Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 04-11-2009, 08:03 AM   #51
mendela

Thumbs up son

Hi Dave, Thank you so much for your response, I appreciate your honesty and experience in your sobriety. It gives me hope that maybe this time Mike will begin a new life and find his way to accepting that he can not do it on his own. This is what is so hard for me to understand with him. He gets sober and clean and thinks as he says "has the tools to stay sober " within a month or two he is back on the streets using again. My salvation has been that he does find a way to find help, so I feel he doesn't want this lifestyle. The years are sleeping by and his health is taking a toll with his lifestyle. For now though I will keep the faith and pray that this is a new beginning for him. Happy Easter to you, God Bless you and keep you safe. Marilyn
mendela is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2009, 06:24 PM   #52
CarlyO

Hi Marilyn,

So good to hear from you and what a blessing that Mike went to treatment on his own ! This is just great news. I know it is too soon to know but still at least it is something, maybe he truly got sick and tired of being sick and tired. We are all pulling for Mike and of course you and your entire family.
I hope you have had a happy and peaceful holiday - may there many,
many more : )

Thanks for updating us and as always - take care Marilyn, Carly
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.

Last edited by CarlyO; 04-12-2009 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: spelling
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #53
mendela

Default son

Hi Carlyo, Thanks you for you well wishes. I hope you also had a Happy Holiday with family. We had a nice day with my older son and his wife and grand girls. It was a cold day but warm inside. It is day by day, haven't heard anything from Mike again, I just hope he will stick it out.
all I can do is keep the faith and take care of me. I read the many posts and my heart goes out to how much substance abuse has impacted so many families. We all need to find within this forum some peace and love and support to continue our lives and stay sain! I keep saying to myself that the higher power only gives you what he feels you can bear, however it certainly seems pretty heavy at times. I keep all in my prayers. Take Care, Marilyn
Unread 04-17-2009, 09:12 AM   #54
mendela

Default Son

Hi Everyone, I have wonderful news! I picked up my son Mike in Vermont at the Serenity House and brought him to a longer 6months or more treatment facility in Maine. He said he can't do it on his own and needs a longer treatment so with his social worker recommendation they called the Salvation Army Adult Rehabilitation Center in Maine. A bed was available and I was available to bring him. It was a long day going from NH to Vermont to Maine, I had told Mike that if he made the effort to do it on his own to get serious help his family would be there for him. We had a nice talk on the way there, if found some of his remarks to be the old Mike but alot were positive towards his recovery. He had spent 10 days at the Serenity House before I picked him up so his mind was clear and I took advantage of that to clearly express my thoughts about where we had been and what I was willing to do in this new recovery. He seemed to understand what I was saying and said he was thankful for all I have done for him and loved me very much. This facility has a work schedule 40 hours a week for his room and board. AA Meetings, individual and group meetings setting his goals, restoring his faith and self esteem are the agenda. So I have peace of mind that I know where he is and is safe. However, I am very open minded and I just take each day, I have lived through to many times of disapointment. I will pray each day and keep the faith and hope that things get better each day. Thank you all for listening and being there for me. Marilyn
Unread 04-19-2009, 06:56 PM   #55
dave53190

Marilyn, Hope you are doing well today and your son too. He is fortunate and blessed to have a loving mother like you. And, IMO, that is the absolute best you can do for your son ........ being a loving mother. I have heard many good things about the Salvation Army's Adult Rehab facilities. Keep us posted. Dave
dave53190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 10:13 PM   #56
CarlyO

Hi Marilyn,

I am so happy for your Good news ! Thank you for sharing and keeping us updated, I know this gives many hope. I pray Mike will continue on his journey and wish you all the very best.
Take care, Carly
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 04-20-2009, 09:01 AM   #57
mendela

Thanks Dave and Carlyo, for your your kind words and support. I will keep in touch. Keep us in your prayers as I will with you. I am so happy I have this site to vent and also share good and bad news. I value all your words of encouragement. Take Care,Marilyn
Unread 05-12-2009, 11:30 AM   #58
mendela

Default Son

Hi Everyone! I need some honest opinions about what I am feeling at this moment. I received a call from Mike April 29th, saying he was now in Friendship House in S.Portland, Maine, which has 14-16 residents. It has the same agenda as the Salvation Army ARC but and the but is more freedom, looking for work and free time. I have been nervous about this because this has always been his downfall in the past. Upset when no work and with today's economy I am sure it is tougher for him. He called May 3rd. all seemed O.K. I received a nice Mother's Day Card with words from him, thanking me for always believing in him and all I have done for him, the I Love You's Mike. Well I didn't recieve a call on Mothers Day from him and today is Tuesday and I feel anxcious that something is wrong. Mothers instinct! I wanted to e-mail or call the Friendship house to ask if I could bring a cake and food there for his 40th birthday.

