Hope you are all doing well, wish Spring would come! Take Care and thanks for your continued support.
Unread 05-17-2011, 07:17 AM   #179
NancyB
Administrator

Hi sleepless, so, a 4-month boyfriend? Do tell! lol

That's really timely that you found that crack pipe right when you were having those thoughts. Some sort of a sign - the trees are blooming then the crackpipe. Maybe look at the trees now as your new life blooming free of the distrust and worry.

I'm glad you posted and hope that spring does come soon too.
Take care of you.

Nancy
Unread 05-19-2011, 10:32 PM   #180
sleepless

Unfortunatley, this relationship is an effort. I keep saying "he's a really good guy, loyal". And, I keep trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. I was always afraid of being so damaged by past relationships that I couldn't move on. There's something about being so in love with someone that makes this very hard.
Unread 05-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #181
NancyB
Administrator

Hi sleepless, I'm sorry your relationship is an effort. But on the other hand, it's good that you're trying and not isolating. Hopefully with more time, you'll be receptive to him or someone else. Just do what's right for you!!

Nancy
Unread 05-28-2011, 01:35 AM   #182
sleepless

Okay, so things with the new guy are going well now that I'm finally "letting him in". He has been so patient and understanding even when I was completely honest with him about my "setback" when Paul's daughter had the baby. After this significant backslide I had the coolest dream where I was back in that relationship and it all reminded me so clearly of how awful it was at times...thanks God! Anyhow, hopefully it was a turning point for me and I just hope that whenever I need one of these dreams I can conjure one up. Yesterday a dietary employee at work came to me and said "People should always know who their admirers are". I listened as she told me about going to buy a car "and this guy Paul wanted me to say hi to you". She said it seemed really important to him. I told her that I had really loved (LOVED--past tense) that man. It was a close brush with another relapse. I guess we all have some sort of relapses in our lives from all different parts and situations in our lives. Hope all of you are doing well with your challenges!
Unread 05-29-2011, 11:21 PM   #183
CarlyO

Hi Sleepless,

IMO maybe the best you can do is what are doing - taking it slowly, being honest with this new guy. Remember P. put you through the ringer it is important to work out the residual effects from that.
YES thank goodness for that dream ! to remind you of what once was with P. and the chaos that comes with him.
Stay in the day, know you are a strong person whatever happens and good luck with this new fella : ) Take care , Carly
Unread 06-27-2011, 08:58 PM   #184
sleepless

OMG you guys...Paul's living with his ex-wife! How can she be so stupid?? Anyhow, not my problem now (Thank God), just glad he has a home I suppose.

Things are great with the "new guy"...there is something so priceless about having a predictable, thoughtful man in ones life. He has truly grown on me, not the typical thrill seeker/knock your socks off kind of romance but i let it happen and it did <3

Hope all is well with you all and thanks for all of your support it really did help me heal. Laurie
Unread 06-28-2011, 06:01 AM   #185
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Laurie, OMG is right! Wow, now that is something, huh?! You're absolutely right, not your problem any longer, for which I'm so grateful!

I'm glad the "new guy" has grown on you. You deserve a good thoughtful man in your life with whom you can enjoy things.

I am so happy for you!!

Nancy
Unread 09-27-2011, 11:11 PM   #186
sleepless

Default Hi everyone

Well, it;s been a long time since I've posted my almost daily posts here. You all got me through some really, really rough times. I've been in a relationship with a wholesome guy since January, despite all of my foiled attempts to hold him at bay, his telling me it was okay has melted my heart. Oaul still e-mails me occasionally asking if i still hate him...in many ways I do but I am so thankful that he literally walked away and I could be free from the misery surrounding his addiction. There's a lot of truth to the fact that trust has to be earned...there's a lot of truth to the fact that he could never have earned my trust.
I am trying to deal with my daughter's criminal record (likely due to Paul's addiction) that is causing her major issues in securing a job despite her earing a degree at a wonderful college. I'm trying to undo what I did in the efforts of tough love. She was almost literally seconds away from success. The justice system is relentless.
Paul is a grandpa now, and aparently living with his ex-wife (a psych nurse), the same person who had numerous restraining orders against him..feel sorry for her too. He is very charismatic but honestly, there is so much to be said about normalcy...never having to wonder what you're facing when you come home, never wondering when the next rage will erupt.
Again, I will encourage any of you who haven't seen Blue Valentine to please put yourselves through it...we have lived it, some of us continue to live it and most of us would have chosen to avoid it at all costs.
Life will never be the same again, life will never be better and, at the same time, we will never have the life we envisioned. I wish you all peace and the strength to seek what you choose.
Unread 09-28-2011, 11:17 PM   #187
CarlyO