We are going to be camping near where he is during Memorial Day Weekend. I thought he would be calling by now so maybe I could ask him. My question to you all my support line, should I call or e-mail or wait alittle longer? I really do try to not let the past experiences enter my mind, but the many years of disapointments in his recovery have been devasting. Thanks for being there for me. Marilyn
Unread 05-12-2009, 07:15 PM   #59
CarlyO

Hi Marilyn,

My first question is does he have easy access to a phone to call you? If yes, then given his history I think I would be nervous too that he did not call on Mother's Day. Maybe he thought the card was easier to convey what he wanted to say?
If his routine is to avoid phone contact if he has relapsed then I think it is fine to call to end your suspense.
Marilyn, I pray he is just busy with meetings and looking for a job. But my vote would be call.
Please let us know when you get a chance, again, I hope he is doing well.

Take care and God Bless , Carly : )
Unread 05-14-2009, 12:36 PM   #60
mendela

Thumbs up Son

Hi Carly, Thank you so much for your advise. I e-mailed the Friendship House asking about bringing a cake for his 40th birthday and if and when could I do it. Not a word back from them. Then I said well I can call or do I wait longer! well I chose the latter and behold Mike called just a short time ago. He sounds wonderful!, busy with meetings and interviews and church as you said. It brings tears to my eyes that I feel so relived that I heard his voice and he is so positive. I told him the Mothers's Day card was beautiful and his words were thoughtful and caring. I did ask about why he didn't call and he just said he thought I might not be home and his schedule was busy, as all residents take turns helping out with chores. I said you sound good and I certainly can understand. So I asked about his birthday on the 24th of May and would he like us to visit him for awhile? He said yes that should be alright, but he is allowed one overnight a month and maybe if it was alright with us he could come to the campground and spend Sat. Night. We would pick him up and bring him back. Well he is going to work on it and let me know as soon as possible.

His brother and family will be coming and stay at the campground for a night with us and were going to go to Portland to visit with us. So this may work out great and I am so excited to see him whatever way and spend time with family on Memorial Day.

Oh! He does have a sponser that he likes, and he seems to catch rides to meetings and church with alot of the guys. There is a God out there! Yes I know it is still day by day, however, right now I am on top of the world and so content and happy. Will hold on to this good feeling right now. Thanks Again for your encouraging and caring words. Take Care, Marilyn
Unread 05-14-2009, 08:12 PM   #61
CarlyO

Hi Marilyn,

This is great news! I am so happy for you and that Mike is doing well !
Take care, Carly : )
Unread 05-16-2009, 07:45 AM   #62
SLynn

Hi Marilyn

I'm so happy that your situation has turned around. I can feel the smile from your words. It's catching...

SLynn
SLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2009, 05:59 PM   #63
mendela

Hi All!
It has been awhile since I have posted. Things are really great with everyone in the family. Mike is doing so good in Maine. Mike is so positive in his plans, work and just life itself. I pray each day that it continues and the future for us all will be a happy fulfilled one. Yes there will be ups and downs, but hopeful not the drama of past years that leave one sleepless and worried all the time. I continue to read the posts and I hope my good fortune with my Mike at this time will give hope to others who are living in situations that bring stress and uncertainity. God certainly moves in strange ways, so my belief is never lose hope and love for your loved ones. They are worth saving. Take all and keep us in your prayers as we will for you. Marilyn
Unread 08-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #64
jerryg

Mendela,

That is wonderful to hear. It must be nice to breathe, if you know what I mean.
Thank you for sharing your gratitude with us.
All the best,
Jery
jerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 01:59 AM   #65
CarlyO

Hi Marilyn,

So happy for you and Mike! I am glad you keep us updated, I can remember a long time ago, things seemed bleak and now so many good things have happened. I agree with you, to all out there , never give up hope ! Take care Marilyn, Carly : )
Unread 08-14-2009, 12:14 PM   #66
mendela

Hi To All,

Have an update on my son Mike. He called and said he has a efficiency apartment near where he works. Wow! I said! can you afford it and what do you need? He said yes and nothing I need right now. I then said I was happy for him but scared also, was he really ready to go it alone? His reply was yes, everything is fine. Call me a nervious Nelly but I have history with Mike. I want so much for him to make it on his own, which he is really doing, as he didn't ask me for a dime or anything in fact. I offered bedding, TV and VCR as he doesn't have cable. He said yes maybe that would be great but no hurry. Needless to say I am alittle shaken with the news but calm in the fact that he has done this by himself. Keep the prayers coming as I keep you all in mine. Marilyn
Unread 08-14-2009, 12:41 PM   #67
CarlyO

Hi Marilyn,

I understand your concerns, you have been through so much with Mike. The fact that he said no hurry on the TV and VCR is good sign, imo - he is actually thinking of you and not himself ( for a change) ! I also thought about this : If he wanted to buy alcohol he would have said send them asap, so he could sell them.
Maybe soon, ask him if you can come visit, if that would help ease your mind.
Mike is treatment savvy, but he also knows what to do, he has been around recovery many times before, maybe now he has realized the benefits of doing this all on his own, and feels a sense of accomplishment. Before he would be asking you and Family for money etc... I want to believe he has got "it " and is working on his recovery. I pray this is the case and yes, sending prayers your way!

Take care of yourself, Carly : )
Unread 08-14-2009, 01:30 PM   #68
R. Lee

Marilyn, Congratulation on your son's continued recovery. It looks like he is doing what he is supposed to do. Good luck, R. Lee
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #69
jerryg

Mairlyn,

That is great news.

Jerry
Unread 08-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #70
mendela

Default Son

Hi Everyone!

Well I haven't heard a word from Mike since last Thursday when he let me know he had an efficiency apartment. Yes it is just a week, however, with my history with Mike I am worried. R.Lee and Jerryg you wrote that he is doing what he is suppose to do, I ask then should I just wait till he gets in touch with me? my only means of contact with him is calling his work. This I am fearful to do I must admit as they may say he doesn't work here anymore. Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It surely is a work in progress with a loved one that is struggling with substance abuse. Yes I keep telling myself it is day by day process and all may be fine but the mind and heart keep the anxiety and doubt brewing. Keep us in your prayers! Take Care. Marilyn
Unread 08-20-2009, 08:59 PM   #71
CarlyO

Hi Marilyn,

I know you are worried with just cause. Is he still involved with some type of recovery or group or the treatment facility he went to this last time?

On the one hand I say if he is going to drink, then what can you really do to stop him ?
I know you have been down this road so many times, I understand your concern. I guess I had thought that as time went by, you and Mike were in regular contact and perhaps he had even been to family functions.
Do you think he is just busy or has new love interest ?

On the other hand - Have you ever called him at work before, if so was he angry or will it get him in trouble?
Was there something in that last phone call that is causing you to worry or a familiar pattern emerging ? Is that he has an apartment on his own that concerns you ? It is intuition?

Think it through, I know you want more than anything to call and everything be fine, but if it is not, there is only so much you can do and Marilyn, you have done it countless times !

One thing I know of Mike is that he knows where to find help, he found it on his own these last few times, he knows what to do, where to go.

Marilyn, I do pray that everythng is fine, no matter what, you have to take care of yourself, your family. Lean on your support systems.
I am sure Rlee and others will be by later, if you hear anything let us know, and yes, sending prayers your way ! Keep venting, and try not to worry : )
Take care, Carly
Unread 08-20-2009, 10:06 PM   #72
R. Lee

Marilyn, If you call him be prepaired. The news you want may not be the news you get. I might give him some more time to contact you.

Mind you I only make suggestions. Please take what you want & leave the rest.

Best of luck, R. Lee
Unread 08-21-2009, 09:10 AM   #73
mendela

Thumbs up Son

Thank you Carlyo, R.Lee for you quick responses. I really appreciate your feedback.

I have heard nothing at this point, if he is on his regular schedule of work he would be at work today. I have not called his current job so I don't know the response. He did inform his father that he had an apartment, I learned this through his brother Dan when I was talking to him yesterday.