Dear Sleepless,

What a wonderful and insightful post !So happy for you and your new stable life. Though I am sorry to read about your daughter's problems with past legal issues, ugh I know it can be incredibly frustrating esp when one has a degree. Relentless is the exact word I would use and unforgiving. Check into possibilities as far as the state it happened in and any assistance as far as expungement,if she can afford legal help, try that route. Good luck with it.
Anyway,thank you for posting an update, it is so encouraging and hopeful to learn that in time, throughout all the difficult decisions you had to make, that you once again have peace and happiness in your life - and great
guy to boot : ) !!
Take good care , Carly

Last edited by CarlyO; 09-28-2011 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: spelling
Unread 10-01-2011, 07:57 AM   #188
NancyB
Administrator

Hi sleepless, it's nice to see that you're happy and you really deserve someone who cares about you.

I'm glad you seem to have a sense of closure with Paul - especially when you said: "There's a lot of truth to the fact that trust has to be earned...there's a lot of truth to the fact that he could never have earned my trust." That's the bottom line. Without trust, there really isn't much else.

I hope your daughter checks into expungement as Carly suggested.

Thanks for coming back and updating us and giving people hope!

Nancy
Unread 10-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #189
jimash55

Do what is best for you and dont play second fiddle to no man,you didnt cause his disease and its a fact you cant cure it. When he feels enough pain and so down and out then maybe he will come to terms of what he is doing to himself and others,meanwhile stop playing headgames with yourself, leave him and get on with your life!
jimash55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #190
sleepless

I did
One User Says Thank You to sleepless For This Useful Post:
Thank You (10-02-2011)
Unread 10-02-2011, 11:23 PM   #191
CarlyO

Hi Sleepless,

Hope you had a great weekend and all is still going well, u deserve it ! Carly
Unread 06-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #192
sleepless

Hi everyone! Just dropped in to take a break from the heat...98 degrees and still no central air after Paul cut the line while trimming rosebushes a couple years ago. I broke up with the "comfortable guy" 3 months ago...I began to dread our time together and instantly turned into someone who I hated when we were together. I could never figure out why having someone who would do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted would be a turn-off. I felt like an idiot but my kids convinced me that the right thing to do was to "set him free". So far this summer I am making friends and spending time with them...totally a new concept and I am loving it! As far as Paul goes, we are out of any type of communication, I do however follow his court records and he has pending charges from his ex-wife for criminal property damage and had spent a couple days in jail initially. I can't believe, after all their history (and her knowledge of addiction being a psych nurse) that she would have ever taken him back in. I still glance at his facebook page but that's the extent of it. My dad is now 98 and we have a blast together! his live in caregive of 2 years had to go back to Mongolia and that was really hard. We have another person (also from Mongolia) who has taken over. He takes every other weekend off so that changes things for me a bit! Sometimes I wonder if my dad just fills so many voids in my life that I'm not really having a deep enough need to find someone. Anyhow that's just a brief update, hope you're all doing well and have a great Summer!!
Unread 06-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #193
NancyB
Administrator

Hi sleepless! Great to hear from you! Don't feel like an idiot because of your break-up with the comfortable guy. There was no chemistry, plain and simple. It's great that you tried, but some things we just can't force, so 'setting him free' like your kids said was the absolute right decision.

I love that you're out and about making new friends. More than that, I love that you're not communicating with Paul. You don't need that drama in your life.

That's great that you still have a blast with your dad. 98! Wow! Good for him! Maybe for right now he is filling a void for you; but maybe you're just enjoying being single and meeting and going out with new friends. Who knows, when you least expect it, you may just meet someone.

I'm so glad you stopped by and thrilled that you're doing well!
Thanks and you have a great, fun summer too!

Nancy
Unread 06-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #194
CarlyO

Dear Sleepless,

Wow it has been a while since an update but so happy to see how things are going. Nancy already gave you great feedback. As far as the end of the relationship- Imo - never settle, you gave it your all and it did be open to new experiences , new people . After being in a relationship, spending time with ourselves can be valuable as it gives us a chance to step back and figure out what is truly important to us, a time for growth. And you get to spend time with family, which is awesome imo.
Hope you have a great summer, stay cool ; ) and take care, Carly
Unread 06-26-2012, 11:12 PM   #195
sleepless

And, I have to admit i still stalk Paul through CCAP...he has criminal property damage at his ex-wifes and 18 felony counts for obtaining money (I assume through his ex-wife's accounts) also pending...when do people hit rock bottom?