Carlyo, it is alittle of everything I am feeling, Mike's past tricks of the trade, intuition and the fact that he never said a word about leaving the Friendship House on Wed. 8/12 night, called my work 8/13 morning to tell me he had a efficiency apartment. I guess it caught me by surprise and I now am think of the Why's! like where is it? when can we come visit? I never asked if he still had the sponsor and would still be keeping up the AA meetings and church? I did ask what he needed and when I made offers of certain things he either said no or yes maybe that would be good. I also remember saying keep in touch.

I believe too I am struggling with the not knowing and the fear of knowing with the disappointment. I have been so careful in the past months of not being intrusive in his decisions and just listening to him. I guess I have never been too patient when it comes to Mike, when time goes by and I hear nothing I assume the woarst. Maybe I need to step back and put trust in the fact that he did get help and he certainly knows the alternative lifestyle is when he starts to abuse alcohol.

This weekend is busy with company. I will just keep the faith and hope that all is well for now. http://addictionsurvivors.org/vbulle...ons/icon14.gif I read many of the posts and say a pray for each of the loved ones that are going through the day to day dramas of their lives. I do keep the belief that God is taking care him and is looking out for me also. Thank you very much for your concern and encouragement. Take Care, Marilyn
One User Says Thank You to mendela For This Useful Post:
Thank You (10-04-2009)
Unread 08-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #74
Magda

Hi Marilyn,
I am the new moderator here and I have read through your story and would like to share some of my insight with you, I hope you don't mind, we are all here to help.
In response to your not asking your son if he is still going to AA, and working with his sponsor when you last spoke with him- it is very possible you feared his response and that is completely normal under the circumstances.When we have been let down by a loved one because of addiction,we tend to walk on eggshells because we don't want to rock the boat.It is difficult to know just how honest a loved one is being when we have been lied to so many times in the past.I know it is hard, but have faith in your son.He has come a long way and has been through a rigorous recovery program since April.Your fear is obvious in your posts, but things are usually OK as of late,right?
As it has been said before, there is not much you can do if he has difficulties within his sobriety.Recovery is a life long journey with many triumphs and tragedies along the way.The love and support you provide help guide your son down the right path, but if he chooses to stray momentarily,it may be the best way for him to learn from his mistakes.Often times, relapses are the wake up call an alcoholic needs to regain focus.
Try your best to live life to the fullest, continue your prayers,and be optimistic. I always tell my clients to expect the worst and hope for the best.It is easier said than done, but this way you don't feel so let down if things go awry.
Magda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 10:52 PM   #75
CarlyO

Hi Marilyn,
Hope you and the family are doing well. I have been thinking of you and Mike and sending prayers your way!
your journey has helped so many people here, thank you for sharing it with us. I know it is not easy, but please , if you become too consumed with this, go back to Al -Anon , I know they were helpful in the past. Keep us posted, Take care of yourself , Carly : )
Unread 08-25-2009, 09:02 AM   #76
mendela

Smile Son

Hi All,

Thank you so much Magda and Carlyo for your words of wisdom and support. Well I do have great news I got a call from Mike asking if I could still bring the VCR and bedding sometime soon. I went yesterday and saw his studio, it is a two room with some furniture. He shares the bathroom which is newly renovated with 2 others that have a separate 3 bedroo0m studio. There is no kitchen facility, so he eats out. He thought he was going to get a microwave but didn't, so I told him we have a extra small microwave that he could have, also we could get him a small refrigerater. He seemed fine with that. He pays $100.00 week so this is what he can afford right now, it is very clean and it is close to work which will be nice this winter.

All in all I think he is doing fine. He looks healthy and is very happy with the job, he feels important and is very busy there. I am so happy I saw him and pleased that he is really making good choices. Thanks for all your love,prayers,hope and faith. I will keep in touch. Take Care. Marilyn
Unread 08-25-2009, 03:19 PM   #77
CarlyO

Marilyn,
I have a huge smile on my face as I sit here typing this to you. I am so happy for you, proud of Mike, and relieved that he appears healthy and working a program that is helping him to be an addiction survivor ! Also, that you can rest easier now that you have seen him ! I have to admit, I checked your thread several times since your last post.
You know how many people come and go and we always wonder how they are doing, did they get help, were they just not ready ? It is members like you who continue to post your experiences, that gives us all hope and in our darkest moments that is sometimes all we can cling to until we figure out what to do next. So Thank YOU : )

Trust the process, recovery, like life, is a journey not a destination, I pray Mike continues to grow in his recovery.
Take care Marilyn, enjoy your family, sending prayers and good thoughts your way.
Carly
One User Says Thank You to CarlyO For This Useful Post:
Thank You (08-25-2009)
Unread 08-25-2009, 09:11 PM   #78
R. Lee

Marilyn, Thanks for the information on Mike. As Carly posted I am happy for you & proud of Mike. R. Lee
One User Says Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (08-26-2009)
Unread 08-28-2009, 10:47 AM   #79
Magda

Marilyn-
That is wonderful! I will bet you feel much better now! Rebuilding a life takes time and it is really great to watch as the pieces slowly come together.Please keep coming back to let us know how things progress.
Unread 09-23-2009, 05:04 PM   #80
mendela

Hi Everyone, It has been awhile since I last wrote, however, I do visit the site often to read how everyone is doing, feeling each and everyones happy or sad emotions. Mike is doing well, he hasn't been in touch as much as I would like but his Dad visited him a few days ago and says he looks well and still loves his job. I asked him if Mike said anything about whether he wanted the Microwave and small refrig, I offered, his reply was maybe later. I worry that he just limits himself to what he can carry if he takes off. In the past he would keep cloths and anything tangible to a small amount. We will see so far so good. I do have some sad news tthough, my step daughter who turned 4o this past week was put in the hospital in Houston,Tx for severe bleeding. Many tests later she was diagnosted with Cervical Cancer. She will begin radiation and Chemo for 6 weeks to shrink the 6 CM tumor. Her spirits are high, she is ready to fight this. Her father and I want to go to her but right now she says she is with friends and maybe when she starts treatments she may want us there. It has been stressful right now, being so far away but each day we talk with her and continue to keep praying for a complete recovery. Another struggle to overcome, however, family is stronger than ever,, lots of support and love. Take Care. Sending all lots of Hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Marilyn
Unread 09-23-2009, 08:35 PM   #81
R. Lee

My best to your step daughter. She will be in my prayers. Glad Mike is doing well. R. Lee
Thank You (09-25-2009)
Unread 09-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #82
Magda

Marilyn,

So sorry to hear your news.My prayers will be with your family.Our grandmother has been diagnosed with stomach cancer and was given just a few months to live.She is totally fine now, but the doctor said that one day she will wake up and it will be in full effect, so it is all a waiting game now.I will be thinking of your stepdaughter often.
With Mike, yeah it is not uncommon to always be ready to run while in early recovery.When you are used to that type of life, it is a hard habit to break, but the important thing is that he is still doing well. Yeah!
Unread 09-25-2009, 08:48 AM   #83
mendela

Default Son

Good Morning Magda,
Cancer strikes so many families, my thoughts and prayers go out to your family also. I hope your grand-mother continues to do well. My daughter is now having difficulty in getting coverage for her treatments, Texas medicaid she feels is only there for the imigrants from Mexico. She has like many her age eliminated health insurance because of the cost, making so little in pay just to survive. Also young people never think anything will go wrong! We may need to help her financially. Thank you for your remark about Mike not accumulating things, I started to think maybe it was my imagination. Yes I believe Mike is really doing well. I will feel better when I get to see him soon. Thanks for your words of support and caring. Take Care, Marilyn
Unread 09-25-2009, 02:06 PM   #84
CarlyO

My Dearest Marilyn,
I am so sorry to hear about your step-daughter, I pray that they have caught it early and that she has a good prognosis. It must be so frustrating for her to have to worry about the financial burden when she needs to focus on her health now. My heart goes out to you all.

You mentioned she is having difficulty with Medicaid benefits. I have never worked for that department, but I have had to deal with it in every job I have had. It is my least favorite agency to work with, because most of the workers are swamped, caseloads are high and they are stifled by the constraints of the bureaucratic red tape . That being said, patience and kindness go a long way, as does perseverance. I do have a few suggestions... tell her to always keep her own records, who , when , what they said in case she needs to file an appeal. If she is still not getting what she needs, she has the right to contact the supervisor and then the director.

Also, I know each state differs but many hospitals have a program to assist people who do not have insurance with navigating the medicaid maze and/or other programs available to get the benefits they need . It may be called the Indigent Care program or something similar.
Every hospital has Social Workers/ Case Managers , she can request to speak with them, it never hurts to ask what is available. If your step-daughter/the family knows anyone who has an "IN" at medicaid /social services or other program, use that contact !

I wish her luck with getting the benefits she needs, please know my thoughts and prayers are with her and your family.

Your cyber ears must have been burning the other day, : ) Glennda, the moderator was thrilled to see how Mike was doing and so relieved for you. May Mike continue to grow in his recovery !

Marilyn, please take care of yourself and update us when you have time about your step-daughter. God Bless, , Carly
Thank You (10-04-2009)
Unread 09-25-2009, 03:27 PM   #85
mendela

Thumbs up Son

My dearest Carly,

Thank you for your informational advice for my daughter and her medical coverage. I have talked with her and it was a social worker at the hospital that gave her all the necessary paperwork to complete. The hold up seems to be the bureauacy determing if she is eligible, which I think a person just making over the minimum wage and single would certainly be eligible. I hope to hear news tonight that she is beginning treatments next week and Medicaid will at least pay for the treatments. We are just trying to keep her positive that things will get better.

Yes having Mike doing well has helped to take the stress of worry from him and allowing us to fully concentrate on Lisa. If the almighty only gives us what we can handle, it is surely a heavy load this time around.

We don't lose hope though, there is a plan that is being developed for us all and we intrust that we will get through it as a loving family. I thank all who read my posts and keep us in their prayers as we do them. Take Care yourself and God Bless you also. Marilyn
Unread 10-02-2009, 12:28 PM   #86
CarlyO

Hi Marilyn,

Just checking on you, I hope your step -daughter is getting the assistance and treatment she needs. Update us when you can, sending prayers your way. Take care, Carly
Unread 10-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #87
mendela

Unhappy Son

Hi,

The update on Lisa is not good, she called last night and she needs to have more tests this week as they feel the Lymph nodes on the left side are enlarged now and I guess they want to pin point the cancer cells so when they do the radiation & chemo they are getting everything. She is scared and unsure as to what is really going to happen. She did get funding to cover expenses and her work place raised $1,000.00 for her to pay bills while she is undergoing these extra tests. If all goes well with the location of cancer cells, radiation should begin next Monday.

Her father & I are so shook up not really knowing all the details and are looking into flights to Texas. Lisa wants us to wait as friends are really being there for her, however then she says but its not you being with me! So we are trying hard to understand what may be the best thing to do at this time.

Mike has called her and asked about her well being, which made me so happy that he is concerned about someone besides himself. She said she never got a chance to ask how he was doing. Well he has called me and has moved to a room next to the one he was in, don't really know the reason why! however he is well and loves his job and has worked a later shift, so he closed the business for the evening. I take it they feel he is becoming responsible and giving him more tasks. So we have taken a breath of fresh air with him right now.

Please keep us in your prayers and thoughts as we do for all on the forum. Things will be better soon for us all I feel it! Take Care. Marilyn
Unread 10-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #88
CarlyO

Hi Marilyn,

Thank you for the update, I have been eager to hear how your step daughter is doing. I can only imagine how scary this all is for all you. Hang in there.
This is good news that she was approved for medical expenses and her employer is helping out. I have faith, cancer treatment has progressed so much, I hope she has the best possible outcome.

And glad to know Mike asked about her, he must realize how shaken up you all are. This is promising ..he has more responsibilities at work.

Take care of yourself Marilyn, sending prayers to you and family. God Bless, Carly
Thank You (10-06-2009)
Unread 10-06-2009, 07:37 PM   #89
Magda

Marilyn-
All good thoughts are with you are your family during this difficult time. Things have a way of working out, even if it's small things.
One User Says Thank You to Magda For This Useful Post:
Thank You (10-07-2009)
Unread 10-06-2009, 09:04 PM   #90
R. Lee

Marilyn, Your step daughter is in my prayers & thoughts. Good information on Mike.
Thank You (10-07-2009)
Unread 10-13-2009, 03:35 PM   #91
mendela

Default Son

Hi Everyone!

Update on my daughter Lisa is still not good news. Her father flew to Texas Sunday and will more than likely extend his stay beyond this coming Saturday. The Oncologist met over an hour with him explaining that the tumor size makes him believe it has been growing for a year. The cancer has spread to the lymph nodes and spleen, the Pet Scan this Friday will show if it has spread anywhere else. Radiation & Chemo has begun hopeful to shrink the tumor. We are all trying to be optimistic about a good prognosis, however, the MD tells us 40 to 43% recovery. So our family is facing some sad times right now, however we keep the faith and hope and prayers going that things will change for the better. I will be going to see Mike tomorrow, bringing him the microwave and electric fry pan he has asked for. I'm not sure when I may go to Texas, it is starting to get mighty cold up here in the north country and things need to be buttoned up and things put away for the winter.

I send my best to everyone who is reading my posts, keep the prayers coming. God Bless you all. Take Care! Marilyn
Unread 10-14-2009, 11:08 AM   #92
Crisco427

Thoughts and prayers flooding your way! Keep the faith, you are a shining example of strength more than you'll ever know!
Crisco427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2009, 04:00 PM   #93
R. Lee

Marilyn, You & your family are in my thoughts & prayers.
Unread 10-14-2009, 04:49 PM   #94
jerryg

Marilyn,

Sorry to hear of such sad things happening to your family.
Sending you hope and prayers for the best.
Jerry
Unread 10-15-2009, 08:13 AM   #95
Magda

Dear Marilyn,

Any chance gives HOPE, keep your faith and leave the rest in God's hands.I will be thinking of you and your family.Bless You All.
Unread 10-15-2009, 08:35 AM   #96
mendela

Default Son

My Dearest Friends,
Thank you all for your well wishes and thoughts and prayers for our family. We are keeping positive thoughts that Lisa willl conquer this awful cancer and begin to set forth her goals once again. We await Fridays news from this test which will reveal the extent of the cancer. May we all reach out to everyone with prayers for each family that faces this challenge.

On a happy note, my visit yesterday with Mike was wonderful. He looks well and complains alittle about the small things at work. The microwave was well received. We went shopping for some healthy foods, Mom feels better that he will eat some right foods to keep him healthy. He did tell me that as he said "I will be honest I haven't been atteding AA, however I feel no desire to drink". Mike heard that one of the men from the Friendship House had been drinking heavy and they rushed him to the ER. I asked how he felt about that, he just said he knows not everyone is strong enough to stay sober. It will always be a day by day for his sober life I believe. As of now he seems to be happy that he is managing his life to the best he can. He also is so thankful for anything we do for him financally or material wise. As I told him you have always had your family to help you, but we just wouldn't enable you anymore while you were living such a destructive lifestyle. He did agree and he gave me a big hug and said "I know Mom"!

Thank you all again! Take Care and God Bless! Marilyn
Unread 10-15-2009, 06:54 PM   #97
Magda

Marilyn-
So glad to hear your visit was in good spirits!! I feel it is my moral obligation to bring light to the fact that he has not attended meetings. Slowly and quite innocently many alcoholics have taken detours from a life in recovery only to fall into old habits.Many say they have no idea how it happened, it just did- but this is an example of how it begins.I am not saying Mike will relapse for certain, but with his history the odds are stacked against him.
If he isn't attending AA, at the very least he should be working with someone who is a sober support person.I know you know him better than any of us, but his disease it very powerful and should not ever be overlooked.I will hope that he stays clean and sober and that all roads lead him back to his recovery path. Take care Marilyn!
One User Says Thank You to Magda For This Useful Post:
Thank You (10-16-2009)
Unread 10-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #98
R. Lee

Marilyn, Your family is in my thoughts. I wish Mike the best in his new life.
Thank You (10-16-2009)
Unread 11-24-2009, 02:44 PM   #99
mendela

Hi Everyone! First I want to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving! Mine is sure to be a happy one with family all together. I will be picking Mike up from the train station tomorrow to spend the day with us then he will go to Vermont to spend time with Dad and family. What a difference a year makes!!! Mike is talking about next year he should be driving again and have his own car. Then he wouldn't have to have us transport him. Don't worry I still take each day, hopeful that we keep on the upward trend. My daughter in Texas will be doing the last 48 hour radiation treatment on the lymph nodes this Friday thru Sunday, then we will know if all the cancer is gone. Keep the thoughts and prayers coming. Take care all, my prayers to all who are having a crisis at this time may they be light and gone soon! Marilyn
One User Says Thank You to mendela For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-25-2009)
Unread 11-24-2009, 04:10 PM   #100
R. Lee

Marilyn, Glad to hear Mike is doing well. Prayers for you daughter.
Thank You (11-24-2009)